Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

33 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This is great to bring back your:

Top two scorers (Allen and Carr)
Top two rebounders (Allen and Bishop)
Top two assist guys (Carr and Allen)
Two best shot blockers (Bishop and Disu)

Just need BWG to declare for the draft and we'd be all roses.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

On 4/16/2022 at 7:52 PM, Teryor said:

Ya Emoni Bates shouldn't be in the top 25 of this 

On 4/16/2022 at 8:38 PM, Lonestar88 said:

Bates’ stock has fallen off a cliff, he is not the #1 transfer. But Antoine Davis might be and he also just entered the portal.

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Basketball/TransferPortalTop/

https://www.on3.com/news/ranking-top-10-available-players-college-basketball-transfer-portal-emoni-bates-rocket-watts-shareef-oneal-andre-curbelo/

Bates is ranked #1 in the transfer portal according to247 and On3.

One disappointing season wasn't enough to neutralize his tantalizing potential. 

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Basketball/TransferPortalTop/

https://www.on3.com/news/ranking-top-10-available-players-college-basketball-transfer-portal-emoni-bates-rocket-watts-shareef-oneal-andre-curbelo/

Bates is ranked #1 in the transfer portal according to247 and On3.

One disappointing season wasn't enough to neutralize his tantalizing potential. 

Guess not.

Although 247 doesn’t even have Antoine Davis in its transfer database. And On3 doesn’t appear to have Davis or Tyrese Hunter in theirs. Those are the two I’d have the hardest time understanding being ranked below Bates.

3 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

He was salivating about Beard likely having to rebuild the roster since the moment the Purdue game ended. Poor guy 

Im sure he’s new view will be “why can’t he add much to the group that lost to Purdue?”

31 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Proverbial hat on the table, but boy would this be fun

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/4683751/tyrese-hunter

The fact that we even get a hat tells me the NIL we’re offering is competitive. That kid isn’t leaving Iowa State just to settle for chump change somewhere else.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

The fact that we even get a hat tells me the NIL we’re offering is competitive. That kid isn’t leaving Iowa State just to settle for chump change somewhere else.

Do we have any announced NIL programs in place for basketball? Or are we throwing money at them and calling it NIL, like aggy? 

Not judging. Just asking.

48 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Jerome tang is dirty af so he will start getting guys at k-state. 

What is dirty any more? I don’t even know what people mean when they use that term. 

It’s like the whole uproar with the A&M recruiting class for football. Does anyone think the numbers to sign top players is going to get less? Does anyone think the money pouring into college sports is going to get less? Wait until the power schools finally break away from the NCAA, take the jurisdiction and money distribution of the basketball tournament with them, and set up a 16 team playoff for football, with the top 60 or so schools competing.

At the end of the day advertisers are desperate for content that produces relatively big numbers while being compelling enough to sit through ads rather than fast forward through them. Nothing does that better consistently than live sports. 

There’s no measurement for NIL money. There’s no cap. There’s not a real limit on wealthy alumni who want their team to win championships, or at least be relevant. There’s no enforcement. There’s no regulatory body that’s going to step. Transferring is a streamlined process.

To me Bishop, Carr, and Allen returning is a good sign. Not that they were going to the NBA, but there had to be something for them. They could have earned a decent wage playing overseas. 

I think the general college fan base continues to be naive about where this is heading. We’re just now hitting the start of the hockey stick. 

Also, I see some people on here thinking football players are going to get paid more than basketball players. That’s simply not going to play out. Basketball has always been way more lucrative. Easier to identify early impact players (not infallible, but easier). Way easier for one player to make a significant impact. No helmet for endorsement ease. More games, therefore more exposure. A better developed system for monetizing players at an early age.

The payroll for athletes in the wealthiest major sports programs is going to quickly reach tens of millions or more annually. Ostensibly that’s going to be NIL money, but a lot of that is going to be alums. A&M has already created a new ceiling, but that’s just the start.

And yeah, no doubt Antoine Davis and whoever is handling him is going to get paid, I’d be surprised if it wasn’t K-State. Tang and KState are way more desperate to make a quick impact, and they’re well aware of what the NIL needs are given Nigel Pack transferring out for $800k over two years.

5 hours ago, Junior Bonner said:

Do we have any announced NIL programs in place for basketball? Or are we throwing money at them and calling it NIL, like aggy? 

Not judging. Just asking.

Pretty sure the Clark Field collective is for all sports including basketball. But honestly basketball teams probably won’t need as many team wide NIL deals as football (or any other sport). Guys can get paid plenty individually.

Smaller rosters, more visible players (no helmets) and basketball already has the built-in infrastructure to pay kids. It shouldn’t be too hard to just start funneling things through different NIL deals. 

6 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

What is dirty any more? I don’t even know what people mean when they use that term. 

It’s like the whole uproar with the A&M recruiting class for football. Does anyone think the numbers to sign top players is going to get less? Does anyone think the money pouring into college sports is going to get less? Wait until the power schools finally break away from the NCAA, take the jurisdiction and money distribution of the basketball tournament with them, and set up a 16 team playoff for football, with the top 60 or so schools competing.

At the end of the day advertisers are desperate for content that produces relatively big numbers while being compelling enough to sit through ads rather than fast forward through them. Nothing does that better consistently than live sports. 

There’s no measurement for NIL money. There’s no cap. There’s not a real limit on wealthy alumni who want their team to win championships, or at least be relevant. There’s no enforcement. There’s no regulatory body that’s going to step. Transferring is a streamlined process.

To me Bishop, Carr, and Allen returning is a good sign. Not that they were going to the NBA, but there had to be something for them. They could have earned a decent wage playing overseas. 

I think the general college fan base continues to be naive about where this is heading. We’re just now hitting the start of the hockey stick. 

Also, I see some people on here thinking football players are going to get paid more than basketball players. That’s simply not going to play out. Basketball has always been way more lucrative. Easier to identify early impact players (not infallible, but easier). Way easier for one player to make a significant impact. No helmet for endorsement ease. More games, therefore more exposure. A better developed system for monetizing players at an early age.

The payroll for athletes in the wealthiest major sports programs is going to quickly reach tens of millions or more annually. Ostensibly that’s going to be NIL money, but a lot of that is going to be alums. A&M has already created a new ceiling, but that’s just the start.

And yeah, no doubt Antoine Davis and whoever is handling him is going to get paid, I’d be surprised if it wasn’t K-State. Tang and KState are way more desperate to make a quick impact, and they’re well aware of what the NIL needs are given Nigel Pack transferring out for $800k over two years.

I loved your book and would be happy to leave you a 5 star review. 

Let me know when Amazon lists it on their site. 
👍

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Lonestar88 said:

Pretty sure the Clark Field collective is for all sports including basketball. But honestly basketball teams probably won’t need as many team wide NIL deals as football (or any other sport). Guys can get paid plenty individually.

Smaller rosters, more visible players (no helmets) and basketball already has the built-in infrastructure to pay kids. It shouldn’t be too hard to just start funneling things through different NIL deals. 

Ya CFC has alreaady done some basketball stuff, HWH will get there eventually

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Lonestar88 said:

May just be following Shaheen Holloway to Seton Hall. He’s undersized but this dude was Saint Peter’s best player during their Cinderella run.

I'd say Texas needs two more big men. Undersized isn't as much of an issue as being able to switch on defense.

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Kentucky mod was saying Scheireman is all about NIL. Whoever pays the most will get him. 

Also, Gibson from OU is in the portal. Texas should be all over that. 

That's an interesting proposition, and I go back and forth on whether or not I believe they should take a look. On one hand, he's not displacing Carr (or even Morris) at PG. Gibson has a career A:TO ratio under 1. He's also 6'1, and I'm not sure that Beard wants two very short guards on the court at the same time. However, Texas could certainly use his three-point and free throw percentages.

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 18.08.48.png

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

I understand that most of the talk about portal kids, but Texas is bringing in a 2022 HS kid for a visit. 6'6" wing Alex Anamekwe, former SMU commit. This would be a program guy, which Beard definitely needs because he's likely got only 2 scholarship guys returning in 2023 on the current roster.

https://247sports.com/player/alex-anamekwe-46116196/

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

I understand that most of the talk about portal kids, but Texas is bringing in a 2022 HS kid for a visit. 6'6" wing Alex Anamekwe, former SMU commit. This would be a program guy, which Beard definitely needs because he's likely got only 2 scholarship guys returning in 2023 on the current roster.

Also high school teammate of ‘23 5-star JaKobe Walter.

• Hook 'Em 1

Hahahaha! He said program guys. As if the transfer portal didn’t exist. 

I’m just busting your balls, because you’re not wrong, but the idea of recruiting a player as a “program guy” does feel to me a bit like wishful thinking in this day and age. 

22 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Hahahaha! He said program guys. As if the transfer portal didn’t exist. 

I’m just busting your balls, because you’re not wrong, but the idea of recruiting a player as a “program guy” does feel to me a bit like wishful thinking in this day and age. 

They still exist, KU had a complete team of them + one key portal transfer. It's why they won a championship, as that team wasn't uber talented.

They still exist, KU had a complete team of them + one key portal transfer. It's why they won a championship, as that team wasn't uber talented.

KU has had plenty of guys transfer out because they weren't getting minutes. The ones who stayed were the ones who were on the court for the most part. 

Part of the reason they weren't uber talented - aka one and dones and two and dones - is because they've had the NCAA investigation cloud over them for the past four years, and it impacted recruiting. Also, KU basketball stickiness is a little different than other places, because the basketball players are treated like gods by the community. 

What's amusing to me is some of the KU fans are decrying how many North Carolina players are returning versus how many KU players have chosen to leave for the NBA, because you're right. KU has had several guys who stuck around and it helped immensely in building their championship team. 

But mostly I was just making a joke. It wasn't meant seriously. I don't think anyone can be counted on as a program guy, but it doesn't mean they don't or can't exist.

9 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Shannon and McCullar from Tech both entering the portal is interesting.  Those are starters and big minute guys from a team that just had a really good year.  Something to keep in the back of your mind given the emerging Tech fan narrative of how much better and nicer Mark Adams is compared to Chris Beard.  

Niceness has to be the most overrated quality in a competent leader.

In fairness, Mark Adams did do a better job than Beard this past year by pretty much any measure, while inheriting a similar situation in terms of roster. We'll see how it plays out in the long run. If Shannon and McCullars do end up leaving, that will help change the narrative, for sure. I did see where Obanor is coming back for a super senior season, so it's not like their whole roster is bailing. I'll be interested in what their respective records are in the tournament 3 to 4 years from now.