MLB The Show 21

shadow_operative

On 8/24/2021 at 7:57 AM, TornACL said:

I got to the point where I could hit decently in DD but now I am back to being utterly hopeless at the plate. I can't fucking time up anything. I'll be late to catch up to the fastball for 5 innings, and then finally start seeing it.... only to have "Early" or "Very early" timing. 

Don't even get me started on fucking sliders.

The only pitch I can mash is the 12-6 curve. 

I think a lot of it is mental. I can lay off changeups, sliders, and splitters that are juuuuust off the black vs. CPU, but throw me in against a human and I tense up. My discipline disappears. After a few innings though, I usually revert back to my usual self and can play. Its why my record in the 3-inning event games is so abysmal, but my Ranked Seasons record is pretty good. I'm usually putting runs on the board in innings 5-9.

This is also the first year I've really chased the collections, so I've got a stacked lineup with Chipper, Ortiz, and Jackie. Still a bit to go to land Mookie though.

3 minutes ago, Foosters said:

After a few innings though, I usually revert back to my usual self and can play. Its why my record in the 3-inning event games is so abysmal, but my Ranked Seasons record is pretty good. I'm usually putting runs on the board in innings 5-9.

Definitely something to this. Last month I had two straight games where I entered B9 trailing 3-0 and walked it off with a 4 run 9th.

Had one with two outs, nobody on in bottom 9 that finished, walk, HR, single, HR. 

It's like I quit trying and then just started raking.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, TornACL said:

Definitely something to this. Last month I had two straight games where I entered B9 trailing 3-0 and walked it off with a 4 run 9th.

Had one with two outs, nobody on in bottom 9 that finished, walk, HR, single, HR. 

It's like I quit trying and then just started raking.

Yep, don't think, just react.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

never played or even clicked on DD, so i don't even know how it works. any advice for a first timer?

A lot of players are also terrible hitters so first inning give em a lot of sliders etc moving out of the zone. If they wave at everything, repeat. 

When at bat, pray. 

I fucking suck but it's fun. There is nothing better than roping some 3 run bomb late in a game and then the bitch on the other end rage quits.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

i'm in the playoffs in year one of a Cubs franchise mode, and last night i (evidently) got pretty hammered and then played game 1 of the NLCS vs SD and fucked around and threw a no-hitter. 😂 like, apparently i just threw a playoff no-no and then turned the game off and thought nothing of it. not sure if even realized it last night, as i just now saw that it happened when i checked last night's box score, lol. i guess i need to play while drunk more often.

278101E7-614D-4E10-A665-6AEE480EEBCA.png

5C0926B7-28EE-4329-B61B-986399584ECC.png

D88C8897-B04B-42CD-99E9-12315A2FB2A8.png

On 9/3/2021 at 7:51 PM, shadow_operative said:

never played or even clicked on DD, so i don't even know how it works. any advice for a first timer?

Hit up the Team Affinity 3 and Team Affinity 4 programs. Do the Team Affinity4 conquest maps. When you go into DD, click on "programs" and you will see numerous pathways to earn points that will help you get the cards you want. Check out the marketplace and ID cards you may be interested in and do what you need to do to earn them. There are some pretty quick player programs as well. 99 Tim Anderson is pretty easy to earn. I think 99 All Star Acuna is pretty easy to earn as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I am getting bored with my Road to the Show guy so gonna give DD a try as well. 

I did Road to the show for several years in a row. Only mode I touched. Dabbled with DD about 3 years ago and after the first day, its the only mode I've played since. Its highly addicting and rewarding. There's a great thread on the subreddit that walks newcomers through DD as it can be overwhelming and complex. Ill see if I can find it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Here's a guide from reddit from earlier this summer. I wouldn't suggest following to a "T," because there have since been a number of better cards released, but you get the idea.

Conquest maps are good way to earn packs of cards and earn "XP." Earning XP will progress you through the monthly "inning program."

Every month a new "inning program" is released. Earning 350xp before the month ends, leaves you with a choice of three cards to pick.

There are so many ways to earn players that you cannot do it all unless you make this a full time job. I

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

man. the cpu does. not. swing. at anything that's 1/4" off the plate. 0-2 count, 99 mph heater up and in on the black? take? 1-2 count, nasty slider low and away on the black? take. same pitch, just 1/4" more over the plate? foul ball. change up low and in, just off the plate? take. 98 mph up and away on the black? fouled off. slider that hits the middle of the plate? bomb. shit is crazy.

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

man. the cpu does. not. swing. at anything that's 1/4" off the plate. 0-2 count, 99 mph heater up and in on the black? take? 1-2 count, nasty slider low and away on the black? take. same pitch, just 1/4" more over the plate? foul ball. change up low and in, just off the plate? take. 98 mph up and away on the black? fouled off. slider that hits the middle of the plate? bomb. shit is crazy.

Lol fuck you for reminding me of this.  Every damn game this happens to me.

it's really dope and super fun how the game always knows when i'm going to attempt a steal so they either pick me off at first or second by a mile. 👌🏼 i can go 55 games without attempting a steal and the very next time that i click the left trigger i can guarantee you that i get a quick pitch/pitch our/pick off from the pitcher. sooooooo fun and realistic. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/4/2021 at 7:34 PM, shadow_operative said:

i'm in the playoffs in year one of a Cubs franchise mode, and last night i (evidently) got pretty hammered and then played game 1 of the NLCS vs SD and fucked around and threw a no-hitter. 😂 like, apparently i just threw a playoff no-no and then turned the game off and thought nothing of it. not sure if even realized it last night, as i just now saw that it happened when i checked last night's box score, lol. i guess i need to play while drunk more often.

278101E7-614D-4E10-A665-6AEE480EEBCA.png

5C0926B7-28EE-4329-B61B-986399584ECC.png

D88C8897-B04B-42CD-99E9-12315A2FB2A8.png

can confirm, i'm the shit when i pitch while hammered. i don't even know who's at the plate, nor do i care. straight robot pitcher mode homie. 

• Like 1

for anyone here who does franchise mode- do you feel like curveballs are damn near useless against the cpu? ive got guys throwing 102 with huge breaking hooks, and every hitter they face is totally nonplussed with their offerings. if it's 1/4" low they don't swing. ever. and yet they also don't ever get caught looking at a hook, no matter how hard it breaks or high in the sine it lands. i'll go:

4-seam at 100, up and in, 0-1 count

slider at 83, low and away, 0-2

4-seam at 101 that's half an inch high- take, 1-2

sinker low and away, 88, fouled off

slider in, 83, take, 2-2

4-seam, up, 101, fouled off

hwre is where i find myself going, "there is no fucking way that the 8-hole hitter for the pirates is going to touch this 12-6 beauty", and every single time i'm wrong. again, if i start it middle-middle and have it land 1/4" low, he'll take it. if i start it off five inches above the zone and have it drop in, he's going to square that ball for a double.

i like to create pitchers, and i straight up stopped equipping any curveballs because of how useless they are. i'm still really enjoying the game, but it's like the hitters are immune to the curve. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

still playing. still complaining about pitching, lol. pitching in franchise mode somehow feels both a little too easy and way too hard. 

a little too easy: acquiring a dominant stat line for a game, including 10+ k's

way too hard: striking out a single hitter, especially the shitty hitters at the bottom of NL lineups

ive tinkered with the sliders to get it as competitive as possible, but the truth is that i dominate opposing lineups far more than i get roughed up. and yet despite generally having dominant performances from my starters, i'm up here throwing prime pedro stuff like a pitching savant (i. and out, up and down, any pitch in any count, pitches that play off one another, etc), and it takes me 8 pitches to retire some guy batting .171 and hitting 8th for the pirates. and he still won't k, he'll take three balls and foul off three pitches and then line out on a 3-2 breaking ball. so weird.

Edited by shadow_operative

• 4 months later...
On 3/6/2023 at 11:13 AM, shadow_operative said:

anybody still playing this and/or planning on getting the '23 version? i never got '22 after everyone said it was essentially the exact same game with a couple of very minor cosmetic changes.

I played 21 up until a month ago. My wife got me 22 for Christmas, so I’ve been playing it. I do RTTS pretty much only and don’t see a ton of differences. Some changes with perks and the announcers are new. Probably wasn’t worth the $50. 

Regardless, I came looking for a thread for MLB on the off chance that someone was up to date on 23 and had any intel in regard to what would be new and if it is worth buying. 

On 3/11/2023 at 10:56 AM, closetojumping said:

I played 21 up until a month ago. My wife got me 22 for Christmas, so I’ve been playing it. I do RTTS pretty much only and don’t see a ton of differences. Some changes with perks and the announcers are new. Probably wasn’t worth the $50. 

Regardless, I came looking for a thread for MLB on the off chance that someone was up to date on 23 and had any intel in regard to what would be new and if it is worth buying. 

I know they changed the throwing meter, made it more difficult on a hard play to have a good throw. And then the same revamp swings bullshit they say every year

• 2 months later...