Chris Beard to Texas

Machinator

12 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

You think Mark Few and Coach K are available for programs to poach? LMAO. Yeah, I'm definitely the one spouting off dumb shit here. While we're at it we should have called Gregg Popovich!

Chris Beard was easily the top guy out there that was reasonably available.

Nice self-own. Yes, Beard was the top guy out there who was reasonably available. Like, say, Tom Herman. Few and Krzyzewski were not available. Like, say, Saban and Meyer.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Mo Horn said:

His biggest challenge is still ahead... finding someone to replace Eddie Reese. Talk about a high bar for the next coach. Oh, you only won 10 national championships. You suck. 

Yep.  CDC isn't likely to upgrade that position.  I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Charlie Strong was our fourth or fifth choice that we know of. Sarkisian, we don't really know because CDC keeps things so close to the vest, but we know he wasn't our first.

Chris Beard was our guy and we got him.

We've been turned down by Gary Patterson, Jim Mora, and Art Briles and lord knows who else. Comparing those guys to Coach K and Mark Few is one of the stupidest takes on the basketball board in awhile.

Umm, you said “elite” coaches, which to most people implied Saban and Meyer. If you meant the guys you just named instead...lol

What CDC has done with coaching hires is nothing short of a miracle. We all knew he was a great salesman and could raise money for the much needed facilities upgrades but many of us, including me, had doubts about his ability to hire great coaches. I must say I am very impressed with his work so far!

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, kevwun said:

[slorch] I still don't think Beard is interested in the Texas job.[/slorch]

Never said anything like that...I maintained that if he left, it wouldn’t be because Tech didn’t have a worthy offer.

Pretty sure I kept my takes pretty damned reasonable throughout the deal, to the point that I was willing to share  opinions on Surly’s podcast.

Enjoy Coach Beard.  Sorry to see him go, for sure.

Edited by slorch

9 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

His biggest challenge is still ahead... finding someone to replace Eddie Reese. Talk about a high bar for the next coach. Oh, you only won 10 national championships. You suck. 

LMAO at thinking CDC is going to "hire" Reese's replacement.

Reese is staying on as head coach emeritus.  The new guy will be who Reese tells CDC to hire. And that is perfectly acceptable, Reese is the GOAT and who the GOAT wants to succeed him is fine by me! 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Not even Greenspoint has posted a take as dumb as "Texas was turned down by Art Briles and all these other names." You're one of those idiots that actually believes that every time an agent leaks to a reporter that their client has withdrawn his name from a candidacy that he genuinely withdrew interest versus didn't get the job. You're not very bright.

You obviously don't follow Texas football very closely. It was very well known that we reached out to all three of those guys (Mora, Briles, Patterson) and were shut down.

Imagine thinking Charlie Strong was our first choice.

michael jordan laughing GIF

• Fuck You 3

44 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

sounds promising, but i need confirmation from a source i've heard of.  not saying this guy is wrong, but i don't know how credible they are.

I won't believe it until I hear Chip Brown say it's not happening!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

You obviously don't follow Texas football very closely. It was very well known that we reached out to all three of those guys (Mora, Briles, Patterson) and were shut down.

And Jimmy Sexton got Mora a nice fat raise and ended up getting him a $10 mil buyout upon his firing.  Fuck Jimmy Sexton in the goatass.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Sbbruin said:

And Jimmy Sexton got Mora a nice fat raise and ended up getting him a $10 mil buyout upon his firing.  Fuck Jimmy Sexton in the goatass.

LOL. You're welcome.

Our football program has gotten raises for a lot of coaches. It's kind of our thing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Imagine being dumb enough to actually believe that Texas Tech is Chris Beard’s dream job. 

Even better are the reasons listed for why it's a dream job. It's like he's talking about Duke. 

An underdiscussed aspect of Beard coming to UT is that we'll finally be able to recruit the metroplex with full force. For whatever reason over the last decade or so (basically LaMarcus Aldridge) we haven't really been able to pull a lot of the high quality DFW area players. Andrew Jones and Myles Turner being the only exception. Conversely, Beard has feasted on the metroplex despite being at an Under Armor school. Now with the full weight of being at one of the major Nike brand schools he'll hopefully get us back into the "market" for Dallas area talent.  I've already got my I on a few of those elite Dallas area guard in the 2022 class.  

• Hook 'Em 6

7 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Imagine thinking Steve Patterson wasn't dumb enough to zero in on Charlie Strong using Korn Ferry as cover.