2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

45 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don't get starting Garcia in Game 6. He has a knee injury, this is the most innings he's pitched in his entire life, and oh yeah he's been a tire fire in the postseason. 

I assume he's the opener? 

Dusty is laughing his ass off at you as he reads this thread.  Do you really think his knee was hurt?  It was a fake ass injury to give Odorizzi unlimited time to warm up....as we all know you can't do that if you just pull a dude.  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It can be expensive but the best ticket option for WS is to go down the night of the game. Hang out at a nearby bar. Check out stubhub to see if you can find a deal for wherever you want to sit. Be prepared to hang out at the bar the entire game and save yourself a lot of $. You may also find some stubhub deals as the game is starting.

In my experience from '17 and '19, demand is strongly correlated to the Astro performance from the previous game. They have a bad game and the next game may be relatively close to face value.

yep like anything this is hit or miss.  Last Friday I went downtown and waited it out until 7pm...got a ticket about $60 under face.  Got in and to my seat right when 1st pitch was happening.  

Tried the same for Saturday's game and tickets never dropped they actually went up, and were about $100 more than what I paid Friday.  I bailed and watched the game in EaDo.....thankfully I didn't spend money on that shitfest.  

4 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Can anyone give me parking tips for tomorrow night's game? I'll be driving in to  Houston tomorrow morning/afternoon but I don't want to get stuck paying $50-75 to park. 

Send me a message and you can park in my garage.  I live across the street from the stadium.  

• Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Can anyone give me parking tips for tomorrow night's game? I'll be driving in to  Houston tomorrow morning/afternoon but I don't want to get stuck paying $50-75 to park. 

Pro-tip.  Go park at the original Ninfa's on Navigation. Free parking. Pound a couple beers and/or a margarita and they will drive you to the game for free in their shuttle that runs non stop to and fro the game.  If you want to leave early they will pick you up 7th inning or earlier.  Any later than that and it's walk 2 or 3 blocks to the pick up site.  Best deal running in my opinion.  Probably have to call for reservations at Ninfa's but not reservations for the shuttle.  

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Also Garcia needs a one base runner limit.  If a 2nd guy gets on, he gets pulled.

That's pretty extreme.  The leash definitely needs to be short- but I could imagine some scenarios where I'm ok with him having multiple runners on and not being taken out.  I think. 

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That's pretty extreme.  The leash definitely needs to be short- but I could imagine some scenarios where I'm ok with him having multiple runners on and not being taken out.  I think. 

Like if we have a 5 run lead or their worst hitter is up and there are 2 outs.  Anything short of that, I'm not real comfortable with him trying to pitch out of trouble.  I'd rather not concede another game in the 1st or 2nd inning.

Edited by kevwun

22 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

How realistic is that? Plenty of on street parking?

It is doable.  Get there early and go eat somehwere.  Or meet up with UTPhil.  That is very cool.

I never spent more than $20 to park for Astros or Rockets games, and you could easily find it cheaper.

18 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Like if we have a 5 run lead or their worst hitter is up and there are 2 outs.  Anything short of that, I'm not real comfortable with him trying to pitch out of trouble.  I'd rather not concede another game in the 1st or 2nd inning.

I mean- or if he's cruising, pounding the strike zone and they get a couple dinks and dunks and shit like that, while we are also up a couple runs.  

4 hours ago, Gourmand said:

LAZ Parking at 200 Chartes Or LAZ Parkingn at 301 Hamilton St

Its fenced in under 59 and is $30 for playoffs but usually $10 on regular season.  Looks like its a permit lot but its not. You pay the meter not the bums.   Should be open spot until 5:30.

Our secret spot dont tell the world 🤐🤣 except posting it on an Astros forum. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Scraps said:

Dusty is laughing his ass off at you as he reads this thread.  Do you really think his knee was hurt?  It was a fake ass injury to give Odorizzi unlimited time to warm up....as we all know you can't do that if you just pull a dude.  

the ol' lewis hamilton "my tires are burning up" trick

4 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean- or if he's cruising, pounding the strike zone and they get a couple dinks and dunks and shit like that, while we are also up a couple runs.  

my dream scenario is that garcia and javier combine for 5-6 innings and give up 3 or fewer.  i don't care how it's broken up.  then use maton-stanek-graveman-pressly to get the rest of it done.  (if garcia is getting blowed up early, save javier for sat).  i don't want to be too quick on the trigger on garcia.  if he's feeling good enough to start, he can get 6+ outs.

if it goes to 7, start urquidy and have odorizzi ready to piggyback.  also pray our offense shows up.

• Hook 'Em 2

My damage was $6500 today at the World Series pre game. That’s 20 seats. 8 for the Surl giveaway, 2 for me and 10 to sell. I could have bought more but man- $6500 seemed like a lot of damage and I really didn’t want to get caught with my pants down if, for example, the dodgers came back to win, we opened there and came back dead team walking. 
also- the fees are freaking huge on stub hub. Was comparing notes through PM and one of our guys on this site bought $200 tix for $260 as the buyer and the seller got like 155. That’s brutal man- pimping ain’t easy. 

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

my dream scenario is that garcia and javier combine for 5-6 innings and give up 3 or fewer.  i don't care how it's broken up.  then use maton-stanek-graveman-pressly to get the rest of it done.  (if garcia is getting blowed up early, save javier for sat).  i don't want to be too quick on the trigger on garcia.  if he's feeling good enough to start, he can get 6+ outs.

if it goes to 7, start urquidy and have odorizzi ready to piggyback.  also pray our offense shows up.

If it goes to 7 it’s just Johnny all staff. 

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

also- the fees are freaking huge on stub hub. Was comparing notes through PM and one of our guys on this site bought $200 tix for $260 as the buyer and the seller got like 155. That’s brutal man- pimping ain’t easy. 

Which is why paper tickets have gone the way of the dodo.  Teams (and universities), through stubhub, want the 2nd (and 3rd, and 4th) bite of the apple.  Covid was a convenient excuse to take the final plunge.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Hornsbay22 said:

I almost got caught during Yankees series in 2019.  The guys in front of our seats left their Game 7 tickets against the Nats up too long and ended up having to sale after the 1st inning for $50.

Yep. You really don’t want to be sitting on $15,000 worth of tickets if that happens. 

8 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Pro-tip.  Go park at the original Ninfa's on Navigation. Free parking. Pound a couple beers and/or a margarita and they will drive you to the game for free in their shuttle that runs non stop to and fro the game.  If you want to leave early they will pick you up 7th inning or earlier.  Any later than that and it's walk 2 or 3 blocks to the pick up site.  Best deal running in my opinion.  Probably have to call for reservations at Ninfa's but not reservations for the shuttle.  

get there early, grab a seat at the bar. getting to the game is zero issues, coming back is a huge cluster. it can be easier to just walk back to ninfas or grab a bike cab. 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

get there early, grab a seat at the bar. getting to the game is zero issues, coming back is a huge cluster. it can be easier to just walk back to ninfas or grab a bike cab. 

I e done the walk back want to say 20 minutes or so?  Bike cab obviously is easier if you feel like putting out no effort. 
I’ve not had any trouble with the shuttle back, but I’ve also never gone during the playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

Thanks for tips (and offer, UT Phil!), Ninfa's is a good idea because I'll need some grub before the game and a nice little walk after. 

First time sitting in the Crawford Boxes... /bartscott.gif

Congrats!  I’ve never sat there. Typically I don’t like seats where you can’t see major actions in play but the Crawford boxes seem fun and would be an exception for me for sure. Would like to sit there someday.