Chris Beard to Texas

Machinator

6 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

@Js1

To be fair to the people who are still emo about this, the sentiment that many in the Tech admin/AD did not like Beard at all is certainly not revisionist/alternate history, there were rumors aplenty since basically the minute he was hired, but once he started winning they were mostly ignored. What does that mean? Fuck if I know, probably nothing. He is a demanding guy and maybe/probably they were just sour that he mostly got whatever he asked for.

I've worked within a university bureaucracy before, shit gets real cliquey and that's probably what most of this is about.

I heard the same crap about mike leach when he was at tech. That the tech administration and brass were pissed at him for some reason or another. Apparently it’s a Texas tech tradition to have the administration dislike the best coach you’ve ever had in a sport. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Leach and Beard situations are/ were apples & oranges.  Bigtime.

It's hard to say Beard didn't have the support of the Tech administration.  He was the 4th highest paid coach in NCAA MBB and seldom had to ask twice for anything.  

I will agree that there's some kind of defect in the culture that they have to demonize someone who chose to leave.

Fuck em...and then go beat their ass.  That's the challenge, ain't it?

Edited by slorch

9 minutes ago, slorch said:

Leach and Beard situations are/ were apples & oranges.  Bigtime.

It's hard to say Beard didn't have the support of the Tech administration.  He was the 4th highest paid coach in NCAA MBB and seldom had to ask twice for anything.  

I will agree that there's some kind of defect in the culture that they have to demonize someone who chose to leave.

Fuck em...and then go beat their ass.  That's the challenge, ain't it?

Definitely different since they stupidly ultimately chose to run off Leach (and then fucked him on his contract) and did whatever they could to keep Beard, ultimately in vain. I’m just pointing out that the administration at Tech has seemingly bitched about both, but with beard I’m only hearing about it after the fact. There was plenty of rumors about bitching about leach while he was there, most likely due to contract negotiations. That was not the case with beard. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2021 at 9:52 AM, Hank Chinaski said:

https://aggypedia.com/wiki/GAP_kid

Let's just say it ends with dipshit aggies punching each other and comparing the children in this photo to Santa Anna's army. 

I know it's a bit late but I was just catching up and noticed that wiki is missing the actual text of McKinney's letter he wrote afterwards. It is important to capture these crucial moments in Agro-american history.

Commandancy of Section 15
Jones Stadium, Nov. 3rd 2001

To the People of College Station & all Agro-americans in the world --

Fellow farmers & 12th men -- I am besieged by a thousand or more of the Techsicans under Leach -- I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 60 minutes & have only given up 12 points -- The enemy demanded passage out of the stadium, otherwise, the fans are to be put to the goalpost, if the section is taken -- I have answered the demand with binoculars, & we are still humping it proudly from the walls -- I shall never surrender, or go to my car. Then, I call on you in the name of RC, of Reville & everything dear to the aggie character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch -- The enemy is receiving reinforcements every hour & will no increase to three or four thousand before they decide to go get some dinner and something to drink. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain as long as possible & then run to the newspapers and tell them I work for the governor.

Victory or Shreveport!
William Barret McKinney
Chf. Gomer, Comdt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

I heard the same crap about mike leach when he was at tech. That the tech administration and brass were pissed at him for some reason or another. Apparently it’s a Texas tech tradition to have the administration dislike the best coach you’ve ever had in a sport. 

You're not wrong. I've heard the same in one shape or form for years. Every university admin has their weird quirks and that seems like Tech's.

I worked for Rivals during Leach's tenure, there were several people at Tech I had interactions with fairly regularly that clearly disliked him.

Edited by Brian Fantana

3 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Definitely different since they stupidly ultimately chose to run off Leach (and then fucked him on his contract) and did whatever they could to keep Beard, ultimately in vain. I’m just pointing out that the administration at Tech has seemingly bitched about both, but with beard I’m only hearing about it after the fact. There was plenty of rumors about bitching about leach while he was there, most likely due to contract negotiations. That was not the case with beard. 

If you think about it, it's not all that weird that you're just now hearing about it. On the Tech $9.95 board, one of the guys that runs it hinted plenty of times during Beard's tenure that he had rubbed such and such admin (or even the AD) the wrong way from time to time, especially when he was negotiating his contracts. It's just not something you would ever really hear/care about if you weren't a fan of the school, and definitely something that most people would keep to themselves considering that he was successful.

I'm sure if he leaves Texas at some point that rumors will surface along the same vein, just slanted in whatever particular direction the Texas admin tends to lean.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

zero fucking surprise there, given Tech's history.  Somebody gonna be butthurt and accusing a once in a generation coach of thinking he was bigger than the program.

Owning more than half of the alltime tournament wins in 3 trips to the postseason kinda says he was.  I distinctly remember the parade of Tech players to the NBA/ professional ranks cranking up significantly following Beard's arrival.  It was probably just coincidental though.

Not all of em, but there are some small minded fucks in our administration/ GOBs.

Edited by slorch

7 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

If you think about it, it's not all that weird that you're just now hearing about it. On the Tech $9.95 board, one of the guys that runs it hinted plenty of times during Beard's tenure that he had rubbed such and such admin (or even the AD) the wrong way from time to time, especially when he was negotiating his contracts. It's just not something you would ever really hear/care about if you weren't a fan of the school, and definitely something that most people would keep to themselves considering that he was successful.

I'm sure if he leaves Texas at some point that rumors will surface along the same vein, just slanted in whatever particular direction the Texas admin tends to lean.

Sounds to me like the Tech administration needs to stop getting butthurt during contract negotiations and instead deal with reality as it is.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, jw4381 said:

And baseball. Don't forget about baseball. Feels damn good if you ask me.

The only thing that I dread about becoming Top 10 in all three sports again is the inevitable "I told you so" @closetojumping post referencing his classic Do You Realize How Good We've Got It HornFans post from 2001.

https://www.hornfans.com/threads/do-we-realize-how-good-weve-got-it.325/

• Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The only thing that I dread about becoming Top 10 in all three sports again is the inevitable "I told you so" @closetojumping post referencing his classic Do You Realize How Good We've Got It HornFans post from 2001.

Hot Christ. You fucker. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Sounds to me like the Tech administration needs to stop getting butthurt during contract negotiations and instead deal with reality as it is.

Considering what Tech did to Leach I don't know how the Tech administration can possibly be butthurt about anything in contract negotiations.  I guarantee you every Agent advises coaches to get what they can because the actual contract isn't worth the paper it's written on if they decide to fire you.

44 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

til ctj = horndfl.  i remember that post.  i also remembering hating greg davis for a long time.  i apologize mr davis.  

49 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I didn't know CTJ was capable of shooting that much sunshine out of his ass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Damn, 20 years ago now. I bet that makes you guys feel pretty old. 

We were just really young back then, Red Five. Now we're in our prime.

39 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That was CTJ back when he was capable of running a sub-5.0 40. Times have changed.

Listen, Johnny 5, get your wheels oiled up and fresh for the SurlyHorns Olympic Games-Invitational Golf Tournament-Celebrity Kickboxing Match-Farmers Market-and-311 Concert on September 4th and you'll see my sub-5.0 40 in action, while barefoot, as I blow past your redlining C64-powered vehicle.

The only thing that I dread about becoming Top 10 in all three sports again is the inevitable "I told you so" [mention=429]closetojumping[/mention] post referencing his classic Do You Realize How Good We've Got It HornFans post from 2001.

ctj carrying greg davis’ water “He sucked against OU for the 2nd straight year, but put us a position with colorado blah blah blah.”

outside of the greg davis universe “sark has everything he needs in year 1. No excuses or he can diaf!” - ctj

ctj is either greg davis or einhorn

4 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

ctj carrying greg davis’ water “He sucked against OU for the 2nd straight year, but put us a position with colorado blah blah blah.”

outside of the greg davis universe “sark has everything he needs in year 1. No excuses or he can diaf!” - ctj

ctj is either greg davis or einhorn

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

2 hours ago, Skipper said:

Considering what Tech did to Leach I don't know how the Tech administration can possibly be butthurt about anything in contract negotiations.  I guarantee you every Agent advises coaches to get what they can because the actual contract isn't worth the paper it's written on if they decide to fire you.

They really fucked themselves with their sovereign immunity bullshit to fuck over leach. Who knows, may have later cost them beard since a a tech contract is basically not a guaranteed one given that incredibly stupid and short sighted move. Hell even aggy wasn’t dumb enough to pull that one with rumlin, although I bet they considered it.

Kent hance is so fucking dumb even aggy just shakes their head at some of his moves.