MLB The Show 21

shadow_operative

Welp, it's finally on xbox. I always vowed that if/when they brought this to xbox that i would get it, and i just pre-ordered it. I loved playing baseball video games growing up, and (somewhat surprisingly) there was no shortage of fun baseball video games for a kid who was born in 1984. hell, i'm still playing MLB 2K12 on my old school xbox console just to get my fix. suffice to say i'm pumped to finally be able to play this game after years and years of settling for that old 2K crap. anyone else going to get this game?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Gamepass is Microsoft gaming subscription.

You pay a monthly fee (or get multi month packages via codes you can buy on sale) and you get access to a library of games you can install and play as much as you want.

There is a Gamepass Ultimate level that grants you access to games on both PC and XBox consoles and also includes games from EA Play.

All first party Microsoft games will be on it at release, which now includes Bethesda games.

Games will come and go and sometimes roll off the service. It tells you the exact dates a game will disappear and you can permanently purchase it at a discount.

• Hook 'Em 1

I've been playing for years, but only got into Diamond Dynasty these last 2 years. Its the best sports game out there - by far. I'm borderline addicted.

Same. This is the first year that I bought the most expensive edition to get the extra stuff.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Capn81 said:

Same. This is the first year that I bought the most expensive edition to get the extra stuff.

Did the same. My only complaint is I really don't have the time to both grind for players AND actually play Ranked Season games. After the actual mlb season ends it's much easier to obtain 99s so grind becomes less arduous.

• Like 1

Did the same. My only complaint is I really don't have the time to both grind for players AND actually play Ranked Season games. After the actual mlb season ends it's much easier to obtain 99s so grind becomes less arduous.

I hear you. I have been guilty of having my cousin come over and go through the conquest and showdown stuff.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/20/2021 at 11:33 AM, shadow_operative said:

i'm loving this game. currently doing a franchise mode with the padres. question- is there a way to play as the Cubs with a custom roster? i tried to find a way to do that but couldn't find anything. 

Not sure. I know that when I was a bit confused about franchise stuff in the past, I visited the Operation Sports forums which has a dedicated base of hardcore franchise players. I found a lot of good info just by perusing those boards

I was even worse at hitting than usual until I finally started getting my timing back. 

I swear that Franchise has a "keep scores close" option embedded in the programming somewhere. After scoring 2-3 runs a game every fucking game I exploded out to an 8-0 lead after two. Top of the third brings a parade of bloop hits, errors, and tight strike zone and it's 8-7 after 2.5. This used to happen all the time last year. 

But the game is fun. Only one glitch encountered so far. I had my RF throwing home and then tried to switch at the last second to the cut off man. He did a fake throw and then he would never throw the ball after that. I tried throwing to any base to get the fucking ball into the infield and it was just pump fakes as the batter ran all the way around the bases for a ITP HR.

aaannndddf i just raged at this game for the first time, and rightfully fucking so. i'm doing this franchise mode with the Padres, and the game automatically adjusts the difficulty level based on how well i'm doing. when it comes to pitching, i've been steady climbing the ladder since i very first started playing the game. i can't remember the name of my current difficulty level, but it's up there. as for hitting, i've been stuck between Rookie+ and Veteran, kind of going back and forth between them.

anyway, i'm playing the Rockies with Clevenger on the hill, and through 8 starts he's 3-4, but he has a 2.18 ERA and 0.98 WHIP. it's the first inning, and i'm facing some fucking no-name minor leaguer for CO who's hitting .218 on the year, and he's Ted fucking Williams x Tony Gwynn + Barry Bonds. in and out, up and down, 0-2 count, 4 seam, 12-6 curve, tight slider, perfect change-up, it doesn't matter- he's all over every single one of them. i've already got Charlie Blackmon on 2B because he somehow got a standup double by smoking a ball on the ground directly to my CF, and now Rando fucking Rocky is taking me 8 pitches into the count before hitting his own double. he gets down 0-2 and then stares at two straight pitches on the black and is just lasered in on every pitch. there was nothing i could do to get him out. 

fuck that. i'm leading the league in every pitching category but my team is under .500 through 42 games because we're last in the league in every hitting cat. i don't need the game making every cpu player completely OP because i happen to be decent at pitching. this is easily the coolest sports game i've ever played, but god damn it i hate it when sports video games pull this LOLOLOL WERE ALL OP FUCK YOU shit just because i got good at the game. 

Edited by shadow_operative

On 4/27/2021 at 12:31 AM, shadow_operative said:

aaannndddf i just raged at this game for the first time, and rightfully fucking so. i'm doing this franchise mode with the Padres, and the game automatically adjusts the difficulty level based on how well i'm doing. when it comes to pitching, i've been steady climbing the ladder since i very first started playing the game. i can't remember the name of my current difficulty level, but it's up there. as for hitting, i've been stuck between Rookie+ and Veteran, kind of going back and forth between them.

anyway, i'm playing the Rockies with Clevenger on the hill, and through 8 starts he's 3-4, but he has a 2.18 ERA and 0.98 WHIP. it's the first inning, and i'm facing some fucking no-name minor leaguer for CO who's hitting .218 on the year, and he's Ted fucking Williams x Tony Gwynn + Barry Bonds. in and out, up and down, 0-2 count, 4 seam, 12-6 curve, tight slider, perfect change-up, it doesn't matter- he's all over every single one of them. i've already got Charlie Blackmon on 2B because he somehow got a standup double by smoking a ball on the ground directly to my CF, and now Rando fucking Rocky is taking me 8 pitches into the count before hitting his own double. he gets down 0-2 and then stares at two straight pitches on the black and is just lasered in on every pitch. there was nothing i could do to get him out. 

fuck that. i'm leading the league in every pitching category but my team is under .500 through 42 games because we're last in the league in every hitting cat. i don't need the game making every cpu player completely OP because i happen to be decent at pitching. this is easily the coolest sports game i've ever played, but god damn it i hate it when sports video games pull this LOLOLOL WERE ALL OP FUCK YOU shit just because i got good at the game. 

derka much? amirite?!?

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

seems like every time i take a lead at 1B i get picked off. i even turned down the cpu pickoff success. anyone else experiencing this? or maybe i'm doing something incorrectly?

I'm having the same issue as well. 

Any one have any recommendations on ways to make hitting easier?  I have been on the XBOX for ever so I haven't played an MLB game since before the Show and am struggling getting back into it right now after so many years not playing it.  I played all sorts of baseball games starting from World Series Baseball 2K on the Dreamcast all the way up until the MLB games became a Sony exclusive and I never remember really having any issues with hitting like I am now.  But for some reason now, I'm just awful at it, particularly with correctly evaluating balls vs strikes and laying off garbage pitches.  Idk, maybe I just suck at it now

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

seems like every time i take a lead at 1B i get picked off. i even turned down the cpu pickoff success. anyone else experiencing this? or maybe i'm doing something incorrectly?

Yeah, taking a lead beyond the deafult is asking for a pickoff. Stealing, at least for me, has all been very difficult with anyone with speed under 90. Even for speedsters I get caught somewhat frequently.

2 hours ago, justinjc7 said:

Any one have any recommendations on ways to make hitting easier?  I have been on the XBOX for ever so I haven't played an MLB game since before the Show and am struggling getting back into it right now after so many years not playing it.  I played all sorts of baseball games starting from World Series Baseball 2K on the Dreamcast all the way up until the MLB games became a Sony exclusive and I never remember really having any issues with hitting like I am now.  But for some reason now, I'm just awful at it, particularly with correctly evaluating balls vs strikes and laying off garbage pitches.  Idk, maybe I just suck at it now

First, what hitting style are you using? I would recommend zone. Although a higher learning curve, once you get it, it becomes far better than directional or analog.

Second, despite all the advice I am going to offer, much of it just comes down to practice and repetition - especially true for evaluating pitches in the air. Some recommend going into practice mode on HOF difficulty and facing someone like Aroldis Chapman. Do that over and over until you are comfortable discerning pitches. 

Take Pitches. Take Pitches. Take pitches. Cannot stress this enough. When I am playing Ranked vs users, I will often take until i get a strike. Even if I'm not doing that, I will look for a pitch, and will only swing if its there. So, if I'm looking high fastball first pitch, I'm totally ignoring anything that's below the belt - not even going to move my PCI down. If its a strike, oh well. You'll be amazed at what pitches you'll get to hit on 2-0 and 3-1 counts. If I'm struggling, sometimes I will intentionally shrink down the strike zone in my mind - to about half its normal size. Basically the center of the zone. If its not in there, i'm not swinging. 

Hitting view. This is a big one. Most of the top players swear by Strike zone 2, or any view that is basically the view from the catcher. I don't like this as I prefer to see my entire hitter. Personally, I go with "MLB the Show 15" as my camera angle. Whichever you choose, it comes down to being comfortable and getting used to it. 

Watch the pitcher's hand. When pitcher is in windup, focus on where that release point will be. Just like real baseball, you want to be focusing on the ball from the moment it is visible. You are looking for slight "bumps" or rises that could indicate breaking ball. With time, you can become pretty decent at picking things up.

PCI. Play around with PCI indicators. Personally, i find them distracting and have it turned off completely, but there are all sorts of options to make it look less intrusive, more intrusive, etc.

Check swings. They have become much more difficult in this years game, but the check swing was a big part of my game in the past. Being able to stop you finger from fully depressing the button once you realize the ball is gonna be in the dirt, saved me from many a "k" in the past.

Even with all of the above, remember that failing 7/10 times is still a good spot to be in. I still swing at balls in the dirt and chase sliders that break way outside. Personally, i think the difficulty is what make it fun. I've been playing for years and can still get shutout playing online vs user. Makes it that much more rewarding when you take a 0-2 curveball deep. Good luck.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, justinjc7 said:

i'm with you. i've soared up the pitching difficulty ladder to the point where now pitching is so difficult that i can't strike anyone out. still, that's because of how high the pitching difficulty has become. meanwhile i'm still at the Rookie+ level of hitting despite playing the game every day. i've gotten better at making contact (i'm super patient, going deep into counts, and i try to stay back on *everything*), but i still strike out a ton and struggle to score runs. still a ton of innings where i'm 3-up, 3-down.

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i'm with you. i've soared up the pitching difficulty ladder to the point where now pitching is so difficult that i can't strike anyone out. still, that's because of how high the pitching difficulty has become. meanwhile i'm still at the Rookie+ level of hitting despite playing the game every day. i've gotten better at making contact (i'm super patient, going deep into counts, and i try to stay back on *everything*), but i still strike out a ton and struggle to score runs. still a ton of innings where i'm 3-up, 3-down.

Can't vouch myself, but many new players swear they find veteran or even all star easier to hit on than rookie.

/r/MLB the show is replete with anecdotes.

Oh, one last thing. Make sure your TV is in "game mode." There's more lag and reduced frame rate if not. This can make all the difference in the world. Its also the reason the top players only play this game on gaming monitors vs. TVs.  All about picking up that pitch in the air.

Zone hitting, and practice your timing. Pull up the pitches the pitcher has in his repertoire, so you have an idea what to expect. Does he throw a lot of heat, or is it a bunch of off-speed stuff?

Edited by Deej

Can't vouch myself, but many new players swear they find veteran or even all star easier to hit on than rookie.
/r/MLB the show is replete with anecdotes.

I agree with this. I play conquest on Veteran or all star. Too much random stuff seems to happen on rookie.

i cannot K anyone. i'm constantly up 0-1, 0-2, 1-2, and everyone, and i mean *everyone*, from guys who K 200 times every year to minor league hitters to goddamn AL pitchers is just zoned in on *everything* when it comes to making contact. example of a typical AB when i'm pitching with Clevinger, Lamet, Marquez, Burnes, etc:

pitch 1: 4 seam up and in. strike one.

pitch 2: 4 seam low and away. strike 2.

pitch 3: slider low and away on the black, taken. ball one

pitch 4: 12-6 curve, away, on the black, taken. ball two

pitch 5: 4 seam middle-up, at the eyes, on the border line of the zone. taken, ball three

pitch six: slider, low and in, perfect execution. fouled off

pitch seven: my first changeup of the game, low and away, in the zone, but nasty: smoked for a double by some absolute goddamn spare or relief pitcher. 

shit is getting incredibly frustrating. i started off getting double digit k's and throwing one-hitters and shit, and now i can't muster more than 3-5 k's, even in a complete game with a dominant pitcher. i've gone from being a pitching god to a laughing stock in two weeks. i hate to say it, but this game is starting to negatively affect me in the exact same way that FIFA did when i still played that stupid shit: i watch baseball all day and i see everyone swinging and missing at pitches in the zone (sometimes MVP caliber players, sometimes on three straight fastballs, sometimes they're just totally overwhelmed), and i get all upset and start whining about how you can't do that in MLB The Show. whining about how i'm always up 0-2 on every hitter only to end up giving up 4 runs on 33 pitches in one inning. there's got to be some middle ground with pitching here. i went from loving it to loathing it in two weeks time. that shit is wack. 

Stop playing on dynamic difficulty. Pick any level and stick with it for a game. If you find it too easy/ too hard, pick a different level. If you find that there's no level that meets what you need, go into the sliders and adjust incrementally until you hit the sweet spot. When I played franchise I had some wonky sliders but they recreated realistic pitching outcomes for me.

23 hours ago, Foosters said:

First, what hitting style are you using? I would recommend zone. Although a higher learning curve, once you get it, it becomes far better than directional or analog.

Second, despite all the advice I am going to offer, much of it just comes down to practice and repetition - especially true for evaluating pitches in the air. Some recommend going into practice mode on HOF difficulty and facing someone like Aroldis Chapman. Do that over and over until you are comfortable discerning pitches. 

Take Pitches. Take Pitches. Take pitches. Cannot stress this enough. When I am playing Ranked vs users, I will often take until i get a strike. Even if I'm not doing that, I will look for a pitch, and will only swing if its there. So, if I'm looking high fastball first pitch, I'm totally ignoring anything that's below the belt - not even going to move my PCI down. If its a strike, oh well. You'll be amazed at what pitches you'll get to hit on 2-0 and 3-1 counts. If I'm struggling, sometimes I will intentionally shrink down the strike zone in my mind - to about half its normal size. Basically the center of the zone. If its not in there, i'm not swinging. 

Hitting view. This is a big one. Most of the top players swear by Strike zone 2, or any view that is basically the view from the catcher. I don't like this as I prefer to see my entire hitter. Personally, I go with "MLB the Show 15" as my camera angle. Whichever you choose, it comes down to being comfortable and getting used to it. 

Watch the pitcher's hand. When pitcher is in windup, focus on where that release point will be. Just like real baseball, you want to be focusing on the ball from the moment it is visible. You are looking for slight "bumps" or rises that could indicate breaking ball. With time, you can become pretty decent at picking things up.

PCI. Play around with PCI indicators. Personally, i find them distracting and have it turned off completely, but there are all sorts of options to make it look less intrusive, more intrusive, etc.

Check swings. They have become much more difficult in this years game, but the check swing was a big part of my game in the past. Being able to stop you finger from fully depressing the button once you realize the ball is gonna be in the dirt, saved me from many a "k" in the past.

Even with all of the above, remember that failing 7/10 times is still a good spot to be in. I still swing at balls in the dirt and chase sliders that break way outside. Personally, i think the difficulty is what make it fun. I've been playing for years and can still get shutout playing online vs user. Makes it that much more rewarding when you take a 0-2 curveball deep. Good luck.

Man, this is gold.

I'm also new to the game and I was using Fish Eye 2 to hit, and I could hammer stuff in the top half of the zone and above, but really struggled with anything down and/or away, including chasing a lot of really bad sliders way out of the zone.  But Strike Zone 2 makes it a lot easier to pick up the ball out of the pitchers hand to tell what the pitch is and where it's going to end up.  And you have a lot more time to react.  I took BP off deGrom and was way early on the first four fastballs at 101 while I was still used to Fish Eye 2.  So I slowed it down a little and parked a couple of fastballs then realized I could sit fastball and still have time to react to a breaking ball and go the other way with it, instead of having to sit on one particular pitch with Fish Eye 2.  What a freaking difference.

But like you, I still prefer seeing the whole hitter.  I'll try MLB 15 next.

Question: which setting do most use for the In-Play View Offense?  Leave it on Dynamic or maybe use Broadcast?

Edited by TexArcher

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

Man, this is gold.

I'm also new to the game and I was using Fish Eye 2 to hit, and I could hammer stuff in the top half of the zone and above, but really struggled with anything down and/or away, including chasing a lot of really bad sliders way out of the zone.  But Strike Zone 2 makes it a lot easier to pick up the ball out of the pitchers hand to tell what the pitch is and where it's going to end up.  And you have a lot more time to react.  I took BP off deGrom and was way early on the first four fastballs at 101 while I was still used to Fish Eye 2.  So I slowed it down a little and parked a couple of fastballs then realized I could sit fastball and still have time to react to a breaking ball and go the other way with it, instead of having to sit on one particular pitch with Fish Eye 2.  What a freaking difference.

But like you, I still prefer seeing the whole hitter.  I'll try MLB 15 next.

Question: which setting do most use for the In-Play View Offense?  Leave it on Dynamic or maybe use Broadcast?

That's a damn good question. I honestly don't think I've ever even played around with that setting. Gonna fuck around with it tonight

8 hours ago, Foosters said:

Stop playing on dynamic difficulty. Pick any level and stick with it for a game. If you find it too easy/ too hard, pick a different level. If you find that there's no level that meets what you need, go into the sliders and adjust incrementally until you hit the sweet spot. When I played franchise I had some wonky sliders but they recreated realistic pitching outcomes for me.

how do i turn off dynamic difficulty?

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

how do i turn off dynamic difficulty?

Somewhere in settings, I think under "gameplay." You can change settings for pitching and hitting difficulty. 

Here's a massive thread with franchise nerds discussing difficulty settings and sliders

https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/mlb-show-sliders/984270-tnk-mlb-21-sliders.html

Edited by Foosters
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don't like zone hitting because I feel like it's too much of a random output generator when it comes to the results of your swings.

I stick with analog and am patient at the plate. It's amazing how much this game is like actual hitting. If you swing at every strike you're going to have too many poor contacts. Look for fastballs in your spot and mash when they come in. 

On pitching don't be afraid to throw a slider / curve well off the plate or low on strike two. I find I get more swings and misses there than trying to paint the black. The batters always take and the blind fucking ump never gives you that close pitch.

The game is fucking awesome, my only irritation (still) is that I hit into way too many double plays. And if I send the runner to avoid a DP it's guaranteed I will hit a screaming liner to an infielder and still get double played.

Also, I like the dynamic difficulty, especially as you're getting started, but turn the slider down low so it doesn't adjust as fast. 

The default setting moves difficulty way too quickly. With default if you run into some pitches and get some lucky bounces and win a game 12-1, you know the next game you're going to get 2 hits and strike out 12 times. Sucks. 

• 2 weeks later...

my first postseason is underway. it's the NLCS, game 1, and Kershaw has shut me down all day. i'm losing 2-0 in the 9th with Jansen on the hill, and i'm down to my last out. and then...

make sure to check out the inning/score/base runners when the video switches to me pitching. and check out those stats at the end. i doubt i'll ever play another game like that.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

my first postseason is underway. it's the NLCS, game 1, and Kershaw has shut me down all day. i'm losing 2-0 in the 9th with Jansen on the hill, and i'm down to my last out. and then...

make sure to check out the inning/score/base runners when the video switches to me pitching. and check out those stats at the end. i doubt i'll ever play another game like that.

Great stuff. This game can really make you sweat. 

• 2 weeks later...

welp, this was awesome:

heading into the 8th inning Kershaw had a no-hitter and Lamet had a perfecto. Luis Robert took Kershaw deep to lead off the 8th, and I was able to get the final three outs with Lamet. normally there's a web gem in every no-no/perfect game, but the play of the game no doubt was Robert's bomb. epic timing on his part. 

• Hook 'Em 3

here's the video that makes my perfect game video 10x more impressive. it's DANNY DUFFY's at-bat against the same Dinelson Lamet who threw the perfect game against the freaking Dodgers. the same Danny Duffy who has 22 career AB's in 11 years, with 3 hits and 11 k's. that Danny Duffy. watch in amazement as he impersonates a Tony Gwynn/Ted Williams love child, by being dead-on every single pitch that Lamet throws. up, down, in, out, 4 seam, 2 seam, curveball, and that invisible slider that he throws. any pitch, any count, and Danny Duffy is all over it. i'm seriously proud of that perfect game, because this is what i had to overcome to achieve it:

this is the best sports game i've ever played.

• Like 1

*esepcially* the part where he just handles my 2-seam/slider combo back to back to back to back. they look like the exact same pitch coming out of the hand, only they break in opposite directions, and one is 98 mph while the other is 83 mph. i still can't believe that i even threw a no-hitter, and what's more, a perfecto. this game has found the balance between challenging and rewarding, and i love it. 

• Like 1

Was down 8-0 in the bottom of the 8th in online game. Scored 6 in the 8th and then had 2 on bottom 9th, winning run at bat 2 outs....smoked one on a rope and it went off the right fielders glove and took a crazy hop off the wall....inside the park 3 run HR.

Damn that was fun.

• Hook 'Em 2

NLCS, I'm the Braves against the Padres.  I'm up 3 games to 2, but in Game 6 I'm down 6-3 in the 9th.  My 8 and 9 hitters are outs.  Well, shit, guess we're gonna play a 7th game.

Then...

Acuna singles to center then steals 2nd.

Freeman RBI gap double.  Down 6-4.

Ozuna line drive single to right and Freeman scores from 2nd, baaaaarely.  Still down 6-5.

And d'Arneau jacks one to left inches over the left fielder's glove.  7-6 Good Guys.

Just your typical 4-run, 2-out rally.

Blow me, CPU.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/2/2021 at 12:10 PM, Foosters said:

Don't know if anyone is still paying attention, but for those who have not played DD or feel overwhelmed, I'd highly recommend giving it a shot. This year they have made it easier than ever to build a great team without spending any money. 

I got to the point where I could hit decently in DD but now I am back to being utterly hopeless at the plate. I can't fucking time up anything. I'll be late to catch up to the fastball for 5 innings, and then finally start seeing it.... only to have "Early" or "Very early" timing. 

Don't even get me started on fucking sliders.

The only pitch I can mash is the 12-6 curve. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I got to the point where I could hit decently in DD but now I am back to being utterly hopeless at the plate. I can't fucking time up anything. I'll be late to catch up to the fastball for 5 innings, and then finally start seeing it.... only to have "Early" or "Very early" timing. 

Don't even get me started on fucking sliders.

The only pitch I can mash is the 12-6 curve. 

Same on the 12-6 curve...little bit up in the strike zone...GHANDI!

Slider and sinker balls eat me alive