What’s your favorite old school candy?

Buzzrock

On 4/2/2021 at 3:10 PM, CHIEF said:

My Dad absolutely loved a Cherry Mash, not the one with the creme filled center, but the one with syrup and maraschino cherries. It was way too rich, and sweet for me. They got hard to find, but I would scour very small town store to find them for him. Always told him, "I brought you a prize!" I sure do miss his smile.

CHIEF

They show up now and then around here...like these:

BeemansaBlackJackClove_web.jpg?153555578

On 4/4/2021 at 4:44 PM, horn4life said:

spacer.png

Because you eat it in 3 minutes, and get then keep eating it for another 30 minutes trying to pick all the stuff out of your teeth...

If you get near canadian candy, grab up one of these.  

a-cadbury-wunderbar-chocolate-bar-which-

On 4/5/2021 at 9:59 AM, Player said:

042972aebd4642818f18f7aa90fa717c.jpg

Loved these things as well. 

Very hard to find, but the buttered popcorn ones are the bomb.  

mikenike1.jpg

Two of my favorites not mentioned so far.  

Z0rtLzlcpEx_.JPG

munchbar_1024x.jpg?v=1582214277

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/4/2021 at 4:44 PM, horn4life said:

spacer.png

Because you eat it in 3 minutes, and get then keep eating it for another 30 minutes trying to pick all the stuff out of your teeth...

These are good.  My middle school had the Tom's machines and therefore Butterfinger was named "Full Dinner".  At times i thought it was better.  The Baby Ruth knockoff was terrible.  Too salty and the peanuts were tasteless. 

• 1 month later...

Peanut M&M’s have changed. I figure it must be the chocolate. I used to be able to bite them in the middle, crack them in half, eat one piece of chocolate and candy coating, pull the peanut out of the other half and eat that, then eat the other half of chocolate and candy coating. The peanut doesn’t come free anymore. That completely screws up my routine.

They’re on the list. I’m done with them. 

On 4/4/2021 at 6:09 PM, deadshank said:

Or rub it on a brisket

Well thought I would come back over here and give kudos to deadshank on the Butterfinger Brisket!  Sounded crazy, but tasted crazy fucking good!

Adding a shit ton of calories?  Hell some folks dump butter on their brisket.  It was a last minute deal where I saw brisket on sale at Randall's.  I didn't think the wife was going to buy the brisket, but she did, and she came home with one skinny 12 pounder.  So why not try something different.  I put smoke to the meat for a little over 3-1/2 hours and then rather than stoking the pit, I wrapped that bad boy in foil and put it in the over at 225, and got some desperately needed sleep.  I put a temp probe in after about 12-1/2 hour total cook time, and you could not feel the probe go into the meat, a good sign.  The skinny girl was up to 195, so I cut the temp to 150 as who wants brisket at 8:30 in the morning.  Anyhow tasted great at about 11 am, I would absolutely do it again, especially if my wife is picking the briskets. 😉   Al I did was rub the whole thing in Stubbs and and add a good top coat of Butterfinger.  Sent some to my in-laws and they raved about it as well.  

Anyhow thanks for the reply deadshank that allowed for a little Memorial Day brisket fun!

I think the only thing I might have done differently is trim off every bit of top fat, as I think the melting Butterfinger cap might be enough all by itself.

Butterfinger BBQ pre Smoker.jpegButterfinger BBQ Moist.jpegButterfinger BBQ lean.jpeg

Edited by horn4life
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

Well thought I would come back over here and give kudos to deadshank on the Butterfinger Brisket!  Sounded crazy, but tasted crazy fucking good!

Adding a shit ton of calories?  Hell some folks dump butter on their brisket.  It was a last minute deal where I saw brisket on sale at Randall's.  I didn't think the wife was going to buy the brisket, but she did, and she came home with one skinny 12 pounder.  So why not try something different.  I put smoke to the meat for a little over 3-1/2 hours and then rather than stoking the pit, I wrapped that bad boy in foil and put it in the over at 225, and got some desperately needed sleep.  I put a temp probe in after about 12-1/2 hour total cook time, and you could not feel the probe go into the meat, a good sign.  The skinny girl was up to 195, so I cut the temp to 150 as who wants brisket at 8:30 in the morning.  Anyhow tasted great at about 11 am, I would absolutely do it again, especially if my wife is picking the briskets. 😉   Al I did was rub the whole thing in Stubbs and and add a good top coat of Butterfinger.  Sent some to my in-laws and they raved about it as well.  

Anyhow thanks for the reply deadshank that allowed for a little Memorial Day brisket fun!

I think the only thing I might have done differently is trim off every bit of top fat, as I think the melting Butterfinger cap might be enough all by itself.

Butterfinger BBQ pre Smoker.jpegButterfinger BBQ Moist.jpegButterfinger BBQ lean.jpeg

The Butterfinger brisket rub is not my idea.  That idea was @ChampKind ‘s brainchild from what I recall. 

Glad it worked out for you.  Your brisket looks great.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/31/2021 at 7:56 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Peanut M&M’s have changed. I figure it must be the chocolate. I used to be able to bite them in the middle, crack them in half, eat one piece of chocolate and candy coating, pull the peanut out of the other half and eat that, then eat the other half of chocolate and candy coating. The peanut doesn’t come free anymore. That completely screws up my routine.

They’re on the list. I’m done with them. 

My favorite way to eat them is to put the package on the dash of my pickup for a while and let the sun soften the chocolate. 

On 4/3/2021 at 5:52 AM, RPM said:

Atkinson's knocked it out of the park twice with Chic-O-Sticks and peanut butter bars. I used to devour those.

This was another favorite.

s-l640.jpg

i was in the candy aisle at the convenience store the other day and thought to myself, I have never eaten one of these, nor have i ever considered it, nor have i ever seen another person eat one, purchase one, have one in their possession, or mention it as something good.  out of curiosity, i looked it up and it has been around for over 100 years.  i guess i now (sorta) know one person on planet earth who has ever eaten a zero bar.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

i was in the candy aisle at the convenience store the other day and thought to myself, I have never eaten one of these, nor have i ever considered it, nor have i ever seen another person eat one, purchase one, have one in their possession, or mention it as something good.  out of curiosity, i looked it up and it has been around for over 100 years.  i guess i now (sorta) know one person on planet earth who has ever eaten a zero bar.

Watched @Soul Glo eat one yesterday as a matter of fact.  Road tripping back to Dallas.

• 2 years later...

I agree with the Zero bar. They are most good kept in the refrigerator.

They were made by Hollywood which was bought by Leaf then by Hershey.

Besides Zero, they had PayDay (the best candy bar ever), Butter-Nut, Milk Shake, Hollywood, and Big Time candy bars.