DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

14 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

stephen miller is an evil man on a mission. no idea why anyone thought he was going to give daca's a path to citizenship 

It is mind boggling. He has had many advantages in life, but he seeks to administer some strange sadistic retribution and, as far as I can tell, it has been that way since he was much younger.

It is mind boggling. He has had many advantages in life, but he seeks to administer some strange sadistic retribution and, as far as I can tell, it has been that way since he was much younger.

Because some people are just evil. Evil is real. It’s not rational, but it’s very real. And it is in power and in control of this country, right now.

If you want to remember how America died I highly recommend Immigration Nation on Netflix. Feel horrible series of the year. I don't mean this towards individuals, people we've lost, people who have suffered as a result of this plague and our inability to even kinda stop it, but we as a nation deserve it. We deserve consequences for who we have become.

• Hook 'Em 1

Rapists?? In my immigration agency???

https://www.propublica.org/article/ice-guards-systematically-sexually-assault-detainees-in-an-el-paso-detention-center-lawyers-say#988657

Guards in an immigrant detention center in El Paso sexually assaulted and harassed inmates in a “pattern and practice” of abuse, according to a complaint filed by a Texas advocacy group urging the local district attorney and federal prosecutors to conduct a criminal investigation.

The allegations, detailed in a filing first obtained by ProPublica and The Texas Tribune, maintain that guards systematically assaulted at least three people in a facility overseen by Immigration and Customs Enforcement — often in areas of the detention center not visible to security cameras. The guards told victims that no one would believe them because footage did not exist and the harassment involved officers as high-ranking as a lieutenant.

According to the complaint filed with the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Inspector General and shared with prosecutors, several guards “forcibly” kissed and touched the intimate parts of at least one woman. She faces deportation next week — meaning investigators could lose a key witness. Her attorneys have requested that immigration officials pause her deportation pending a review of the matter.

The woman said in a telephone interview that she would rather return to Mexico, even though she is in danger there. She said she worried about being targeted in the detention center for speaking up about the abuse.

“It’s going to get worse now,” she said. “I can’t handle this anymore.”

Since the complaint was filed Wednesday, two more women, including one who is currently detained in the El Paso facility and one who was previously held there, have come forward with abuse allegations. At least one other woman was deported after a guard assaulted her, detainees told lawyers.

The woman who remains in the El Paso detention center and is set to be deported is a 35-year-old mother from Mexico who was charged with a drug-related crime and illegally entering the country.

During her 11 months in the ICE facility, she told lawyers that two guards assaulted her. In November, an officer touched her private areas and kissed her while she was in an area not visible to cameras. The assault happened as she was walking back from the medical unit to her barrack.

Days later, the guard did so again.

“If she behaved,” he told her, according to the filing, “he would help her be released.”

He stared at her through a window while she used the bathroom.

When she complained to a captain, she said he dismissed her. She said she did not see that officer for several months but that he later returned, becoming “increasingly aggressive and intimidating.”

“She has lived in constant panic that he may do something against her again,” according to the document.

The woman said another officer also assaulted her at least twice in a camera “blind spot,” touching and kissing her. These attacks also happened when she was returning from the medical unit to her cell.

A lieutenant passed messages through her to other detained women.

If she reported them, an officer warned, “No one would believe her.”

Edited by Captainant

6 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

The cruelty is the point.

If Jews were currently fleeing dangerous conditions and seeking refuge here in the US (I mean, when has THAT ever happened?  What a wacky, far-fetched scenario!), this regime would absolutely, 100%, serve them fucking pork.

Because, as always, the cruelty indeed is the point.

• Like 1

If Jews were currently fleeing dangerous conditions and seeking refuge here in the US (I mean, when has THAT ever happened?  What a wacky, far-fetched scenario!), this regime would absolutely, 100%, serve them fucking pork.

TDCJ has always kinda done this. If you’re Jewish or Muslim, you’re not forced to eat pork but the alternative is just a double serving of whatever non-meat item was being served.

TDCJ has always kinda done this. If you’re Jewish or Muslim, you’re not forced to eat pork but the alternative is just a double serving of whatever non-meat item was being served.

13 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

They are serving them pre-plated meals now.  They can't get other items, non-meat or otherwise, to replace the pork.  

49 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

They are serving them pre-plated meals now.  They can't get other items, non-meat or otherwise, to replace the pork.  

Sure, yeah.  They were completely surprised by the religious limitations of the people they are jailing.   

10 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Sure, yeah.  They were completely surprised by the religious limitations of the people they are jailing.   

I wrote it unclearly--"They" referred to immigration detainees.

This is different than before when they could just get additional vegetables/sides in the cafeteria, and just skip the meat when it was pork.  It's now prepackaged, and the detainees have no choice in what food they are served.

Those running the facility should have Halal, or at the very least non-pork or even vegetarian, options available. This is disgraceful.

• Hook 'Em 1

texsa pork producers have a twatter account (though, not particularly active in the last year - guess they ran out of pig facts) and a proper office in austin.  texas poultry producers have a house in round rock off mcneill.  i'm guessing one is much more powerful than the other.   so maybe it's not that easy.

• 4 weeks later...

‘Like an Experimental Concentration Camp’: Whistleblower Complaint Alleges Mass Hysterectomies at ICE Detention Center

Multiple women came forward to tell Project South about what they perceived to be the inordinate rate at which women in ICDC were subjected to hysterectomies – a surgical operation in which all or part of the uterus is removed. Additionally, many of the immigrant women who underwent the procedure were reportedly “confused” when asked to explain why they had the surgery, with one detainee likening their treatment to prisoners in concentration camps.

“Recently, a detained immigrant told Project South that she talked to five different women detained at ICDC between October and December 2019 who had a hysterectomy done,” the complaint stated. “When she talked to them about the surgery, the women ‘reacted confused when explaining why they had one done.’ The woman told Project South that it was as though the women were ‘trying to tell themselves it’s going to be OK.’”

“When I met all these women who had had surgeries, I thought this was like an experimental concentration camp. It was like they’re experimenting with our bodies,” the detainee said.

According to Wooten, ICDC consistently used a particular gynecologist – outside the facility – who almost always opted to remove all or part of the uterus of his female detainee patients.

“Everybody he sees has a hysterectomy—just about everybody,” Wooten said, adding that, “everybody’s uterus cannot be that bad.”

“We’ve questioned among ourselves like goodness he’s taking everybody’s stuff out…That’s his specialty, he’s the uterus collector. I know that’s ugly…is he collecting these things or something…Everybody he sees, he’s taking all their uteruses out or he’s taken their tubes out. What in the world.”

Wooten also confirmed that many of the detained women have told her that they didn’t understand why they were being forced to have the procedure, explaining that some of the nurses obtained their consent “by simply googling Spanish.”

The complaint details several accounts from detainees, including one woman who was not properly anesthetized during the procedure and heard the aforementioned doctor tell the nurse he had mistakenly removed the wrong ovary, resulting in her losing all reproductive ability. Another said she was scheduled for the procedure but when she questioned why it was necessary, she was given at least three completely different answers.

We are the fucking baddies. Medically sterilizing the undesirables. Fuck me, we deserve to burn

5 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Those are serious charges alleged by a website I've never heard of before. 

"some of the nurses obtained their consent 'by simply googling Spanish.'"

What does that even mean?

I'm going to need more to go on. 

Yeah, I need more info.  The allegation -- IF TRUE -- is horrific.  Like, "crimes against humanity" horrific.  So, I'm going to need more to go on here.

4 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Those are serious charges alleged by a website I've never heard of before. 

"some of the nurses obtained their consent 'by simply googling Spanish.'"

What does that even mean?

I'm going to need more to go on. 

This is the actual whistleblower complaint filed with OIG, and its backing information is primary-sourced interviews from migrant women held there, along with a nurse at ICDC (operated by a for-profit prison company) who is seeking whistle blower protections. Pages 18-20 is the portion specific to the hysterectomy procedures

23 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I'm really, really hoping this is bullshit.  Like, really.  Today has not been the best mental health day.

This.

Will I be surprised if it turns out to be true?  Not in the slightest, because it would be entirely on-brand.

That said, do I want it to be just some allegations, with some reasonable explanations for what is alleged?  ABSOLUTELY.  I never, ever, want MY country to be committing crimes against humanity.  F politics, F teams, F how bad this could make the evil regime look -- this is my country, and I never, ever want us to be doing goddamned Nazi shit.

I really hope that we're not.  What we have right here are some witness accounts that tell part of a story.  It's worth investigating for sure.  But I'm going to need more than just the very incomplete picture we have thus far.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.

Will I be surprised if it turns out to be true?  Not in the slightest, because it would be entirely on-brand.

That said, do I want it to be just some allegations, with some reasonable explanations for what is alleged?  ABSOLUTELY.  I never, ever, want MY country to be committing crimes against humanity.  F politics, F teams, F how bad this could make the evil regime look -- this is my country, and I never, ever want us to be doing goddamned Nazi shit.

I really hope that we're not.  What we have right here are some witness accounts that tell part of a story.  It's worth investigating for sure.  But I'm going to need more than just the very incomplete picture we have thus far.

Yup. But this fits in with everything ICE has done to date.  It's not even so much that I think trump or people high up at DHS wanted this or were even aware of it.  I think they're evil fucks, but I'm not sure on a transactional level what this gets them.  But you spend years demonizing people, calling them animals and vermin, having them imprisoned by people who think they're vermin, don't spend any money or effort taking care of them.  You wind up with a system ripe for abuse and for abuse medical "professionals" to get away with heinous shit.

6 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Yup. But this fits in with everything ICE has done to date.  It's not even so much that I think trump or people high up at DHS wanted this or were even aware of it.  I think they're evil fucks, but I'm not sure on a transactional level what this gets them.  But you spend years demonizing people, calling them animals and vermin, having them imprisoned by people who think they're vermin, don't spend any money or effort taking care of them.  You wind up with a system ripe for abuse and for abuse medical "professionals" to get away with heinous shit.

My first instinct was to question whether ICE is "Nazi enough" at this point in time to carry out such despicable cruelty. I thought, "surely not, there is no way that depth of cruelty would be tolerated."

Then I looked at it from a different angle. If an organization like ICE were soliciting doctors to come take care of detainees, then hypothetically speaking, would a psychopathic doctor be likely to volunteer? And if there were a lone psychopathic doctor performing medically unnecessary hysterectomies at an ICE camp, how would I expect ICE to react?

Let's put ourselves in the deplorable shoes of an ICE agent that notices that the doctor seems to be performing an awful lot of hysterectomies. If he's doing something wrong and gets caught, then he alone bears all the responsibility. You have all the plausible deniability of the the doctor's credentials shielding you. You aren't really required to THINK about whether this is a bad thing or not. You can just let the doctor keep doing his doctor thing.

Compartmentalization is a bitch.

Georgia doctor who forcibly sterilized detained women has been identified

GENDER JUSTICEIMMIGRATION

Exclusive: Georgia doctor who forcibly sterilized detained women has been identified

A new lawsuit alleges the doctor performed unwanted hysterectomies on women being detained by ICE.

TINA VASQUEZ ▸ SEPTEMBER 15TH, 2020

Under the Trump administration, reproductive injustice has run rampant inside the federal immigration system—stretching far beyond the family separation policy at the border. A complaint filed yesterday sheds light on a new atrocity: Women detained at the Irwin County Detention Center (ICDC) in Georgia have allegedly been sterilized without their consent. The attorneys behind the lawsuit would not confirm the identity of the doctor referenced in the complaint, but Prism has learned, according to a source familiar with the situation, it is gynecologist Mahendra Amin, based in Douglas, Georgia. The doctor, also an immigrant, is affiliated with Coffee Regional Medical Center and Irwin County Hospital in Georgia.

The organizations Project South, Georgia Detention Watch, Georgia Latino Alliance for Human Rights, and South Georgia Immigrant Support Network filed the complaint on behalf of immigrants detained inside of ICDC, which is operated by private prison company LaSalle Corrections. The organizations allege that five women were sterilized at the facility between October and December 2019.

According to the complaint, it appears as if detention center officials transfer women to an outside gynecologist, now believed to be Amin, and that detained women told Project South they do not trust the doctor.

Dawn Wooten, a licensed practical nurse employed by ICDC, has emerged as a whistleblower.

“I’ve had several inmates tell me that they’ve been to see the doctor and they’ve had hysterectomies and they don’t know why they went or why they’re going,” the nurse said in the complaint, noting that other ICDC nurses also expressed concern about the gynecologist, whom she referred to as “the uterus collector.”

It is unclear if Amin is financially benefiting from the procedures. The gynecologist was once a co-defendant in a lawsuit in which he and other doctors were ordered to pay more than half a million dollars to resolve allegations that they caused false claims to be submitted to Medicare and Medicaid. The nature of the doctor’s current agreement with ICE and ICDC is also unclear. ICE did not respond to Prism’s request for comment regarding the doctor, and the gynecologist’s receptionist told Prism he is not commenting to the media at this time.

Even on the lower end of the cost scale, a hysterectomy can cost thousands of dollars and both ICE and the private companies that contract with the agency to oversee its detention centers notoriously provide dangerous and substandard medical care to cut costs and maximize profits.

While the motive of the doctor is unclear, a detained woman who befriended those who had hysterectomies performed on them told Project South the detention center is “experimenting” with their bodies.

Edited by Captainant