DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

The 43-year-old Cuban man had spent five months in immigration detention waiting for a judge to hear his asylum claim. As his time at Richwood dragged on, he barely answered questions from security or medical staff, who noted his “withdrawn emotional state.” He refused to eat for four days. 

The day after his death, 20 other detainees carried out what they say was a peaceful protest. They wrote “Justice for Roylan” on their white T-shirts, sat down in the cafeteria and refused to eat. Guards swooped in and attacked, beating one of them so severely he was taken to a hospital, according to letters written by 10 detainees that were obtained by the USA TODAY Network and interviews with two detainees’ relatives. 

For the past year, much of the nation’s attention on immigration issues has focused on how the Trump administration polices the southern border and how Border Patrol agents treat migrants arriving there. But away from that spotlight there is a separate detention system overseen by ICE that has continued to grow with far less scrutiny. It is now a $3 billion network of 221 facilities, the largest of which are operated by private companies under government contract. Combined, those facilities detain more than 50,000 women, men and children who wait months or years for immigration court proceedings.

Two-thirds of detainees have no criminal records,  ICE records show. About 26% are detained solely because they are requesting asylum in the U.S. That is why ICE policy mandates that immigration detention be civil in nature - an administrative hold on detainees as they await deportation or their next hearing - as opposed to a punitive, corrective prison system. But the USA TODAY Network review found that the ICE system operates in many ways like a prison system; detainees wear red and orange jumpsuits that sometimes read “inmate” on the back.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/nation/2019/12/19/ice-asylum-under-trump-exclusive-look-us-immigration-detention/4381404002/

1 hour ago, HenryJames said:

Couldn't listen to more than 15 seconds of that. I would love to be put in cage with that fucking pencil neck. Not that it matters but that dude looks more ethnic than everyone in my family and we're Mexican. 

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

if Trump wins in 2020, they're going after first generation Americans born to illegals

Things are bad enough as it is. No need to spread fear. There is zero way citizenship can be revoked on a massive scale. 

that said, let’s not risk it. Get the fat bastard out of office 

Miller will have a stacked Supreme Court and probably a senate majority behind him. He's going after birthright citizenship first, and has a good chance of getting it. IMO, he's going after first generation US Citizens next. 

Edited by tx 3 putt

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2019 at 10:59 PM, F250 said:

Couldn't listen to more than 15 seconds of that. I would love to be put in cage with that fucking pencil neck. Not that it matters but that dude looks more ethnic than everyone in my family and we're Mexican. 

A fair number of White Supremacists look like they might not be all that white. Maybe they want to be whiter, but don't know how to buy a Volvo and listen to NPR in it.

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she

With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!” And the Millers and Cuccinellis of the world will bar your entry through it if you are not "their kind."

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Goredho said:

Stumbled on a Texas county election results map recently and realized I had not correlated the manufactured crisis on our southern border with the GOP getting pantsed at the ballot box there.  Gotta curb that MS-13 voting block!

EBD24-E0-A-D76-B-4-A77-9-D48-7-C36659-BB

15 minutes ago, elfenix said:

Kenedy county is blue? I know there's only about 23 people there and 0 gas stations but that's still weird.

Those results were from the 2016 Presidential election. It went back red in 2018 in the Senate race. Decent trade off for Hays, Williamson, Tarrant, Nueces, Brewster, and Jefferson counties though.

1200px-Texas_Senate_Election_Results_by_County%2C_2018.svg.png

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Those results were from the 2016 Presidential election. It went back red in 2018 in the Senate race. Decent trade off for Hays, Williamson, Tarrant, Nueces, Brewster, and Jefferson counties though.

1200px-Texas_Senate_Election_Results_by_County%2C_2018.svg.png

Yeah, my point was that when I looked at such maps before, it was before the crisis at the border gotta build a wall movement.  Looking at both maps really drives home the point that while the GOP terrifies the stupid with this:

1-E8-E2-C30-970-B-4693-A48-C-F0-B8-DF7-B

543471-CE-2-F75-4548-9-FAD-1-E9-E49148-E

The real “crisis” they are fighting is this:

DF9-EFCDE-A323-4-A51-9663-371-AB64-DBAE8

E21-B0484-EEE5-4-E8-B-BAAF-B6-CA8-F93732

• Like 1

Yep. They've pretty much lost everything south of the Nueces, west of the Pecos, the big cities, and are in the middle of losing the suburbs (edit: suburban moms generally don't like to see the GOP shitting on other moms and their kids).

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 1

And the people on the border see it for what it is.  Believe it or not, those people absolutely SUPPORT the government in the task of dealing with dangerous smugglers of people, drugs, etc.  They don't like armed folks traipsing through their property, they believe these things are harmful.

But they also see the current admin's efforts for EXACTLY what they are: good old fashioned ethnic-based xenophobia, using "security" as an excuse....and they know that "wall" is a waste of time and money, and see our current efforts geared almost entirely at poor brown people, with little additional effectiveness against any bad hombres.  So, when they want the gov't to do something, but what the gov't delivers is xenophobia wrapped in ineffective tactics and huge wastes of billions....folks on the border ain't stupid.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

@washparkhorn thank you for posting that, the word 'tense' in describing the situation there seems inadequate.

This is from a former NY Times reporter:

the US helped dismantle it so i doubt the US would push to keep it

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/02/05/trump-republican-lawmakers-weaken-u-n-anti-corruption-commission-guatemala-jimmy-morales-white-house-putin/

Oh hell no. Kelly got grilled on that during his hearing. Senators were asking about that, showed the data about the low crime, etc. I think that was one of the reasons Kamala Harris voted against him was he wouldn't give her a straight answer regarding using the info in the paperwork to deport them.

Brisket, I hate that you are right. I hate it.