Chris Beard to Texas

Machinator

3 hours ago, elguapo said:

If you're going to get all drunked up and post some stupid shit at least make it funny or entertaining.

Mean drunk. Redbreast 15. Thats Irish whiskey. Doubt you poors know what the fuck that is. You prolly drink White Claw and live in some gotdamn suburb in Collin County, or worse, you live in shitbox up north of G-town, but tell peeps you live in Austin. 

Me? I got a stabbin cabin over in Seabrook. Boston Whaler. Pappy’s. And I run them Horn wives in there. They like the way I make em spur. Only fucking Cowboy you know is some frilly shirt bangled up fuckstick on a football field. 

• Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

Mean drunk. Redbreast 15. Thats Irish whiskey. Doubt you poors know what the fuck that is. You prolly drink White Claw and live in some gotdamn suburb in Collin County, or worse, you live in shitbox up north of G-town, but tell peeps you live in Austin. 

Me? I got a stabbin cabin over in Seabrook. Boston Whaler. Pappy’s. And I run them Horn wives in there. They like the way I make em spur. Only fucking Cowboy you know is some frilly shirt bangled up fuckstick on a football field. 

550w5o.jpg

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I think it's fair to wonder whether or not Beard will have sustained success given his nomadic history,

If he has the kind of success some imagine he can have here at Texas, there will be essentially nowhere further to go.  

I mean, if you build UT into a top 5 program, and you're a Texas native, where the hell are you going to go?

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

If he has the kind of success some imagine he can have here at Texas, there will be essentially nowhere further to go.  

I mean, if you build UT into a top 5 program, and you're a Texas native, where the hell are you going to go?

He aint ever leaving Texas. New Arena coming onboard. 5 star recruits. NBA rosters stuffed with Horns. Sold out season ticket holders. Hell, their wives wont even bring along their Ipads. Best ticket in sports! Ever! 

its coming. So jealous. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

10 minutes ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

He aint ever leaving Texas. New Arena coming onboard. 5 star recruits. NBA rosters stuffed with Horns. Sold out season ticket holders. Hell, their wives wont even bring along their Ipads. Best ticket in sports! Ever! 

its coming. So jealous. 

the force awakens GIF by Star Wars

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Gents, every assistant is “dirty”. Play the game or don’t play. Nobody really ever thought Texas was “clean” in any sport did they?

This is the correct answer. 

Baylor won a national title with a known sleaze in Drew. Houston made a final 4 with Sampson who has cheated everywhere he's been. A&M made a couple sweet 16s a couple years ago after Stansbury bought a recruiting class. Tech has made a couple deep runs in the tournament with guys like Maligi that have been in NCAA hot water at other schools like SMU. 

How can you possibly see the landscape in Texas and say "we need to play clean?" If you want to win you better be willing to play the game. I'm glad we finally have guys like Maligi and Howard on staff. This moral high ground nonsense gets you nowhere. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

i mean, this is the whole reason i've been so pumped about our assistant hires- we know they can recruit at a high level. and, obviously, there's no such thing as recruiting at a high level without being dirty. we're actually gonna go for it this time around. like it or not, it's a reason to believe in this program going forward.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

hell, the whole reason we've been shut out of the DFW for so long is because Barnes had limits to how hard he was willing to "play the game". Shaka tried to play the game by hiring Lucas, but that was largely ineffectual. we're about to find ourselves right in the thick of things the DFW (and elsewhere), and that's exciting. 

20 hours ago, HookEm said:

Not so fast my friend.

image.png.9cafa7140dd195317dde4311ca273875.png

This photo and the entire episode will never stop being hilarious.

The 00s were the best football decade of my life; and while most of that is because of VY, Colt, et al, the contributions of Gap Kid and his band of hard-ass street toughs should not go unrecognized. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

The 00s were the best football decade of my life; and while most of that is because of VY, Colt, et al, the contributions of Gap Kid and his band of hard-ass street toughs should not go unrecognized. 
What is the story behind this guy? I've seen the photo forever now but don't know the backstory.

What is the story behind this guy? I've seen the photo forever now but don't know the backstory.

The Gap Kid story? Somebody can fill in any blanks and correct inaccuracies but in the aftermath of another Tceh win over aggy in Lubbock, Tceh students (led by Gen. Gap Kid) tore down the goalpost and rammed it into the aggy visitor‘a section.

A brawl ensued and Seth McKinney’s dad (then some sort of elected politician) got “sucker-punched” by a Tceh fan. He got all blustery and was going to sue and then it came out that he was popped by a fellow aggy. At least that’s my recollection of events.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
2 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

https://aggypedia.com/wiki/GAP_kid

Let's just say it ends with dipshit aggies punching each other and comparing the children in this photo to Santa Anna's army. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

On 4/8/2021 at 5:12 PM, Brian Fantana said:

The only legit gripe with Beard IMHO is our poor record closing out close (1-2 possession)/OT games. That was a very common theme on Tech message boards the last few years. Rest is mostly sour grapes.

That’s literally mostly about luck (record in close games) in any sport. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That's true, but to be fair, we gave Shaka tons of shit for our execution and results in close games over the years.

Edited by Machinator

25 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

While true, Beard’s style of play creates more close games, which is one of the downsides to his coaching style if he’s  at a place where he has more talent, like he should at Texas. 

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That's true, but to be fair, we gave Shaka tons of shit for our execution and results in close games over the years.

Yeah, there’s a certain amount of luck involved but never calling plays and not coaching your guys well will certainly lead to less than average luck.

Unless youre Fozz and then you maintain that Shaka was an outlier in bad luck for four straight years and it had nothing to do with Shaka’s coaching. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/9/2021 at 12:51 PM, CurlyDumps said:

One thing I've learned throughout this process is apparently we are Tech's biggest rival.

I don’t think I can ever hate UT more than I hate A&M. The past two weeks nothing to change that equation. At least Texas is generally honest about what the fuck they are doing.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That was usually may argument, but it was half hearted at best. The grumbling started on the Tech boards with the plays we drew up to end regulation in the NC game and didn't stop after that. I always thought there was some merit to it but usually gave Beard the benefit of the doubt.

32 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

That was usually may argument, but it was half hearted at best. The grumbling started on the Tech boards with the plays we drew up to end regulation in the NC game and didn't stop after that. I always thought there was some merit to it but usually gave Beard the benefit of the doubt.

I'm just happy to have a coach who draws up plays. 

11 minutes ago, Deej said:

I'm just happy to have a coach who draws up plays. 

Well see that's the thing, I guess I should have put "drew up" in quotes but really Beard is more inclined to just have his best player improvise and try to make a play in that kind of situation, i.e. McClung's last second shot in Austin. That's his MO, which is also Shaka's MO I think. Personally, I think it's a fine approach, but when it doesn't work out it really tends to irk some fans that would prefer a good set play rather than having a star just improvise.

The NC game is actually a great example of it both working out and not working out in a short span of game time. Before Virginia tied the game up, we had Culver play iso ball and make a play to put us ahead by 1, then we get a stop and hit 2 FTs to go up by 3. Virginia hits a 3 to tie and we basically try the same thing and it doesn't work, the rest is history.

Prior to the 2019 season, we actually did run quite a few OOB/end of game plays that were clearly drawn up by someone on the bench. Something changed after 2018 where we basically stopped doing that, I'm not sure exactly what that would have been.

Edited by Brian Fantana

3 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Well see that's the thing, I guess I should have put "drew up" in quotes but really Beard is more inclined to just have his best player improvise and try to make a play in that kind of situation, i.e. McClung's last second shot in Austin. That's his MO, which is also Shaka's MO I think. Personally, I think it's a fine approach, but when it doesn't work out it really tends to irk some fans that would prefer a good set play rather than having a star just improvise.

The NC game is actually a great example of it both working out and not working out in a short span of game time. Before Virginia tied the game up, we had Culver play iso ball and make a play to put us ahead by 1, then we get a stop and hit 2 FTs to go up by 3. Virginia hits a 3 to tie and we basically try the same thing and it doesn't work, the rest is history.

Prior to the 2019 season, we actually did run quite a few OOB/end of game plays that were clearly drawn up by someone on the bench. Something changed after 2018 where we basically stopped doing that, I'm not sure exactly what that would have been.

jerry seinfeld agree GIF

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

hell, the whole reason we've been shut out of the DFW for so long is because Barnes had limits to how hard he was willing to "play the game". Shaka tried to play the game by hiring Lucas, but that was largely ineffectual. we're about to find ourselves right in the thick of things the DFW (and elsewhere), and that's exciting. 

Yep. Beard said this is about players and he wasn’t kidding.  What I hope he can avoid is falling in love with just how far that Texas name can reach. There is talent right here in state, clean it up

17 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

I thought Jai had an off court role in Barnes' last few years as well. 

Jai did have some sort of role under Barnes, but Shaka actually went and demoted his boy Morrell so that Jai could get a promotion to assistant coach, as well as go on the road and recruit. 

the whole Mike Morrell thing always cracked me up. after spending six years as one of Shaka's loyal assistants from his inaugural VCU staff, Shaka brings him from VCU to Texas, only to demote him for a 28 year old with literally zero coaching experience. then, when Shaka leads us to an 11-21 season and someone has to be the fall guy, he fires David Cason and replaces him with...Mike Morrell. 😐

so, Morrell was so expendable that you would fire him for what literally amounted to a kid with a famous last name, and yet after you fond yourself needing to upgrade your staff after an incomprehensibly bad season, you went and did that by re-hiring the guy who was deemed not good enough for your staff one year prior. 

HAHAHAHAHA, have fun with that Marquette! Better y'all than us!

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Yep. Beard said this is about players and he wasn’t kidding.  What I hope he can avoid is falling in love with just how far that Texas name can reach. There is talent right here in state, clean it up

So you would be opposed to the foreign players he goes after?

Davide Moretti was one of the very best for Beard at Tech.  All of them have not been hits, but neither have the locals.

Hell, TJ Shannon is from Chicago. Then you have all of the transfers...

I'd say you're cutting Beard's ability to build a team if you just focus on the Lone Star State.  Evidence supports that a broader talent pool works.

Slorch - No, that’s not what I’m saying. Obviously you need to fill out rosters by any means possible. High profile, national recruitments can be draining on a staff and often turn up empty. That’s more of what I’m talking about, he will be involved in more of those now and you have to balance it. Don’t miss on capable talent in your backyard.

Edited by Revolution512
  • Hook 'Em 1

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

biggest question about any Shaka holdovers has nothing to do with physical ability.

Are they willing to be coached hard?  Beard knows no other way.

4 minutes ago, slorch said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

biggest question about any Shaka holdovers has nothing to do with physical ability.

Are they willing to be coached hard?  Beard knows no other way.

You know one of the guys coming back almost died from leukemia, right?  And the other one had a pretty bad knee injury in 2019-20 and came back?  You knew all this, right?

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

You know one of the guys coming back almost died from leukemia, right?  And the other one had a pretty bad knee injury in 2019-20 and came back?  You knew all this, right?

Not to mention Ramey who lost his mom to cancer. In all honesty Ramey is probably the most Beard-ready player on the roster outside of Cunningham. 

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

That's not bad actually.  Well done.

It's not bad but it's not good either. It makes no sense, isn't a burn, and doesn't really mean anything. So other than letting the world know they're still hung up on losing their coach it doesn't accomplish much. Good job I guess?

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

It's not bad but it's not good either. It makes no sense, isn't a burn, and doesn't really mean anything. So other than letting the world know they're still hung up on losing their coach it doesn't accomplish much. Good job I guess?

I mean its fucking Tech. Its like the kid in the 2nd to last row of the class trying to raise his hand to ask a question, but no one gives a shit what he has to say and contributes nothing to the discussion.

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

when we beat Tech next year, i hope our official mbb twitter uses this song as the background for the highlight reel: