Need info on Orlando

jimmyjazz

I have to make a quick trip to Orlando next week.  I'll be at the Orange County Convention Center Tue/Wed.  It appears to be about 13 miles west of the airport.

I've been to Orlando a few times but only for Disney World.  Any recs on a good part of town for hotels/food, preferably within a 20-30 minute drive of both the convention center and airport?  I don't need much in the way of a hotel, a Courtyard or similar is fine.  I'd just like to be able to go get some good local food & drink and hopefully avoid the standard chains.

24 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

The convention center is on the hell that is I-Drive. There is an Ale House nearby though.

That's cold bro...

If on expense account... Charley's  https://www.charleyssteakhouse.com/

Nice dinner

Sushi  http://seitosushi.com/  (actually the Bulgolgi is what I get)

Cheap easy decent

Urban Hibachi - 3042 W Sand Lake Rd, Orlando, FL 32819

World of Beer... 7800 Dr. Phillips Blvd  https://worldofbeer.com/Locations/DrPhillips

been a while since I've done time in Orlando,  All I've got for you...

3 minutes ago, Loco said:

That's cold bro...

If on expense account... Charley's  https://www.charleyssteakhouse.com/

Nice dinner

Sushi  http://seitosushi.com/  (actually the Bulgolgi is what I get)

Cheap easy decent

Urban Hibachi - 3042 W Sand Lake Rd, Orlando, FL 32819

World of Beer... 7800 Dr. Phillips Blvd  https://worldofbeer.com/Locations/DrPhillips

been a while since I've done time in Orlando,  All I've got for you...

World of Beer (Downtown) is the right answer. Downtown Orlando is underrated and a nice break from the tourist hell. If you want to catch a movie then go to the Cobb downtown that feels as nice as the nicest Alamo with $5 ticket prices.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I hesitate to ask, but is there any legit (southern) BBQ in Orlando?

No. If you ask locals, many will rave about a place called Four Rivers. The guy came to Texas to study bbq and then opened up a place in Orlando. He’s done so well that he’s got got like 12 (?) locations. He’s a really nice dude but it’s not worth going to, especially coming from Austin.

i wouldn’t make an effort to stay downtown Orlando unless you wanted to go crazy with bars and nightlife. Traffic is pretty awful in Orlando so I’d stay close to your meetings and then explore elsewhere if you had time. Sand Lake road is sort of a restaurant row, with plenty of nice choices but sort of on the upper scale. I could recommend some nice places up in Winter Park. 

OK, I appreciate the help.  I've been there a few times but always for Disney.  

I found an airfare/hotel/car package on CostCo that puts me within 15-20 minutes of both the airport and the convention center.  Hotel has plenty on grounds, I'll probably just eat and drink there.

The world is your oyster in Orlando...the metro area is a hub for culinary dining options from around the globe. Craving seafood? Just so happens there is a Red Lobster on International Drive. Even the name of the thoroughfare screams global inclusion. Looking for some good authentic Southern cooking? Waffle Houses are aplenty. If it's good ol' Midwestern fare you seek, look no further than Pizza Uno or Giordano's. If you're missing the eats of home and some Tex-Mex, you can find plenty of options - from On the Border to Taco Bell. If you're looking for more ethnic type of flair, say Asian, simply type in Panda Express on your Google Maps app and you should be able to find one within 25 feet. And for the truly International experience, nothing hits the spot more than the one and only International House of Pancakes. Enjoy your stay, and be sure to leave positive reviews on Yelp. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Disney Springs  is legit.  Try the Edison Bar or Homecomin'.  The Boathouse is also an excellent choice.  The shopping is pretty unique and tons of live free street performers.  The last time I went, we listened in on chamber music, bluegrass, contemporary music, and the obligatory Buffett cover dude.  

On 5/2/2018 at 4:31 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Shit, they have Tommy Bahama's?  This changes everything!

On 5/2/2018 at 4:24 PM, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I enjoyed the Tommy Bahama's restaurant. If you are really slinging around the corporate expense account AMEX, there is a Capital Grille next door.

The Tommy Bahamas next to convention center has closed.  That was my go to happy hour place. RIP. 

Edited by CrownKing

• 2 years later...
BUMP
I'm also having to go out to Orlando in a couple weeks for work. Never gone without the family. Anyone been somewhat recently and have any good recs in the midst of COVID?

If you have a car and some schedule flexibility, reserve a sitting at Kadence Sushi in winter park. It ain’t cheap but damn it was incredible.

• 3 years later...

PSA for anyone who travels to Orlando for work or family trips.  I was there last week and wanted to escape the Disney industrial complex for a great dinner with my wife.  I wanted something outside of Orlando and searched for seafood restaurants in surrounding towns.  One place popped up, Gary’s Oyster Bar, that is in a small town called Lake Alfred, FL.  We made the 45 minute drive (less than 30 minutes without traffic but I-4 is a bitch almost 24/7) southwest of Orlando to Lake Alfred.  Luck was on our side as this place was spectacular - true oyster bar with fresh shucked local oysters from Yankeetown, FL, great appetizers and sides, perfectly grilled fish, and $3.50 draft beers.

IMG_1849.thumb.jpeg.16f97fa8a46832d7c2f31f41746ddfd5.jpeg

IMG_1840.thumb.jpeg.cbeedce5d4225552b2330df4625a6a3e.jpeg

IMG_1841.thumb.jpeg.463c25def61e8528acb6972f60f56c99.jpeg

IMG_1843.thumb.jpeg.d5cd014b9cc63e232e54cd101e2f1881.jpeg

IMG_1848.thumb.jpeg.5e3458e5efcd244a9db3f614ccf69d74.jpeg

Grilled Red Snapper over a bed of Cajun cheese grits and perfectly cooked fresh hushpuppies.  Couch fritters and crab cakes were outstanding as well.

Great folks at the bar with an older couple of Kentucky who’d been on a month long fishing trip to Lake Okeechobee and were returning home.  They said they discovered this place twenty years ago and have been stopping on their return trip every year.  Breath of fresh air from Orlando…

To sum things up, this is the kind of place Mike Leach would have loved.

Edited by MalibuSheriff
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MalibuSheriff said:

PSA for anyone who travels to Orlando for work or family trips.  I was there last week and wanted to escape the Disney industrial complex for a great dinner with my wife.  I wanted something outside of Orlando and searched for seafood restaurants in surrounding towns.  One place popped up, Gary’s Oyster Bar, that is in a small town called Lake Alfred, FL.  We made the 45 minute drive (less than 30 minutes without traffic but I-4 is a bitch almost 24/7) southwest of Orlando to Lake Alfred.  Luck was on our side as this place was spectacular - true oyster bar with fresh shucked local oysters from Yankeetown, FL, great appetizers and sides, perfectly grilled fish, and $3.50 draft beers.

Grilled Red Snapper over a bed of Cajun cheese grits and perfectly cooked fresh hushpuppies.  Couch fritters and crab cakes were outstanding as well.

Great folks at the bar with an older couple of Kentucky who’d been on a month long fishing trip to Lake Okeechobee and were returning home.  They said they discovered this place twenty years ago and have been stopping on their return trip every year.  Breath of fresh air from Orlando…

Are their couch fritters made from real couches?

1 hour ago, MalibuSheriff said:

IMG_8804.jpeg

3 hours ago, zlavydra said:

Baseball series there in May.  How's the area around UCF?

It’s not bad but it’s a generic college suburb area. Not much unique going on.
It is close to Winter Park. I would just go there.

Michelin Rated Restaurants 

Ava for high end Mediterranean food 

Prato for Italian

Kadence, Kabooki, Edoboy or Soseki for sushi.

Kadence and Soseki are Omakase and expensive 

Ravenous Pig is a brewery and has good food

Other good spots:

The Porch- nice open air sports bar 

Swine and Sons/ Courtesy Bar - nice cocktails with a great fried chicken sandwich and smash burger

Park Ave Tavern -great burger - Wall Street Journal claims it’s the best burger

Black Bean Deli- great Cuban sandwich

Briarpatch- good breakfast/ brunch spot but is counter service and the line can be long

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Rimbo said:

sorry, wrong Orlando.

s-l1600.webp

He was pretty good in these movies and also in those Pirate movies he was in

haven't really noticed him in anything else

He's the main protagonist in Carnival Row on Prime. Very good show and he does a great job

• Hook 'Em 1