2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

From the maths I've read online, I don't understand why Crane wouldn't resign Correa. Even with the proposed Correa contract, there is a decent change the overall payroll will be lower unless they go sign 2 starters. The only reason that I could see that signing Correa is a risky move is if there is thought it would piss off Altuve or Bregman. 

22 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

We may not have the most dominant pitching staff, but there is no one on the WS roster that makes me say “please don’t give that guy the ball again.”   

Framber.....

4.2 IP - 10 runs allowed

Rest of the staff: 38.1 IP, 8 runs allowed 

Edited by Js1
  • Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Am I taking crazy pills?  Didn’t he just pitch one of the best games of his career in the ALCS?

A performance only matched by Bob Gibson, or somebody…

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Odorizzi is the most rested pitcher on the staff right now, no? Anyone surprised he's not getting the start or do you think they want to hold him for a start in gm 7?

I think Dusty hopes he can get through tomorrow without using Odorizzi.

You have the entire pitching staff available minus Framber.

You should be able to piece together 27 outs and save a few guys. Of course if the offense puts up 9 runs again, it really doesn't matter because the Braves offense isn't matching or exceeding that number.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Speaking of Maton, where did that crazy horizontal break come from?  I almost had to rub my eyes after one of them.  A baseball isn't supposed to move like that.

He flat out has wicked movement. I don't know how the surprise of it will diminish in his remaining appearances against the Braves, but that break can't be easy to hit regardless of your swing plane. Maybe he can start buckling more knees by starting it a little tighter on guys like Riley, Soler, Duvall and d'Arnaud. 

I got a good feeling for Tues/Wed....coming home to win it all should motivate these guys (obviously).  The Braves haven't really scored that many runs the past 3 games at home besides a grand slam.  They didn't exactly slaughtered us in their 2 home wins.  

But they can make up for the 2019 shit...and win the whole fucking thing at home.

5 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

He flat out has wicked movement. I don't know how the surprise of it will diminish in his remaining appearances against the Braves, but that break can't be easy to hit regardless of your swing plane. Maybe he can start buckling more knees by starting it a little tighter on guys like Riley, Soler, Duvall and d'Arnaud. 

Yeah, they stopped swinging at it as someone mentioned because it was aimed at the outer half.  If he can make it look like it's going to be in the middle of the strike zone, it would be devastating.  I hope it doesn't make his arm fall off.

Edited by kevwun

3 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

That last sentence…

I don’t think a single one of those curves/sliders would have been a called strike. I kept waiting for them to sit on the fastball and destroy it. But he kept getting swings and misses.

and then Strom came out and said “throw it up and away to Jocboy or you’re done” and jocboy looked like a fool swinging through 90 mph heat up in the zone 

It has so much break, I'm not sure it will ever be a called strike.  It's a pitch that guys will have to chase.  He would literally have to throw it at a hitter for it to end up in the strike zone.  If it starts comfortably in the zone, it will be harder to lay off though.  It's something he needs to work on for next year.  I hope it doesn't end up like the crazy breaking ball LMJ showed once in spring training and then never again.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

No need to bump Bregman to #3. Keep him in the bottom half of the lineup 

Absolutely.  Correa had three hits, two RBIs, and a run scored in the 3 hole.  You'd have to be crazy to move him out of there now.

I'd put in the exact same lineup as last night, actually.  We scored two runs in two games then we scored nine last night.  Let it ride.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 hours for Max Fried to contemplate the fact that he's about to get lit up for his third straight playoff start and everyone will say he single-handedly cost them a World Championship if he doesn't get his act together, except that he can't because he's completely hit the wall, etc.

• Like 3

moving bregman back up is idiotic.  it's not like we benched him - he's hitting 7th.  our lineup has proven over and over that you can produce and affect the game from any spot in the lineup, especially in an al stadium.  stick with what works.  if bregman goes 3-5 with a bomb, it doesn't matter where he's hitting.

• Hook 'Em 2