2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Athletic write up

Spoiler

Astros close RHP Phil Maton from Cleveland

By Rachel G. Bowers

July 30, 2021 at 2:46 PM CDT

The Astros acquired right-handed reliever Phil Maton and catching prospect Yanier Diaz from Cleveland, a source told The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal before the deal was made official. Cleveland got back center fielder Myles Straw.

Zack Meisel, Cleveland beat writer: Cleveland swung a pair of trades just before the deadline, sending Maton and Diaz to Houston in exchange for Straw, and shipping outfielder Jordan Luplow and reliever D.J. Johnson to Tampa for pitching prospect Peyton Battenfield. Straw rates among the league’s best in terms of swing-and-miss rate and defensive metrics. He doesn’t hit for power (three career home runs in 198 games), but he can swipe a bunch of bases. Luplow had just joined the club in Chicago and was to be activated from the injured list in time for its series opener against the White Sox on Friday. Battenfield owns a 2.14 ERA between High A and Double A this season, with 95 strikeouts in 67 1/3 innings.

Jake Kaplan, Astros beat writer: In Maton, the Astros got a reliever who has two more seasons after this one before he reaches free agency. But they gave up Straw, their starting center fielder, who is still in his pre-arb years and was a 1.5-bWAR player in ~100 games in '21. Creative but risky.

The Indians guy stillbthinks Straw is good at stealing bases.

3 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

As long as we win the WS and resign Correa, I'm cool with Click.

We were cheap at the trade deadline and didn’t get his agreement done by the end of spring training. I do not trust Ownership to pony up for CC

14 minutes ago, elfenix said:
2 hours ago, TonyTexas said:
Fire up the jet, Jim  Probably not a whole lot of good flights from El Paso to S.F.

I'm sure he can catch a southwest flight that goes EP > Dallas > MCI > Vegas > SLC > LAX > SFO

That's nuts, he should fly to SJC then drive up 280.

2 hours ago, Scraps said:

Bielak has to be one

Agreed, he's a given since he can be optioned as often as needed this year. So that leaves one more spot to go and I doubt it's Robel Garcia because he's the only backup infielder on the roster. 

I'd guess it has to be either Raley or Montero.

ETA: Or I guess they could also option Abreu, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me if they want to keep power arms in play. 

Edited by Gourmand

27 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Agreed, he's a given since he can be optioned as often as needed this year. So that leaves one more spot to go and I doubt it's Robel Garcia because he's the only backup infielder on the roster. 

I'd guess it has to be either Raley or Montero.

ETA: Or I guess they could also option Abreu, but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me if they want to keep power arms in play. 

edit, never mind. I figure it out.

Edited by HtownHorn