Chris Beard to Texas

Machinator

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Craig James by several magnitudes.

I don't even dislike Chris Beard.  I won't pull for him at UT, but whatever.  several Tech fans are pissed about the $1MM saved on the buyout to APR 1.  I kind of see it as delayed karma for the money they stiffed Leach with before his season was even complete.

Oh...we' forgot about that, right?

Edited by slorch

This article from late last night comparing Beard to Billy Gillispie is amazing. My favorite paragraph:

”There is a psychological term for those who view other human beings as mere tools for their own gratification and aggrandizement. The term is sociopath. Whether or not Beard fits the clinical definition of a sociopath, I cannot say. But what I can say with complete certainty is that his behavior in accepting the Texas job was sociopathic.”

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Article/Chris-Beard-Following-in-Billy-Clyde-Gillispies-Footsteps-Kirby-Hocutt-Kader-Tapsoba-Shaka-Smart-163521036/

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

20 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

This article from late last night comparing Beard to Billy Gillispie is amazing. My favorite paragraph:

”There is a psychological term for those who view other human beings as mere tools for their own gratification and aggrandizement. The term is sociopath. Whether or not Beard fits the clinical definition of a sociopath, I cannot say. But what I can say with complete certainty is that his behavior in accepting the Texas job was sociopathic.”

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Article/Chris-Beard-Following-in-Billy-Clyde-Gillispies-Footsteps-Kirby-Hocutt-Kader-Tapsoba-Shaka-Smart-163521036/

Holy crap.  That article is bitterness at it's finest.  

It also didn't mention that Beard is a UT alum. 

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

When a man doesn't want to sleep with you, it doesn't necessarily mean he lost his sex appetite or there is something wrong with him. It usually means he found a better broad and is not into you any more despite how many times he told you he would never leave. 😂

1 hour ago, formermav43 said:

When I read the first sentence of that quote, I was certain that the article was going to be referring to Tech fans as the sociopaths here. (Seriously, read it.)

Nope, Beard is the sociopath in this piece, apparently, for "viewing other human beings as mere tools for [his] own gratification and self-aggrandizement" for...(checks notes)...taking a new job. 

Is this a bit? If not, that is an impressive lack of self-awareness. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

Good Lord that is a bitter, bitter person writing that article. And a really shitty armchair psychologist. 

14 minutes ago, honolulu horn said:

Good Lord that is a bitter, bitter person writing that article. And a really shitty armchair psychologist. 

Yep. Anyone taking a job to coach their alum for more money is obviously a sociopath, especially when it gets you the fuck out of glorified juco tech. 

What bitter fucking moron. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

Top 30 Wedding Crashers Loser GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

There is a psychological term for those who view other human beings as mere tools for their own gratification and aggrandizement. The term is sociopath. Whether or not the Tech fanbase fits the clinical definition of a sociopath, I cannot say. But what I can say with complete certainty is that their behavior in using Chris Beard for their personal gratification was sociopathic.

Edited by HookEm

All the handwringing about paying him more than Sark is for nought.

Spoiler

Chris Beard has agreed to a seven-year, $35 million contract as the new basketball coach of the Texas Longhorns, a source close to the situation told Horns247.

The contract calls for Beard to earn a base salary of $5 million in each year of the deal, plus incentives, and is "about 70 percent guaranteed," the source said.

Beard had a base salary this season at Texas Tech of $4.3 million, but he earned $5.1 million for the 2020-21 school year, because he had a one-time, $750,000 retention bonus paid to him in September, plus other incentives reached.

According to Beard’s last contract at Tech, obtained by Horns247, Beard was set to earn base salaries of $4.4 million in 2021-22; $4.5 million in 2022-23; $4.6 million in 2023-24; and $4.7 million in 2024-25.

Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt reportedly offered Beard a "lifetime contract" near the end of this past season. On Friday, Kansas announced a "lifetime contract" extension for Bill Self that starts with a new five-year, rolling agreement that automatically adds one year at the conclusion of each season for the remainder of Self's career.

There was some speculation Texas might have to pay Beard more than first-year football coach Steve Sarkisian to lure Beard to Austin. But that didn't end up being the case. In January, Sarkisian agreed to a six-year, $34.2 million contract that starts at a base salary of $5.2 million and escalates by $200,000 in each year of the deal.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, formermav43 said:

soooo, Texas offered Beard the job, after which Beard peed the bed, tortured some animals, and then burned down a building? man, i'm not sure i want this guy anymore after hearing that. 

Geez, this reads like it was written by a sixth-grader with a thesaurus.

lol. Is this guy a paid staff member?

Who sounds more like a sociopath - the guy who leaves for a  better job, or the unhinged narcissist who perceives a normal and completely understandable career move as a personal betrayal that rises to the level of "sociopathic"? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

All the handwringing about paying him more than Sark is for nought.

Hide contents

Chris Beard has agreed to a seven-year, $35 million contract as the new basketball coach of the Texas Longhorns, a source close to the situation told Horns247.

The contract calls for Beard to earn a base salary of $5 million in each year of the deal, plus incentives, and is "about 70 percent guaranteed," the source said.

Beard had a base salary this season at Texas Tech of $4.3 million, but he earned $5.1 million for the 2020-21 school year, because he had a one-time, $750,000 retention bonus paid to him in September, plus other incentives reached.

According to Beard’s last contract at Tech, obtained by Horns247, Beard was set to earn base salaries of $4.4 million in 2021-22; $4.5 million in 2022-23; $4.6 million in 2023-24; and $4.7 million in 2024-25.

Texas Tech athletic director Kirby Hocutt reportedly offered Beard a "lifetime contract" near the end of this past season. On Friday, Kansas announced a "lifetime contract" extension for Bill Self that starts with a new five-year, rolling agreement that automatically adds one year at the conclusion of each season for the remainder of Self's career.

There was some speculation Texas might have to pay Beard more than first-year football coach Steve Sarkisian to lure Beard to Austin. But that didn't end up being the case. In January, Sarkisian agreed to a six-year, $34.2 million contract that starts at a base salary of $5.2 million and escalates by $200,000 in each year of the deal.

How does that compare to what he was making at Tech? Is it even that big of a pay raise for him?

Nvm I didn’t read fully. Disregard.

Edited by GTX Horn
I’m dumb

4 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

The details we need.

Maybe I missed it.  Was the meeting in (lap of luxury) Plainvieq pre or post Shaka’s announcement?

32 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

But he’ll be loyal to US for sure. 

Hopefully we won't act like a bunch of psychos if he moves on. Coaches usually get tossed out of here on their asses or retire as legends so it's uncharted waters. If he wins at a high enough level to get a better gig then more power to him and thanks for the wins.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 2

I don't think the move was about money at all for Beard.  He was already top five in the country.  I think he was looking for this move for at least a couple of years because it's where he wants to be.  I think both programs will be the better for it too, so long as Tech doesn't fuck up the next hire.  They've got the facilities, the fan support, the momentum, and the willingness to pay with the big boys to do just fine.  They just built the best practice facility in the country under Beard's direction.  They'll be fine if that AD doesn't fuck it up - which given his history of hires he just might.

Watching Beard melt down when he realizes just how little support UT basketball gets from the Austin community is not going to be fun, though.  I don't think he, like most alums that haven't lived in Austin for a while, realizes that this isn't a college town anymore and most of the people who live and work here aren't Longhorns.  They are college graduates however, so their loyalties are elsewhere.  I think it's a big reason football games still sell well (people are willing to travel in for football) and basketball games are sad empty affairs.  Basketball games just aren't the event that football games are.  And locals who aren't Longhorns aren't going to show up, there are too many other things to do around here.

Either way, I suspect the program will be better with Beard.  I think he'll need to change his stripes a bit, but if his time in Lubbock taught us anything it's that he's willing to peddle a certain amount of bullshit to fit in with the local culture.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, formermav43 said:

Well, if a person prefers Austin to Lubbock, they must be psychologically damaged in some way, right?

What other explanation could there possibly be?

27 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

But he’ll be loyal to US for sure. 

26 minutes ago, slorch said:

Maybe I missed it.  Was the meeting in (lap of luxury) Plainvieq pre or post Shaka’s announcement?

I could be wrong, but my assumption is that because the tweet says Thursday, it meant yesterday. CDC flew out, hammered out a deal, brought him back to austin.

1 minute ago, Cashcar said:

Just win...do that consistently and the Moody attendance will be fine. 

This. When I was a freshman we ripped off an undefeated streak and were number 1 in the country midseason I think. I tried to go to a game and couldn't even get close to the entrance. 

• Hook 'Em 1