Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

I saw a tweet (and now I can't find it), of Kenneth Lofton, Jr. on campus with Jamaal Charles and Derrick Johnson. Lofton is from Port Arthur, as, of course, is Charles.

Potential transfer candidate? He was the CUSA Freshman of the Year last season.

https://247sports.com/Player/Kenneth-Lofton-Jr-46100187/high-school-249061/

https://latechsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/kenneth-lofton--jr-/8889

3 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

I saw a tweet (and now I can't find it), of Kenneth Lofton, Jr. on campus with Jamaal Charles and Derrick Johnson. Lofton is from Port Arthur, as, of course, is Charles.

Potential transfer candidate? He was the CUSA Freshman of the Year last season.

https://247sports.com/Player/Kenneth-Lofton-Jr-46100187/high-school-249061/

https://latechsports.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/kenneth-lofton--jr-/8889

(Gerry Hamilton) IT Hoops: Kijani Wright post visit, two visitors on the way to Austin, Anthony Black

Spoiler

Texas basketball is in the middle of an uber important month of recruiting, when looking at the 2021-22 season and the future of the program recruiting the 2022 class.

Over the weekend, Texas hosted five-star power forward Kijani Wright and family. The Windward School (Los Angeles) skilled forward made his way to Austin coming off an official visit to USC, and IT was told by a source on the West Coast that the Longhorns hit a grand slam on the visit.

Wright, who is 6-foot-8.5 with an 80-inch wingspan and a 18 shoe, is a true academic and athletic recruit with higher odds of being a two year player than a one year player. The future business major and family has Texas, Stanford and USC at the top of a list that also has included Arkansas, Michigan State, Florida State and Kansas. IT will be surprised if Wright’s decision doesn’t come from Texas, Stanford or USC, and an official visit to Stanford remains possible.

With Wright on a plane back home, the staff has turned their attention to the unofficial visit of 2022 power forward Yohan Traore (Prolific Prep, Ca … family lives in Mansfield, Tx). The 6-foot-9.5 skilled four-man with a face up game out to 22-feet is set to arrive in Austin around 3pm, and stay on campus for 3-4 hours. This is a big visit for Texas and Traore, as the staff has watched games online of the fast rising prospect, but has never met, seen or evaluated him in person. Traore will follow up the unofficial to Texas with an unofficial to TCU on Monday or Tuesday, and is likely to make an official visit to Tennessee in late August or early September.

After Traore heads back to D/FW tonight, the staff turns attention back to the 2021-22 team with a huge official visitor headed to Austin. UMass transfer Tre Mitchell is set to arrive in Austin tonight to make a two-day visit. The 6-foot-9 very skilled offensive player with three years of eligibility (two expected) is very likely to announce a decision between Florida State and Texas this week. Having already visited Florida State, this is a massive opportunity for Beard and staff. While Texas is already receiving top 15 way too early poll status headed into next season, winning out for Mitchell would take the Longhorns up into the top 10 pre-season polls, and more importantly add to the rosters versatility and provide a needed third big.

Mitchell came out of Woodstock Academy as a top 100 nationally ranked prospect, and more than lived up to the loft expectations as a freshman taking home Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Year honors.

After averaging 17.7 points, 7.2 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 1.0 blocked shots in 31 starts as a freshman, Mitchell took his game to another level in 13 games as a sophomore.

Mitchell was named Atlantic 10 All-Conference First Team as a sophomore after averaging 18.8 points, 7.2 rebounds, 2.2 assists, 1.5 blocked shots and 1.2 steals converting 51.9% from the field, 37.5% from three and 76.8% from the foul line.

Anthony Black update:
Anthony Black (Coppell High) had a very good visit to Austin mid-week. He was accompanied by his mother and father. The near 6-foot-7 combo guard with developing perimeter skills is set to make an official visit to Oklahoma State this week (mid-week), and Iowa State mid-week the following week. Gonzaga remains considered the biggest threat, and the Bulldogs staff is actively recruiting the son for former Baylor standout Terry Black. Gonzaga isn’t scheduling June official visits, so it remains to be seen if Black’s recruitment will go to August or September, when Gonzaga would likely schedule an OV for Black.

Nick Harris on Wright

Spoiler

The Texas basketball staff also had a huge visitor on campus this weekend as Los Angeles (Calif.) Windward School five-star power forward Kijani Wright took his second official visit to Austin after a trip to USC last week.

The weekend consisted of Texas laying out a potential plan for Wright at the university. His family is prioritizing academics, so the possibility of Wright playing more than one season at the college level is likely. Their presentation included information from the McCombs School of Business as well as a layout from the coaches on how they would plan to use him on the court. Both of those things impressed Wright and his family, and it has put Texas in a solid position moving forward.

Stanford and Kansas are also contenders for official visits after his trips to Texas and USC, but watch for the Longhorns to remain in the thick of this one until his commitment. We'll follow up on this one after the June visit season to see if Texas still sits high on the contender list, or if this is more of a post-visit high at this point.

9 hours ago, Atticus said:

80" wingspan is much lower than expected, but the guy has enough mobility and strength to balance that.

That's 6'8" and he's supposedly 6'8.5", so kind of average for his height, no?

That would be nuts for me, but I'm only 5'9", so...

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

That's 6'8" and he's supposedly 6'8.5", so kind of average for his height, no?

That would be nuts for me, but I'm only 5'9", so...

Usually you see 6'8 - 6'9 basketball prospects with something around a 7' wingspan.

Here are the average measurements from 2019's NBA draft combine

http://www.draftexpress.com/average-measurements-by-position/2019/NBA+Draft+Combine/all/60/

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

TS12 has been saying for weeks that it was obvious Texas wanted Mitchell. 

I can see why he had an issue with you. 

Revolution has a weird thing with Williams. 

For some reason he thinks Williams isn’t a fit in Beard’s system when he’s a very similar player as Tre Mitchell. Mitchell is the better player though.

IT Scoop:

Hoops:

Texas is in a very good spot for five-star power forward Kijani Wright (Windward School, CA). Inside Texas believes the Longhorns have pulled into the lead ahead of Stanford and USC. Wright, who plans to major in business, is likely to make an official visit to Stanford in June.

Speaking of prospects Texas currently leads for, 6-foot-3 elite point guard Arterio Morris (iSchool Academy, TX) will be arriving in Austin around 1:30pm today with his mother for his official visit. As of now, Texas is the only OV Morris has scheduled with a visit likely or possible to Oregon in late August or early September. The one-time Memphis also has Georgia, Florida and Kansas in the mix.

55 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

IT Scoop:

Hoops:

Texas is in a very good spot for five-star power forward Kijani Wright (Windward School, CA). Inside Texas believes the Longhorns have pulled into the lead ahead of Stanford and USC. Wright, who plans to major in business, is likely to make an official visit to Stanford in June.

Speaking of prospects Texas currently leads for, 6-foot-3 elite point guard Arterio Morris (iSchool Academy, TX) will be arriving in Austin around 1:30pm today with his mother for his official visit. As of now, Texas is the only OV Morris has scheduled with a visit likely or possible to Oregon in late August or early September. The one-time Memphis also has Georgia, Florida and Kansas in the mix.

I'll state this again for the 1,037th time, 🌲 doesn't have an UG business major. Obviously, it's a hell of a school and the degree (which he'll have to complete later on) carries extraordinary weight; but if he really wants business, then it'll be UT or USC.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Gerry on Keyonte George

Spoiler

1. Still plans to play college basketball. Thats what he truly wants to do for a year.

2. Baylor OV ends Wednesday morning.

3. Official visit schedule has changed ... IT hearing it's likely Kansas next week (mid-week), Oklahoma State the following week (mid-week) and Kentucky is trying to get him in for Big Blue Madness.

4. George will likely continue with the OV process after Baylor.

5. IT really likes where Texas is sitting prior to Baylor and remainder of OV's.

5 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

No idea why you posted 82 tweets from that account. @texasstrong12

Not sure either. Just noticed it posted that many tweets. 

Just copy and pasted the link like I normally do.  Maybe I accidentally embedded that guy's twitter account instead of the individual tweet. 

Maybe somebody with the ability to do it can go to that post and edit with just the individual tweet.

Edited by texasstrong12

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Holy shit.   I’m not sure how frontcourt minutes are going to get divvied up (I wouldn’t have expected Bishop or Disu to transfer and then be ok coming off the bench), but this could be a top 5 team next year.

I don't think it's that difficult to divide up minutes. 

Allen at the 3

Disu and Bishop split minutes at the 4. 

Mitchell gets most of the minutes at the 5 with Bishop playing the 5 when he's in foul trouble/needs a breather. 

8 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Holy shit.   I’m not sure how frontcourt minutes are going to get divvied up (I wouldn’t have expected Bishop or Disu to transfer and then be ok coming off the bench), but this could be a top 5 team next year.

Well, Beard is clearly a damn good salesmen and we are about to have a lottery pick who came off the bench for most of the year.