Chris Beard inaugural staff

RaysBoomBoomRoom

10 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Looks like he'll be the video coordinator.

https://texastech.com/staff-directory/brock-berenato/2924

Ok, he can stay.

Chatting to a local friend who went to Stanford, he asked "how long until you have to build faculty housing like we do?". Had not thought about that but that likely is coming at this pace.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/6/2021 at 11:57 PM, Firemans4Horn said:

Morrell is now a 38 year old head coach at UNC-Ashville, Horn is now head coach at Northern Kentucky, Jai Lucas is one of the best recruiters in CBB and an assistant at Kentucky. 

not to be Debbie downer but the UTEP, and UTA head Coach aren’t leagues better than what Shaka’s initial group has accomplished since leaving. 

They actually are leagues better. The head coach is too. Add in his  player development guy and this is one of the best staffs in college basketball, especially with the addition of Howard. That means Ogden or Terry will be in some kind of analyst/basketball ops position, waiting in the wings when Maligi or Howard get a head coaching job. This is a very well connected staff. Shaka had Lucas with ties in the area but he had zero coaching chops. To be honest, the initial staffs shouldn’t be compared. Beard’s wins in every way. 

Edited by Revolution512

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

i am extremely gruntled with the assistants we are bringing in. it's easily the no.1 reason that i'm not unavoidably focused on our lack of, you know, an actual basketball team. even if this next year suuuuucks (watch us have a Bad News Bears roster that trounces Shaka's Jarrett Allen-led 11-win roster), there is every reason to believe that recruiting is going to be out of this world going forward, and that Chris Beard will be able to maximize said talent. i mean shit, i hate doing this- i always try my best to be the last guy who goes full-on blinders/uber positive just because we have a new coach, but just look at the bona fides of our new HC/assistants. these guys are all known commodities. Beard is not fucking around at all. 

what i'm about to say should in no way be interpreted as me saying that the 2023-24 Longhorns are the CBB equivalent of the 2016 Cubs, BUT- the only other time i've ever felt this way regarding a regime change was when the Cubs brought in Theo Epstein and Joe Maddon, and we all obviously know that in that instance it *did* result in a championship. That said, CBB titles are exceedingly difficult to win. A sampling of head coaches with one NCAA title:

Phog Allen, Frank McGuire, Pete Newell, Al McGuire, John Thompson, Rollie Massimino, Larry Brown, Lute Olsen, Jim Boeheim, Tom Izzo (Tom fucking Izzo!!!), Bill Self (best HC in NCAA last 20 years), John Calipari, and more.

I think that people around here are so used to crushing Barnes for never winning a title that they've all forgotten/never realized how difficult it is to win one. Chris Beard doesn't need to win a national title at Texas to be a huge success, or even to be the best coach in program history. BUT- with his resume, and the work that his assistants have done in the past, plus the financial commitment from CDC, I cannot help but believing that Texas Basketball winning the national title could actually become a reality, as admittedly difficult and unlikely as that is. In my opinion, the Chris Beard era at Texas is off to an outstanding start.

And some of the coaches you listed didn’t have to win 6 games in a row to get their title, either. The tournament is a fickle bitch—she can put out and she can be ice cold...

• Hook 'Em 1

The NCAA Division I Tournament expanded to 64 team in 1975.  Only three of those coaches did not have to win six games to become National Champions.

1.     Phog Allen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phog_Allen Kansas 1952

2.     Frank McGuire https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_McGuire North Carolina 1957

3.     Pete Newell https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Newell California 1959

All the rest won six games.

1.     Al McGuire https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_McGuire Marquette 1977

2.     Jim Valvano https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Valvano North Carolina St 1983

3.     John Thompson https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Thompson Georgetown 1984

4.     Rollie Massimino https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollie_Massimino Villanova 1985

5.     Larry Brown https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Brown_(basketball) Kansas 1986

6.     Lute Olsen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lute_Olson Arizona 1997

7.     Tom Izzo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Izzo Michigan St. 2000

8.     Jim Boeheim https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Boeheim Syracuse 2003

9.     Bill Self https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Self Kansas 2008

10. John Calipari https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Calipari Kentucky 2012

21 minutes ago, Speedway said:

The NCAA Division I Tournament expanded to 64 team in 1975.  Only three of those coaches did not have to win six games to become National Champions.

1.     Phog Allen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phog_Allen Kansas 1952

2.     Frank McGuire https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_McGuire North Carolina 1957

3.     Pete Newell https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Newell California 1959

This is incorrect.  I remember the era of byes.  64 teams happened in 1985.

• Hook 'Em 1

You are right, I stand corrected.  1975 went to 32 not 64

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2021-03-14/march-madness-history-ultimate-guide

so add

1    Al McGuire https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_McGuire Marquette 1977

2    John Thompson https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Thompson  Georgetown 1984

ttto the list that did not have to win6 games in the tournament

all of which is to say that it is unbelievably hard to win the NCAA Tournament. It is one of, if not *the* most difficult titles to win in all of sports. in pro sports you can spend beacoup bucks and win a title. this is amateur (lol) sports. you have to win one game against a cupcake and then five consecutive games against good teams. it's as much of a gauntlet as any tournament out there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

When Clyde Drexler and Hakeem Olajuwon (both NBA Hall of Fame & in the 50 best NBA players of all time) cannot win an NCAA title while on the same team with three other NBA drafted players (Michael Young, Larry Micheaux, and Alvin Franklin) Houston Cougars 1982-83 then yes, I would say the NCAA tournament is difficult

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i am extremely gruntled with the assistants we are bringing in. it's easily the no.1 reason that i'm not unavoidably focused on our lack of, you know, an actual basketball team. even if this next year suuuuucks (watch us have a Bad News Bears roster that trounces Shaka's Jarrett Allen-led 11-win roster), there is every reason to believe that recruiting is going to be out of this world going forward, and that Chris Beard will be able to maximize said talent. i mean shit, i hate doing this- i always try my best to be the last guy who goes full-on blinders/uber positive just because we have a new coach, but just look at the bona fides of our new HC/assistants. these guys are all known commodities. Beard is not fucking around at all. 

what i'm about to say should in no way be interpreted as me saying that the 2023-24 Longhorns are the CBB equivalent of the 2016 Cubs, BUT- the only other time i've ever felt this way regarding a regime change was when the Cubs brought in Theo Epstein and Joe Maddon, and we all obviously know that in that instance it *did* result in a championship. That said, CBB titles are exceedingly difficult to win. A sampling of head coaches with one NCAA title:

Phog Allen, Frank McGuire, Pete Newell, Al McGuire, John Thompson, Rollie Massimino, Larry Brown, Lute Olsen, Jim Boeheim, Tom Izzo (Tom fucking Izzo!!!), Bill Self (best HC in NCAA last 20 years), John Calipari, and more.

I think that people around here are so used to crushing Barnes for never winning a title that they've all forgotten/never realized how difficult it is to win one. Chris Beard doesn't need to win a national title at Texas to be a huge success, or even to be the best coach in program history. BUT- with his resume, and the work that his assistants have done in the past, plus the financial commitment from CDC, I cannot help but believing that Texas Basketball winning the national title could actually become a reality, as admittedly difficult and unlikely as that is. In my opinion, the Chris Beard era at Texas is off to an outstanding start.

Pretty classy post from our resident Shaka Smart sunshine pumper.

• Haha 3

Hope the best for Howard. He doesn’t add much from a coaching standpoint but he is the guy who will connect with the players on a human level. Lot of upside but lot of downside. His recruits were either boom or bust for us. 

That makes six NBA drafted players (not the same year) on one college team (Houston Cougars 1982-83), and they didn't win the NCAA championship.  Either that was the worst coaching (Guy V. Lewis) effort ever, or the NBA teams were just wrong about everyone except Hakeem and Clyde.  Guy V. Lewis had another team with six NBA drafted players (not the same year) too (Houston Cougars 1983-84) that didn't win the NCAA championship either.  Although Drexler was not on the team that lost to Georgetown. 

Maybe im off my ass here. But yall paid Tech 4 million. Were good. 

But these 5 stars arent coming to Texas. Beard runs motion. These AAU guys dgaf about motion. They want stats. They want to get D league money and gtfo. If he thinks hiring a true recruiter is going to remedy that, pfft...he’s off his ass. Aint happenin. 

• Fuck You 7

6 minutes ago, Speedway said:

That makes six NBA drafted players (not the same year) on one college team (Houston Cougars 1982-83), and they didn't win the NCAA championship.  Either that was the worst coaching (Guy V. Lewis) effort ever, or the NBA teams were just wrong about everyone except Hakeem and Clyde.  Guy V. Lewis had another team with six NBA drafted players (not the same year) too (Houston Cougars 1983-84) that didn't win the NCAA championship either.  Although Drexler was not on the team that lost to Georgetown. 

The did win 14 Big 12 titles in a row. Its hard to win in March, but yall already know that. 

• Fuck You 6

8 minutes ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

But these 5 stars arent coming to Texas. Beard runs motion. These AAU guys dgaf about motion. They want stats. They want to get D league money and gtfo. If he thinks hiring a true recruiter is going to remedy that, pfft...he’s off his ass. Aint happenin. 

This is going to be 100% wrong but that seems to be your thing on this board. 

Matter of fact, Beard will likely land a 5 star in the '22 class. 

Edited by texasstrong12

28 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This is going to be 100% wrong but that seems to be your thing on this board. 

Matter of fact, Beard will likely land a 5 star in the '22 class. 

Probably so. I just read that some dude recruited by us flipped to Texas. Also, looks like you guys are getting Kyler Edwards....which is confusing. Since he said he was coming back to Tech after we hired Coach Adams. But now he has changed his mind again. 

So. Id say with Texas current roster plus Beard, Kyler, and grad transfers. At least one NCAA tournament win. Maybe two if yall get to play in Fort Worth. 

• Fuck You 9

Just now, Machinator said:

Haven't heard anything about Kyler Edwards leaving Tech.

I saw on twitter he removed RR4L (Red Raider 4 Life) from his profile around the same time Tyson committed to Texas. 

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I saw on twitter he removed RR4L (Red Raider 4 Life) from his profile around the same time Tyson committed to Texas. 

He's removed almost everything on his social media about returning to Tech. 

This can't be true though. Tech fans told me Mark Adams was some type of god that was really running the show. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

Damn that's wild dude, what are you doing with your share of the 4 mil??

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BornOrange said:

$4M is probably the budget for the salaries of Adams and his assistants.

2M per season for Adams, 1.5M for assistants. 

40M state of the art basketball facility about to open, but pfft, Womble donated the cash for that. Helps down the road, but this next season seems like we will be taking a few steps back. 

• Fuck You 1

Probably so. I just read that some dude recruited by us flipped to Texas. Also, looks like you guys are getting Kyler Edwards....which is confusing. Since he said he was coming back to Tech after we hired Coach Adams. But now he has changed his mind again. 

So. Id say with Texas current roster plus Beard, Kyler, and grad transfers. At least one NCAA tournament win. Maybe two if yall get to play in Fort Worth. 

This is getting to the point on crowd sourcing... we haven’t had a good basketball fatawa and I am generally against that outside of the football board, but this acting like a little bitch act is getting fucking old.  Shut the fuck up, get through the stages of grief and move the fuck on.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

This is getting to the point on crowd sourcing... we haven’t had a good basketball fatawa and I am generally against that outside of the football board, but this acting like a little bitch act is getting fucking old.  Shut the fuck up, get through the stages of grief and move the fuck on.

Its a fucking message board dude. Im not gonna buy it a beer or rent it some fucking shoes. This isnt Nam, there are rules. Lighten up, Francis. Charlie dont surf. Pfft

• Fuck You 5

cry more

James Van Der Beek Reaction GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

Eh, Doyle is on a rampage.  Shooting up autographed basketballs with a 12 gauge, feeding catfish dog food, snorting Bitcoin, investing in cocaine, etc.  He's on Day 7 of a post-Beard bender, slumped over the wheel of his F350 right now in the driveway of a tin shack outside Post painted neon green and covered in cattle shit; the building is full of fat, sloppy hookers trafficked from a migrant farm near Clovis that worked him over good and then stole all the cash (and his Regal Rewards card) out of his wallet-on-a-chain; he's got his pecker hanging out, drool on the steering column, and dried jizz on the front of his grease-resistant work pants.

Let him be.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Eh, Doyle is on a rampage.  Shooting up autographed basketballs with a 12 gauge, feeding catfish dog food, snorting Bitcoin, investing in cocaine, etc.  He's on Day 7 of a post-Beard bender, slumped over the wheel of his F350 right now in the driveway of a tin shack outside Post painted neon green and covered in cattle shit; the building is full of fat, sloppy hookers trafficked from a migrant farm near Clovis that worked him over good and then stole all the cash (and his Regal Rewards card) out of his wallet-on-a-chain; he's got his pecker hanging out, drool on the steering column, and dried jizz on the front of his grease-resistant work pants.

Let him be.

Thank you, sir. Pretty close. I was piss drunk in my Freightliner last night. Parked over at the Wild West in LV. Had to haul my own cows. But the first gotdamn thing Im doing when I get back to Dickens County is Imma gonna get a bench warrant drawn up for that peckerhead, then imma go unload that Mossburg on that gotdamn ball. Then Imma head to Spur and hussle up sum pussy. Yew chubby fuckstix, all high and mighty on yer IOS mountain of buffoonery, couldn’t get laid in a whorehouse wiff a fist full of fifties! 

Wreck em!

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Let him be.

Hey, is this the kind of retard that drools and rubs shit in his hair and all that? Cuz I'm gonna have a hard time eatin' 'round that kind of thing now. Just like I am with antique furniture and midgets.

You know that, I can't so much as drink a damn glass of water around a midget or a piece of antique furniture. I ain't saying it's right, I'm just telling the damn truth. He'll make me sick. I know it.

(In all seriousness, fatwas are dumb. Let @Doyle Hargreaves work through his grief.)

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Hey, is this the kind of retard that drools and rubs shit in his hair and all that? Cuz I'm gonna have a hard time eatin' 'round that kind of thing now. Just like I am with antique furniture and midgets.

You know that, I can't so much as drink a damn glass of water around a midget or a piece of antique furniture. I ain't saying it's right, I'm just telling the damn truth. He'll make me sick. I know it.

(In all seriousness, fatwas are dumb. Let @Doyle Hargreaves work through his grief.)

We don't got no Goddamn Beard! We don't need to fucking practice, Zach! We don't no shit-ass manager neither! You motherfuckers! You all are a bunch of losers! I'm the only sane son-of-a-bitch here! So get the *fuck* out! 

The woke fucks negging. FYF. 

• Haha 2

We don't got no Goddamn Beard! We don't need to fucking practice, Zach! We don't no shit-ass manager neither! You motherfuckers! You all are a bunch of losers! I'm the only sane son-of-a-bitch here! So get the *fuck* out! 

dont speak lil bitch.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

giphy.gif