DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

Ivanka Trump received blowback for this tweet below from yesterday. The Interagency Task force is composed of 15 departments within the Administration.

State Department, Treasury, Defense, Justice, Interior, Ag, Labor, HHS, Transportation, Education, Homeland Security, EEOC, and a few more. I do not know where Immigration and Border Patrol fit into this scenario, but the tweet below Ivanka's is troubling.

The immigrants will not be allowed to access the information used in the cases against them because it is classified.

I watched a little of the C-Span coverage rebroadcast the other evening of the inquiry into the deportation of sick children. Ken Cuccinelli (Acting Head of Citizenship and Immigration Services) was being questioned regarding his decision to end the program (allowing them to stay). He is currently rumored to be Trump's nominee for Head of Homeland Security, one of the Departments in the Interagency Task Force above. So, a promotion and access to order more deportations. His appointment is not a shoo-in, but look for an end run around that process.

Just now, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

so what is the plan for the ~700k people this will affect? just deport them all? how much will that cost? 

Naah.  No need to deport them.  Just make them suffer.  Most of them are currently employed, or in college.  So, end their employment.  End their college careers.  Make life miserable for them.  That's pretty much the end game.

That's the fucking end game for the entire GOP platform these days: be cruel, make life miserable for other people.

We are a shitty, shitty country.

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

so what is the plan for the ~700k people this will affect? just deport them all? how much will that cost? 

The plan is cruelty.  Have them live in fear of deportation, and deport a few of them, and create a permanent underclass of the rest who can't enroll in college, get good jobs, legally drive, etc.  And an added bonus of more cheap labor for the Trump Doral.

16 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I haven't really read any constitutional analysis on this case, but what's the constitutional argument for preserving DACA? 

My recollection is that it lacks due process.  There was a process for removing adults, but kids was a grey area.  Obama filled the gap with DACA, which provided kids with protection.  That gave them status.  To simply reverse it means they lose certain rights without any recourse. 

Not a lawyer, but that was my understanding. Someone can correct me.  

The problem is that legislation was presented twice to Trump about how to resolve the DACA kids since congress understands it wasn't meant as a permanent solution, but Trump refused to take it up both times. McConnell probably won't either because he is an evil human being and should keel over and make the world a better place.

lol that’s a lie

Hell...let’s pretend it isn’t.

29.5% of Americans have an arrest record (that percentage includes both convictions and felony arrests with no conviction).

Presuming his number of around 54,000 is correct...there are 700,000 DACA recipients.

So....7.7% have an arrest record. Thats about 1/4 the rate of Americans as a whole. DACA recipients are much more likely to be good citizens than a randomly selected American, including the Trump base.

Thanks for making the argument for us, DOTUS. I’d much rather have a DACA recipient living next to me than a Trump supporter. They’re MUCH less likely to be a criminal. And they’re almost certainly much MORE likely to be gainfully employed and contributing to society.

Statistics are a bitch, you fucking simpleton shitsmear.

• Like 4

I mean, if Uncle Lou says it then it has to be true. Lou Dobbs is another in a long line of punchable faced conservative pundits who constantly look like they're trying to work a large, difficult shit out of their perpetually puckered assholes. Others include Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity. 

9 hours ago, mdmost said:

I mean, if Uncle Lou says it then it has to be true. Lou Dobbs is another in a long line of punchable faced conservative pundits who constantly look like they're trying to work a large, difficult shit out of their perpetually puckered assholes. Others include Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity. 

We also shouldn't forget Pat Buchanan's early role in all this.

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

29.5% of Americans have an arrest record (that percentage includes both convictions and felony arrests with no conviction).

Presuming his number of around 54,000 is correct...there are 700,000 DACA recipients.

So....7.7% have an arrest record. Thats about 1/4 the rate of Americans as a whole. DACA recipients are much more likely to be good citizens than a randomly selected American, including the Trump base.

Thanks for making the argument for us, DOTUS. I’d much rather have a DACA recipient living next to me than a Trump supporter. They’re MUCH less likely to be a criminal. And they’re almost certainly much MORE likely to be gainfully employed and contributing to society.

Trump reacts to numbers the same way Kent Hovind does: absolutely zero awareness, no functional relationship with or appreciation for reality, zero comprehension for any comparison. Seriously, just flash the number 54,000 to him and say it's related to anything and he'll be absolutely amazed.

"Hey Donald, the Earth is 54,000 years old"

"Omg, that's amazing, most people probably don't know it's THAT MANY!"

Edited by hpslugga
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, CowboyFred said:

lol that’s a lie

Actually, that is the exact number reported by USCIS. However, it is somewhat misleading because all of those arrests occurred prior to their application for DACA and were taken into consideration before they were ultimately approved.

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You can take this even further. The number you are quoting (29.5%) is from the FBI. The FBI generally only keeps track of felony arrests, and there isn't a single source that tracks non-felony arrests across the entire US population. The USCIS report, on the other hand, includes both felony AND non-felony arrests. The difference in stats are likely far more significant than you stated. 

Another fun fact about the USCIS report is that they also stated the number of arrests occurring AFTER they were approved for DACA. They have an arrest rate of 1.1% (again, including non-felony arrests). By the numbers, as a whole, Dreamers are practically model citizens. 

• Like 1

What? Are we like the Germans in 1939? Is that who we are? Fuuuck. I don't know what to do but something or I am those people who did nothing when they came for the Jews.  At one time, we were better than this. We were good people but now we are complicit. 

Edited by burntorangebongos
  • Like 1

On the prior page at the first of November, I posted a tweet from Adam Klasfield about a private contractor that was concerned that the Executive Office for Immigration Review (they oversee the Immigration Courts) database was error-ridden and that entire records had disappeared from the batches of data. Some of that was resolved later, but there were and are missing records-- the amount has not been able to be firmly established as far as I can tell.

So, yes, we are not only like the Germans, we have now taken "show me your papers" and turned it into "you don't have papers and you don't have a case and you don't have a baby."

• Like 2

This ruling did not get a lot of attention due to everything else, but it is a positive even if not a large one. This battle is not over. More story at link.

https://apnews.com/1e3943f0b4f64acfa01f524aeaab9bde

Arizona border activist acquitted of harboring immigrants

By ASTRID GALVAN

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) — An activist was quickly acquitted Wednesday on charges he illegally harbored two Central American immigrants at a southern Arizona camp operated by a humanitarian group.

The verdict by a jury in U.S. District Court came after jurors deliberated for about two hours in what was the second trial for Scott Warren. A mistrial was declared last June after a jury deadlocked on harboring charges.

Warren was stoic after the verdict was read. “The government failed in its attempt to criminalize basic human kindness,” Warren said outside of court.

The jury’s quick decision came in contrast to Warren’s last trial, when jurors deliberated for several days before calling it quits over a lack of consensus.

Greg Kuykendall, an attorney who defended Warren, said the new jury followed the law carefully.

“They parsed the evidence,” he said. “They paid rapt attention while we were putting on our defense and while the prosecution was putting on its case, and they decided that humanitarian aid is not always a crime, the way the government wanted it to be.”

Warren, 37, testified that neutrality guides his work near the border and denied he has ever helped migrants hide or instructed them how to avoid authorities.

Do you remember when I dropped a few articles about the tent cities springing up along the Rio Grande, specifically in Matamoros? The weather is growing colder. The evening temperatures are in the fifties, and parents are growing desperate. No schools for their children, living in tents, but scared to return to their home countries. Sending your child away in the hopes that they will live.

So there were 600 students, of which 250 were enrolled illegally since their visas had expired, but they felt this university made them legitimate again.   But since the institution was bogus, so then  were their visas?     So what about the other 350?  Were/are they legitimately enrolled in a sham place that will give them credit equitable to Trump U?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Drunk sorry.... but really why isn’t this a bigger story? Legit question. What cause media and people not to care? Hell even Latinos I bring shit up to don’t really know or have an opinion

Which one? The scam school or not giving a damn about splitting families?

I guess we're numb. Every day there is a new reason to be pissed off at the rampant BS. Who do I call? Where do I send money to tell ICE to quit being such unmitigated assholes? 

I don't know. 

I told the stock broker to invest in stocks that deal in booze. It seems like a safe bet. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cactusflinthead said:

I guess we're numb. Every day there is a new reason to be pissed off at the rampant BS. Who do I call? Where do I send money to tell ICE to quit being such unmitigated assholes?

Do you remember "Do They Know It's Christmas?"  and Live-Aid? The funds funneled to Ethiopia did not necessarily end up providing relief to the starving citizenry, it did start a dialogue on humanitarian relief and western governments and studies of the traveling in circles of desperate refugees from war and famine as they sought relief for their children.

Now, with the influence of Putin and other despots, that awareness and concern is extinguished. "Take care of our own!" the nationalist citizenry in America cry. But we don't, because "phones," or "brown skin," or "lazy," or some other self-rationalization. "Think of the children," said with a sarcastic voice is the rejoinder when one tries to bring up the topic in conversation, effectively shutting down any discussion on policy or compassion. The irony of helicopter parents becoming frigid with disdain and dislike for others misfortune is a symptom and a feature.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
mistake
  • Like 1

There are good people among us. Rest of article in link.

https://www.houstoniamag.com/articles/2019/12/1/these-local-lawyers-are-helping-kids-at-the-border

These Local Lawyers Are Helping Kids at the Border

Last February a group of eight attorneys traveled to Harlingen to meet with dozens of boys from Central America, all between 14 and 17 years old, who arrived by the busload seeking help.

The lawyers—volunteers from the Houston-based Children’s Immigration Law Academy—set up in the offices of the group they were assisting, ProBAR, a Harlingen-based pro bono asylum-representation nonprofit that suddenly had been tasked with meeting the legal-service needs of 4,000 unaccompanied migrant children.

Houston lawyer Liz Mendoza had gotten involved in the effort the month prior, after spotting a call for volunteers for CILA on a listserv she belonged to. The tent city in Tornillo, Texas [near El Paso] has closed and there has been an influx of children into other facilities around the country, the message read. Many of the recently arrived children are being sent to the converted Wal-Mart facility in Brownsville known as Casa Padre and other facilities in the Rio Grande Valley.

------

Guatemalans now make up over half of all migrant children crossing into America. One boy Mendoza spoke with, a 14-year-old from the country, had watched his father get murdered by a corrupt police officer who was working for a neighbor that wanted the family’s land, after which the neighbor swooped in and took it. A few months later the boy’s mother passed away, and he was left in charge of multiple siblings.

“He was facing threats himself by the same neighbor,” says Mendoza, “and now he was the oldest person in the family who was responsible for all the other kids, so he had to leave. And he was only 14—14 years old!”

The boy had been in an Office of Refugee Resettlement shelter for less than a month as he waited for a family member already living in the States to take him in. As they spoke, Mendoza gave the boy a tissue, put her hand on his, and squeezed it. “I remember him kind of being a little hesitant to speak, and then he just got very emotional remembering his father and mother—he was now an orphan.”

Mendoza made a note on his paperwork indicating a potential asylum claim. Nevertheless, he had an uphill battle ahead.

On 11/27/2019 at 9:47 AM, wildcat09 said:

Abolish ICE should be the moderate compromise position that centrists support in lieu of trying ICE agents in the Hague for crimes against humanity.

i said it upthread somewhere - ICE needs to be abolished because the institutional knowledge it possesses is bad.  that's not something that gets fixed with a change in the administration (this setup happened during the obama admin).  that's not something that an afternoon seminar on the 5th friday in february fixes.  it's a deeply corrupt organization and needs to be done away with, with no eligibility for rehire. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

it's a deeply corrupt organization and needs to be done away with, with no eligibility for rehire. 

Not only that, it possesses precisely zero upside that could anywhere near offset said deep corruption, and only a token few of the most extreme barking lunatics would even try to argue that they have. 

Edited by hpslugga

Although he passed away in May, it wouldn't surprise me to see this becoming an ever greater tragedy than it already is and we won't know because of the fluidity with which ICE deports and transports immigrants. The camps in Matamoros where people wait for their court dates are crowded and not very sanitary or protected from the elements. If a child dies in the camps, where is it reported? Mexico? With flu season underway in Texas, are any of the children being detained offered vaccines?