Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Keep Austin Beard

Machinator

Wallace is legit 5 star that projects to stay 2+ years so he will be more beneficial to the program long term from a depth/talent perspective. Barnes and Shaka would have taken George and been happy with a 2nd round exit followed by a top 5 pick. This is the Baylor/Villanova/Gonzaga route that gets the top end talent that stays for multiple years and makes deep runs consistently. 

29 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Wallace is legit 5 star that projects to stay 2+ years so he will be more beneficial to the program long term from a depth/talent perspective. Barnes and Shaka would have taken George and been happy with a 2nd round exit followed by a top 5 pick. This is the Baylor/Villanova/Gonzaga route that gets the top end talent that stays for multiple years and makes deep runs consistently. 

Seriously now, could George have elevated a Shaka team to the second round? Must be MJ reborn. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Do we have any idea where he'll choose? Seems that this one is a bit of a mystery.

Per the Googs ... 

https://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/2021/08/kelel-ware-5-star-center-and-key-oregon-ducks-target-announcing-decision-monday.html

("Heading into the final days of Ware’s recruitment, Oregon is widely believed to have a slight edge in the battle for his services.

While Arkansas has an advantage as the in-state program, some feel it’s actually Texas that poses the biggest threat to the Ducks.")

https://www.bestofarkansassports.com/kelel-ware-arkansas-basketball-recruiting-prediction/

("The most likely landing destinations for Ware look to be Oregon, Texas or Arkansas. Though the big man has shown interest in Musselman and the Hogs, I would not be surprised to see Arkansas lose this race.

I think Ware ends up in Oregon, new home of former Arkansas basketball assistant coach Chris Crutchfield. However, the sports fan inside me says Arkansas is still in the running and has a more-than-solid chance of landing the raw, athletic big man from North Little Rock.")

("On Tuesday, Arkansas basketball reporter Kevin McPherson said on the Buzz 103.7 FM:

“I don’t think he’s going to Arkansas. I think there’s another destination for Kel’el Ware … I’ve heard for a while that potentially he’s a guy that wants to get out of the state to play.”

“… He hasn’t visited Texas, and I thought that may be Arkansas’s biggest competition, that visit was moved out to September. Where he has also visited, taken an official visit to, was Oregon.”

“So I’d keep an eye on the Ducks right now in that place for Kel’el Ware, but I just don’t think it’s going to be Arkansas.”

247Sports’ Eric Bossi also provided some useful insight on Kel’el Ware this week:

“During June, he made trips to Arkansas, Ole Miss and Oregon and just a week ago he told me that the one school that he for sure wanted to visit before making his decision is Texas. Illinois, Kansas, Memphis and many others are in the mix as well.”

“While there is no clear read on who the favorite may be, two programs are standing out to me based on what I have heard over the last 24 hours are Oregon and Texas.”

“The Ducks apparently did a really strong job with Ware during his official visit to Eugene and while Ware hasn’t yet made it to Texas, word is that Chris Beard and the Longhorns have made a strong push after Beard spent much of the final evaluation period locked in on Ware.”")

• Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

... I really don’t think Beard is going to want a one-and-done heavy roster, so he may purposefully limit his 5 star targets.   Some of the other new names being mentioned - like Brumbaugh and Traudt - feel like it’s half because they had good summers and half because they’d be multi year players.  

I choose to believe this.

We've seen what a roster tent-poled by one-and-dones has done in Austin. (Albeit* with completely different coaching.)

*This may be the first time that I've ever used "albeit" in written form. From pencil to pen to typewriter to computer, whether printed up or just posted on a message board. I think that this is the first time that I've ever used "albeit". Crazy that a recruiting forum is helping my vocabulary.

2 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I choose to believe this.

We've seen what a roster tent-poled by one-and-dones has done in Austin. (Albeit* with completely different coaching.)

*This may be the first time that I've ever used "albeit" in written form. From pencil to pen to typewriter to computer, whether printed up or just posted on a message board. I think that this is the first time that I've ever used "albeit". Crazy that a recruiting forum is helping my vocabulary.

Wow. A six letter word. Great job, little buddy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

don't know anything about the guy, but:

E3B52C76-93AA-4D53-8CDB-709EBE53F2DD.jpeg

We offered in July

https://247sports.com/player/rowan-brumbaugh-46113022/

Article

https://247sports.com/Article/Maryland-Texas-Kansas-Oregon-Northwestern-Miami-Rowan-Brumbaugh--169010782/

Texas: “I really like what coach Beard is all about. He's a straight basketball dude who will do anything to win. That's what I'm about and I love his pride in the game and the chip on his shoulder. He reminds me a lot like myself, I like him and their program. I watched Texas Tech last season and I loved how he takes pride in winning and how he plays guys who're going to help him win.”

• Hook 'Em 1

Gerry Hamilton

Staff member

1 minute ago

New

Add bookmark

It’s been addressed on hoops thread … Texas basketball is organizing a big former players weekend around the game.

Beard and staff giving their all in the Cason Wallace recruitment.

The game being our home opener in football. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Gerry Hamilton

Staff member

1 minute ago

New

Add bookmark

It’s been addressed on hoops thread … Texas basketball is organizing a big former players weekend around the game.

Beard and staff giving their all in the Cason Wallace recruitment.

The game being our home opener in football. 

It doesn't sound like a regular reunion but probably some younger hoopsters off for the rest of the NBA season or retired from the NBA.

48 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

It doesn't sound like a regular reunion but probably some younger hoopsters off for the rest of the NBA season or retired from the NBA.

Russell Westbrook | Meme Generator

The NBA is currently in off season. Summer league just finished and fall training camp starts September 28th.

Based on everything I've read, Cason Wallace is a highest bidder recruitment. The Kentucky mods have been hinting there really isn't a leader and the team that pays the most will get him. 

I don't know if that's a good or bad thing but I think it's a good thing based on the idea there really isn't a leader if Beard and company play the game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/24/2021 at 8:01 AM, Catdaddyhorn said:

I really love how Wallace's game fits with Beard's demanding style, but I don't understand passing up on a sure thing with Keyonte to go after a guy with such a low % chance of committing to us.   

Keyonte transferred to IMG. I'm going to bet that Keyonte still ends up being a huge pro risk instead of college. 

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Gerry says we are out on Brumbaugh and Hausen. Hood-Schifino choosing Indiana means Tennessee ramps up their pursuit of Wallace who OVs to Kentucky this weekend, Texas the next. Gerry still thinks it's UK or Texas. 

This recruitment will let everyone here know the lengths we are willing to go.

• Hook 'Em 1