Chris Beard to Texas

Machinator

13 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

that game and the home win vs OU that year (both UNC and OU ended up in the Final Four, Texas went 0-2 in the postseason) were two of the best atmospheres i've ever been a part of at the FEC, and i've been there for some really epic crowds/games. there's more than a million people within driving distance of the FEC, and 50,000 undergrads. we can get 12-13k to come out for a winning program. 

Agree with this, but I go further.  I was in 7th grade when the “super drum” opened.  People wanted to see what it was like.  Few people cared about the team’s record.  Not saying it was a sellout, but the curiosity factor was huge.  It should be the same for Moody.  Any kind of winning record the first year and we should easily get 10k in year 2 and forward.  What is max? 11k?

6 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Fun fact...Texas sold out once during Weltlich’s tenure. It was against aggy. A couple of players went outside to take pictures of the SOLD OUT sign on the I35 side of the FEC.

We sold out plenty of times under Penders and Barnes. My season ticket in Penders first year was $7 per. I think it was $45 in the last year of Barnes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The best part of that tweet is saying Kevin Durant choked to Carmelo Anthony in the final 4. lol

Still too soon for me.  Please don't bring up that painful memory.

The debate here on the FEC is correct on both sides.  There were some epic games with great crowds during the Penders and Barnes years.  OU game in 2003 was epic, though looking it up it wasn't a true sell out. I remember TCU running laps around our floor some time in the late 1990s after beating us. Darvin Hamm nearly broke our goal in front of a raucous crowd in the late 90s.

But the Erwin Center absolutely sucks as a basketball venue. It was even worse before they fixed the seating to actually square up with the court and the seating was an oval. Almost 17k is way too many for a football school like Texas.  FWIW, the O Dome at UF only holds a handful over 10k.  It is a great place to watch a game.  It isn't lit like a movie theatre either.  That has always been one of my biggest gripes about FEC is the horrific lighting.

This was complete dogshit...

Celebrating 40 Years of the Frank Erwin Center - Austin Monthly Magazine

I'm looking forward to the Moody Center opening.  Living in Florida, I haven't been to a basketball game in person since 2004. I will go back to see the new arena at some point.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Fun fact...Texas sold out once during Weltlich’s tenure. It was against aggy. A couple of players went outside to take pictures of the SOLD OUT sign on the I35 side of the FEC.

If that was during the same year of the Lady 'Horns unbeaten season, when the men would've won the SWC regular season outright if not for Jamie Dixon's improbable halfcourt buzzer beater, then my family and I were there. We sat up in the mezz between a large group of UT students and some aggy in their pretend uniforms.

The Drum was angry that day, my friends, like an old man trying to get extra mustard for his hot dog at a concession stand. Whenever something good happened for Texas, the place would erupt in a deafening cacophony.

The aggy posers would hunch over and make weird chants and gestures. The Texas faithful would respond by yelling, "Give 'em hell, give 'em hell, make 'em eat shit!" in their general direction anytime Texas Fight was played. It was my first exposure to the "rivalry," and I realized right then and there that I wanted nothing to do with aggy.

Don't remember much else about the game other than the Longhorns won and the general noise and energy.

We went to all the league home games that season. My favorite souvenirs were programs autographed by John Brownlee and Patrick Fairs, but both mementos have long since been lost to time.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

My roommates and I attended almost every home game during the Kaiser Bob era. Most nights we could move down and sit right behind the bench. Those were some lean years. You could accurately count the number of fans in the stands in about a minute and get up and back from concessions before the timeout ended. So many players quit the team that they dressed one of the male cheerleaders (Lance) to sit on the bench.

My memory of that A&M game is that we were disgusted to suddenly find ourselves up in the rafters that night because of the front-runners that had just discovered we had a men's basketball program. The pinhead behind us bragged about being a big Longhorn basketball fan, then spent the entire game referring to Raynard Davis as "John Brownlee", and vice versa.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i've been to more sellouts at the (formerly) 16,755 seat FEC than i can remember. back when things were good under Barnes we would regularly have 12,000+ for conference games and total sellouts for the really big games, even in December. and, during the TJ years, we actually did have a good student section. i absolutely believe that Beard is going to do what it takes to get the students to show up in numbers and be loud. if/when our program becomes good again, the arena will be rocking. 

This is not brain surgery.  

1.  Offer $5 tickets for an expanded student section

2.  Sell beer at a reasonable price.

3.  Watch attendance explode, the fans loudly cheer their team, and BB games become a desirable event to attend again.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

We sold out plenty of times under Penders and Barnes. My season ticket in Penders first year was $7 per. I think it was $45 in the last year of Barnes. 

Abe also had sellouts. And we had sellouts at Gregory when the aggy, pigs, dirt burglars and other teams came to town. The crowds were amazing at those games.

• Hook 'Em 2

If that was during the same year of the Lady 'Horns unbeaten season, when the men would've won the SWC regular season outright if not for Jamie Dixon's improbable halfcourt buzzer beater, then my family and I were there. We sat up in the mezz between a large group of UT students and some aggy in their pretend uniforms.
The Drum was angry that day, my friends, like an old man trying to get extra mustard for his hot dog at a concession stand. Whenever something good happened for Texas, the place would erupt in a deafening cacophony.
The aggy posers would hunch over and make weird chants and gestures. The Texas faithful would respond by yelling, "Give 'em hell, give 'em hell, make 'em eat shit!" in their general direction anytime Texas Fight was played. It was my first exposure to the "rivalry," and I realized right then and there that I wanted nothing to do with aggy.
Don't remember much else about the game other than the Longhorns won and the general noise and energy.
We went to all the league home games that season. My favorite souvenirs were programs autographed by John Brownlee and Patrick Fairs, but both mementos have long since been lost to time.
the make em eat shit was coined during a sellout at the drum during the ABE era for an arkansas game with the evil shitbag eddie fuckface cocksucking motherfucker shiteater sutton as ark head coach. we finally pounded ark and make em eat shit was robustly sung by all 19,000+ in attendance. 19,000+ you say? yes. the exit doors were opened by some kind soul and a lot of us rushed in before they noticed and closed them.

we had lots of sellouts during the ABE era. it wasn't just people were curious about the Drum as one wag said earlier. Abe had a good program going and people went to the games. idoit. DeLOSS killed all that with firing Abe and hiring that wanker loser kaiser bob moron. fuck you DeLOSS. fuck you kaiser bob.

watched the presser and loved how coach beard wasnt afraid to talk about winning championships year 1.  thats the type of mentality I hope our football team has as well.  loved that he also mentioned that next year isnt an asterisk year, and its not a situation where we will be saying "oh just wait until he gets 'his' players here", a common excuse for teams that lose with a new head coach.  he looked at those common excuses and said fuck that shit, we are winning now.

also love that he seems committed to bringing back former players to help build this thing right.  that is one thing that i felt we never utilized while Shaka was here, not sure if its because they were all Rick guys or what, but now that Beard is here, I hope they can feel comfortable coming back and helping him get this thing going.

overall, we got ourselves a fucking basketball coach.  lets give him the time and patience that it takes to get things going.

hook em

Edited by DiceHands

2 hours ago, realgreggym said:

Abe also had sellouts. And we had sellouts at Gregory when the aggy, pigs, dirt burglars and other teams came to town. The crowds were amazing at those games.

I wish I had a chance to see games at Gregory.

My first Texas basketball game was against Arkisaw the first season The Drum was open, 77-78. I was still in HS, we managed to get low baseline seats, Sutton’s Piggy team was ranked #4 (I think they made the SI cover that season), and Texas won in a game that was close from start to finish. I never heard the place that loud again.

I also remember a televised game in those early years when John Wooden was doing color. Wooden said - I shit you not - that the SEC (before the F was added) was the best basketball arena in the country. By “best,” he must have meant the nicest, newest, shiniest, state-of-the-art arena. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

No, it's the real account.

There's the real account, which has two underscores, and is not suspended. https://twitter.com/CoachBeard__UT

Then, there's the fake parody account, which has one underscore, and is suspended. https://twitter.com/CoachBeard_UT

You'd think that the head basketball coach at Texas could have acquired a Twitter handle without double fucking underscores. Let's hope his handling of the Xs and Os is better than his social media creds.

Edited by Hornlover
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

There's the real account, which has two underscores, and is not suspended. https://twitter.com/CoachBeard__UT

Then, there's the fake parody account, which has one underscore, and is suspended. https://twitter.com/CoachBeard_UT

You'd think that the head basketball coach at Texas could have acquired a Twitter handle without double fucking underscores. Let's hope his handling of the Xs and Os is better than his social media creds.

Since I posted that the accounts have changed hands.

38 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I wish I had a chance to see games at Gregory.

My first Texas basketball game was against Arkisaw the first season The Drum was open, 77-78. I was still in HS, we managed to get low baseline seats, Sutton’s Piggy team was ranked #4 (I think they made the SI cover that season), and Texas won in a game that was close from start to finish. I never heard the place that loud again.

I also remember a televised game in those early years when John Wooden was doing color. Wooden said - I shit you not - that the SEC (before the F was added) was the best basketball arena in the country. By “best,” he must have meant the nicest, newest, shiniest, state-of-the-art arena. 

Wally, I met John Wooden I believe at the first game that was played at the Drum. Gregory was sort of a 2 edged sword. We had one game

when the paid attendance was 17. Thats right. 17. Wasn't even enough for meal money. Granted the weather was horrible but damn. But when some of those SWC teams

and the dirt burglars came to town, that place was packed and the fans were incredible. The best part was that the fans were right on the court literally. When I sat

on the bench, my shoes were physically on the court line and I had size 11 shoes.. There were bleachers on the stage when the fans were going crazy, especially during a timeout, the band was blaring and you couldn't hear a word the coaches were saying.  One of our best fans was a guy named Marty I think. He would always sit on the first row straddling the half court line and was constantly letting the refs hear it. He was hysterical and I have to believe that the refs would privately tell you that they also thought he was great.

I don't know how big Moody is going to be but I hope the fans will be close to the court. Its not the number of fans at a game but the configuration of the gym.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Pancho said:

Gerry at IT saying Beard’s house in Lubbock was being vandalized by Tech folks over the weekend.

Thanks for making the point for us dumbasses. If you can't get your grades up, get your guns up!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, westexhorn said:

I think they took down the fake account?

This is what I was pointing out earlier.  The single underscore is a parody account that was tweeting about not getting as big of a raise as expected, and other things.  I bet the aggys of the plains didn't understand that.

4 hours ago, Pancho said:

Gerry at IT saying Beard’s house in Lubbock was being vandalized by Tech folks over the weekend.

I'm completely shocked that a group of fans that are known for throwing bags of piss, batteries, and ripped the bleachers out of their stadium would react this way.  SHOCKED I TELL YOU.  

In some ways TT fans are worse than aggy.  Aggy is just dumb, and delusional.  TT fans are that crazy ex that tries to burn your house down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I'm completely shocked that a group of fans that are known for throwing bags of piss, batteries, and ripped the bleachers out of their stadium would react this way.  SHOCKED I TELL YOU.  

In some ways TT fans are worse than aggy.  Aggy is just dumb, and delusional.  TT fans are that crazy ex that tries to burn your house down.

I was trying to find video of the bleachers thing to respond to that comment but couldn’t find it. Do you remember what year that was? 

this isn't really the place to post this, but for some reason the shaka smart thread is locked (??), so i guess i'll share this here. 

Here's our final memory of Shaka Smart as the HC at Texas. Extremely appropriate and fitting:

also, lady, that shit was all too believable for anyone who's been paying attention to Shaka Smart. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2