MTV's The Challenge: Olds. aka All Stars

shadow_operative

13 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

since i've got paramount+ (oh yeah, lol at TJ using the word "paramount" and then going "that shit was sick. 😂) i'm going tj start rewatching old seasons. gonna start right now with Fresh Meat II which is season 19. from what i remember it's a kickass season. 

I just started The Duel last night.  It's the first season for Bananas, so it's weird watching him as the rookie that's completely irrelevant.  And he sounds 12 years old.  Oh, and guess what.  Anneesa completely sucked at every challenge 15 years ago too.  Eliminations, I'm sure she'll beast those.  But the daily challenges, which tend to show a player's versatility a lot more, she is just fucking awful.  

There are a lot of weak competitors that have no business in an all star cast, but I wouldn't mind them doing this every other year to check in on old cast members and observe how despite their age, they still act like giant, irrational children when dropped into this environment.  Just don't bring back the same cast members each time like Aneesa ffs, make it a smaller cast and try to get fresh contestants each time.

On 5/12/2021 at 9:05 AM, Chips O'Toole said:

There are a lot of weak competitors that have no business in an all star cast, but I wouldn't mind them doing this every other year to check in on old cast members and observe how despite their age, they still act like giant, irrational children when dropped into this environment.  Just don't bring back the same cast members each time like Aneesa ffs, make it a smaller cast and try to get fresh contestants each time.

I've started rewatching some old seasons and there are a ton of players I'd like to see back.  Compared to what they actually brought back, I gotta think they asked some of the women.  This crop is embarrassing.  The problem with these women isn't that they've lost it.  It's that, outside of Kendal, they never had it.  Kendall played one team season, won one individual challenge, and her team of 8 people won.  One of those 8 was Katie, so team wins are pretty weak to begin with.  So really, none of them ever had it.  Kendal just managed to stay in shape.  Ev, Jillian, Laurel, Svetlana, Robin, Paula, Johanna, and Rachel Robinson would be an upgrade on what we have this season.   

4 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

I've started rewatching some old seasons and there are a ton of players I'd like to see back.  Compared to what they actually brought back, I gotta think they asked some of the women.  This crop is embarrassing.  The problem with these women isn't that they've lost it.  It's that, outside of Kendal, they never had it.  Kendall played one team season, won one individual challenge, and her team of 8 people won.  One of those 8 was Katie, so team wins are pretty weak to begin with.  So really, none of them ever had it.  Kendal just managed to stay in shape.  Ev, Jillian, Laurel, Svetlana, Robin, Paula, Johanna, and Rachel Robinson would be an upgrade on what we have this season.   

As terrible as Robin and Johanna were, they probably would be an upgrade. The rest for sure. Julie and Veronica would have made good tv. Tina or Coral would have been great. I'm pretty sure Sarah is done for good or she would have come back to one of the regular seasons, but I'd like to see her again. 

The full challenge rewatch is highly rewarding. We started as far back as we could go, but the Gauntlet 1 is probably where I would mark the beginning of the good seasons. 

As terrible as Robin and Johanna were, they probably would be an upgrade. The rest for sure. Julie and Veronica would have made good tv. Tina or Coral would have been great. I'm pretty sure Sarah is done for good or she would have come back to one of the regular seasons, but I'd like to see her again. 
The full challenge rewatch is highly rewarding. We started as far back as we could go, but the Gauntlet 1 is probably where I would mark the beginning of the good seasons. 

Jo and Robin are awful, but at this point I’d rather watch new incompetent women than this batch.

Paramount + starts with season 11 (Gauntlet II) so I started there. Where can you see the first 10 seasons.

Things I’ve relearned so far from the rewatch.

Paula was terrible and got so pissed when people wouldn’t drag her all the way to a W in the final.

Tori is so immature. I always figured the divorce was Brad’s fault. Not so sure now.

It’s really satisfying to watch Bananas get treated like a newbie bitch his first few seasons.

Landon was a bad ass. Dunbar is Landon minus strength, agility and likability.

Aneesa has always been terrible at daily challenges. First out almost every time.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Cara's Boston accent on FM II is jarring. Speaking of jarring, this was the first elimination on FM II:

A322D873-5BAE-4A85-A0C3-532BCE580BD1.jpeg

a six mile trek through the forest, while wearing weighted backpacks, festuring multiple puzzle stations. they take it so much easier on the cast these days when it comes to both dailies and eliminations.

Edited by shadow_operative

Big Easy owning Nehemiah first at the bar and then in the elimination was hilarious. Nehemiah got all in his feelings for no reason at the bar and started running his mouth, and the way Easy shot him down was too funny. i don't remember the exact line, i just remember he called Nehemiah "cousin".  😂 and then he went and beat him + Kendal in an agility competition with Jisela as his partner. 😂 i was highly entertained. 

i'd forgotten how badass Evelyn was. not as a competitor, but as a strategist/leader. i'm still really early in the season and i've already seen her twice go head to head with Wes vis a vis what their grand strategy should be, and Ev won both debates, convincing Wes to change his mind both times. i honestly don't ever remember seeing another female competitor step up like this in this specific area of the game. Ev might be the GOAT for females.

damn- these old Challenge seasons are so much better than the current ones. the politicking going on in the house right now on FM II is insane. there's not a single person in the house right now who isn't involved- not one. it's basically Wes and his people bad Kenny and his people, with each faction scrambling around the house and cornering the neutral people and offering them deals. and most of these neutral people don't know how to handle it. this is great.

i couldn't help but think of Fessy and his idiotic "you old guys couldn't hang in today's Challenges" as i watched FM II (finished it yesterday). unless Fessy was partnered with Laurel he would have been one of the first 2-3 to go home. he would have been crushed. what Landon did with Carly that season was unreal. Landon is "a different breed". Fessy is a young, dumb twat with more hubris than talent. he would have imploded facing an Exile.

4 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Where are you in your rewatch?  I'm about half way through Rivals.  

i'm probably an episode or two behind you. watching Adam get absolutely played by Kenny/Bananas/Evan never gets easier. buncha guys who've never given two shots about Adam hit him with the, "hey man we love you, you're our boy, sucks that you're attached to CT" and this idiot just eats it up.

sode note- watching Alton on the Gauntlet 2 (OMG the cargo net race 😱), Landon on FM II, and CT on Rivals and i can't help but think of Fessy and lmaooooo with his "no one could ever beat me in anything physical/the old school guys all suck" comments. those guys were absolute freaks in their prime. 

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm probably an episode or two behind you. watching Adam get absolutely played by Kenny/Bananas/Evan never gets easier. buncha guys who've never given two shots about Adam hit him with the, "hey man we love you, you're our boy, sucks that you're attached to CT" and this idiot just eats it up.

sode note- watching Alton on the Gauntlet 2 (OMG the cargo net race 😱), Landon on FM II, and CT on Rivals and i can't help but think of Fessy and lmaooooo with his "no one could ever beat me in anything physical/the old school guys all suck" comments. those guys were absolute freaks in their prime. 

No kidding.  I can't even imagine him pulling a Landon and carrying a team to a championship.  Or what about Frank on Gauntlet III?   I know Easy basically handed him and his team the championship, but damn, he was badass on that season.  Fessy would have whines and quit that season because it was so unfair.  

There are so many great players that Mark Long needs to be contacting for All-Stars.  I did hear him say on a podcast that his phone has been ringing with calls from old timers who now what in on it.  Fingers crossed some quality females are calling him.  Speaking of, Paula has really impressed me the past two seasons.  I didn't remember her not sucking, but she has been pretty damn good in Rivals with Ev and The Duel.  I'm hoping we'll see some of these people:

Landon, MJ, Dunbar, Ryan Kehoe, Tyler Duckworth, Abram, and Couhutta.  Some of those guys wouldn't last long, but I'd like to see what they've been up to.  I know that one gay guy Frank is coming up a season soon.  Wouldn't mind seeing him.

The women are tough.  Most of them weren't very good competitors in their 20's.  Ev obviously.  Paula, Rachel Robinson, Jenn, Laurel come to mind.  Most of the others sucked and would be pointless.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah I've been thinking the same thing in regards to getting a lot of these older guys into a new season of All Stars. whole lotta tale eyes dudes out there whom i'd totally forgotten about before these rewatches.

oh yeah, i can tell you who doesn't need to get an invite for a new All Stars season- Ty. biggest waste of muscles/an athletic body ever on this show. there have been guys with popcorn muscles, and there have been guys who were bad, but nobody combines those two things like Ty. looks like Alton, performs worse than Big Easy. 

oh yeah, speaking of guys i'd completely forgotten about- that little short gay dude with the giant head and even bigger Little Man Complex on Gauntlet II. lmaoooo that dude and his temper are so funny. he's constantly going berserk, just at someone's throat about how he gets no respect, and the best part- it's literally always a girl. this dude stays getting into fiercely heated arguments with chicks. he's got veins popping out of his forehead, he's spitting everywhere when he talks, and he's yelling at some 115 on girl about how she's been mean to him this entire show. man some of these older seasons are pure comedy.

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Yeah I've been thinking the same thing in regards to getting a lot of these older guys into a new season of All Stars. whole lotta tale eyes dudes out there whom i'd totally forgotten about before these rewatches.

oh yeah, i can tell you who doesn't need to get an invite for a new All Stars season- Ty. biggest waste of muscles/an athletic body ever on this show. there have been guys with popcorn muscles, and there have been guys who were bad, but nobody combines those two things like Ty. looks like Alton, performs worse than Big Easy. 

Tyrie is pretty fucking pathetic too.  He talks such a big game, but I think some of the women would beat him.  Ty vs Katie could have been the match up of the century.  His record in eliminations:  0-5

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

oh yeah, speaking of guys i'd completely forgotten about- that little short gay dude with the giant head and even bigger Little Man Complex on Gauntlet II. lmaoooo that dude and his temper are so funny. he's constantly going berserk, just at someone's throat about how he gets no respect, and the best part- it's literally always a girl. this dude stays getting into fiercely heated arguments with chicks. he's got veins popping out of his forehead, he's spitting everywhere when he talks, and he's yelling at some 115 on girl about how she's been mean to him this entire show. man some of these older seasons are pure comedy.

I think I skipped that one, so I don't know how that is.  I may have to go back and watch that one.  

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Yeah, Tyrie is the one I remember as completely useless. 

same. what i'm realizing now is that Ty was equally useless, he just lasted longer because he looked better with his shirt off, so he didn't get thrown in first every time like Tyrie. this however means that he got to compete a lot, and this guy might seriously hold the all time record for finishing last/DQ'ing on daily challenges. percentage wise he's got to be first, second at worst. you basically can't be worse than Ty.

oh yeah, during his confessionals he kept using the word "clearly" and it had my dying. "i'm clearly the best athlete on the team"; "i'm clearly a great competitor"; "i'm clearly one of, if not the best guys here." he would not stop saying it, no matter how shitty he was performing.

On 5/19/2021 at 10:58 AM, shadow_operative said:

Um, you might wanna watch episode 5 of Battle of the Exes and revisit this opinion.  Not that it makes him a legend, but it definitely raises him above the level of a Tyrese or Big Easy.  I almost feel bad for Easy including him in a sentence with Tyrese.  Tyrese is in a class by himself when it comes to body size/performance.   Katie might be the best comparison for him.  Or that little blonde Casey.  

20 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Um, you might wanna watch episode 5 of Battle of the Exes and revisit this opinion.  Not that it makes him a legend, but it definitely raises him above the level of a Tyrese or Big Easy.  I almost feel bad for Easy including him in a sentence with Tyrese.  Tyrese is in a class by himself when it comes to body size/performance.   Katie might be the best comparison for him.  Or that little blonde Casey.  

Easy > Ty. if i had to choose a partner it would be Easy all day. you can't win with either one as your partner, but Easy is a better competitor. i've been watching older seasons with both guys and Ty might legit be the worst male player i've seen on these seasons. even the small guys and the gay dudes outperform *literally* every challenge. he gets last place in everything. Easy not only usually doesn't get last, he's fucked around and won a few challenges. i could not have a lower opinion of Ty based on the seasons i've been watching recently. his performance against Brandon in the Gulag is a first ballot Hall of Shame performance. 

Edited by shadow_operative

i'll say this- Tyrie was just as useless as Ty, sure- but a)he looked pretty useless while Ty looked like Alton, and b)Tyrie always went home first, leaving Ty to get last place in 3 or 4 more competitions before going 1 and done in elimination. maybe he gets better in later seasons, but he's the worst player in the entire cast in his first couple of Challenges.

Easy > Ty. if i had to choose a partner it would be Easy all day. you can't win with either one as your partner, but Easy is a better competitor. i've been watching older seasons with both guys and Ty might legit be the worst male player i've seen on these seasons. even the small guys and the gay dudes outperform *literally* every challenge. he gets last place in everything. Easy not only usually doesn't get last, he's fucked around and won a few challenges. i could not have a lower opinion of Ty based on the seasons i've been watching recently. his performance against Brandon in the Gulag is a first ballot Hall of Shame performance. 

That’s mostly true, but what he does in ep 5 raises him so far above Tyrese it’s ridiculous. You keep using “worst” in regards to Ty, totally ignoring Tyrese. Tyrese is the worst, hands down. I’be been watching the same seasons as you and I’m not seeing it. I’ll give you Cutthroat. That was embarrassing. In Rivals, he Brandon got eliminated by Kenny/Wes. I don’t remember the particulars but losing to those two isn’t an embarrassment. He’s looked pretty good so far in Battle of the Exes.

4 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

That’s mostly true, but what he does in ep 5 raises him so far above Tyrese it’s ridiculous. You keep using “worst” in regards to Ty, totally ignoring Tyrese. Tyrese is the worst, hands down. I’be been watching the same seasons as you and I’m not seeing it. I’ll give you Cutthroat. That was embarrassing. In Rivals, he Brandon got eliminated by Kenny/Wes. I don’t remember the particulars but losing to those two isn’t an embarrassment. He’s looked pretty good so far in Battle of the Exes.

i've gone back and started watching the earlier seasons now. i recently watched his first two seasons and he was terrible. i've had to pause watching Rivals because a buddy of mine wants to watch it with me. i'm sure i'll see more and more of Ty as i go along.

On 5/19/2021 at 12:01 PM, shadow_operative said:

i'm anxiously awaiting hitting the season where Camila and Emily decide that doing a blackface impression of Ty was a great idea.

And I have just reached this point.  It's so cringey I don't even want to hit play.  

i've gone back and started watching the earlier seasons now. i recently watched his first two seasons and he was terrible. i've had to pause watching Rivals because a buddy of mine wants to watch it with me. i'm sure i'll see more and more of Ty as i go along.

If you still think Ty is as bad as Easy & Tyrie after watching Battle Xs, I’m gonna say you have a Ty problem.

7 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

You must not remember Cora.

You’re right. I don’t remember Cora. Because I don’t think there’s ever been a Cora on the show. 

if you meant to type Coral, as Derka said above, she was awesome. 

Edited by TonyTexas