Chris Beard to Texas

Machinator

18 minutes ago, NoName said:

come on.

Jimmy Sexton represents a ton of coaches because he is the best. full stop.

He took the job because he could make $7 million in buyout or could make more than $7 million in salary at Marquette. This isn't a hard decision.

did he do TTU "right" - what's the expectation here? that he fuck over the new place in favor of the old place? nobody does that because it's an asshole move. TTU fucked up by having the buyout go down when they did, should have left it at $5 mil forever if they didn't think this is EXACTLY what would happen if he was to be hired this offseason. If he didn't come to Texas he was going to end up somewhere else eventually. This isn't the 70s when Myers stayed for 20 years - it's TTU not Duke.

they still got their buyout, he didn't leave after promising he would stay, this had been talked about for a long time and would have happened last year if the season had played out totally.

Jimmy Sexton isn't Beard and Shaka's agent. Bret Just is their agent. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, NoName said:

let's be honest, he was leaving for a better job at some point soon anyway - be it the Texas job or somewhere else. TTU is far from the best basketball job in the B12, much less the country, much less the state.

The Tech fans who are bent don't believe Texas is the better job and that at best it was a lateral move for Beard. It's a skewed perspective based on their runner up performance from a few years ago. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, planoraider11 said:

Yesterday morning, I would've said Texas was going to get a majority of the team. Now with the Adams hire, I don't think yall get anyone except Peavy or Santos Silva.  Edwards and McCullars have both announced they are coming back. It sounds like Shannon will be returning as well and our top recruit Tyson will be honoring his commitment. Only questions at this point are Santos-Silva and McClung, if I were going to guess SS leaves but McClung comes back. 

So yall might end up with 2, but I think that's about it. Tech 100% made the right decision in hiring Mark Adams.  

FUCK!!!! Baylor winning the championship and now this? Shit! Fuck! Motherfucker! 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Shinesintx said:

How many do you think Beard can get to transfer?

I was hoping up to 3-4 and getting Jaylon Tyson out of his LOI, but realistically now probably just Peavy, someone else (name escapes me), and maybe Tyson (huge maybe, but doubtful). So like 2. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

21 minutes ago, MoJames said:
31 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:
https://www.burntorangenation.com/2021/4/6/22369585/chris-beard-mark-adams-no-middle-defense-texas-longhorns-texas-tech-red-raiders
Pretty good piece on Beard and Adams' history. Can't wait for ESPN to beat this horse to death next year.

Did you know when Scott Drew took over Baylor they were a bad team?

Liar. That's just not true. Murder is fine. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

My cousin is a tech grad, and thank God he's fucking sane. All he said was good luck to coach beard, and he was thankful he came to tech. It is what it is. 

He's a super nice, cool dude, but I also think he's a realist. He knows tech sports (men's at least) aren't a life long dream for coaches. 

38 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

My cousin is a tech grad, and thank God he's fucking sane. All he said was good luck to coach beard, and he was thankful he came to tech. It is what it is. 

He's a super nice, cool dude, but I also think he's a realist. He knows tech sports (men's at least) aren't a life long dream for coaches. 

Most of us aren't slorch :P

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I was hoping up to 3-4 and getting Jaylon Tyson out of his LOI, but realistically now probably just Peavy, someone else (name escapes me), and maybe Tyson (huge maybe, but doubtful). So like 2. 

Maybe Nimari Burnett wants  another cut at Beard.😁

2 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

How come that dude didn't see more time on the floor, I remember him getting more time in previous years. Was it Shaka not liking him or...?

Bad fit all around.  Too slow to even be marginally effective on defense and not strong enough to rebound effectively.  Smart player that was horribly miscast.  Gonzaga offered and Few wanted him, but Shaka sold him a bag of magic beans.  He chose......poorly.

• Like 2

Wally, I met John Wooden I believe at the first game that was played at the Drum. Gregory was sort of a 2 edged sword. We had one game
when the paid attendance was 17. Thats right. 17. Wasn't even enough for meal money. Granted the weather was horrible but damn. But when some of those SWC teams
and the dirt burglars came to town, that place was packed and the fans were incredible. The best part was that the fans were right on the court literally. When I sat
on the bench, my shoes were physically on the court line and I had size 11 shoes.. There were bleachers on the stage when the fans were going crazy, especially during a timeout, the band was blaring and you couldn't hear a word the coaches were saying.  One of our best fans was a guy named Marty I think. He would always sit on the first row straddling the half court line and was constantly letting the refs hear it. He was hysterical and I have to believe that the refs would privately tell you that they also thought he was great.
I don't know how big Moody is going to be but I hope the fans will be close to the court. Its not the number of fans at a game but the configuration of the gym.

at gregory I and my friend were asked to please be quiet as he was trying to study. we redoubled our volume. sheesh.

1 hour ago, Brian Fantana said:

How come that dude didn't see more time on the floor, I remember him getting more time in previous years. Was it Shaka not liking him or...?

He was effectively redshirting this season. He played a lot in a few games this year when guys were out with Covid, but outside of that the plan for him was to sit. Besides that, I'm not quite sure who you think he was going to get minutes over at the 4. Kai?, GBII?, Cunningham?, Hamm?

35 minutes ago, MrPhlegm said:
On 4/5/2021 at 3:22 PM, realgreggym said:
Wally, I met John Wooden I believe at the first game that was played at the Drum. Gregory was sort of a 2 edged sword. We had one game
when the paid attendance was 17. Thats right. 17. Wasn't even enough for meal money. Granted the weather was horrible but damn. But when some of those SWC teams
and the dirt burglars came to town, that place was packed and the fans were incredible. The best part was that the fans were right on the court literally. When I sat
on the bench, my shoes were physically on the court line and I had size 11 shoes.. There were bleachers on the stage when the fans were going crazy, especially during a timeout, the band was blaring and you couldn't hear a word the coaches were saying.  One of our best fans was a guy named Marty I think. He would always sit on the first row straddling the half court line and was constantly letting the refs hear it. He was hysterical and I have to believe that the refs would privately tell you that they also thought he was great.
I don't know how big Moody is going to be but I hope the fans will be close to the court. Its not the number of fans at a game but the configuration of the gym.

at gregory I and my friend were asked to please be quiet as he was trying to study. we redoubled our volume. sheesh.

In fairness to him, there were a couple of games where he was probably good to study. lol

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

I think most on here are unrealistic about the situation Beard had in Lubbock.  He had a GREAT situation there.  And while Tech isn't Kentucky, Beard was good enough to get them to the title game and if the ball bounces a little differently, he wins a National Title (and probably never leaves).  He was gradually improving the facilities, culture and recruiting.  Fan support was excellent.  This was a very hard decision for him.  He didn't hate Lubbock or he wouldn't have spent 15 years of his life there.

I think it is telling that he didn't give Tech a chance to make him an offer.  Because if they trot out a $10M / year offer (and they damn well might have done it), he was going to have to stay. 

What he had in Lubbock reminds me of dating a girl and actually being in love, having a long history and being reasonably happy, but knowing that ultimately someone out there is better for you.  Some people end up sticking around out of obligation, but always slightly regret not making a break when they had a chance.  Like in a movie where the guy says "if I go back in that apartment, I'm never leaving". 

That is exactly what would have happened if Beard gave Tech a chance to make their offer, because it would have been a Godfather offer.

Very well put.

• Hook 'Em 1

Interesting story on Adams. One game he played the undefeated defending champs in juco. They had cleaned his clock in the first matchup. So he drafts 5 football players and suits them up. Any player driving the lane was fouled. Hard. For a couple of minutes. He told them to go as hard as possible. 
Then he’d run his starters in. This goes on until there were foul outs. 
Then Adams tells his team to run and snowbird and shoot 3’s. It worked and they won the game. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

Interesting story on Adams. One game he played the undefeated defending champs in juco. They had cleaned his clock in the first matchup. So he drafts 5 football players and suits them up. Any player driving the lane was fouled. Hard. For a couple of minutes. He told them to go as hard as possible. 
Then he’d run his starters in. This goes on until there were foul outs. 
Then Adams tells his team to run and snowbird and shoot 3’s. It worked and they won the game. 

He’s “a Disruptor”.

56 minutes ago, immamac said:

Imagine being this much of a bitch AFTER I invite you on the podcast to do this in a funny and appropriate way. 

That is being a bitch?

I answered the other poster's question.

Y'all are some hyper sensitive motherfuckers up in here.  Seriously.

"Beard didn't do Tech wrong..."

"well actually, it could be seen this way."

"oh that's all stupid..."

No it isn't.  and yes, i was absolutely willing to be on the podcast, confirmed with RGBIII and never got the call the night of MAR 31.  However, if you're just going to continue to take your shots at me for no reason, you can go fuck yourself.

Edited by slorch

43 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

That’s what I want to hear slouch, take shots back don’t stand for it. But you are being a pussy and we want to hear how west Texas angry that makes you. Just get on the surly podcast and let’s make history. Give me a shout out too. 

I picture him driving to the wet side of town and grabbing a 12 pack, slammin' 2 real quick, taking a shit in a brown bag and heading over to Beard's house All the Right Moves style. AMPIPE!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

Derka ain't no bitch he'll shoulder check slorches ass. 

It's not too late for all to be forgiven and for this to happen. 

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Imagine being this much of a bitch AFTER I invite you on the podcast to do this in a funny and appropriate way. 

1 hour ago, slorch said:

That is being a bitch?

No it isn't.  and yes, i was absolutely willing to be on the podcast, confirmed with RGBIII and never got the call the night of MAR 31.  However, if you're just going to continue to take your shots at me for no reason, you can go fuck yourself.

Television Popcorn GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, slorch said:

That is being a bitch?

i think you are in your final form.  Time to stamp your legendary presence on the podcast and on surly's history

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, slorch said:

That is being a bitch?

So now we know what butthurt squared looks like.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, slorch said:

That is being a bitch?

Open invite still. Recording at 9 tonight and doing a live recording Wednesday at 9 next week