2021 No Hitter Perfect Game Watch

WBT

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

16 years ago Ryan Tepera and I were teammates on our highschool tennis team. He was a good tennis player but he made the right decision to stick with baseball. I'm thrilled for him that he contributed to a no hitter today.

Thats awesome. Curious to know more about this too:

image.thumb.png.eae6eff3367f94cae5d2bde59e6b1b8c.png

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

Cubs have now thrown the last two no-nos vs the Dodgers with Arrieta in 2015. 

Just got back from the game.  If you had told people before the game that one of the starters would participate in a no-hitter that night, 99.9999% of the people (including me) would have said Buehler.  Baseball is a funny game.  

Kept an eye on the Texas-Virginia score as well.  Tonight was a good night.

I was at the Arrieta no-no in '15, too.  I am a goddam good-luck charm.

8 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

16 years ago Ryan Tepera and I were teammates on our highschool tennis team. He was a good tennis player but he made the right decision to stick with baseball. I'm thrilled for him that he contributed to a no hitter today.

Looked it up.  Fellow B'wood alum here.  Good to see a former Buccaneer doing well.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

He got it!  First no-hitter for the D-backs since Edwin Jackson threw 185 pitches.

And it was his 1st start, not 2nd.  4th appearance.

That's also the modern record 8th this year.  We had really slowed down since there were 6 before the end of May.

Edited by WBT

Seems like this one may have more luck involved than most.  Baseball savant has the Padres with 7 batted balls with xBA of .450 or higher: .590, .630, .590, .810, .560, .450, and .750.  If you accept those xBAs, the odds of making outs on all of those is about 0.3%.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Three times prior.   Household names...

The only other pitchers to throw a no-hitter in their first career MLB start are Ted Breitenstein in 1891, Bumpus Jones in 1892 and Bobo Holloman in 1953, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

Gawd, I looooove B-R...

For some reason, that was Bumpus's only start in 1892.  The next season, he pitched for two teams and had an ERA of over 10 and was gone from the majors forever. 37 BB, 10 K in his entire career.  

Bobo's entire MLB career was 1953.  He ended up with a 5+ ERA in 10 starts, with 50 BB and 25 K.

I hope this guy does better.  

Edited by Beau Vine