What’s your favorite old school candy?

Buzzrock

On 4/2/2021 at 9:39 AM, Buzzrock said:

I try not to eat sugar too much, but I admit I can’t resist:

4575a52848bf3325fd3c23626c804a77.jpg

The family who founded Ferrara (sold since) rents out other half of my condo floor from us.  The family spends about 20 nights a year there.  Candy is where it’s at.  

• Like 1

On 4/3/2021 at 5:52 AM, RPM said:

Atkinson's knocked it out of the park twice with Chic-O-Sticks and peanut butter bars. I used to devour those.

This was another favorite.

s-l640.jpg

I caught grief on HF for starting a thread asking if the Zero was the "king of the white trash treats."

On 4/2/2021 at 9:36 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

I preferred the candy cigarettes in the paper wrappers that let you blow a little puff of powdered sugar “smoke” out of them at the start. 

I remember those, but the gum was harder than a stale bazooka gum.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UTCzech III said:

Never realized how much I liked cinnamon as a kid.

I love cinnamon but it seems to be falling out of fashion. I’ve noticed that a lot of chewing gums have discontinued their cinnamon flavors. Extra brought their cinnamon flavor back after not offering it for at least a couple years awhile back. Other than that there’s Trident and Big Red. That’s all I see in the stores. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/2/2021 at 11:39 AM, Buzzrock said:

I try not to eat sugar too much, but I admit I can’t resist:

4575a52848bf3325fd3c23626c804a77.jpg

So - Atomic Fireballs were the "console candy of choice" at the Flight Dynamics Officer console in Mission Control.  

I wrote about it here: Atomic Fireballs in Mission Control

Just recently, I was told by a friend who happens to be graphic artist/tech adviser to a number of shows (in the Star Trek series and others) that he had the set dressers of the "For All Mankind" series make sure to add a container of Fireballs behind the FDO console.   Look at the bottom of the page I linked above to see it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Player said:

042972aebd4642818f18f7aa90fa717c.jpg

Loved these things as well. 

Hot tamales are the shit. Mrs. CHIEF brings me those, Sixlets, and Smarties home from the Dollar General outside the gate, then rations them out over the month. 

CHIEF

Just now, UTCzech III said:

Yeah and they made you look all cool and shit when you had one sticking out the side of your mouth in third grade...

No doubt. I'm sure 1/3rd of my fiber intake was from those. No floss needed.

• Haha 1

On 4/5/2021 at 6:44 PM, Buzzrock said:

We’re those bug wax lips edible? I thought they were just wax. I remember getting them on Halloween.

Yeah, those and the pan flute looking things were "chewable wax."  At one time or another, it was hard to get chewing gum, so that wax was a sort of pale imitation.  Not edible, per se.