Great sushi dish at hime

markstanco

At home. Sorry. Can't edit title.

My recipe, you can alter to taste. I may have posted this on TOS, can't remember.

Central market (or similar) sashimi grade tuna. About a pound. Cube it, 1/2 inch in size. Do not cook.

Finely chopped green onions, I use about 4 inches of the handful you get at the store.

Medium cucumber and cube like the tuna. Don't cook that either.

Black and white sesame seeds raw, toast over low heat until approaching getting too done. This is important for the flavor profile. I toast on low an extra 45 seconds to a minute. The white ones should be light brown. Constantly stir while cooking.

Avocado, 2 small or one large. I like to get one that feels like it is about 2 days away from eating. A soft one falls apart during the stirring, even if you go slow.

1/2 of a large jap de-seeded and really finely chopped.

One small lime, juice of it. Then, add about 3 ounces of light soy sauce or to taste. Regular soy will crush the other flavors with a giant salt taste.

To prepare: tuna, onions, cucumber, japs...in a bowl then mix the lime and soy in. Stir for a while until incorporated. I then add the Avocado and add a little sesame, fold it over a few times then more sesame. Fold over a few more times then let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours so the flavors blend better.

Must be made the day to consume, shit gets soggy after about 6 hours but eating immediately sucks as well, too firm.

Mine is 'marinating' now.

51 minutes ago, Smax said:

yeah i guess technically its not, its what I eat at sushi places so I just associate it as one and the same

I always consider "sushi" to be Japanese generic for both Nagiri and Sashimi. Kinda like how a steak (generic) is used for filets, ribeyes, porterhouses, sirloin, etc.

CHIEF

• 6 months later...
On 4/2/2021 at 12:49 PM, irishtexan said:

I made poke last night 395d4b3b8d80afd26493a48e2936583b.jpg

That looks great. I want to start making poke and sushi at home. Educate me on what fish to select from the grocery. I prefer tuna and salmon and as I understand sushi grade in the US means deep frozen for some period of hours. What do I ask for from the butcher, at say H‑E‑B, if I want tuna or salmon for sushi in order to get the right fish? Which types of tuna and salmon are best?

Edited by FizzleFish

My HEB doesn't have sushi-grade fish. I have to go to central market. They sell frozen cuts of both tuna and salmon. Let it thaw in the fridge for a few days. Then all you do, for poke, is dice it, toss it in some soy sauce and maybe some sort of hot sauce of your choosing, and throw it in a bowl with whatever the fuck you want. I usually do brown rice, cucumber, avocado, jalapeno, green onions, and some sesame seeds. 

For sushi, it's a little more of a pain in the ass. I'd watch an instructional video. You need one of those bamboo rolling pads. I suck at making sushi rice so I let my wife make the rice. Then you have to get the seaweed wrappers and lay a thin layer of the rice on the seaweed, and then fill it with whatever you want - typically much of the same shit as above - cucumber, avocado and jalapeno, maybe a spicy mayo. Then roll them bitches up. there are a million recipes out there, but basically it's just seaweed wrap, rice, fish and fillings, roll it up, and then slice it up.