random pre-paid cc just shows up in mail

i'm totally surly 1% so i put on my white gloves before opening as to not have to touch a pre-paid CC, but WTF is this thing?  I'm guessing someone used my info to sign up, but what's the point?  it's pre paid, so how would it even benefit a fraudster?

To get any info online, the website says I need to enter SSN and birthdate.   website seems legit, but still don't want to enter that into in there.  Seems like on the phone i can access the account details by just entering the last 4 of SSN and bday.

would this even show up on a credit report?  I have access to transunion for free and nothing shows up as a new account there.

I don't think it's a rebate for anything for anything.  I had just missed out on a $500 gift card on my tiny giraffe purchase, so that can't be it. 

9 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Some of the stimulus payments were paid out on pre paid cards, but if you are surly 1% you wouldn't be eligible for those.

That is how my 2020 stimulus payment was sent. Shady-looking prepaid debit card. I don't think that I ever logged into that website.

19 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

That is how my 2020 stimulus payment was sent. Shady-looking prepaid debit card. I don't think that I ever logged into that website.

hmmm.  quick google shows that the ones sent by the Treasury were Visa Debit.  Mine is a Mastercard debit.

may just try it at the pump next time i fill up and hope it does not ask for a PIN

The plot thickens.   Apparently I applied to the commonwealth of Virginia for unemployment benefits but the letter sent to me, sadly, denied my eligibility as I am gainfully employed in Dallas during the time period in question. 

I guess I should not have given my ssn to that nice Russian fellow in exchange for a free copy of Russia Today.  Seemed legit.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2021 at 1:48 PM, gyroprotagonist said:

hmmm.  quick google shows that the ones sent by the Treasury were Visa Debit.  Mine is a Mastercard debit.

may just try it at the pump next time i fill up and hope it does not ask for a PIN

"Press "cancel" for credit."

after someone changed the billing address on one of my credit cards and then order $2000 worth of shit from Staples, i froze my account with all three credit bureaus. best decision ever. i don't have to worry about anyone trying to open an account under my name. when i'm applying for something the requires a credit check, i ask the company what bureau they are using. then i'll temp unfreeze the account with that bureau for the credit check and then re-freeze after check is complete.

fuck identity theft. 

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

after someone changed the billing address on one of my credit cards and then order $2000 worth of shit from Staples, i froze my account with all three credit bureaus. best decision ever. i don't have to worry about anyone trying to open an account under my name. when i'm applying for something the requires a credit check, i ask the company what bureau they are using. then i'll temp unfreeze the account with that bureau for the credit check and then re-freeze after check is complete.

fuck identity theft. 

i had one of them frozen, but should probably just get them all done that way.

I went back and looked and the pre-paid card paperwork had something to do with the State of Virginia or at least had the word 'Virginia' prominently displayed at the top of the page, so it looks like the card was issued in response to some sort of claim for pandemic or unemployment benefits.