Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

26 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So pretty much every legit player to hit the portal has mentioned Texas as showing interest at this point... almost like Shaka fucked off this cycle and there was absolute shit talent coming back...

And the amazing part is that all of these kids all want to come play for Beard...

It wasn't shit talent, it was talent that was never developed properly in a healthy program. Beard being in the conference had played against some of those guys, so he had a good idea of the talent on hand, and which guys he pursued to come back for another season. He was fine with Williams, Hepa, and Hamm all leaving.

20 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I need you to remember the style of basketball Beard plays. We'll win games, but this ain't Zaga putting teams to the fucking sword.

Correct, but winning cures a lot of things. Kids want to see excitement, and winning is one of those things. Now we just need to get the Erwin packed.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Coaches are balancing incoming transfers expected time on campus with what's going to be a monster 2022 class. 

Yep. Right now Askew, Tatum, and Cunningham are the only likely returning players for the 2022 team of the players currently on the team. That should change depending on how Beard fills out the rest of his roster through the portal. A couple of the bigs he is chasing have 2-3 years remaining. I think all the guards at this point would likely be one and done type transfers.

51 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Winning is fun.

Yep

58 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I need you to remember the style of basketball Beard plays. We'll win games, but this ain't Zaga putting crappy WCC teams to the fucking sword.

Going to the transfer was obviously an absolute need for this year but my god this is just wild. He got a top ten team out of the portal and most of these guys are multiple year guys, not the one and done shit Shaka was chasing. Current Studs that will continue to develop and continue to win while bringing in monster recruiting classes behind them which leads to more winning. That equates to a packed new arena, more focus, more money, more everything. The program has done an absolute 180 in a month...

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yep. Right now Askew, Tatum, and Cunningham are the only likely returning players for the 2022 team of the players currently on the team. That should change depending on how Beard fills out the rest of his roster through the portal. A couple of the bigs he is chasing have 2-3 years remaining. I think all the guards at this point would likely be one and done type transfers.

Bishop has multiple years I believe and then we will see what happens with Disu. I’m expecting Beard and Co. to land multiple “5 star” guards in the 2022 class. 

23 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Bishop has multiple years I believe and then we will see what happens with Disu. I’m expecting Beard and Co. to land multiple “5 star” guards in the 2022 class. 

Sure. But what about the 2021 season? Askew and Ramey to handle the ball? No thank you.

EDIT: The way Beard hauls in these "5 star" guards is by having a badass 2021 run. It's recency bias, but it is what it is. 

Edited by UDontKnow

53 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Sure. But what about the 2021 season? Askew and Ramey to handle the ball? No thank you.

EDIT: The way Beard hauls in these "5 star" guards is by having a badass 2021 run. It's recency bias, but it is what it is. 

Devante Jones may end up a one year rental. Also no idea who will go into the portal when the semester ends 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

What's fucking hilarious is btg's butt buddy Shaka routinely played 8 guys last year, so a 9 guy rotation would be an improvement.

Beard only played about 7 this past year. (I believe.)

That may have been due to a talent cliff-like drop-off. 

"He's grabbing guards and wings" as if Disu and Bishop didn't both lead their teams in rebounding last year. We need one more front court body, but the fact that he's complaining about rebounding means it's less than a month into Beard's tenure and he's already running low on things to bitch about.

Edited by UnhappilyMarried

3 hours ago, Cashcar said:

Winning is always fun....Virginia packs the stands and Bennett plays at a tempo akin to the 1940s Minneapolis Lakers.

In all sincerity, good for UVA.  They're a team taylor made for boxscores, because I sure as hell don't want to watch them play.  

IT

Spoiler

HOOPS --- Kijani Wright, Windward School (Los Angeles) (2022):

One of the top 2022 hoops targets on the board dropped a top seven list on Tuesday. Five-star power forward Kijani Wright posted on Twitter the schools in contention are Texas, USC, Arkansas, Michigan State, Stanford, Kansas and Florida State. Longhorns associate head coach Rodney Terry has Texas right in this one through connections built up on the West Coast from his years as head coach at Fresno State.

Staying on the 2022 basketball recruiting theme, one source told IT on Monday that all the talk around Keyonte George is either going to Texas for one year, or going professional. George is playing at such a high level right now that he may well end up in contention for the No. 1 spot overall in the 2022 class.

Where it gets interesting for Texas in 2022 is Anthony Black and Arterio Morris.

Black, the 6-foot-7 combo guard out of Coppell, is the best friend of Keyonte George, and despite being a Baylor legacy, really likes the idea of playing at Texas. The recruitment of Morris is more than just basketball, which could give the Longhorns cause for pause.

At small forward, 6-foot-6 Terrance Arceneaux is expected to make his decision out of Texas, Houston and Baylor when that time comes.

IT shared the latest on 6-foot-11 big man Felix Okpara (Hamilton Heights/TN) over the weekend. If the Longhorns aren’t the outright favorite at this point, they are sitting at the top with Rick Barnes’ Tennessee Volunteers. Ole Miss is a third team mentioned a lot.

Texas does plan to have 2022 prospects on campus for official visits in June.

https://247sports.com/Article/Basketball-recruiting-Michigan-Texas-Tech-Memphis-Devante-Jones-164740661/

This definitely makes it sound like Ramey is returning and Coleman is gone. 

“They got three good guards and I can be that fourth guard so that can be a good fit. I like how they have an amazing fan base. I also like coach Beard being there. I spoke with him and got a good feel for him and what he got planned for me. They explained how I would be a more dominant ball handler and help create by making plays for myself and others. I would be creating for guys like Courtney Ramey and Andrew Jones. Sometimes I would move to the two and play alongside guys like Devin Askew. I haven't spoken to any of the guys on the team yet but I know that can be a good fit as well.”

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm not sure where his 2 point shots are coming from, but a 6'1" guard that has a career 57.2% inside the arc is pretty good at getting into the lane and finishing or has an elite midrange game.

I think he'd be perfect as Beard's lead guard, while breaking in Askew to be the guy in 2022.

Nick Harris

Spoiler

- Today, Coastal Carolina transfer guard Devante' Jones announced a top four of Texas, Texas Tech, Michigan and Memphis and said that he will be announcing his decision on Saturday. As of now, I don't expect Texas to win this battle as the guard room is starting to stack up in Austin with Devin Askew and Andrew Jones already on the roster and Courtney Ramey expected to join. If Jones does indeed decide to not attend Texas, look for the staff to put a full-court press on Georgia transfer Sahvir Wheeler. The Longhorns are still in search of a guard to add to the mix next season and Wheeler has already expressed interest in returning to his home state of Texas.

- The 2022 class is starting to shape up to be a huge class for Chris Beard and Co. as they sit in a prime position with just about every major target on their board. Today, Los Angeles (Calif.) Windward School five-star power forward Kijani Wright included Texas in his top seven. Texas has put an emphasis on recruiting the big fish prospects early on in the Beard regime and it looks to be paying off. Texas sits in the top group of that top seven with Wright and if they can pull him away from USC, the opportunities in the class are limitless with guys like Keyonte George, Anthony Black and Felix Okpara all looking at the Longhorns very closely.

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

That's even worse than not entering the portal. When does he make his final decision? Will he be willing to come back and accept a lesser role, should Texas fill out the guard rotation with his flirtation with the association. Beard isn't going to let Evans and Wheeler not come to Texas on the off chance Ramey returns to campus once his draft grade comes back.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

That's even worse than not entering the portal. When does he make his final decision? Will he be willing to come back and accept a lesser role, should Texas fill out the guard rotation with his flirtation with the association. Beard isn't going to let Evans and Wheeler not come to Texas on the off chance Ramey returns to campus once his draft grade comes back.

Sounds like he’s just planning on seeing what he needs to work on to get drafted next year. He’ll be here next season, no doubt. Beard is probably already counting him 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Ramey's instagram post says "I'm back."

He's clearly returning to Texas. Just getting feedback in the draft process like the other billion players that are doing the same thing. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

Ramey's instagram post says "I'm back."

He's clearly returning to Texas. Just getting feedback in the draft process like the other billion players that are doing the same thing. 

Ok, I thought he was going through the draft workouts, but not hiring an agent to retain his eligibility.

20 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This blowhard is still at it. 

He does this shit on the longhorn subreddit too. Except over there he says shit, people call him out and then he goes back and deletes his comments. If you wanna bitch and moan fine. Just say it with your chest. Let your tard flag fly. 

I don't get his hangup with Beard, and why he wanted Shaka. Is he the only one that refuses to see what we've all seen for the past 3-4 years. Like cmon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

He does this shit on the longhorn subreddit too. Except over there he says shit, people call him out and then he goes back and deletes his comments. If you wanna bitch and moan fine. Just say it with your chest. Let your tard flag fly. 

I don't get his hangup with Beard, and why he wanted Shaka. Is he the only one that refuses to see what we've all seen for the past 3-4 years. Like cmon. 

He's kinda become the basketball version of that idiot from bon...wescot something.  

Beard may fail.  Early returns and history suggest otherwise but ultimately if you're a fan of texas, why be a whiny cunt?  Maybe try approaching life with a little bit of optimism and enthusiasm?  What's the point of being a fan if your entire outlook is pessimistic?  It's not even like we fired a somewhat successful coach and replaced him with a spare.  Shaka Smart was terrible.  Why die on this hill?

Bwg seems like the kind of guy to bitch about taxes after winning the lottery...

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Gerry

Reveal hidden contents

Just had a person plugged into the AAU scene in the Houston area predict Sahvir Wheeler would end up at Texas. We shall see if that pans out.

This is likely Marcus Sloan. 

Also, Texas should hire Sloan. He has a ton of connections in Texas.