2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 hours ago, Gourmand said:

it's baffling man. i finally gave up ever trying to find the Astros on my radio dial and just pay for the MLB.TV package so I can listen through my car's bluetooth

MLB makes it hard to find, but they have a much cheaper radio-only app....I had to get that app because you can't reliably pick up 790 at night down here near Sweeny, which is also ridiculous. Radio ain't what it used to be -- 30 years ago it would have been relayed out of some small station in Lake Jackson or Bay City. Remember when Milo would spend a whole inning name-checking affiliates in tiny towns like Ganado and Cuero and shit?  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

MLB makes it hard to find, but they have a much cheaper radio-only app..

Yep yep, I was a regular MLB At Bat subscriber until last year when r/mlbstreams got banned and since I'd already cut the cable cord I ponied up for MLB.TV (using a VPN). It's great to have because I can watch replays of any game as well as all the Astros games and all the radio feeds. For example, I can go watch the entirety of the Yankees/Red Sox 8th inning to feel the pure schadenfreude of Yankee Fan melting down over that punch in the nuts.

Edited by Gourmand
  • Haha 1

Wellllll shiiiiiit, it just occurred to me that after the Astros head south for San Fran from Seattle, the pitcher has to hit for five consecutive games. 

How do you think Dusty manages around no DH? Yordan to the bench and Brantley in left? The only NL road trip thus far this season was to Colorado when all the position players were still healthy and Altuve had not yet come off of the covid IL. Fuckin sucks to lose one of those bats. 

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

MLB makes it hard to find, but they have a much cheaper radio-only app....I had to get that app because you can't reliably pick up 790 at night down here near Sweeny, which is also ridiculous. Radio ain't what it used to be -- 30 years ago it would have been relayed out of some small station in Lake Jackson or Bay City. Remember when Milo would spend a whole inning name-checking affiliates in tiny towns like Ganado and Cuero and shit?  

Yeah it's still fucking stupid they moved off of the 740 blowtorch.  You could pick that up damn near all the way to Austin.  790 is feeble.

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Yep yep, I was a regular MLB At Bat subscriber until last year when r/mlbstreams got banned and since I'd already cut the cable cord I ponied up for MLB.TV (using a VPN). It's great to have because I can watch replays of any game as well as all the Astros games and all the radio feeds. For example, I can go watch the entirety of the Yankees/Red Sox 8th inning to feel the pure schadenfreude of Yankee Fan melting down over that punch in the nuts.

Ummm...I stream virtually every Astros game for free on bilasport.

They do NOT offer the replay games like you are describing, but live games are still available.

I knew we weren't going to do it, but I wanted Nelson Cruz and Max Scherzer.  I figured no actual real prospect cost either way- both deals could get done mainly with money.  What was the return for Cruz- was it a bag of shag balls and a PTBNL or did anything of actual value transfer hands?

Scherzer could be had for just money.  Depends on how much you would want/be willing to pony up.  

17 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Our offense needs to wake up to avoid close games against Seattle. Their record in 1 run games and extras is ridiculous. 

23-8 in 1 run games. 10-1 in extra innings. That’s how the Mariners are 8 games above .500 with a -52 run differential 

Edited by TonyTexas

6 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

23-8 in 1 run games. 10-1 in extra innings. That’s how the Mariners are 8 games above .500 with a -52 run differential 

Three of the seven games vs Seattle  this year have been one-run games, and the Mariners won two of them.

Astros lead the season series 4-3 by taking three of four in Houston.

8 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Three of the seven games vs Seattle  this year have been one-run games, and the Mariners won two of them.

Astros lead the season series 4-3 by taking three of four in Houston.

Yep- and when we played in Seattle it was a covid decimated team.  Basically, they play us a lot coming up and they won't be wild card contenders anymore after that happens. You are welcome Oakland.  

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep- and when we played in Seattle it was a covid decimated team.  Basically, they play us a lot coming up and they won't be wild card contenders anymore after that happens. You are welcome Oakland.  

I hope you're right but I'd be lying if I said I thought this series would be a cakewalk for the Astros with the way the offense is going right now.