Chris Beard to Texas

Machinator

I understand the disappointment from Tech fans but the bullshit from Hocutt? He’s a god damned UT grad for fucks sake. How do you not understand him taking this job. 

Ummm. Hocutt played for K-State and has a masters from OU. Don’t see any relationship to UT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

And Women's BB was routinely making Elite Eight and even winning it all.

ask and ye shall receive

Final thought: You can't spell "butthurt" without ttu

God, this reminded me that it was only a few years ago when we never had to say our area code in this town.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

I have no business being the fashion police, but that’s not a good look for TJ.

No shit, polo shirt under a sport coat is absolute bush league. Are those sweatpants styled like slacks? The fuck?

Edited by 936horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Steel Shank said:

This an arena in which I shall cast no stones.

If a fabulously flamboyant gay man went through my closet he would be offended by many things, but I would never dream of throwing that outfit together.  I didn’t even notice the drawstrings on the pants on my first glance.  Untucked polo with a “suit” is a poor look.

8 hours ago, texifornia said:

Between BitterWhiteGuy from Barking Carnival and Will Curry from BON, the SBN guys are faaaar from thrilled with this hire. Not that I agree, but just putting it out there.

I cannot stress this enough: the only difference in the UT Hoops pay guys and your average fan is that those guys follow the sport/program more closely. that's it. i wish that we had better reporters/journalists/personalities covering our program, but we don't. if you go back over the history of these guys and their prognostications, man for man, almost every one of these guys has terrible opinions and takes on our teams and the sport in general. they're just nerdier than the average fan. that's it. it's not super surprising being that we're not a basketball school and all, but it kills me when i see the Average Joe UT hoops fan buying into anything that is opined by any of these guys. remember: BWG was basically the second or third-to-last guy to recognize Shaka for what he is, making him a more loquacious version of Cameltoe and Wescott Eberts. 

moral of the story: do not listen to the $9.95ers or the private board guys when it comes to Texas hoops. they might have the passion and the ability/want-to to follow our program and stats more closely than most, but historically their opinions and takes suck shit through a straw. in fact i'm pretty sure that at least 4/5 of them stopped playing basketball after sixth grade. you're usually better off with fading these guys than you are putting any stock into what they have to say. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 9

7 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Because you're just Texas Tech.

compare.png.38fb88de99c18de5b9505ada39c09d6e.png

I mean, I'm sorry and all, but what did you expect.  Tech is an inferior school by every measure.  I mean, nice people and all go there, but... really.  Seriously?  Beard had a choice?  I think not.

• Hook 'Em 5

54 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

I cannot stress this enough: the only difference in the UT Hoops pay guys and your average fan is that those guys follow the sport/program more closely. that's it. i wish that we had better reporters/journalists/personalities covering our program, but we don't. if you go back over the history of these guys and their prognostications, man for man, almost every one of these guys has terrible opinions and takes on our teams and the sport in general. they're just nerdier than the average fan. that's it. it's not super surprising being that we're not a basketball school and all, but it kills me when i see the Average Joe UT hoops fan buying into anything that is opined by any of these guys. remember: BWG was basically the second or third-to-last guy to recognize Shaka for what he is, making him a more loquacious version of Cameltoe and Wescott Eberts. 

moral of the story: do not listen to the $9.95ers or the private board guys when it comes to Texas hoops. they might have the passion and the ability/want-to to follow our program and stats more closely than most, but historically their opinions and takes suck shit through a straw. in fact i'm pretty sure that at least 4/5 of them stopped playing basketball after sixth grade. you're usually better off with fading these guys than you are putting any stock into what they have to say. 

Man, comparing him to Wescott is harsh. Whatever your opinion on his basketball knowledge, at least he can write well. And without multiple grammatical errors in every post.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Man, comparing him to Wescott is harsh. Whatever your opinion on his basketball knowledge, at least he can write well. And without multiple grammatical errors in every post.

true dat. i might not agree with a lot of what BWG says but i do respect his passion, knowledge, and his willingness/ability to share his thoughts on our program. Wescott is just a loud mouth, know-nothing loser who's only worth following for the laughs/boost in self-esteem. 

• Hook 'Em 5

7 hours ago, texifornia said:

"Show" will probably = a bunch of 63 - 55 wins, but hell I'll take it.

I'll stress mightily over some of those in November-February but then be thrilled about them in March and (hopefully) April.

I'd have had zero problem with an Ivey hire, but Beard seems like a really solid pick. On the heels of the deeply flawed Shaka experiment, I don't mind playing it safe with an alum who's highly respected in the college game and has demonstrated a high floor.

As for how Beard will do with 5-star prospects, I don't know that we even need to find out. It's his call which type of player to recruit. The late rounds of March Madness are full of guys who will never stick in the NBA. Being a feeder school for the association seems overrated. 

• Hook 'Em 4

10 hours ago, SuckitKevin said:

I understand the disappointment from Tech fans but the bullshit from Hocutt? He’s a god damned UT grad for fucks sake. How do you not understand him taking this job. 

they were very close, guess he (actually) though he would stay at TTU forever?

1 hour ago, Horn80 said:

Thought Tech would break the bank to keep Beard but looks like he simply wanted to be at Texas.  

Probably both. Who knows that Tech wouldn’t have broken the bank of Beard actually game them the opportunity to counter, just for shits and giggles.

1 hour ago, Horn80 said:

Thought Tech would break the bank to keep Beard but looks like he simply wanted to be at Texas.  Shaka was such a bust and took six long years to finally be rid of him.

Tech did not have the opportunity to counter.  Beard was coming to Texas, regardless.

It's funny to me how some detractors, some of whom were Texas folk trying to manage the letdown if Beard didn't switch;  are poo-pooing Beard's conference record as hovering around .500.

1) It's a tough ass conference and Tech was never an easy out with Beard in charge. 

2) His postseason record was 9-3, with an almost certain opportunity for more wins missed in 2020 due to Cv-19.

Yeah, I'll take factor #2 over league play any fucking day.

Edited by slorch

9 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

TJ can wear whatever the fuck he wants. 

This motherfucking right here.

Guy was the player most responsible for getting us to a Final Four in my long ass lifetime.

He could wear a panty on his head and I would not care......and actually that would be awesome.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, SuckitKevin said:

My take on how he acted and how Tech fans are acting in general is they know any chance they had at being a national power in a major sport is now gone.  It was there and they could see it, but not anymore. And they probably won’t see anything like it again in their lifetimes.  That’s enough to make them angry like they are and throw around dumbass words like “loyalty” when Beard graduated from UT. 

And to their credit, they had the facilities, support, fan base, etc. to show that something actually can be built at Tech if the right person is in place.  The problem is unless that person/coach is a Tech diehard or alum, the chances of them leaving for a “bigger” university is always there.  

Texas basketball isn’t a blue blood, but’s a top 10 job as noted by college sports writers and coaches.  It really has less to do with Texas being not very good over the last decade and not having as much fan support and more to do with the resources of UT, the city of Austin, and just the name brand of The University of Texas and how that can lure recruits.  Tech doesn’t have any of that and they were winning and winning at a high level.  They were finally “making a name” for themselves as every Tech fan and graduate believed they could do—just like a UT.  And with Beard leaving, that is all gone.  That’s why they are angry.

Trust me I know how the Tech fan thinks—I went to Tech for 1.5 years before transferring to UT.  

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2