Baseball been not berry berry good to Georgia

burntorangebongos

1 hour ago, 406W30th said:

Imagine being more upset about an exhibition game changing venues than Jim Crow-style voter suppression.

Sorry I've had my head in my ass. What did Georgia do? 

2 hours ago, 406W30th said:

Imagine being more upset about an exhibition game changing venues than Jim Crow-style voter suppression.

I think this could end it right here. The mindset of a human being who is angry over a game that has no meaning versus completely ignoring what Georgia is doing with their elections takes a level of cognitive dissonance that I cannot fathom ever having. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Thank you to whoever had the courage and common sense to make this decision.  Just maybe, now enough people in Georgia will pull their heads out of their asses long enough to see what happens when you try to control state elections, not to mention the chaos they created over the presidential election.  Hard to believe that many people are that stupid, but at least there may be a small light at the end of the tunnel that is not an oncoming train.

5 hours ago, Bullneck said:

+Rep from Chico Escuela.

Thanks for the SNL reference , made me smile.  Reminds me of the one about a manager who told his Spanish speaking only shortstop to yell "Yo la tengo!" on fly balls in no man's land.  He did on the first opportunity and got crushed by the left and center fielders, neither of whom understood Spanish.

6 hours ago, tchookem said:
7 hours ago, B00M said:
Sorry I've had my head in my ass. What did Georgia do? 

Passed a law that undermines voting.

I was asking for specifics

From NYT:

Here are the most significant changes to voting in the state, as written into the new law:
Voters will now have less time to request absentee ballots.
There are strict new ID requirements for absentee ballots.
It’s now illegal for election officials to mail out absentee ballot applications to all voters.
Drop boxes still exist … but barely.
Mobile voting centers (think an R.V. where you can vote) are essentially banned.
Early voting is expanded in a lot of small counties, but probably not in more populous ones.
Offering food or water to voters waiting in line now risks misdemeanor charges.
If you go to the wrong polling place, it will be (even) harder to vote.
If election problems arise, a common occurrence, it is now more difficult to extend voting hours.
With a mix of changes to vote-counting, high-turnout elections will probably mean a long wait for results.
Election officials can no longer accept third-party funding (a measure that nods to right-wing conspiracy theories).
With an eye toward voter fraud, the state attorney general will manage an election hotline.
The Republican-controlled legislature has more control over the State Election Board.
The secretary of state is removed as a voting member of the State Election Board.
The G.O.P.-led legislature is empowered to suspend county election officials.
Runoff elections will happen faster — and could become harder to manage.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, B00M said:

From NYT:

Here are the most significant changes to voting in the state, as written into the new law:
It’s now illegal for election officials to mail out absentee ballot applications to all voters.
Mobile voting centers (think an R.V. where you can vote) are essentially banned.
Early voting is expanded in a lot of small counties, but probably not in more populous ones.
If election problems arise, a common occurrence, it is now more difficult to extend voting hours.
With a mix of changes to vote-counting, high-turnout elections will probably mean a long wait for results.
Election officials can no longer accept third-party funding (a measure that nods to right-wing conspiracy theories).
With an eye toward voter fraud, the state attorney general will manage an election hotline.
The Republican-controlled legislature has more control over the State Election Board.
The secretary of state is removed as a voting member of the State Election Board.

elevator_Bob-1.gif

• Haha 1

It would be interesting if sports teams started to refuse to play in GA even for regular season games. The NBA or MLB won’t just hand the GA teams the champ trophy by taking forfeits all seasons and in the playoffs.

effectively the GA teams would be forced to play home games outside of GA.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It would be interesting if sports teams started to refuse to play in GA even for regular season games. The NBA or MLB won’t just hand the GA teams the champ trophy by taking forfeits all seasons and in the playoffs.

effectively the GA teams would be forced to play home games outside of GA.

This is what I'd like to see happen next.  

37 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

By the look of my FB feed, loving this trend. All the right wing pieces of shit are basically down to golf and F1 racing, except they hate those fucking Euros. Golf is up next. Pretty soon they’ll be down exclusively to bowling and professional cornhole league. 

Maybe they’ll take a new interest in the World Cup because they respect all the workers killed building the stadiums in Qatar for a bunch of wealthy pieces of shit. 

I'm pleasantly surprised that in this impending national divorce our side gets to keep all the sports I like. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, B00M said:

From NYT:

No, no, no, no.  I was told by @GRHorn that this is all just a bunch of crying by libs over nothing.  Also, the bolded is actually the play.

Georgia hosts a lot of tv/film stuff. I wonder if that side of things will slow down or cease.  Seems like half the shit I watch has this logo during the credits. 

Georgia-Peach-Logo-618x400.jpg

https://www.11alive.com/mobile/article/entertainment/television/programs/the-a-scene/tv-shows-and-movies-currently-filming-in-atlanta/85-b36f0374-15ee-4168-aa95-ab8923437ca9

Edited by Pato del Muerto

5 hours ago, AnTiM said:

Thanks for the SNL reference , made me smile.  Reminds me of the one about a manager who told his Spanish speaking only shortstop to yell "Yo la tengo!" on fly balls in no man's land.  He did on the first opportunity and got crushed by the left and center fielders, neither of whom understood Spanish.

'62 Mets

23 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Georgia hosts a lot of tv/film stuff. I wonder if that side of things will slow down or cease.  Seems like half the shit I watch has this logo during the credits. 

Georgia-Peach-Logo-618x400.jpg

https://www.11alive.com/mobile/article/entertainment/television/programs/the-a-scene/tv-shows-and-movies-currently-filming-in-atlanta/85-b36f0374-15ee-4168-aa95-ab8923437ca9

This is a big one. Walking dead, lots of marvel movies. If these actively film elsewhere and say why that will be a big deal to the economy, and I’m sure Hollywood types will love to rub their nuts on the faces of conservatives as to why. Canada, London, Australia all have robust film studios and industry support. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but Georgia didn't find any evidence of wide spread voter fraud with the current voting setup but decided to change it anyway?  Yet the MLB is being "knee-jerk" in their reaction to voter suppression and removed the ASG from the ATL?  

Good gravy.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, B00M said:

From NYT:

This is the real meat of the bill.  They have taken election oversite from the secretary of state and will appoint someone of their own choosing to that position.  Someone who would probably be more amenable to 'finding' trumps missing votes.  

Folks, this same type thing is happening here in Texas.  SB7 passed and HB6 is most likely going to as well.  What would we support here as far as boycotts against the same type voter suppression?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Georgia didn't find any evidence of wide spread voter fraud with the current voting setup but decided to change it anyway?  Yet the MLB is being "knee-jerk" in their reaction to voter suppression and removed the ASG from the ATL?  

Good gravy.  

They didn’t change the laws because of fraud. They changed them because they didn’t like the outcome of the statewide races. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Yeah... this voter suppression is coming to Texas.  The problem is all the talk coming from Dell and American Airlines etc aren’t going to be backed by any action, I’m afraid.   Need to line up a Wendy Davis filibuster unless they’ve changed rules to prevent it.  

If Alabama politicians could stop doing stupid shit for just one day a week (notice I didn't say "start doing smart shit," just "stop doing stupid shit,") we could put these Georgia choke-artist Q-voters in the rear-view mirror.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Mo Brooks and Tubs will find a way to be even dumber.

22 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

If Alabama politicians could stop doing stupid shit for just one day a week (notice I didn't say "start doing smart shit," just "stop doing stupid shit,") we could put these Georgia choke-artist Q-voters in the rear-view mirror.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

You’d think delta threatening to leave Atlanta every time a new bullshit law is passed  would pique their interest, but seemingly nah. Because they agree with the bathroom and voting laws. 

• Hook 'Em 1

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Yup.

As much deserved shit I throw at Governor MeeMaw, she is the ONLY deep red southern state leader who hasn’t gone all Trumpy.

(Of course our Jim Crow voting laws have been around ages so it’s not anything new.)

MeeMaw would wet her Depends in joy to snatch the Delta hub to Birmingham.

11 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I'm sure if Hank Aaron were alive, he'd really appreciate that dumb bitch using his name for politics.

Meanwhile, this is all Stacy Abrams' fault:

EyBbPPeXMAA4ThE?format=jpg&name=small

All that lying and bitching isn’t gonna bring the game back. 

Fuck em. 

14 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I'm sure if Hank Aaron were alive, he'd really appreciate that dumb bitch using his name for politics.

Who cares what some unemployed karen thinks?

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

The Republican Party had the chance to let Hank Aaron’s children and grandchildren vote unhindered, and yet here we are.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

MeeMaw would wet her Depends in joy to snatch the Delta hub to Birmingham.

I mean. I guess an airport expansion in Birmingham would be cool, but they'd have to go halfway to Clanton to find enough flat open land.

I have never been someone who wished Bham were more like Atlanta. The interesting downtown parts are similar, and if I want the full Atlanta Burbs experience, all I have to do is drive through Shelby County three times.

Realistically, if I'm a CEO who's pissed at Georgia for being regressive, not sure I'd put my company's eggs in the Bama basket.

Birmingham's secret superpower is that we are a heavy-metal rail hub. We should sneak up on Uncle Joe and point that out.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They didn’t cancel the game, they just moved it. Tough shit, hard working Georgians. I bet they still honor hank Aaron, too. It’s not like he was in Atlanta his whole career. 

Nope:

EsWZKCYW4AIJsa3.jpg

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Haha 1

PHILADELPHIA -- The Atlanta Braves looked a little like patchwork in their second game of the season.

The All-Star Game patch that appeared on the right sleeve of the Braves' jerseys during Opening Day was sewn over Saturday for the game against the Philadelphia Phillies at Citizens Bank Park. The same logo was gone from their hats, too.

The uniform change came a day after Major League Baseball announced that this summer's All-Star Game was being moved out of Atlanta over the sport's objections to sweeping changes to Georgia voting laws.

It was easy to spot the change on the jersey, with the outline of the All-Star patch noticeably covered over. The Braves still have a patch on their left sleeves marking the 150th anniversary of the franchise.

6 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

As a life long fan of Hank Aaron it sickens me to see loefler invoke his name in an attempt at a political cheap shot. She really is an awful person 

• Hook 'Em 5