Chris Beard inaugural staff

RaysBoomBoomRoom

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Rodney Terry is an option.

Yeah looks like Terry is experiencing the same level of success at UTEP as Ogden was at UTA. He may see the writing on the wall and jump ship before it sinks like Ogden did.  But unlike Ogden he has no previous experience with Beard that I know of. 

FCB on the staff

Spoiler

—Ulric Maligi, an assistant to Chris Beard at Texas Tech the past two seasons, will be joining Beard's staff at Texas in addition to former Longhorn player and assistant coach Chris Ogden, a source close to the situation told Horns247.

Beard isn't messing around when it comes to putting together a staff of top recruiting assistants.

Maligi, whose name is no longer on the Texas Tech coaching staff directory, was on the plane with Beard to Austin on Thursday. Maligi (pronounced Yur-rick Mal-uh-ghee) joined Beard's staff at Tech in 2019 with a reputation as an excellent recruiter after spending three seasons at Texas A&M under Billy Kennedy.

An Arlington, Texas, native, Maligi has strong recruiting ties in Dallas-Fort Worth and was credited with helping Beard land a 2020 recruiting class that included Jordan Brand All-American guard Micah Peavy of Duncanville as well as transfers Mac McClung of Georgetown and Marcus Santos-Silva of VCU.

Beard is also likely to bring Mark Adams, Beard's associate head coach at Tech, if Adams doesn't land the Tech head-coaching job, a source told Horns247. Beard is also expected to bring former Oklahoma State head coach Sean Sutton to Texas as an analyst/advisor after Sutton served as a player development advisor to Beard at Tech the past four years, a source told Horns247.

Other names under consideration by Beard as an assistant coach include Jerrance Howard of Kansas and Rodney Terry, a former Texas assistant coach under Rick Barnes who is now the head coach at UTEP, sources said.

Howard, considered a top recruiter, joined Bill Self's staff at Kansas in 2013 after serving one season on Larry Brown's staff at SMU. Howard has also been an assistant coach at his alma mater Illinois as well as an assistant for three-plus seasons under Billy Gillispie at Texas A&M and Kentucky.

Terry served as an assistant coach under Rick Barnes at Texas from 2002-11 before becoming the head coach at Fresno State (2011-18) and UTEP (2018 to present). Terry had a record of 126-108 (.538) in seven seasons at Fresno State and has a record of 37-48 (.435) in three seasons at UTEP.

At Texas, Terry helped recruit a number of top players, such as LaMarcus Aldridge, Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph and Avery Bradley.

Ogden, a member of Texas' 2003 Final Four team and former Longhorns' assistant under Rick Barnes, served on Beard's staff at Texas Tech before being named head coach at UT-Arlington.

Ogden was named the Sun Belt coach of the year after his first season at UT-Arlington in which UTA finished second in the Sun Belt with a 12-6 record. and went 44-47 In three seasons as head coach of the Mavericks, Ogden had a record of 44-47.

As an assistant to Beard at Texas Tech, Ogden was critical in the recruitment of star players Zhaire Smith and Jarrett Culver, who were critical in Beard's early success in Lubbock. Smith, a 6-foot-5 guard, helped Texas Tech reach the Elite Eight in 2018 in his one season at Tech before turning pro.

Culver, a 6-foot-6 guard, was a member of Tech's Elite Eight team in 2018 and a key leader on Tech's 2019 team that reached the national championship game, losing to Virginia in overtime, before turning pro. Culver is currently a member of the Minnesota Timberwolves, while Smith is on the roster of the Memphis Hustle in the NBA's G-League.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Laxtonto said:

The strength and conditioning coach for TT basketball is no longer on the TT website FYI... Assume what you will from that

Would we keep Andrea Hudy?  It was quite a coup pulling her from Kansas if I remember?

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Ulric definitely has connections. I’m meh on Ogden and Terry. There’s certainly better options but fuck it, let’s roll.

Rumors that Ogden might be coming in an off-court role.

Edited by Machinator

3 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

What’s the significance? Seems like Utep fans are happy but two D1 head coaches as assistants sounds great

Terry is a very good recruiter. 

He was Barnes rainmaker at Texas. I'm sure Derka can list all the players he recruited at Texas but it's an insane list. 

With Ulric and Terry there's no way recruiting can't be pretty damn good. But it's not like that's ever been a problem. 

Edited by texasstrong12

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Rumors that Ogden might be coming in an off-court role.

This seems likely. Why would Beard complete his staff before Mark Adams makes a decision or Tech makes a decision? 

Have I missed something on Adams?  

Edited by texasstrong12

Howard, considered a top recruiter, joined Bill Self's staff at Kansas in 2013 after serving one season on Larry Brown's staff at SMU. Howard has also been an assistant coach at his alma mater Illinois as well as an assistant for three-plus seasons under Billy Gillispie at Texas A&M and Kentucky.

This guy has been a top recruiter for BCG, Bill Self, and Larry Brown? And i was worried that we would hire someone dirty. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

What’s the significance? Seems like Utep fans are happy but two D1 head coaches as assistants sounds great

from his old texassports.com profile:

Rodney Terry recently completed his ninth season as an assistant coach at The University of Texas. In his first nine years in Austin, Terry has helped the Longhorns post a 232-80 (.744) record while making nine NCAA Tournament appearances. Texas has made four "Sweet 16" showings during his nine years, including a trip to the Final Four in 2003 and the "Elite Eight" in both 2006 and 2008.

The 232 wins mark the most number of victories in a nine-year period in school history. UT also has produced 20-win seasons in each of Terry's nine years.

During this stretch, a total of 10 McDonald's All-Americans have made their way to the UT campus (Brad Buckman, 2002; LaMarcus Aldridge, 2004; Daniel Gibson, 2004; Mike Williams, 2004; D.J. Augustin, 2006; Kevin Durant, 2006; Jai Lucas, 2007; Avery Bradley, 2009; Cory Joseph, 2010; Tristan Thompson, 2010). Terry also ran point on the recruitment of current UT signee Myck Kabongo, who recently competed in the 2011 McDonald's All-American Game.

Despite a class that numbered only two, the current UT freshman class of Joseph and Thompson was ranked as the No. 8 recruiting class in the country by ESPN. Texas' three-man freshman class in 2009 was ranked No. 3 nationally by Rivals.com and No. 4 by ESPNU. UT's seven-man freshman class in 2006 was tabbed the No. 3 recruiting class in the nation by both Rivals.com and Scout.com. Texas' five-man freshman class in 2004 featured three McDonald's All-Americans (Aldridge, Gibson and Williams) and was tabbed the No. 1 class in the nation by Clark Francis' Hoop Scoop.

7 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Terry is a very good recruiter. 

He was Barnes rainmaker at Texas. I'm sure Derka can list all the players he recruited at Texas but it's an insane list. 

With Ulric and Terry there's no way recruiting can't be pretty damn good. But it's not like that's ever been a problem. 

I thought of Springmann as more of the rainmaker. He was the key to Durant, Augustin, and Hamilton. Pretty sure he was the guy on Damion James, he kind of fell in our lap though.

Durant is pushing for him for obvious reasons, they are close. He kind of fell off the grid although he’s getting attention again after the ORU sweet 16 run and yet another solid recruit under his belt with Max Abmas.

(Gerry Hamilton) Chris Beard's staff: The latest (Saturday at 9:10am)

Spoiler

Chris Beard knocked the introductory press conference out of the park Friday, and now Beard is laser focused on putting together the best coaching and support staff in college basketball.

This will be a staff focused on recruiting the home state, coast to coast, and internationally, along with a focus on player development second to none.

IT takes a look at what is publicly known about the staff as of this morning.

Chris Ogden
Oden returns home after leaving his post as head coach at UT-Arlington. The 40-year old played at Texas from 1999-2003, which included being a team captain and a member of the 2003 Final Four team.

After working in student assistant and other various coaching and scouting roles for Texas from 2004 to 2007, he was elevated to assistant coach under Rick Barnes. He was an assistant at Texas from 2008-15, where he was key in the recruitments of Avery Bradley and Myles Turner, among others.

Ogden went to Tennessee with Barnes for the 2015-16 season, before returning to the Lone Star State to join Beard’s staff in Lubbock from 2016-18. At Texas Tech Ogden’s early evaluations of Zhaire Smith and Jarrett Culver were key in Texas Tech’s 2017 recruiting class. Ogden was also the Red Raiders assistant that made the trip to Italy to see Davide Moretti in person.

Ogden was named the head coach at UT-Arlington April 6, 2018. The Mavericks had a record of 44-47 in three seasons, including 31-24 in Sun Belt Conference play. Ten of UT-Arlington’s 47 losses in the last three season were to Gonzaga (twice), Arkansas (twice), Texas, Oregon, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Houston and Indiana.

Ogden was named the Sun Belt Coach of the Year in 2019.

Ulric Maligi
The 36-year old Maligi is considered one of the top young assistants and recruiters in college basketball. The Arlington Bowie graduate has been an assistant in the college ranks since 2006-07. He’s had stops at UT-Arlington, SFA, Houston, SMU, Texas A&M and Texas Tech before leaving the Red Raiders to join Beard at Texas. Maligi also spent one year with John Lucas as the National Scouting Director for John Lucas Enterprises.

Maligi has been key in recruiting some of the most talented players that signed with SMU and Texas A&M, including Emmanuel Mudiay, Shake Milton, Danuel House and Robert Williams.

Maligi’s connections in the state of Texas, specifically Dallas/Fort Worth, will be huge for Beard and the Longhorns.

Bob Donewald Jr.
IT can’t express enough how big of a hire Bob Donewald Jr. is for Beard. Donewald Jr., 53 years old, is considered one of the very best in player development in the college or pro game. Prior to joining Texas Tech in 2020, Donewald Jr. spent more than 20 years in college, the NBA, and internationally as a head coach and in player development.

Donewald Jr. was an assistant in the NBA for the Charlotte Hornets, New Orleans Hornets, and Cleveland Cavaliers, where his specialty was player development. Part of his player development job with the Cavaliers was working on a daily basis with LeBron James.

His international recruiting ties are also very key, as he has coached and worked in player development in the U.K., Russia, Ukraine, and China. He was Yao Ming’s choice to coach the Shanghai Sharks, which led to being the coach of the Chinese National Basketball Team.

• Hook 'Em 2

Some more notes from Gerry

Spoiler

As IT reported last night, things are trending positively for former Texas assistant and current UTEP head coach Rodney Terry to join the staff in Austin.

There is a lot of Mark Adams chatter, and he's obviously a very well respected coach that could end up the next HC at Texas Tech.

I can say in speaking with two different sources, Beard's must get coach from his staff at Texas tech was Bob Donewald Jr. His work in player development is huge in the plans at Texas for Beard.

Rodney Terry would have very strong ties to Houston.

Maligi and Ogden have strong ties all around the state, as does Beard.

A source told me last night there is better than 50-50% chance [Joe Golding is not] at ACU next year. That's all I know right now. And I wouldn't say this is a concrete source, but a solid one.

[On David Peavy joining the staff]:

Remains possible, in some capacity. Would likely take a while to play out.

Let me just say this too, Texas is showing it's absolutely serious about becoming a national power in hoops.

The assistant pool $$$ is even more than I initially heard early in the week. We are talking 600k, 750k and even close to a cool million for an assistant.

• Hook 'Em 2

It never made sense to me that Texas had all of this money, restricted its athletics to 20 varsity sports, claimed it was to be a top program in all of them, but not spend like the top programs do. 

I think department bloat is the answer, and maybe it’s changing?

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It never made sense to me that Texas had all of this money, restricted its athletics to 20 varsity sports, claimed it was to be a top program in all of them, but not spend like the top programs do. 

I think department bloat is the answer, and maybe it’s changing?

Yep. It was maddening to watch us not go hire the very best HCs and assistants when that’s one of the only ways to actually leverage our revenue advantage into actual wins. It’s good to see that CDC has changed that.

We’ll more than make up for that money if basketball and football are winning. 

• Hook 'Em 2

50 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yep. It was maddening to watch us not go hire the very best HCs and assistants when that’s one of the only ways to actually leverage our revenue advantage into actual wins. It’s good to see that CDC has changed that.

We’ll more than make up for that money if basketball and football are winning. 

I had pretty much decided that we, as a university, had no interest in building top tier programs. Oh we wanted to look like we were, but not actually put in the work necessary. The literal opposite of "we are the Joneses". Glad to see that's changing. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Spider2YBanana said:

Is this good? I honestly only follow big name teams and obviously my Horns. 

im with you but from what ive gathered hes a supeb recruiter but is not a X's and O's guy. Seems as though we are going full recruiting staff, mark Adams getting the tech job is kind of a blow

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Is this good? I honestly only follow big name teams and obviously my Horns. 

he was a really good and highly thought of assistant under Barnes. i'm happy to have him back, especially considering his familiarity with not only our campus and program, but with so many of our former players as well. he will be a very popular hire among the older NBA Horns. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

he was a really good and highly thought of assistant under Barnes. i'm happy to have him back, especially considering his familiarity with not only our campus and program, but with so many of our former players as well. he will be a very popular hire among the older NBA Horns. 

Will he be recruiting, and if so is he good at it?

13 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

im with you but from what ive gathered hes a supeb recruiter but is not a X's and O's guy. Seems as though we are going full recruiting staff, mark Adams getting the tech job is kind of a blow

Dunno, that Beard dude seems to know defense.

14 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Will he be recruiting, and if so is he good at it?

i really can't say what his main role will be under Beard, but I can say that he was thought of as a good recruiter during his time at Texas and that he was popular with his players. IIRC it was Terry and Springmann who were the recruiters, and Lanier and McDonald who were the X's and O's guys. I'm sure that Ulric Maligi will still be a primary recruiter, but it wouldn't surprise me if Terry was recruiting for us as well.  

• Like 1