Chris Beard to Texas

Machinator

35 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

Anyone know how Tech vs Texas compares as far as prices for someone to go watch the basketball game, buy a couple beards, I mean bears and maybe some snacks?

I don’t know if I even want to go to that game as a tech fan, much less UT.  Stupid stuff is going to happen. As in, likely worse than all of accusations aggy ever levied our way.

56 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The bears are free if you go to the right clubs. 

I'm sure there are free beards in some bars too, but I have no interest in that.

I'm an adult with a job.  I'll pay for my beers... just don't like being nickel and dimed.

I've only been to the Frank Irwin center to watch UFC (Cowboy vs. Medeiros).

But God willing, I want to go watch some UT basketball later this year!

1 hour ago, jinx said:

That's what we have been for over a decade.  Are you not entertained?

Ha. Exactly why I say it seems overrated. We've all observed its downside, starting when Barnes declared his goal was basically to prep guys for the next level. At that moment was the shark jumped.

• Hook 'Em 1

Apparently Tech fans think they have a long and storied basketball tradition and that they always have rabid fan support and put a lot more butts in the seat.  

So in the last 20 years, they have outdrawn us three times.  And one of those times it was a difference of 300 fans per game.  The other two were their national title game year and the year after.

Jesus their fans are fucking stupid.  They make Aggies look like Stanford.  

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Apparently Tech fans think they have a long and storied basketball tradition and that they always have rabid fan support and put a lot more butts in the seat.  

So in the last 20 years, they have outdrawn us three times.  And one of those times it was a difference of 300 fans per game.  The other two were their national title game year and the year after.

Jesus their fans are fucking stupid.  They make Aggies look like Stanford.  

They also think Lubbock is a destination

5 hours ago, Ricky Butler said:

I enjoy the IT guys but they don't understand probabilities when it comes to coaching searches.

So, Shaka ended up going “home” to Marquette, and Beard went “home” to Texas.  Are basketball coaches more apt to coach at their alma mater than, say football coaches?  Seems like it. 

2 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

So, Shaka ended up going “home” to Marquette, and Beard went “home” to Texas.  Are basketball coaches more apt to coach at their alma mater than, say football coaches?  Seems like it. 

Basketball coaches who lose ACU are definitely more likely to go home. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Shaka's alma mater is Kenyon College in Ohio. 

7 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

I don't think the move was about money at all for Beard.  He was already top five in the country.  I think he was looking for this move for at least a couple of years because it's where he wants to be.  I think both programs will be the better for it too, so long as Tech doesn't fuck up the next hire.  They've got the facilities, the fan support, the momentum, and the willingness to pay with the big boys to do just fine.  They just built the best practice facility in the country under Beard's direction.  They'll be fine if that AD doesn't fuck it up - which given his history of hires he just might.

Watching Beard melt down when he realizes just how little support UT basketball gets from the Austin community is not going to be fun, though.  I don't think he, like most alums that haven't lived in Austin for a while, realizes that this isn't a college town anymore and most of the people who live and work here aren't Longhorns.  They are college graduates however, so their loyalties are elsewhere.  I think it's a big reason football games still sell well (people are willing to travel in for football) and basketball games are sad empty affairs.  Basketball games just aren't the event that football games are.  And locals who aren't Longhorns aren't going to show up, there are too many other things to do around here.

Either way, I suspect the program will be better with Beard.  I think he'll need to change his stripes a bit, but if his time in Lubbock taught us anything it's that he's willing to peddle a certain amount of bullshit to fit in with the local culture.  

What he wanted was what every UT alum who leaves town wants.

To move back to Austin.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Herminator said:

Ok here’s a guess L to R - no clue, Ian Mooney, Chris Clack, TJ Ford, CB, JD Drew, Brian Boddicker, no clue, no clue, Connor Lammert, Chris Ogden. 

Any ideas on the other folks?

guy on the far left is Atchley, "JD Drew" is JD Lewis, and then there's Will Wyatt and Ryan McClurg. 

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 4/1/2021 at 9:51 PM, 936horn said:

No shit, polo shirt under a sport coat is absolute bush league. Are those sweatpants styled like slacks? The fuck?

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Ex_sofzW8AEkvOX?format=jpg&name=large

I'm starting to worry TJ is homeless. We got anything left in the wreath fund? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Those pants are pretty dope, but I'm also young, so...

sadly I'm trending more to the progressive commercial syndrome, so I'll gladly admit to being out of fashion touch. but a sweat pant looking pinstripe suit combo looks like ass to me. 

9 hours ago, Blotto said:

I could be wrong, but my assumption is that because the tweet says Thursday, it meant yesterday. CDC flew out, hammered out a deal, brought him back to austin.

That's the marketing story.   the deal was already hammered out with the agent.  Thursday was the we didn't talk to him until April 1st so buyout is 4M and the final "are you ready to do this because we are getting on a plane" meeting.

but whatever, the marketing story makes everyone look good, which is the point.