Chris Beard inaugural staff

RaysBoomBoomRoom

I think it's a great move as well.  One of the "knocks" on Beard was supposedly maybe he doesn't fully understanding recruiting to a place like Texas, which is a different animal than Texas Tech.

Having 2 guys who were here under Barnes (Terry and Ogden) recruiting and managing these guys will be a big asset.  They understand recruiting big-time talent to Austin and how to manage and coach them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Hamilton on Terry

Spoiler

Rodney Terry, Associate Head Coach
The 53-year-old Terry returns to Texas after leading programs at Fresno State and UTEP since 2011. Terry won 163 games as a head coach, including three straight seasons of 20 wins or more at Fresno State, which included appearances in the NCAA Tournament and NIT. Prior to the last ten years as a head coach, the former Angleton High and St. Edwards point guard was an assistant at Baylor from 1996-98, UNC-Wilmington from 1998-2002 and Texas from 2002-11.

While at Texas, Terry was instrumental in the Longhorns recruiting success under Rick Barnes. Terry was the lead recruiter of Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph, Myck Kabongo, Dexter Pittman, Gary Johnson and Justin Mason.

Terry coached at the high school level before ascending to the college game. He was the head coach at Somerville and Angleton from 1993-96.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hamilton on Terry

Reveal hidden contents

Rodney Terry, Associate Head Coach
The 53-year-old Terry returns to Texas after leading programs at Fresno State and UTEP since 2011. Terry won 163 games as a head coach, including three straight seasons of 20 wins or more at Fresno State, which included appearances in the NCAA Tournament and NIT. Prior to the last ten years as a head coach, the former Angleton High and St. Edwards point guard was an assistant at Baylor from 1996-98, UNC-Wilmington from 1998-2002 and Texas from 2002-11.

While at Texas, Terry was instrumental in the Longhorns recruiting success under Rick Barnes. Terry was the lead recruiter of Tristan Thompson, Cory Joseph, Myck Kabongo, Dexter Pittman, Gary Johnson and Justin Mason.

Terry coached at the high school level before ascending to the college game. He was the head coach at Somerville and Angleton from 1993-96.

That sure reads well. Hook'em!

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

IT saying that Hudy is unlikely to be retained, with the Tech guy to replace her: https://texastech.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/john-reilly/2380

From his Bio:

He gives gratitude to Coach Jeff Madden, George Smith, Bennie Wylie, Donnie Maib, Mike Favre, Bo Sandoval and Brandon Johnson for providing guidance in both personal and professional development

uh...

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Looks like we finally got tired of fucking around.

this.  my guess is that has been the interview for football and basketball for CDC.

"hey coach we have an opening and you are the first option,  here's the contract and just letting you know that, additionally, Texas has decided to stop fucking around.  Let me know if you are in."

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

God, the difference between Beard’s staff and Shaka’s first staff feels like night and day. I had forgotten about all the unqualified spares Shaka brought with him. 

was just coming here to post the exact same thing. compare this incoming staff to Mike Morrell, David Cason, Darrin Horn, and Jai Lucas. good fucking grief.

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

was just coming here to post the exact same thing. compare this incoming staff to Mike Morrell, David Cason, Darrin Horn, and Jai Lucas. good fucking grief.

Morrell is now a 38 year old head coach at UNC-Ashville, Horn is now head coach at Northern Kentucky, Jai Lucas is one of the best recruiters in CBB and an assistant at Kentucky. 

not to be Debbie downer but the UTEP, and UTA head Coach aren’t leagues better than what Shaka’s initial group has accomplished since leaving. 

20 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Morrell is now a 38 year old head coach at UNC-Ashville, Horn is now head coach at Northern Kentucky, Jai Lucas is one of the best recruiters in CBB and an assistant at Kentucky. 

not to be Debbie downer but the UTEP, and UTA head Coach aren’t leagues better than what Shaka’s initial group has accomplished since leaving. 

of the assistants Shaka brought in only Horn was even remotely qualified for his job. David Cason had spent 22 years as an assistant with nothing of note to show for it. Mike Morrell was 33 years old and his only previous coaching experience was under Shaka at VCU. Jai Lucas was 28 years old with zero coaching experience of any kind, and he ended not even being the recruiting coup he was supposed to be, making him a complete waste of a an assistant.

Those are not Big XII-level hires, and in fact it's all very embarrassing and horrifying to look back at. Beard is bringing in former HC's and guys with previous experience and success both as coaches and recruiters in this league. Shaka brought in a bunch of kids with no coaching or recruiting experience or or career accomplishments to speak of. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 4

Yeah because the one thing about Tech's teams under Beard was they were routinely physically whipped by Abilene Christian's of the college basketball world.
You watched that game and thought the solution to our rebounding and turnover woes was to fire andrea hudy?

It's not about firing Hudy rather it's about who CB is comfortable with and who he believes can get the players to where he wants them for this system and his plan. This was always going to be a possibility, and it seems people are getting more angry about this than is necessary. 

Hudy also worked with Vic and the women's team, so it's possible she could be retained for that but who knows.  

27 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It's not about firing Hudy rather it's about who CB is comfortable with and who he believes can get the players to where he wants them for this system and his plan. This was always going to be a possibility, and it seems people are getting more angry about this than is necessary. 

Hudy also worked with Vic and the women's team, so it's possible she could be retained for that but who knows.  

This is exactly right.  College coaches bring their own S&C coaches based on shared philosophy.

I know Hudy is one of the best in the biz, but Beard has never worked with her and he wants his guy.  I hope she stays IF Vic also likes her.  

She does both now, and did men's only at KU, but did M/W split at UConn.  I doubt she would stay to do WBB only, but if she did, that would be fantastic! 

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

angry is lubbock towards beard.  no one's angry about hudy leaving. 

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I don’t have anything against Hudy or the job she did, but that’s why you don’t leave Bill Self’s staff to join Shaka Smart’s.   And it wasn’t like she did it when Shaka was first hired - she did it a few years in after he was already on the hot seat.   I hope she at least got a raise for a few years or there was some other factor that made the move worth it for her. 

Didn't she get pushed out by Jeff Long?

This is from a KU site...

This is from a VERY, VERY credible and reputable source. Someone who has made the rounds as a college assistant.

Here’s the set up as I was told by someone very close to the situation:

Rodney, Jerrance and Ulric will be recruiting/coaching and Chris staying on campus overseeing the stuff in the weeds for Beard and will coach every practice with Beard. I can assure you that Beard is not going to allow any of the peripheral stuff to distract from coaching the team, player relationships, game prep and recruiting. Ogden has described in detail to me Beard’s fanaticism with those things.

Those 3 recruiting to Austin along with Beard and Nike has potential to be ridiculous. I predict the basketball world is about to find out that Ulric is one of the top 2-3 recruiters in the America. I’ve witnessed him first hand. He has the “it” factor. Every AAU guy in the country freakin loves him. And he is a genuinely great guy. He went way out of his way to help me recruiting a couple of times when he had no incentive.

Supposedly the salaries will be Rodney $1 million, Ogden $800K, Ulric $650. Don’t know about Jerrance yet but I would bet he was making $450K+ at Kansas.

A new bar has been set by the University of Texas

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Drool 2

20 minutes ago, dogbreath said:

This is from a VERY, VERY credible and reputable source. Someone who has made the rounds as a college assistant.

Rodney, Jerrance and Ulric will be recruiting/coaching and Chris staying on campus overseeing the stuff in the weeds for Beard and will coach every practice with Beard. I can assure you that Beard is not going to allow any of the peripheral stuff to distract from coaching the team, player relationships, game prep and recruiting. Ogden has described in detail to me Beard’s fanaticism with those things.

Those 3 recruiting to Austin along with Beard and Nike has potential to be ridiculous. I predict the basketball world is about to find out that Ulric is one of the top 2-3 recruiters in the America. I’ve witnessed him first hand. He has the “it” factor. Every AAU guy in the country freakin loves him. And he is a genuinely great guy. He went way out of his way to help me recruiting a couple of times when he had no incentive.

Supposedly the salaries will be Rodney $1 million, Ogden $800K, Ulric $650. Don’t know about Jerrance yet but I would bet he was making $450K+ at Kansas.

The number one accolade I've heard about Beard is the immense detail he runs practice with. I've heard a number of former coach color analysts on different networks praise his practices and go on and on about how he runs the best practices they've ever seen. These are guys who routinely sit in on practices for teams across the nation and for it to be a consistent point of emphasis, coming from a number of different people it has to say something about truly remarkable he is in this area. I'm really looking forward to seeing his teams take the court for us.  

1 hour ago, dogbreath said:

My guy said Terry is at $950k so they probably rounded up there but all in all this looks pretty solid. 

1 hour ago, dogbreath said:

tenor.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

The number one accolade I've heard about Beard is the immense detail he runs practice with. I've heard a number of former coach color analysts on different networks praise his practices and go on and on about how he runs the best practices they've ever seen. These are guys who routinely sit in on practices for teams across the nation and for it to be a consistent point of emphasis, coming from a number of different people it has to say something about truly remarkable he is in this area. I'm really looking forward to seeing his teams take the court for us.  

yea but I was told that Mark Adams was the brains behind the operation and Beard just sat in the corner picking his boogers?!?!?

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

yea but I was told that Mark Adams was the brains behind the operation and Beard just sat in the corner picking his boogers?!?!?

Beard oversaw the entire practice, but Mark Adams ran all of the defensive portion including the "kill drill." This is what made the defense elite over the last 4 seasons. Most of the stuff from Tech fans is sour grapes towards Beard, but the defense 100% belonged to Adams. Beard was responsible for the motion offense, culture, recruiting etc. 

Edited by planoraider11