Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

You really think it is 10-15? I think this roster is better than that and I'm a pessimist. Last year in March, Texas (19-7, 11-6 Big 12) was ranked #9 and was the No. 3 seed in the NCAA East Region before we got our asses handed to us by Abilene Christian who might not have had a single player good enough to start at Texas. This roster seems better than last year's at most positions.

I donā€™t love the guards and last years team played a lot of minutes together. Are we better off with Beard? Exponentially.Ā Are we more talented? Not really. Kai Jones and Greg Brown are athletic freaks. We had a very good senior PG. Ā 

Beard is here because Texas can attract that type of talent. Iā€™ve said it multiple times, they will put together a crazy roster in the coming years. I have an ā€œinā€ on the staff. Obviously a few others do as well. This is just the beginning.
Ā 

Ā 

4 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

I donā€™t love the guards and last years team played a lot of minutes together. Are we better off with Beard? Exponentially.Ā Are we more talented? Not really. Kai Jones and Greg Brown are athletic freaks. We had a very good senior PG. Ā 

Beard is here because Texas can attract that type of talent. Iā€™ve said it multiple times, they will put together a crazy roster in the coming years. I have an ā€œinā€ on the staff. Obviously a few others do as well. This is just the beginning.
Ā 

Ā 

I closed the tab while I was typing last time so I'll keep it brief. Disu and Mitchell next year are better than Greg Brown was as a freshman last year. They have proven themselves at the D1 level. Greg Brown was all potential. And then Bishop will play heavy minutes coming off the bench.

Coleman was better than Ramey and Coleman was better than freshman Askew. Askew was slightly higher rated than Coleman coming out of high school and is bigger. He is unproven talent though similar to Greg Brown but at a different position. Marcus Carr is probably better than Coleman, Ramey, and Askew.

Beard is better than Shaka.

Then as a team, we will spread the ball around better and space the floor much better. Everyone on the team can shoot. Imagine a team where, when the player takes a 3 point shot, it is open and in rhythm. The shot isn't with someone in their face with 1 second on the shot clock. And, the ball is more likely to go in than bounce off the side of the backboard.

Then realize that we have more depth at every position than last year.

Point is that last year's team was ranked #9 and was a 3 seed and this year's team is better than that. I don't even think that it is an argument - Would you or anyone else on this board really take last year's team coached by Shaka against this year's team coached by Beard?

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

I closed the tab while I was typing last time so I'll keep it brief. Disu and Mitchell next year are better than Greg Brown was as a freshman last year. They have proven themselves at the D1 level. Greg Brown was all potential. And then Bishop will play heavy minutes coming off the bench.

Coleman was better than Ramey and Coleman was better than freshman Askew. Askew was slightly higher rated than Coleman coming out of high school and is bigger. He is unproven talent though similar to Greg Brown but at a different position. Marcus Carr is probably better than Coleman, Ramey, and Askew.

Beard is better than Shaka.

Then as a team, we will spread the ball around better and space the floor much better. Everyone on the team can shoot. Imagine a team where, when the player takes a 3 point shot, it is open and in rhythm. The shot isn't with someone in their face with 1 second on the shot clock. And, the ball is more likely to go in than bounce off the side of the backboard.

Then realize that we have more depth at every position than last year.

Point is that last year's team was ranked #9 and was a 3 seed and this year's team is better than that. I don't even think that it is an argument - Would you or anyone else on this board really take last year's team coached by Shaka against this year's team coached by Beard?

Thankfully next years team will only shoot uncontested threes that nearly always go in. And we can already put Carr in the calculator. Plus, we know these guys will all learn the scheme and how to play together in just a few short months.Ā 

3 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Thankfully next years team will only shoot uncontested threes that nearly always go in. And we can already put Carr in the calculator. Plus, we know these guys will all learn the scheme and how to play together in just a few short months.Ā 

Exactly and now we can actually look forward to and enjoy a game against Abilene Christian instead of trying to guess how Shaka will fuck it up and then watching the nightmare unfold.

Edited by Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 6/15/2021 at 7:18 PM, RichUT said:

That guy is a jackass, but you guys canā€™t help but keep giving him attention by pasting his worthless takes here. Canā€™t we just all agree to remove the oxygen from this asshats shitty little fire at this point?

you say this, and yet you continue to fuck with me out of nowhere after years of me never coming across you or engagingĀ you. and you literallyĀ don't even post on the hoops board. i'm there every singleĀ day having zero issuesĀ with 99% of the people there, and yet wheneverĀ someone pops in toĀ troll me or to make shitty comments about my mental illnessĀ you pos rep them.Ā so uh, follow your own advice or shut the fuck up.Ā 

i mean, how do you eve make sense of that? BWG has been actively talking shit to/acting holierĀ than thou towards people for years because they said mean things about Shaka, and has kept right on going by shitting on Beard and starting arguments with everyone who's happy with the moves he's making. all of this has been ongoing for years, is still currently happening,Ā and yet you don't want anyone to respond to his incessant twattery.Ā all the while you're harboring some insane grudgeĀ for me based on god-knows-what from god-knows-how-long-ago. seriously: shut the fuck up youĀ whiny ass hypocrite.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 4

20 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Sarcastic Sarcasm GIF

• Haha 1

IT

Spoiler

Keyonte George (iSchool Academy) has official visits to Texas and Baylor in the rearview mirror. Next up is Kansas June 21-23, followed by Oklahoma State June 28-20 to end the month. Kentucky wants George to visit for Big Blue Madness, which means this recruitment could potentially go on a while. In speaking with a pair of sources, they have been consistent throughout the process that George wouldnā€™t go far from home for his one year of college basketball. One source believes Kansas OV will blow him away due to ā€œhow the Kansas players liveā€ as players at Kansas at McCarthy Hall. In speaking with a second source, Georgeā€™s decision making will not come down to facilities, and all the bells and whistles. While the Moody Center and new facilities (Texas locker room and players lounge is outdated) that will be able to compete with the blue bloods is on the horizon, this decision will be about where George believes he can have a great one-year college experience culminating with making a deep tournament run, all the while building his brand. IT remains confident that Texas has a nice lead in this uber important recruitment headed into the Kansas OV.

Texas continues to be in a solid spot for Kijani Wright (Windward School, CA). The 6-foot-8.5 inch power forward has made official visits to USC and Texas, and has trips to Arkansas and Stanford planned. Scheduling the Stanford OV has been tougher with Cardinal head coach Jerod Haase being an assistant on the United States team in the FIBA U19 World Cup. Those duties have slowed the official visit process for Wright. Texas, Stanford, and USC continue to be the three schools IT believes Wrightā€™s decision will come from.

IT believes Texas has the lead for point guard Arterio Morris (iSchool Academy). The 6-foot-3 explosive point guard made an official visit June 14-16 with his mother, and the visit received great reviews. Morris and Chris Beard really hit it off, and this is a relationship that will be tough to beat for Kansas, Georgia, Oregon, or Florida. An OV to Kansas this month remains a possibility. An Oregon OV, should it happen, would likely be in August.

Power forward Yohan Traore (Prolific Prep, Ca ā€¦ family lives in Mansfield, TX) had a very successful four hour unofficial visit to Texas Sunday. The word from a source very close to Traore is that Texas will be in the top 2 if the Longhorns continue to push, and thus bring him back for an official visit. The other team expected to be in that top 2 is Tennessee, where the 6-foot-9 skilled four-man will officially visit in late August. TCU, Texas Tech and Creighton are also mentioned as being in the mix, but the list is expanding as more offers come in.

Ā 

13 hours ago, Cashcar said:

I think any rationalĀ person on this board holds a grudge towards you. Youā€™re a fucking moron. Go choke on a bag of dicks.Ā 

I donā€™t know how rational or rationale I am, but I do not hold a grudge against Derka. I find him highly entertaining and often productive.

Frankly, Iā€™ve got nothing against you either, but I find this string of posts from you last night fully retarded.Ā 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Not to let the thread get Derka'd even more than it already has... but the irony of Derka complaining about BWG's infatuation with the old coach while shitting on the new coach, is not lost on me.

i guess i'mĀ supposed to feel bad for insisting that future HoFer Rick Barnes is a better coach than future Enterprise Rent-A-Car senior sales associate Shaka Smart?Ā 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i guess i'mĀ supposed to feel bad for insisting that future HoFer Rick Barnes is a better coach than future Enterprise Rent-A-Car senior sales associate Shaka Smart?Ā 

No, you're just supposed to just "let it go", and ignore BWG or those that quote him.Ā 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Just got word that Jerrance Howard is out at Normal West HS checking out Kenwood Academy out of Chicago. Texas has an offer out to 2023 five-star JJ Taylor from Kenwood.

I thought we had a scandal on our hands, but it turns out that this staff is simply seeking to continue to kick everyones ass on the recruiting trail...carry on.

Denzel Washington Reaction GIF

Edited by RaysBoomBoomRoom
  • Hook 'Em 3

Gerry

Spoiler

On the recruiting front, IT continues to hear Texas is in a good spot with guard Keyonte George (iSchool Academy), PG Arterio Morris (iSchool Academy) and PF Kijani Wright (Windward School/Los Angeles). And is very much in the mix for CG Anthony Black (Coppell High). George is scheduled to visit Kansas June 20-22 followed by Oklahoma State June 27-29. Morris may make an official to Kansas this month. Wright has trips to Arkansas and Stanford on the schedule, while Black has Iowa State this week, and possibly Gonzaga in September.

Texas is set to host future five-star center Kelā€™El Ware (North Little Rock) June 20-22. Arkansas, USC, Memphis, Oregon, Kansas and a number of others are in the mix.

Chris Beard and Rodney Terry are in Phoenix evaluating at an AAU Tournament currently. The is the first weekend college staffs can get out and evaluate players in over a year. This is when the 2023 target board will begin coming into play. And could lead to a change or two in the 2022 board.

Ā 

9 hours ago, utfan87 said:

Just doesnā€™t have the same feel anymore. Duke offering used to mean games over, but howĀ quickly things change

This.Ā  The Duke name is still there, but these recruits are going to be sold a lot of promises by Scheyer/Coach KĀ with no track record (yet) to back it up for Scheyer.Ā Ā 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

This.Ā  The Duke name is still there, but these recruits are going to be sold a lot of promises by Scheyer/Coach KĀ with no track record (yet) to back it up for Scheyer.Ā Ā 

No matter the coach, they can still play their games in a ratty old field house in a shitty area of Durham.Ā 
Ā 

šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

ā€¦or play in a brand new, state of the art arena in Austin, Texas.Ā 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Getafix said:

Ā 

Ā 

Heā€™s killing it at the combine, which shouldnā€™t be a shock, we all knew he was a freak athlete.Ā 
Ā 

Iā€™ve said it all along, leavingĀ was the right decision for him, his athleticism is whatā€™s going putĀ him on an nba roster, and that athleticism is already about as high as it can possibly get.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Adidas and god awful basketball uniforms. Name a better duo.Ā 

Ā 

2 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

Their uniforms are horrible across all three revenue sports.

I am glad that the kids like the NIKE shit and that we are no longer a Reebok school, butā€¦

I donā€™t wear NIKE shoes and wonā€™t ever wear them in the future. My feet donā€™t like them/ their designers donā€™t like my feet. I am too old for a scholarship in any sport, so Iā€™m not the target market, but one of the most iconic uniforms in all of sports, the albiceleste of the Argentine national soccer team, is an adidas kit and it is outstanding. Actually Mount Olympus Hall of Fame level legendary.Ā 

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Something I will say is that at 3,269 followers, you have a long way to go to ā€œbuild your brandā€ and that ainā€™t gonna happen in the G-League . . .Ā 

. . . or at Kansas.

I had thought the same but then I heard on the radio that Jalen green has more than twice the followers of Jalen Suggs.Ā  Was surprised.

11 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I had thought the same but then I heard on the radio that Jalen green has more than twice the followers of Jalen Suggs.Ā  Was surprised.

I had to look up both of those guys to remind myself who they were. (I am almost never on the Twitter.)

Player personality & flash obviously haveĀ a lot to do with gaining followers.

G-League > eastern Washington stateĀ