Chris Beard to Texas

Machinator

"It is impossible to properly thank Porter for all he's done for our basketball program and University," Loyola Chicago athletic director Steve Watson said in a statement. "His vision and leadership brought Loyola to new heights and Ramblers everywhere will be eternally grateful. A huge thank you and best wishes, from all Ramblers, are rightfully being extended to Porter and his family as they embark on their next journey."

Compare how the AD of Loyola Chicago handled his coach’s departure w the classless, clown show that Texas Tech Nation regularly exhibits. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Blotto said:

sadly I'm trending more to the progressive commercial syndrome, so I'll gladly admit to being out of fashion touch. but a sweat pant looking pinstripe suit combo looks like ass to me. 

Yeah, the pants are cool, but I totally agree the jacket with it looks like he's homeless. 

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Carmelo scored the points, but Rony Seikaly was the one who really came up clutch in that game.

What really got me is that the refs were clearly intimidated into anti-Texas calls by Jim Brown waving his lacrosse stick in the first row of the student section. That fourth foul call on Durant was horrible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Reese Bennett said:

What really got me is that the refs were clearly intimidated into anti-Texas calls by Jim Brown waving his lacrosse stick in the first row of the student section. That fourth foul call on Durant was horrible.

yeah, I thought Danny Schayes definitely flopped on that play.

On 4/2/2021 at 2:52 PM, Samson's Wig said:

I don't think the move was about money at all for Beard.  He was already top five in the country.  I think he was looking for this move for at least a couple of years because it's where he wants to be.  I think both programs will be the better for it too, so long as Tech doesn't fuck up the next hire.  They've got the facilities, the fan support, the momentum, and the willingness to pay with the big boys to do just fine.  They just built the best practice facility in the country under Beard's direction.  They'll be fine if that AD doesn't fuck it up - which given his history of hires he just might.

Watching Beard melt down when he realizes just how little support UT basketball gets from the Austin community is not going to be fun, though.  I don't think he, like most alums that haven't lived in Austin for a while, realizes that this isn't a college town anymore and most of the people who live and work here aren't Longhorns.  They are college graduates however, so their loyalties are elsewhere.  I think it's a big reason football games still sell well (people are willing to travel in for football) and basketball games are sad empty affairs.  Basketball games just aren't the event that football games are.  And locals who aren't Longhorns aren't going to show up, there are too many other things to do around here.

Either way, I suspect the program will be better with Beard.  I think he'll need to change his stripes a bit, but if his time in Lubbock taught us anything it's that he's willing to peddle a certain amount of bullshit to fit in with the local culture.  

Ah yes, the new people are ruining UT's storied history of rabid basketball fandom and packed stadiums. It's why we're considered the UConn of the Southwest.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, texifornia said:

Ah yes, the new people are ruining UT's storied history of rabid basketball fandom and packed stadiums. It's why we're considered the UConn of the Southwest.

Not blaming the transplants, just explaining why Beard isn't going to build a fanbase even though he will desperately want to.  The bodies just aren't here.  But you're right, UT has never had much support for basketball.  

23 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

Marquette MBB twitter should do Shaka by the numbers.

The “Players Drafted” part would be split into:

”Players Drafted” & “Players Drafted in the 1st Round”

NCAA Record would be turned into “NCAA Appearances”

Coach of the Year would be turned into “NCAA Final Four”.

”NIT Championship” would replace something, as would “Big 12 Tournament Championship”. And whatever preseason tournament he won would be listed as well. 

There’s enough lipstick to cover that pig, but we know it is still a pig. 

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

The Erwin Center is twice as big as most college basketball arenas.   We could have the exact same support and fill the new arena.   And when we were actually good, we drew pretty big attendance numbers during the best of the Barnes years.   People got excited for the good Penders teams.   I’m sure the student section will seem more raucous in the new arena just by virtue of the design, too.  It will be a louder building even if the fans don’t change.  

When I read Frank Erwin Center (FEC), my brain registered FLAWN Academic Center (FAC)/ UGL and I started thinking about how many people could fit in there if it were to be converted into a basketball arena with glass walls all around. 😎

It would have been an awesome fucking location for the West Campus crowd to walk to. 

45 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The “Players Drafted” part would be split into:

”Players Drafted” & “Players Drafted in the 1st Round”

NCAA Record would be turned into “NCAA Appearances”

Coach of the Year would be turned into “NCAA Final Four”.

”NIT Championship” would replace something, as would “Big 12 Tournament Championship”. And whatever preseason tournament he won would be listed as well. 

There’s enough lipstick to cover that pig, but we know it is still a pig. 

When I read Frank Erwin Center (FEC), my brain registered FLAWN Academic Center (FAC)/ UGL and I started thinking about how many people could fit in there if it were to be converted into a basketball arena with glass walls all around. 😎

It would have been an awesome fucking location for the West Campus crowd to walk to. 

And I could have has a class under the basketball court. 

23 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Jeff Goodman (reporter who broke the news) believes Beard is the home run hire of this year's carousel (1:40):

And what Goodman says (who I follow and trust as it relates to college BB) is a huge reason for the elementary school reactions coming from Tech fans.  

With everything Beard did at Tech and even showing that you can win at a national level with the right coach, that coach said no and still left.  They can’t even see that he left for his alma mater.  They just see the rejection.  It just confirms what they hate and that is Texas is on another level than Texas Tech. 

I was laughing with a friend the other day that Tech is so mad about this they might do something like pay the exit fee and join the Pac12 if they could.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

The Erwin Center is twice as big as most college basketball arenas.   We could have the exact same support and fill the new arena.   And when we were actually good, we drew pretty big attendance numbers during the best of the Barnes years.   People got excited for the good Penders teams.   I’m sure the student section will seem more raucous in the new arena just by virtue of the design, too.  It will be a louder building even if the fans don’t change.  

i've been to more sellouts at the (formerly) 16,755 seat FEC than i can remember. back when things were good under Barnes we would regularly have 12,000+ for conference games and total sellouts for the really big games, even in December. and, during the TJ years, we actually did have a good student section. i absolutely believe that Beard is going to do what it takes to get the students to show up in numbers and be loud. if/when our program becomes good again, the arena will be rocking. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i've been to more sellouts at the (formerly) 16,755 seat FEC than i can remember. back when things were good under Barnes we would regularly have 12,000+ for conference games and total sellouts for the really big games, even in December. and, during the TJ years, we actually did have a good student section. i absolutely believe that Beard is going to do what it takes to get the students to show up in numbers and be loud. if/when our program becomes good again, the arena will be rocking. 

Yep. I hate is as sporting venue, but when that mother fucker is packed, it’s loud as fuck. I remember the 2014 Kansas game when we just shut down Wiggins and fucked them up. Place was rocking and as loud as any venue in the country. But yeah the Erwin center is kinda shitty. Can’t wait for the new arena. Gonna get loud as fuck in there 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Pancho said:

And what Goodman says (who I follow and trust as it relates to college BB) is a huge reason for the elementary school reactions coming from Tech fans.  

With everything Beard did at Tech and even showing that you can win at a national level with the right coach, that coach said no and still left.  They can’t even see that he left for his alma mater.  They just see the rejection.  It just confirms what they hate and that is Texas is on another level than Texas Tech. 

I was laughing with a friend the other day that Tech is so mad about this they might do something like pay the exit fee and join the Pac12 if they could.

It is amazing that they can't seem to come to grips that he left for his alma mater. Beard already chose Texas over Tech once in his life.

• Hook 'Em 4

that game and the home win vs OU that year (both UNC and OU ended up in the Final Four, Texas went 0-2 in the postseason) were two of the best atmospheres i've ever been a part of at the FEC, and i've been there for some really epic crowds/games. there's more than a million people within driving distance of the FEC, and 50,000 undergrads. we can get 12-13k to come out for a winning program. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 3