Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

This is suddenly a lot more exciting now that we have a coach who knows how to actually use good players.

I remember when Bamba committed, my first/only reaction was, "Why the fuck does he want to come here?  Shaka will have no clue what to do with him."

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

24 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

This is suddenly a lot more exciting now that we have a coach who knows how to actually use good players.

I remember when literally anyone committed, my first/only reaction was, "Why the fuck does he want to come here?  Shaka will have no clue what to do with him."

FIFY. I honestly felt bad for guys when they committed to Texas the last few years because I knew they were hurting their chances at having a successful career. This coaching change is such a huge breath of fresh air. It’d be like if we had replaced Charlie with a good football coach who wasn’t a total fucking moronic meathead.

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

Texas continues to receive plenty of positive feed back from the class of 2022 prospects. The Longhorns are leading for Keyonte George (iSchool Entrepreneurial Academy), and IT continues to hear positives on Arterio Morris (Dallas Kimball), but the staff is also quietly doing very well with 6-foot-11 versatile big man Felix Okpara (Hamilton Heights/TN). Texas was in the top 5 prior to Shaka Smart leaving, and has only helped itself under the new staff with Jerrance Howard taking over the recruitment.

In speaking with a source close to Okpara, Texas is battling Vanderbilt, Tennessee, and Ole Miss the most right now. Florida was very high on the list with a couple of former Hamilton Heights players having signed with the Gators in recent years, but Florida has slipped per the source.

Okpara is a prospect (composite top-50 player) that does a lot of research on his own, and can reel off the Texas bigs in the NBA and how they did at Texas. The recent bigs to be drafted in the first round from Texas under Smart have Okpara's attention. There have been some questions Okpara potentially reclassifying to 2021, but that does not appear to be happening.

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, cafe society said:

The Grayson Allen is strong in McClung.

If McClung had half of Allen's talent, I would hate rooting for him but would enjoy the wins. McClung is a streak scorer who disappears a lot. Allen was averaging McClung's points while sharing the floor with 3 NBA players. But yeah, they are both assholes who you don't want to root for. McClung just doesn't make up for it as much.

Gerry

Spoiler

2022 C Felix Okpara (Hamilton Heights/TN) is in Dallas this weekend for an AAU tournament at Drive Nation.

According to the MOKAN elite coaching staff, the 6-11 versatile big man made a student visits to Texas and Baylor this week.

Okpara and his host family in the states spent parts of two days touring Austin and the University of Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't consider Jacob Young a fall back option. 

He averaged 14.1 points and 30 minutes a game on a team that was one or two plays away from making a Sweet 16. I'm sure Texas would take him right now if he wanted to commit. 

Also, I don't think Jacob Young is worried about minutes at Texas. The leader in the clubhouse is probably Houston a team that made the final 4 last season. 

Edited by texasstrong12

George looks like a young Bradley Beal, and Arterio Morris looks like a young Russell Westbrook.  Let’s recreate the Wizards backcourt here, except you know, without all the losing.

Yeah, I don’t think we’ll want to model ourselves after a team that specializes in getting bounced in the first round. We’re already pretty good at that.

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Yeah, I don’t think we’ll want to model ourselves after a team that specializes in getting bounced in the first round. We’re already pretty good at that.

In fairness, under Shaka we didn't make the tourney all the time so didn't have an opportunity to lose.   

6 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The Wizards have lost in the 1st round of the playoffs a grand total of one time in the last twelve seasons. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Machinator said:

Aren't nearly all AAU kids "Professionals"?

5 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Alaska to Hawaii isn’t very far on the map at least. 

5 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Nonstop flight is 6 hours and 10 minutes.

TIME ZONE map:

Utqiagvik, Alaska: GMT -9 (during the basketball season) & GMT -8 (during the basketball offseason)

Honoluly, Hawaii: GMT -10

So their home games will be one hour later on the TV / computer in his parents' home.

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

If I had to rank the guard choices it would be Jones, Wheeler, and then Jacob Young. 

But I think Texas would take any of those guys if they wanted to commit.  

Yeah, similar order.  But it goes Jones/Wheeler and then further down would be Young (or not at all if Ramey comes back). 

Jones - 19.3 ppg, 2.9 apg, 7.2 rpg, 2.8 spg, 37% from three, 86% FT
Wheeler - 14 ppg, 7.4 apg, 3.8 prg, 1.7 spg, 22.5% from three, 74% FT

Young - 14.1 ppg, 3.4 apg, 1.9 rpg, 1.7 spg, 37% from three, 73% FT

Jones is a better rebounder, gets steals and hits his FT.  I think Beard would love it.  Wheeler has the gaudy assist numbers, but Jones + Askew would be just fine.   Jones/Young are the same shooting threes and wayyyyy ahead of Wheeler. 

Edited by Js1

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, similar order.  But it goes Jones/Wheeler and then further down would be Young (or not at all if Ramey comes back). 

Jones - 19.3 ppg, 2.9 apg, 7.2 rpg, 2.8 spg, 37% from three, 86% FT
Wheeler - 14 ppg, 7.4 apg, 3.8 prg, 1.7 spg, 22.5% from three, 74% FT

Young - 14.1 ppg, 3.4 apg, 1.9 rpg, 1.7 spg, 37% from three, 73% FT

Jones is a better rebounder, gets steals and hits his FT.  I think Beard would love it.  Wheeler has the gaudy assist numbers, but Jones + Askew would be just fine.   Jones/Young are the same shooting threes and wayyyyy ahead of Wheeler. 

I haven’t watched Wheeler play so I don’t have much of an opinion on him, but his high TOs and poor shooting seem to negate the high assist numbers. His stats remind of late career Rondo. 

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I haven’t watched Wheeler play so I don’t have much of an opinion on him, but his high TOs and poor shooting seem to negate the high assist numbers. His stats remind of late career Rondo. 

I'm sure Beard would take him if he says yes, but man do I want Jones really bad.  He rebounds, he hits his FT and he gets steals.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Jones and Wheeler have some big programs after them. 

I don't think you can really be picky if one wants to commit. Better to get one than miss on both. 

Also, I'm sure there are going to be other names that pop up in the portal. So not sure how that impacts how you play this. 

Edited by texasstrong12

11 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Jones and Wheeler have some big programs after them. 

I don't think you can really be picky if one wants to commit. Better to get one than miss on both. 

Also, I'm sure there are going to be other names that pop up in the portal. So not sure how that impacts how you play this. 

I think Beard agrees with the first point (take who wants to come).  I'm fine with either, but i really just like Jones' stats better, but do see what Wheeler was doing in the SEC versus at Coastal Carolina, who didn't play a single P5 opponent. 

As for who might be available later, it's hard to say.  I think you go with what is there now, and if someone comes along later, you figure it out.  I know players have until July 1, but Beard can't wait. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This guy has literally become a fucking caricature of a troll. It's bizarre. 

BWG hates Beard so any type of rational discussion with him about basketball is going to be a complete waste of time as long as Beard is here. 

As someone already said, BWG has an article ready to go after the first loss about "Beard not being the right guy for Texas."

Edited by texasstrong12

IT

Spoiler

Inside Texas caught up with 2022 big man Felix Okpara (Hamilton Heights/TN) at the Drive Nation EYBL AAU event in Irving on Friday.

The 6-foot-11 rapidly developing center was on campus in Austin with his family for parts of two days Wednesday and Thursday.

“I went with my family to see Baylor and Texas. I love Texas. I love everything about Texas. The atmosphere. The coaching staff. I felt the love from Texas when Shaka was there, and the new staff is the same,” said Okpara.

While Beard and some of the staff are brand new to Okpara, one Texas assistant was already recruiting Okpara before arriving in Austin.

“I talk to Jerrance Howard. He told me he likes my game since he was at Kansas. And that they love me at Texas.”

Okpara plans to make official visits in June when the dead period is lifted.

“For sure. I’m going to make official visits. Texas for sure. And Ole Miss and Tennessee,”

When it comes to what Okpara is looking for in a program, it’s simple - player development.

“I’m looking at past players that have gone there, done well and go to the league. The coaching staff, and how they develop players. Somewhere that feels like home. I want to study business.”

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

If I had to rank the guard choices it would be Jones, Wheeler, and then Jacob Young. 

But I think Texas would take any of those guys if they wanted to commit.  

What would your ranking be if Coleman were included in that list?

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Ahead of all 3. 

Coleman is a very good college guard. I really want see him with Beard to just see what his ceiling is with a different coach. 

Well with the Kur Kuath (OU transfer C) news that he's going to Marquette, I wouldn't be surprised if Coleman transferred there as well for 1 more year with Shaka.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Herminator said:

Well with the Kur Kuath (OU transfer C) news that he's going to Marquette, I wouldn't be surprised if Coleman transferred there as well for 1 more year with Shaka.  

I'm not sure about that. Seems like Coleman is either going pro or staying at Texas. 

Coleman isn't even in the portal but I guess that could change.