Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

7 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Or they never wanted him

Then why has Chris Beard zoomed with Williams multiple times? 

Coaches don't just randomly waste their time zooming with players if there isn't interest. I'm not sure where Williams is in the pecking order but the coaching staff isn't randomly playing grab ass with transfers on zoom. Just because Williams is maybe the 2nd to 4th option doesn't mean the staff "doesn't want him." Every year Texas football takes guys they were slow playing. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Then why has Chris Beard zoomed with Williams multiple times? 

Coaches don't just randomly waste their time zooming with players if there isn't interest. I'm not sure where Williams is in the pecking order but the coaching staff isn't playing grab ass with transfers on zoom. Just because Williams is maybe the 2nd to 4th option doesn't mean the staff "doesn't want him." Every year Texas football takes guys they were slow playing. 

Because good staffs know how to keep backup options warm in case all else fails.

8 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Because good staffs know how to keep backup options warm in case all else fails.

No doubt but that doesn't mean "Texas doesn't want Williams."

It means they have a pecking order and in this case it likely means they aren't going to take a 5 until there's resolution on Tre Mitchell. 

Every cycle Texas football slow plays a recruit and ends up taking said recruit after other guys higher on the board don't commit. I don't think it's a good assumption to think "Texas doesn't want Williams" because if they miss on Tre Mitchell guys like Williams/Brown are going to be the next guys in the mix. 

If they truly didn't want Williams they would have pulled a Mahorcic and not offered him with some excuse like "academics". Reading between the lines, they didn't want to offer Mahorcic because he was likely to commit as Texas was his best offer. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

You thought he was committing when he hit the portal. Maybe it’s time you admit you don’t really understand what’s happening here.

No I didn't unless I'm forgetting a specific post. I said there's a good chance Williams would follow Terry from UTEP if he was the top choice at the 5. 

Gerry Hamilton even included Williams as a "key transfer in play" and admitted the staff was essentially prioritizing him over the GoBros because of athletic limitations. Is Gerry Hamilton lying? I don't know where you've had this narrative of "Texas doesn't want him" when Gerry Hamilton flat out said Texas was recruiting him. 

I don't know where Williams is in the pecking order and maybe the interest has slowed down recently. But when Beard is zooming with him multiple times and Gerry Hamilton says "he's a key guy in play" that certainly seems to indicate there's interest. 

Edited by texasstrong12

One final time and I’ll move on from this, Texas prefers to play a certain style. Williams does not fit. Now, if they can’t find what they want to fit the desired style of play, you have to find another way. Enter Williams and his ability to face up and score. It’s not just about a “big” or a pecking order. If Beard misses on Brown and Mitchell that doesn’t mean they go all in on Williams. It likely means we wait to see who else hits the portal.

Williams means we’ve exhausted all options and will have to play a little differently than we had hoped to.

Edited by Revolution512

1 minute ago, Revolution512 said:

One final time and I’ll move on from this, Texas prefers to play a certain style. Williams does not fit. Now, if they can’t find what they want to fit the desired style of play, you have to find another way. Enter Williams and his ability to face up and score. It’s not just about a “big” or a pecking order. If Beard misses on Brown and Mitchell that doesn’t mean they go all in on Williams. It likely means we wait to see who else hits the portal.

Explain how Williams doesn't fit the style of play Texas wants? I think Williams is definitely a bit undersized to play the 5. 

Are you implying that Texas doesn't want a big that "can face up and score" as compared to a 5 that lives on the low block? If you are you haven't watched Tre Mitchell play at all. Mitchell scores almost all his points in transition, rolling to the basket in PnR, spotting up on the perimeter, or just taking his guy off the dribble in a face up game. Mitchell is rarely a low block scorer. 

I actually think Mitchell and Williams are very similar players. Mitchell is just the better player. 

27 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Williams means we’ve exhausted all options and will have to play a little differently than we had hoped to.

I have no clue what the other sites are saying as I'm only a subscriber to Orangebloods but the McComas update last week doesn't vibe with this at all. 

TS12 is being nit-picky as hell but the McComas update suggested the UTEP guy was one of the top choices for Texas. I'll see if I can locate the OB update from last week but Rodney Terry zoomed with that UTEP guy recently. Or it was one of the assistants that zoomed with him. 

30 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I have no clue what the other sites are saying as I'm only a subscriber to Orangebloods but the McComas update last week doesn't vibe with this at all. 

TS12 is being nit-picky as hell but the McComas update suggested the UTEP guy was one of the top choices for Texas. I'll see if I can locate the OB update from last week but Rodney Terry zoomed with that UTEP guy recently. Or it was one of the assistants that zoomed with him. 

That's fair lol. 

Regardless, I hope Texas lands Tre Mitchell because he's one of the top transfers and the better player. It's just odd to me to act like Texas has zero interest in Williams when the 9.95ers have been saying otherwise. 

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

That's fair lol. 

Regardless, I hope Texas lands Tre Mitchell because he's one of the top transfers and the better player. It's just odd to me to act like Texas has zero interest in Williams when the 9.95ers have been saying otherwise. 

1) Texas has interest in him.

2) Texas does not want him.

#1 & #2 are not mutually exclusive.

3) Texas will take him if it comes to that.

9 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Originally played for Oklahoma State. Has really good ORtg and DRtgHis PER is above average, he also has a great TS%, and averages a FT every 2 FG attempts. He'd be an ideal starting 5 with his career 3.9 DBPM and 13% block rate.

59n4ke.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

19 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Lol it's well known that Bergeron is shopping Mitchell around for an assistant spot on staff somewhere. 

I think he's also banging Mitchell's mom. 

The entire thing is gross but that's pretty much college basketball these days. 

Mitchell went into the portal before Bergeron was fired. If this was Bergeron's plan, he should have been fired.

Here's a Bryson Williams update from the UTEP side of things. 

"As we reported on Friday, sources told 600 ESPN El Paso there is a large belief that two-time All C-USA forward Bryson Williams will be exploring Power-5 options to leave as a graduate transfer. Some thought that Williams could end up staying in El Paso for his sixth year, especially since he has still been practicing with the team. Despite the team's initial push to keep their top playmaker, Williams will still be looking to move on to a school that will try to compete for a conference title and an NCAA appearance to try and boost his NBA draft stock. He earned offers from the likes of Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, USC, Arizona State, Washington, Washington State, Texas A&M, Arkansas and Vanderbilt. Of course, the Longhorns have to be a prime candidate to land Williams with the connection between him and former UTEP coach/current Texas assistant coach Rodney Terry.

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

CG Cason Wallace, Richardson (2022):

One of the top targets in the 2022 class for Chris Beard and staff is Richardson High combo guard Cason Wallace.

The 6-foot-3.5 prospect plays both ends of the floor as well as anyone in the state, and that has elevated him to being one of the top prospects nationally in the class.

June will be very busy for Wallace as he has an official visit planned to Tennessee June 4-6 and Arkansas June 25-27. Wallace told IT Tuesday morning that Baylor and Texas would also get June visits, but is unsure if they will be official or unofficial.

The school that sells Wallace best on getting him prepared to have the opportunity to go pro after one season will have a terrific chance to win out the recruitment. Tennessee is selling all the one-and-done prospects Rick Barnes has coached over the years, while Arkansas is selling NBA preparation playing for Eric Musselman.

I mean it wouldn't be shocking. IT (Gerry Hamilton) has been reporting for a couple weeks now that Sims likely wasn't returning. 

Based on the interest in all other bigs in the transfer portal it seems the staff knows Sims is probably gone. 

Edited by texasstrong12

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

But that he told no one.

Considering he allegedly changed his number and was working out in Arizona and not talking to the staff….not that surprising. He’s a different dude 

Edited by Js1

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

But that he told no one.

I think he definitely told the staff. People around Sims knew that he was likely going pro these last couple of weeks (see Gerry Hamilton). 

The staff knew or they wouldn't be going after all these bigs. 

If the staff didn't know they definitely had a good read that Sims probably wasn't coming back. 

Edited by texasstrong12

I think he definitely told the staff. People around Sims knew that he was likely going pro these last couple of weeks (see Gerry Hamilton). 
The staff knew or they wouldn't be going after all these bigs. 
If the staff didn't know they definitely had a good read that Sims probably wasn't coming back. 

Thanks, I had missed this.

so in theory how does this work?...... a guy wants to test the pro but not hire and agent.... but coaching staff sees a guy they like better in the portal..... they bring in transfer and tell the guy testing pro waters to go ahead... we have filled your spot..... IDK how this works!

Gerry

Spoiler

Rim protector still wanted
The Texas basketball staff feels really good about the current roster headed into the 2021-22 season. And they should with multiple players having been named to All-Conference teams in 2020-21, and the feeling that four to five players on the current roster will play professionally - whether it’s NBA, G-league or overseas. And the staff is extremely high on freshman SG/W Jaylon Tyson. He’s seen in that same light after some development because he can really shoot it at 6-foot-6. Texas knows they are an NCAA Tournament team right now with the current roster, but the goal continues to be the same … compete to be in the Final Four in year one. For that to happen, Texas will have to add another big. Ideally the Longhorns want a rim protector, but it will only be the right fit. Texas will not just take a big. The difficult decision would be deciding to take Dusan Mahorcic, as he would add value as a key depth piece in the front court with more offensive skill to add. That would protect against injury and depth concerns, but then it could become a numbers game if a rim protector big that the staff wants becomes available. There will be more players jump in the portal, and it’s the unknown that makes decisions difficult right now.

Texas has to decide who to pursue at guard in 2022
The one in-state guard in the 2022 basketball class that Texas knows they want is Keyonte George. After that, the staff faces difficult decision on who they will go all out in pursuing. Texas really likes CG Cason Wallace (Richardson High), CG Anthony Black (Coppell High) and PG Arterio Morris (iSchool). SG Brendan Hausen (Amarillo High) is liked, an d the staff is continuing to recruit CG Bryce Griggs (Hightower High). The staff will get the chance to in person evaluate the guards in late June and July, and that is going to be huge in the potential decision making process.

George and Black are best friends, as IT has pointed out. And Black is taking his game to another level now having left football in the review mirror. Wallace is seen as the type of player that is coveted in a program due to playing both ends at a high level, and being a true gym rat that is laser focused on training and development. Morris is a freaky talent, but isn’t a lock at this point to be the other guy the staff goes all in on.

• Hook 'Em 2

Gerry

Spoiler

Hoops to host big time big man in June

The Texas basketball staff will have a busy June hosting some of the nations top 2022 prospects on official and unofficial visits.

IT first reported that five-star Kijani Wright (Windward School/CA) would make an official visit to Texas June 11-13. Texas has a legit shot at the skilled 6-foot-9 power forward with Kansas, Arkansas, Stanford, Florida State and Michigan State also believed have a legit chance.

Now, IT is the first to report that soon to be five-star center Kel’el Ware (North Little Rock/AR) has an official visit scheduled to Texas June 20-22, which will follow unofficial visits to Arkansas (June 1) and Memphis (June 5-6). The 6-foot-11 skilled big man’s recruitment has blown up since his dominant performance at a recent AAU event in Dallas, including most recent offers from National Champion Baylor and Oregon. USC is another program in line for an official visit.

Five-star guard Keyonte George (iSchool Academy/TX) will also be on campus in June with the date still being worked out.

Other 2022 prospects expected to take in Texas in June are CG Anthony Black (Coppell/TX), CG Cason Wallace (Richardson/TX), PG Arterio Morris (iSchool Academy/TX) and F Terrance Arceneaux (Beaumont United/TX).

Center Felix Okpara (Hamilton Heights/TN) made a student visit last month, and is expected to return for an official visit in September.

The Texas staff is also recruiting G/W Emoni Bates (Ypsi Prep Academy/MI)), PF Yohan Traore (IMG Academy/FL), C Vince Iwuchukwu (La Lumiere School via San Antonio), SF/W Dariq Whitehead (Montverde Academy/FL), PG Jazian Gortman (Keenan High/SC0 and CG Bryce Griggs (Hightower High/TX), among others.

The Longhorns also continue to work to complete the 2021-22 roster, but is not in hurry to do so with more players expected to jump in the portal, while also evaluating international prospects.

• Hook 'Em 2