Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

FYI - another guy (Bradford) leaving A&M.  They have 3 guys left on their roster, from last season.  Stunning.  This is an excerpt from an article on Aggy 247.

image.thumb.png.8c9e80b8545a0dd28464463a975996fe.png

Man, did Buzz start hitting the bottle or something? That's some seriously bad vibes.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

FYI - another guy (Bradford) leaving A&M.  They have 3 guys left on their roster, from last season.  Stunning.  This is an excerpt from an article on Aggy 247.

image.thumb.png.8c9e80b8545a0dd28464463a975996fe.png

I can’t believe Tech didn’t lure Hassan Diarrhea out to Lubbock with free life time hemorrhoid banding. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Solid eval.

I have him in my Top 24 Players and my Top 5 at the SF position* for the 2023 class.

Spoiler

NOTE: I don’t evaluate shit. I am simply mocking those who watch HUDL videos and then rank players in their spare time. 💪 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Solid eval.

I have him in my Top 24 Players and my Top 5 at the SF position* for the 2023 class.

Reveal hidden contents

NOTE: I don’t evaluate shit. I am simply mocking those who watch HUDL videos and then rank players in their spare time. 💪 

You’d be $9.95 richer without the spoiler.

• Haha 2

Roach on Harmon

Spoiler

— I spoke with sources close to De'Vion Harmon today. While I don't usually dabble in basketball recruiting, I do happen to have some sources in this one. The Oklahoma guard is looking to transfer and Texas is at the top of the list for him right now. Harmon is looking for a system that fits his style and can help him reach the NBA. He's also keeping a close eye on where transfers are showing up and which players are returning. Harmon and his family had a Zoom call with Texas today that was described as very positive and Chris Beard recruited Harmon out of high school. At this point, the recruitment could hinge on if Matt Coleman returns or not. If he does, Texas would likely be eliminated. Oregon is the other front runner and probably the slight favorite at the moment as new assistant Chris Crutchfield was one of the main reasons Harmon picked Oklahoma originally. The Sooners are also in the picture along with BYU. There is no timeline at the moment for a decision.

(Chip Brown)

Morning Brew: The latest on Greg Brown's decision about whether to return to Texas or enter NBA Draft

Errybody may be back.  Maybe.

Spoiler

Morning Brew: The latest on Greg Brown's decision about whether to return to Texas or enter NBA Draft

Chip Brown

Good Morning, Horns247!

— Texas 6-foot-9 forward Greg Brown, who averaged 9.3 points and 6.2 rebounds as a freshman for the Longhorns last season, is still weighing his options about whether to enter the NBA Draft or return to UT under new coach Chris Beard, a source close to Brown told Horns247.

The source said there was no chance Brown would've returned to Texas if there hadn't been a coaching change following Shaka Smart's decision to leave after six seasons as coach of the Longhorns to take over at Marquette.

"Not a chance," the source said.

But with Beard's hire as coach at Texas, Brown is seriously considering a return to Texas.

"There's definitely a chance," the source said. "He's figuring that out right now. He loves the hire (of Beard) — absolutely loves it."

The deadline for underclassmen to declare for the NBA draft is May 31.

Brown, the No. 9-ranked high school prospect in the country by 247Sports, turned down a $300,000 offer from the NBA's G-League coming out of Austin Vandergrift a year ago to go to Texas.

Nine games into his freshman year, Brown was averaging 12.7 points and 7.1 rebounds, coming off a career-high 24 points in a 77-74 win over Oklahoma State. But toward the end of the season, Brown's minutes and production dropped. Brown played only 8.3 minutes per game for Texas in the Longhorns' last three games of the season, including six minutes in a first-round NCAA Tournament loss to Abilene Christian.

It was reminiscent of former Longhorn freshman Myles Turner playing only nine minutes in a first-round, NCAA Tournament upset loss to Butler under Rick Barnes. That turned out to be Turner's last game at UT before he moved on to the NBA. We'll see if Brown follows the footsteps of Turner or returns to Texas for a fresh start under Beard.

— Along with Brown, 6-foot-10 power forward Jericho Sims, point guard Matt Coleman and junior guard Courtney Ramey have yet to announce if they will be joining returning Texas teammates — guard Andrew Jones, wing Jase Febres and small forward Brock Cunningham — in Austin next season.

Beard said last week he's been in touch with all of those players and felt optimistic about the return "of a couple of those guys."

According to sources, like Brown, there was little chance Sims and Coleman would've returned to Texas if there hadn't been a coaching change — from Smart to Beard — following last season. Both Sims and Coleman would've taken their chances in the NBA Draft and moved on to professional basketball - either in the NBA or abroad, sources said.

But sources told Horns247 Sims and Coleman are also seriously considering a return to Texas, putting the odds at "50-50."

Ramey is expected to return but has been hard to read. Since the season ended, Ramey has been taking classes online from Dallas and hasn't been a part of the NCAA-allowed two hours of workout time per week with Beard and his new staff, sources said.

Beard has signed three Division I transfers — former Utah forward Timmy Allen, former Kentucky point guard Devin Askew and former Creighton forward Christian Bishop — to athletic scholarship agreements for the 2021-22 season in addition to signing 6-foot-6, four-star guard/forward Jaylon Tyson of Plano John Paul II, the 35th-ranked prospect in 2021, according to the 247Sports Composite ranking.

There becomes a point where Ramey and Coleman waiting to make a decision actually is detrimental to the team, as equally/better skilled guards in the portal will choose to go elsewhere if they think there's a good chance of Ramey or Coleman taking valuable playing time.  

Simms is a critical addition and I don't mind giving more time to decide.

two rebounding paint presence guys and a guard with a handle are what can take the team up from a likely 3rd/4th place Big 12 finish to being one of the favorites to win it.  We absolutely need a guy to play center and a 2nd PG.  If Ramey comes back, a viable argument can be made that we still need a 2nd reliable ballhandler.

I'd take Simms, the UTEP big, and the OU point guard transfer and call it a wrap... a Greg Brown surprise decision or a different, third big man in the loop would be awesome.

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

So let me see if I have this right.  Brown wasn't signing with Texas under any circumstance if Shaka was fired last year, but he wasn't staying under any circumstance if Shaka was retained this year? 

Good salesman, shitty coach. Makes sense to me.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

The Greg Brown situation makes sense, he did get benched at the end of the year. The Matt Coleman stuff doesn't though and makes me think FCB is just pulling stuff out of his ass, as he is known to do.

Coleman statement is confusing, but it could be that he’s already dedicated 4 years to Shaka and Texas and not getting any younger. The Beard higher breathes new life into the program and the roster is filling out to maybe be special. 

40 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

The Greg Brown situation makes sense, he did get benched at the end of the year. The Matt Coleman stuff doesn't though and makes me think FCB is just pulling stuff out of his ass, as he is known to do.

I'm fairly certain that Coleman and Jerrance Howard have a relationship. 

Kansas offered him and Coleman has made a couple posts on Howard's IG like they have a relationship. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Has this guy even been mentioned on the Texas boards? This feels like a hat on the table ordeal. 

Ongenda is 6'11 so it might make sense if Texas is looking to add a prototypical 5 type with size. 

Edited by texasstrong12

3 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Has this guy even been mentioned on the Texas boards? This feels like a hat on the table ordeal. 

Ongenda is 6'11 so it might make sense if Texas is looking to add a prototypical 5 type with size. 

Would take Kur Kuath over this guy - pure rim protecting defender that would come in as a grad transfer and knows the Big 12.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, texifornia said:

"Mississauga, AB" - Alberta, Ontario, what's the difference?

I knew a girl from Mississauga, ON. It's a really interesting place that used to get a lot of American tourism pre 9/11. It's actually a fascinating case study in what our rust belt, Great Lake bordering cities could have been/be, were it not for the arrival and departure of "industry".  

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I knew a girl from Mississauga, ON. It's a really interesting place that used to get a lot of American tourism pre 9/11. It's actually a fascinating case study in what our rust belt, Great Lake bordering cities could have been/be, were it not for the arrival and departure of "industry".  

I used to have to visit Chatham, ON regularly in the 2000’s, which is the counterpoint town to your point. It was once a player in the supply chain to Detroit with a ton of old warehouses and industrial offices. Beautiful outside of the town, but just kind of dying inside the populated area.

They had transitioned to call centers and labor arbitrage, so US companies were using their services when the CA$ was cheaper. The e-commerce firm I was a part of was using them for just that and I led that kind of work, among other shit, so got to see that part of CA monthly for a few years. 

We’d come up through Detroit, gamble in the shithole of Windsor, and then drive on up from there. They had like 2 bars and 5 hot chicks in the whole fucking town of Chatham. 5 was enough though. Good times. 

Forgot what thread I’m on at this point.  Just couldn’t avoid some obscure Canadian town talk once I saw it though. 

• Haha 1

DUSHAWN LONDON:  Coastal Carolina star Devante Jones talks schools involved, pro route

Spoiler

Coastal Carolina star Devante Jones talks schools involved, pro route
DUSHAWN LONDON

Coastal Carolina star point guard Devante Jones has entered the transfer portal. Jones averaged 19.3 points and 7.2 rebounds while winning the Sun Belt Player of the Year. Jones has heard so far from a host of programs but has gotten a lot of love from Texas, Michigan, and Memphis.

“I haven't really put my brain to the aspect of schools yet, I let them speak with my Dad but Texas has been on me heavy along with Memphis and Michigan,” he said. “Those have been the three schools that have been showing a lot of love. I also spoke with Baylor but it hasn't kicked off like the other schools yet but those have been the four schools I've been interacting with. Like I said I'm going to leave that to my parents because I'm focused on the NBA aspect right now.”

“I’ll possibly be making a final three or five because it's not just one school that sticks out so far because I like multiple schools right now. I'm not going to make this decision until the last deadline because I feel like if a school really needs me or wants me in the program they'll understand that my first goal is to go to the league and I just want to do all the workouts that I can and get all the feedback that I can so if I do come back to school I know what I need to work on as a player to make my future be more of a realistic thing, rather than just a dream.”

Jones broke down those four schools with 247Sports.

Texas: “I love what they're doing with the program and the people they brought in like the point guard from Kentucky. I feel like Askew and I can play alongside each other with one having the ball in hand while the other being that creator. I feel like that could be a good spot for me if I did decide to come back to college. They're doing something big over there so I can definitely see Texas being in my final three, final five, or whatever the case may be.”

Michigan: “It's Juwan Howard so that speaks for itself. I watched them play a lot last year and they did amazing things. They do good at having pro guys and producing pros so that could be a good opportunity for me to learn under Juwan Howard and pick his brain with him being around the NBA for so long. I can definitely see that being a big factor if I did decide to go to Michigan.

Memphis: “It's Penny Hardaway so that's self explanatory. He's a legend in my eyes so I can definitely see that possibility. Watching them play, I like how they play a lot of pressure defense so they would be another option for me. I also liked how coach Penny played as a player, I studied his game a lot and with his name around the league, he can definitely help me with my pro aspirations as well.”

Baylor: “They're national champs so that's a real big factor. My goal when I decided to leave Costal was if I do stay in college, I want to go to a team that will make a national championship run, and they did that. They're losing a lot of key guys but I have a good relationship with Davion Mitchell, MaCio Teague, Jared Butler, and the other guys so I know how coach lets the guards rock out and play to the best of their abilities. I know that would be a good fit for me. I also love Waco, Texas, the fan base, and everything they're doing over there. I love that coach Scott Drew is trying to rebuild the pieces from what they're losing so that would also be a great fit. If I did commit to a college they would also be in my top two or three for sure because I've been a big fan of Baylor for a while and seeing what they did this past year inspired me to want to be a part of something special like that.”

While Jones says he is leaning towards the NBA draft, if he does go to college he already knows what the main factors will be in his decision.

“If I do stay in college I want a winning culture,” he said. “My ultimate goal is to win a national championship so I want to go to a school that gives me that opportunity. I know it comes with hard work but I want to be around that winning environment. Fan base will also be a key factor along with my relationship with the coach and building chemistry with the guys. I want to be around a group of guys who love the game of basketball.”

image.thumb.png.3031e2e83f0880559cedefc93a467e23.png

image.thumb.png.bb3ed7cdcae09e55566816bfb2112173.png

5 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

So let me see if I have this right.  Brown wasn't signing with Texas under any circumstance if Shaka was fired last year, but he wasn't staying under any circumstance if Shaka was retained this year? 

It’s almost like actually being “coached” by Shaka changed his mind. Mind boggling concept I know. 

• Haha 2

(Gerry Hamilton) IT Hoops: What is next for the Texas roster, top prospects reaching out to Texas

Spoiler

Chris Beard and staff continue to work toward putting together a roster that could be ranked among the top 10 teams in the nation headed into the 2021-22 season.

Last week, there was a run of good news and addition to the roster with forward Timmy Allen (Utah), combo guard Devin Askew (Kentucky), power forward Christian Bishop (Creighton) announcing plants to transfer to Texas, and guard Andrew Jones announcing his return for one more season.

Texas suddenly has 295 high-major starts, and over 440 games of high-major basketball experience on next years roster, but there is more work to be done. The Longhorns ideal want to add a point or another combo guard, and two bigs with one being a rim protector that isn’t necessarily a big minute player, but impacts the game for short stretches.

On the recruiting front in 2022 and 2023, things could not be going better for Beard and staff.

Current roster high-major experience:
CG Devin Askew, 6-3 (6.5 points, 2.5 rebounds, 2.9 assists in 2020-21)
-25 games played, including 20 starts

SG Andrew Jones, 6-4 (14.6 points, 4.5 rebounds, 2.3 assists in 2020-21)
-102 games played, including 68 starts

SG Jase Febres, 6-5 (5.2 points, 1.5 rebounds in 2020-21)
-104 games played, including 62 starts

G/W Jaylon Tyson, 6-6

F Brock Cunningham, 6-5 (1.6 points, 3.1 rebounds in 2020-21)
-41 games played with one start

F Timmy Allen, 6-6 (17.2 points, 6.4 rebounds, 3.9 assists in 2020-21)
-85 games played, including 82 starts

PF Christian Bishop, 6-7 (11.0 points, 6.4 rebounds, 1.1 blocks in 2020-21)
-90 games played, including 62 starts

Possible to return:
CG Courtney Ramey, 6-3 (12.2 points, 3.2 rebounds, 3.9 assists in 2020-21)

PF Jericho Sims, 6-10 (9.2 points, 7.2 rebounds in 2020-21)

Not as likely to return:
PG Matt Coleman, 6-2 (13.2 points, 3.5 rebounds, 3.9 assists in 2020-21)

PF Greg Brown, 6-9 (9.3 points, 6.2 rebounds in 2020-21)

Key transfers still in play:
PG De’Vion Harmon, 6-1, Oklahoma (12.9 points, 3.4 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 1.1 steals in 2020-21)

CG Jacob Young, 6-2, Rutgers (14.1 points, 1.9 rebounds, 3.2 assists in 2020-21)

PF Bryson Williams, 6-8, UTEP (15.1 points, 7.4 rebounds in 2020-21)

C Nick Ongenda, 6-11, DePaul (5.7 points, 4.0 rebounds, 1.5 blocks in 2020-21).

2022 and 2023 recruiting on fire:
In speaking with a number of sources, the Texas staff is fielding calls from a number of highly ranked out of state prospects in the 2022 and 2023 class. Just to be clear, IT was told that over a dozen high ranked prospects in the two classes have reached out to a member of the Texas staff, or one a person in their circles have reached out.

It’s all positions too. As one source said, “the Texas basketball brand is back”.

IT was told by a source very close to a top 5 level 2023 prospect that a commitment is not far off if the Longhorns are ready to take a 2023 verbal.

For those fans hunting big men in the 2022 class, the Longhorns staff is receiving positive feedback from a number of top national prospects which includes Kijani Wright (Windward School/Los Angeles), Felix Okpara (Hamilton Heights/Chattanooga, TN) and Kel’el Ware (North Little Rock).

• Hook 'Em 8

9 hours ago, Machinator said:

IT was told by a source very close to a top 5 level 2023 prospect that a commitment is not far off if the Longhorns are ready to take a 2023 verbal.

The only offer on 247 (idk how accurate they are for basketball offers) is Jeremiah Johnson

https://247sports.com/player/jeremiah-johnson-46103338/

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The only offer on 247 (idk how accurate they are for basketball offers) is Jeremiah Johnson

https://247sports.com/player/jeremiah-johnson-46103338/

They are probably talking about this guy: https://247sports.com/Player/Kwame-Evans-Jr-46101949/

I think that there's some Durant connection, even though Durant is from the DC area and this guy is from Baltimore, someone posted something connecting the two within the last 36 hours and #6 is "Top 5 Level" without being "Top 5".

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

They are probably talking about this guy: https://247sports.com/Player/Kwame-Evans-Jr-46101949/

I think that there's some Durant connection, even though Durant is from the DC area and this guy is from Baltimore, someone posted something connecting the two within the last 36 hours and #6 is "Top 5 Level" without being "Top 5".

Baltimore is in the DC area.

47 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

He’s on Durant’s AAU team.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

He plays for the AAU team that KD sponsors.