2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Saw this on a fangraphs post about players who are already showing changes this year:

4. Max exit velocity gainers.

A new high in Max Exit Velocity over 108 mph (explanation here) can point to a power uptick. Two hitters improved off their 2020 highs.

Hitters with New Max EV
Name 2020 Max EV 2021 Max EV Gain
Austin Riley 111.1 112.1 1.0
Michael Brantley 105.3 109.2 3.9

Brantley’s bump is pretty dramatic. He had not hit a ball that had since 2017.

After 2 games, he now has five balls in play with higher EV than his max from last year:

• Line out to SS in the 6th on opening day at 109.2
  • HR in the 8th on opening day at 107.9
  • Double in the 3rd last night at 106.7
  • Line out to SS in the 7th last night at 105.7
  • Double in the 9th last night at 107.6
  • Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I think Bregs thrives off fan energy, both boos and cheers. His entire vibe was off last season with the empty stadiums but the swag definitely seems back now.

Very much this. It looks like he might like getting booed even better than getting cheered, which is good because they'll get plenty of it this year

Much better than wasting Springer's power in the leadoff spot.

In all seriousness I'm completely on board with the sabr position that batting order doesn't matter.  As long as we put our 6 above average hitters in the first 6 positions in some order we're not going to go too wrong.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, WBT said:

Saw this on a fangraphs post about players who are already showing changes this year:

After 2 games, he now has five balls in play with higher EV than his max from last year:

• Line out to SS in the 6th on opening day at 109.2
  • HR in the 8th on opening day at 107.9
  • Double in the 3rd last night at 106.7
  • Line out to SS in the 7th last night at 105.7
  • Double in the 9th last night at 107.6

Nice of Brantley to finally embrace a little growth hormone. I’d hate to think the cheating is contained in trash cans and the like. 
better living through pharmaceuticals 

1 hour ago, WBT said:

Much better than wasting Springer's power in the leadoff spot.

In all seriousness I'm completely on board with the sabr position that batting order doesn't matter.  As long as we put our 6 above average hitters in the first 6 positions in some order we're not going to go too wrong.

Well if Gurriel continues then it's 7 above average hitters, and if the Astros get serious and go sign a real OF to replace Straw it could be 8.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Well if Gurriel continues then it's 7 above average hitters, and if the Astros get serious and go sign a real OF to replace Straw it could be 8.

good point.  it's possible that gurriel's demise has been greatly exaggerated.  a capable (not all-star level) yuli really stretches it out and ensures zero freebie innings for opposing staffs.

the only curious part to me so far has been the ordering of straw and maldonado (or castro i guess).  i always assumed straw would hit 9th almost like a 2nd leadoff guy when the lineup turns and whomever our c was would have some rbi chances at 8.  straw seems to have had a lot of rbi chances through 2 games and the results have been...not great.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

The only person who can stop Bregman is Dusty Baker:

For christ's sake, Dusty...just because Diaz is taking Bregman's place in the lineup doesn't mean he has to bat 3rd.

Give your best hitter the most opportunities to hit. Why is this seemingly so difficult to comprehend?

• Hook 'Em 3