Chris Beard to Texas

Machinator

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Where the fuck is derka/ @shadow_operative this morning? Did he leap from a bridge this week due to the 15 minutes of interest they "only" showed to Royal Ivey? I figure he'd love this hire.

I'm excited to hear the Calipari rant that's coming soon from a few in the know.

Derka blowing up some steam at a baseball game.

Screenshot_20210323-214251_Twitter.jpg

Edited by ShowMeALoss

I love this for no other reason than to remind little brothers everywhere that big brother will take your good toy at any time.

If Texas Tech has a milkshake and UT has a straw that stretches from Austin alllllllllll theeee waaaaaay to Lubbock. UT drinks TTU's MILKSHAKE!

2bB.gif

Edited by DonkeyCigars
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I love this for no other reason than to remind little brothers everywhere that big brother will take your good toy at any time.

If Texas Tech has a milkshake and UT has a straw that stretches from Austin alllllllllll theeee waaaaaay to Lubbock. UT drinks TTU's MILKSHAKE!

https://i.gifer.com/2bB.mp4

C3C52103-C4A4-4B61-A685-49E0A24AA8E3.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The loyalty talk is interesting. Do they not know that he is a Texas alum who worked with the Texas basketball team as a student?  Why doesn’t that loyalty supersede theirs, where he entered into a contract to be paid to perform a job?

Because they're tech, and tech has really, really stupid fans. 

Just now, Surly Bevo said:

This is fantastic news, great hire.  Now here's to hoping next year I can get excited by the results on the field/court instead of coaching changes.

Welcome home Coach Beard and Hook Em

Until I see some positive things happen from the recruiting and transfer side of things, I’m going to assume next year’s team will be too devoid of talent to get results.  Unless by results you mean as good or better than they should be, even if it’s still not all that good. 

Just now, Pancho said:

Welp, I was in the middle of lecturing on the organization of a persuasive speech when my Apple Watch kept buzzing as alerts were coming that Texas got Beard. 

My students then asked if jumping up and down and saying “fuck yeah!” was a requirement for their persuasive speech.

It can be a pretty persuasive move when the timing is right. 

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Until I see some positive things happen from the recruiting and transfer side of things, I’m going to assume next year’s team will be too devoid of talent to get results.  Unless by results you mean as good or better than they should be, even if it’s still not all that good. 

There's literally hundreds of players in the transfer portal just from P6 conferences, he'll be able to get talent. There's no excuse for not being able to get guys to play here while being able to guarantee significant playing time. I know this sounds entitled but it's factual. Minutes+high profile team are the best combo you can have for finding transfers.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Stole our Men’s coach who was supposed to be a Tech lifer and locked up an elite coach who’s also an aggy to coach the Women’s team a year or so before they have to replace their coach. Gotta give CDC props for his handling of the basketball programs

Hell yeah. Schafer took that team to the Elite Eight in year one. That's impressive. 

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Charlie Strong was our fourth or fifth choice that we know of. Sarkisian, we don't really know because CDC keeps things so close to the vest, but we know he wasn't our first.

48 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Imagine thinking Charlie Strong was our first choice.

Well, Strong was the only coach interviewed by Patterson. DeLoss Dodd's told my BMD source within a week or so after Mack's final regular season game against Baylor that the new coach was hired. He wouldn't say who it was, only that his team's bowl game would be done before ours. That's when Mack ran-off, killing himself in Florida. As someone previously noted, several coaches leveraged the job into pay raises; however, the truth is that Strong was the number one choice and that's one of many reasons Steve Patterson is a worthless POS. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Am I wearing Burnt Orange Colored glasses, but CDC’s two big hires have been A+s initially!

Of course there are real concerns about Sark’s drinking problems coming back. But, he is an insanely good offensive mind (maybe top 3 to 5 on planet earth), a great recruiter, and has built the best staff UT has EVER had!

Chris Beard not only took Texas Tech of all places to the Final Four last tournament, but he gets his players to play some of the best pressure defense in the country, which is translatable! He is also a sneaky good recruiter and eye for talent, which should be augmented at UT, particularly with a brand spanking new arena! Chris Beard was probably considered the #1 coach in the country not at a historically top 10 program (Gonzaga has broken in as a Top 5-10 program thanks to Mark Few).

Am I being overly hyperbolic in my assessment of these hires by CDC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Teryor said:

There's literally hundreds of players in the transfer portal just from P6 conferences, he'll be able to get talent. There's no excuse for not being able to get guys to play here while being able to guarantee significant playing time. I know this sounds entitled but it's factual. Minutes+high profile team are the best combo you can have for finding transfers.

And my outlook will improve when those guys are added to the roster. 

• Like 1