Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

Sounds like there might be some academic issues with Mahorcic so unless something has drastically changed in the last few days I wouldn't expect it to be Texas. 

https://247sports.com/Article/Basketball-recruiting-Penn-StateTexas-Florida-BYU-Dusan-Mahorcic-165179298/

Texas: “Our relationship has been really good, Texas has been on my line since I entered the transfer portal but we're still going over some requirements for the school before they officially offer me. They should let us know in the next day or so what's going on with them. I spoke with coach Beard a couple of times, we had a couple of zooms and I have a good relationship with coach Jerrance Howard. I'm really excited about Texas and they're plan for me would be to play the five down there If I were to go there.”

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

596x397.3333333333333-789086803473.jpg

Heck yes- It’s 2021- Austin is a dynamically multicultural city! I could totally see Dusan strolling out of Home Slice, down to Amy’s for a scoop, then back to Aviator Nation for a pair of $150 sweat pants. (Yes, for reals. My oldest just “HAD to have them Dad!”🙄)

24 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Nice of the kid to do this, but the connection to o Georgetown or Duke would be a connection that would benefit him for the rest of his life.

Bummer that he had to choose one or the other, but nice for the family. 

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Nice of the kid to do this, but the connection to o Georgetown or Duke would be a connection that would benefit him for the rest of his life.

Bummer that he had to choose one or the other, but nice for the family. 

He thinks he's going to be a top 10 pick next year and that he gets to be coached by his dad. Ya I think he's dumb for not going somewhere that can actually boost his stock but he doesn't give a fuck about the school, his dads going to get canned as soon as he declares, all he cares about is the league. Also, the last time Georgetown had a draft pick was 2013 so it's not like they have any kind of recent history either of getting guys there.

23 minutes ago, Teryor said:

He thinks he's going to be a top 10 pick next year and that he gets to be coached by his dad. Ya I think he's dumb for not going somewhere that can actually boost his stock but he doesn't give a fuck about the school, his dads going to get canned as soon as he declares, all he cares about is the league. Also, the last time Georgetown had a draft pick was 2013 so it's not like they have any kind of recent history either of getting guys there.

this, in my opinion, is why it hurts to go to horizon league vs say a p5. means no matter how good you do it's not against top competition, you aren't maximizing your development during the time you are there, more access to basically everything vs where he ended up.

He will become the first top-10 recruit to sign with a mid-major program out of high school since Charles Bassey at Western Kentucky in 2018. When Baldwin plays his first game at UWM, he will be the highest-ranked player by 247's composite rankings to play at a mid-major as a freshman dating to the database's beginning in 2003.

not great history there.

from this article about him:

The turning point for Baldwin came in March when the Panthers reached the Horizon League tournament semifinals as the No. 8 seed. He watched as they erased a 24-point deficit over the last 6:26 of regulation to beat second-seeded Wright State in overtime. 

"There's two halves for a reason," Baldwin tweeted out with a shrugging emoji after the game.

this win brought them to 10-11 for the season. they turned around and lost their next game, ending the season.

The resolve the Panthers showed and their ability to rally around their coach, his father, impressed Baldwin. Milwaukee would not be just a school where he could play for his dad, Baldwin realized, but also where the team could compete at a high level. 

they were the 8 seed in the horizon league last year.

the prior year, they tied for 7th place (12-19 overall)

the year before that they finished in last place and went 9-22

they haven't been to the NCAA tournament since 2006.

"high level"?!!

i get it, go play for your Dad. good luck, but don't straight up lie lol

He’s a top 4 player in the country, as long as he doesn’t have a major injury, he’s probably going to be a first round pick. The NBA drafts on potential and he’s already shown plenty of that. School choice isn’t nearly as important for these one and dones as y’all like to pretend it is.

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It’s not important for getting drafted.   He really could be screwing himself on his first endorsement contracts, though.   He’d have a much better brand if he spends a year as the top guy at Duke than he would playing in the obscurity of the Horizon League.  His only hope would be to blow up in the tournament like Steph did at Davidson, but they seem like they might not even make the tournament even with him on the team. 

Not even Shaka could screw that up, right?

Edited by Bevo

10 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Western Kentucky didn’t make the tournament with Charles Bassey (top 10 recruit) and Rick Stansbury as the coach.   They were in a better conference (though still not good), but they also had a better program than UW-Milwaukee.    If the dad sucks as a coach, which it looks like he does, then it’s pretty easy to lose college basketball games even with a stud player.  That goes double if a part of him wants to make sure junior gets to showcase his talents for the league and you end up with him chucking shots nonstop like the kid in YMCA ball whose dad is the coach and has delusions of grandeur.

Sounds like junior may help dad keep his job.  Agree with the poster that said this could hurt his initial endorsement potential 

48 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Well the last big dad + son combo did give us this...

And Hunter was drafted in the 1st round of the NBA draft.

The last big dad + son combo (if you really mean 'big') was Doug McBuckets playing for his dad at Creighton, where he went on to win the Wooden and the Naismith awards.

48 minutes ago, texifornia said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Yohan-Traore-46103995/

"Prolific Prep." Seriously these "schools" feel like money laundering fronts.

https://www.prolificprep.org/

Have you read the Wikipedia entry on Prime Prep? 

The whole Charter School Voucher program, where anybody can start a private, for-profit school and receive tax dollars to operate it with close to zero oversight is of course rampant with fraud. 

All you need to do to rake in boatloads of cash is to have a 100-1 student to teacher ratio, zero requirements for attending class, and a few celebrity coaches for the big sports, and you are basically printing money. 

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

The Texas staff will add a "big" to the 2021-22 roster.

Two bigs the staff is recruiting currently are Jordan Brown (Arizona transfer) and Dusan Mahorcic (Illinois State transfer). The staff has Brown ahead of Mahorcic on the board, but it will be all about timing and whether or not the staff can get Brown to make a decision before Mahorcic.

Brown is a 6-foot-11 former top 25 ranked prospect out of Prolific Prep that was named the Pac-12 Sixth Man of the Year last season after averaging a little over nine points and 5.4 rebounds per game. While Brown isn’t a rim protector, there is a belief that adding Brown would make Texas a legit top 10 team next season.

13 hours ago, Hornlover said:

The whole Charter School Voucher program, where anybody can start a private, for-profit school and receive tax dollars to operate it with close to zero oversight is of course rampant with fraud. 

All you need to do to rake in boatloads of cash is to have a 100-1 student to teacher ratio, zero requirements for attending class, and a few celebrity coaches for the big sports, and you are basically printing money. 

so… 

you’re saying we should crowd source our own? 

This definitely should go in the Surly Joint Business Venture Thread. 

It would at least match the ‘legal brothel in the Caribbean’ proposal

Edited by Doc Reeves

Gerry

Spoiler

The Texas Longhorns already have a team that will be ranked among the top 15 in the country headed into the 2021-22 season, but this staff is aiming for the highest of goals.

Three of the top players remaining the transfer portal, all now have the Longhorns under serious contention.

Massachusetts big man Tre Mitchell released the six schools in contention for his signature. Texas, LSU, Illinois, Georgia, Florida State and Bryant made the cut and there is a feeling that the Longhorns have a legit shot here.

The same can be said for Remy Martin, as of today. The Texas staff is in full recruiting mode on both.

Texas also has serious interest in Arizona transfer big man Jordan Brown. Brown was a top 25 ranked prospect coming out of Prolific Prep in California in high school. The Pac-12 Sixth Man of the Year last season is a skilled offensive big with an expanding offensive game.

The Texas 2021-22 roster currently consists of nine players with Timmy Allen having been named All-Pac-Pac 12 First Team, Andrew Jones All-Big 12 Second Team and Courtney Ramey All-Big 12 Third Team a season ago.

15 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Gerry

Hide contents

The Texas Longhorns already have a team that will be ranked among the top 15 in the country headed into the 2021-22 season, but this staff is aiming for the highest of goals.

Three of the top players remaining the transfer portal, all now have the Longhorns under serious contention.

Massachusetts big man Tre Mitchell released the six schools in contention for his signature. Texas, LSU, Illinois, Georgia, Florida State and Bryant made the cut and there is a feeling that the Longhorns have a legit shot here.

The same can be said for Remy Martin, as of today. The Texas staff is in full recruiting mode on both.

Texas also has serious interest in Arizona transfer big man Jordan Brown. Brown was a top 25 ranked prospect coming out of Prolific Prep in California in high school. The Pac-12 Sixth Man of the Year last season is a skilled offensive big with an expanding offensive game.

The Texas 2021-22 roster currently consists of nine players with Timmy Allen having been named All-Pac-Pac 12 First Team, Andrew Jones All-Big 12 Second Team and Courtney Ramey All-Big 12 Third Team a season ago.

I think Remy Martin would be the most likely as we could acquire for $39.99.

• Haha 1

Texas has options for a big. 

Tre Mitchell, Jordan Brown, Bryson Williams, and outside shot Sims could return. 

I get the feeling the no offer to Mahorcic because of "academic issues" was more about Texas slow playing him until they knew what was happening with other targets. 

20 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Shark Tank Writing GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Tre Mitchell, Jordan Brown, Bryson Williams, and outside shot Sims could return. 

I get the feeling the no offer to Mahorcic because of "academic issues" was more about Texas slow playing him until they knew what was happening with other targets. 

I’d take any of those 4 or Mahorcic, honestly.  Any of them should elevate us into a top 10 roster 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I’d take any of those 4 or Mahorcic, honestly.  Any of them should elevate us into a top 10 roster 

Just the thought of Remy Martin and one of those bigs is incredible. 

I get it probably won't happen but Remy Martin and one of those bigs has to be one of the top 3 starting 5s in the country. 

PG-Remy Martin

SG-Andrew Jones

SF-Timmy Allen

PF-Disu or Bishop

Center-Tre Mitchell or Jordan Williams

I can't think of many starting 5s better than that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Another good big in the portal.

Originally played for Oklahoma State.

Has really good ORtg and DRtg.

His PER is above average, he also has a great TS%, and averages a FT every 2 FG attempts.

He'd be an ideal starting 5 with his career 3.9 DBPM and 13% block rate.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

If Texas wanted Williams he would’ve committed a long time ago

Just now, Hornlover said:

Isn't that the same thing? They don't reeeaaally want him, but they'll take him if nobody else bites.

Not really. 

Tre Mitchell is probably the best 5 in the portal. He's been in the portal since early March. Texas is likely engaging/keeping other guys warm until there's resolution on Mitchell.