DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

7 hours ago, Captainant said:

I made the mistake of reading some twitter replies on that thread, and wow. The gomers are 100000% convinced it's an open border bill. Absolutely incredible how far out the right wing of the political spectrum is camped out

It doesn’t matter. Mitch killed it. Even Lankford is going to vote against cloture OF HIS OWN BILL. The senate GOP caved to Trump

• Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Trump is an uncontrolled cancer.  Unless he dies soon, we're fucked.  He doesn't even have to be in office and he controls the GQP.  

Ayup. The justice systems failure to quickly and appropriately punish Trump is breathtaking. It's astounding that we are more than THREE YEARS past the date of his nationally televised crimes, have been getting more and more evidence of his intent to insurrect, and he STILL has not faced a single goddamn criminal trial. 

It's just an absolute failure of our justice system and lays bare our tiered justice system. 

That failure fuels the instability in our political system that makes things so goddamn untenable. Trump should not be leading the fucking republican party and guiding policy. He's still in control of our legislative process. 

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 hours ago, bolverk said:

It was mostly portrayed as a novelty that China is the fastest-growing population of migrants (most Americans still have the stereotype), along with many other far-flung Asian nations, and how easily they're getting through a specific hole in the fence that hasn't been patched because Congress hasn't allocated funds for it.

There were interviews with Chinese migrants citing China's bad economy and Xi's more authoritarian approach to governing as reasons for a huge increase in Chinese asylum seekers over the last couple of years. It was noted that many of them were middle-class with roller bags who got specific instructions from Tik Tok accounts on how to get through the gap in the fence.

Negatives mentioned:

• The guy who was fed up with people using his property to cross with mentions of tents, trash, and burning wood. He also recounted a story about how he shot a gun in the air and was arrested for it after telling people not to burn brush/trees on his property.
  • The app that's supposed to be used to make appointments for asylum seekers at designated border crossings is glitchy, creating a disorderly process so they pay a guy $400 to drive them 60 miles from the crossing at Tijuana to find this spot.

Other items that could be interpreted negatively include the fact that 55% of Chinese are granted asylum while only 14% of all seekers get it. Also, China often doesn't take their people back once they pursue it and are left in limbo.

My final comment is that it's telling that you have an expectation of positive/negative presentations in news broadcasts. Maybe start looking for better sources of information to consume that don't take editorial stances.

Thanks for the summary. 

As far as expecting there to be a slant on news broadcasts, there don’t have to editorial stances taken.  For this story here are a couple options. 

Increasing numbers of Chinese middle class entering illegally. 

Positive framing- they’re skilled workers, yay that’s just what we need in our country. 

Negative framing- China is our biggest adversary and there’s many illegal, undocumented people from there entering our country every day.  

A good amount of skepticism towards media is warranted. Everyone has biases, including news reporters and producers. 

What are your favorite news sources?

Edited by Boss Hogg

13 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

We shouldn't be turning away anyone from the middle class, regardless of their country of origin. They are educated and have the skills we need.

Most Chinese and Venezuelans are in this boat (sorry...)

As a matter of public policy, I broadly agree.

But right now, the American Republic faces an existential crisis from Trump and the GQP.  Seeing off that threat is Priority 1.  So if putting a few middle-class citizens of Communist China into a detention camp in Mexico to cool their heels for 6-12 months is the necessary price of saving American democracy, then I'm pretty fucking willing to pay it.

spacer.png

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Shut up, you treasonous cunt.  This is exactly who they were when you decided to go all-in with them many moons ago.  You don't get to bitch about it now.

But she’s wearing a sombrero now!  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

Sorry Latino voters, if you’re dumb enough to vote for it, don’t start crying when you’re rounded up regardless of your legal status or being born here. “But he was supposed to round up the other ones, not me”

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Sorry Latino voters, if you’re dumb enough to vote for it, don’t start crying when you’re rounded up regardless of your legal status or being born here. “But he was supposed to round up the other ones, not me”

This sentiment sucks.

Dont get me wrong, I get it, but still.

Edited by hobbes2702

I can only imagine the cognitive conflicts going through one of my classmates mind. Very wealthy Latino entrepreneur from Edinburgh that told me he supports Abbott’s bussing programs but at the same time he also volunteers at local nonprofits that helping these migrants. Guy is proud of the valley going purple. I get the Democrats were corrupt in that area but  supporting Maga types confuses me. 

34 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

This sentiment sucks.

Dont get me wrong, I get it, but still.

Sad thing is that it happened already. People who voted Trump who were married to immigrants who were shocked some of them were put into deportation proceedings. “But he wasn’t supposed to go after people like my spouse!”

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/04/05/us/undocumented-husband-deported/index.html

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

21 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Nevermind the hate part of it, but the logistics alone make this such a silly threat. 

This might be the one thing Stephen Miller has a legit plan to do

13 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

stephen miller has it all worked out. im sure he’ll issue orders, round them up - dead or alive

He’s had 4 years to figure it out. I believe it

• Rage+1 1

11 hours ago, YChang said:

I can only imagine the cognitive conflicts going through one of my classmates mind. Very wealthy Latino entrepreneur from Edinburgh that told me he supports Abbott’s bussing programs but at the same time he also volunteers at local nonprofits that helping these migrants. Guy is proud of the valley going purple. I get the Democrats were corrupt in that area but  supporting Maga types confuses me. 

The bussing encourages more illegal immigration, tell him that

Give the national guard power to be immigration officers. Order them to go back to their communities and round up people they suspect. Use local sheriffs, they know their counties. Target everyone that over stayed visas …

Someone post the article from the atlantic

Edited by tx 3 putt

On 2/10/2024 at 12:22 PM, Biff Tannen said:

Nevermind the hate part of it, but the logistics alone make this such a silly threat. 

The impossible logistics of deporting millions of Jews from Germany are a large part of the reason why the Holocaust happened. So I wouldn't describe the threat as "silly." 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TX National Guard getting in on the backing of fascism at the border

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2024/03/01/guard-officials-probing-texas-generals-appearance-at-trump-rally/

The fuck fuck games are going to be around "well state guard members aren't subject to FEDERAL rules!!!" as states continue to assert their """states rights""" to be as hateful and cruel as possible

25 minutes ago, Captainant said:

TX National Guard getting in on the backing of fascism at the border

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2024/03/01/guard-officials-probing-texas-generals-appearance-at-trump-rally/

The fuck fuck games are going to be around "well state guard members aren't subject to FEDERAL rules!!!" as states continue to assert their """states rights""" to be as hateful and cruel as possible

National Guard Bureau officials confirmed Friday they have received multiple queries on Suelzer’s appearance with Trump and are reviewing the incident. Air Force officials referred all questions to the Texas Military Department, which has not issued any public statements on the matter and did not return requests for comment.

Yes, I'm sure they'll get right on disciplining him.

Latino friend from HS complaining about being stopped and harassed by local law enforcement in the panhandle. Told him he needed to be out of town before the sun was down.

I asked him how he thought that deputy votes.

His response: "Probably the same way I do."
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 3

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Over/under on how many days till deputy Cletus somewhere in Texas arrests someone for "looking insufficiently American, you know what I mean," and the 42 USC Sec 1983 lawsuit gets filed?

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Over/under on how many days till deputy Cletus somewhere in Texas arrests someone for "looking insufficiently American, you know what I mean," and the 42 USC Sec 1983 lawsuit gets filed?

Aw shucks deputy Cletus didn't know it was clearly established law not to do stasi in the US

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, chainsaw said:

Aw shucks deputy Cletus didn't know it was clearly established law not to do stasi in the US

Bingo.  Any such case will go to the Fifth Circuit.  Which has never met a "well, that EXACT scenario isn't clearly established -- the car he pulled over was a BLUE 2013 Camry....while there was another case very, very similar, identical in every other respect, the Camry in that case was white (it was also a 2012, but we need not reach that point of distinction in order to support our holding)" exception...with respect to law enforcement shitting on minorities....that it didn't LOVE.

• 2 weeks later...

What’s the real story behind this Hagerty bill banning federal money to be used to fly illegal immigrants to the US? The right wing propaganda machine is making a big deal out of all Democrats voting against it last Friday. 

Hundreds of social media users quickly disputed Maddock’s post on Wednesday, but Maddock refused to concede.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/28/politics/fact-check-matt-maddock-invaders-gonzaga-madness-detroit/index.html

Facts First: Maddock’s claim is false. The buses were not for “illegal invaders”; they were for the men’s college basketball teams that landed at the Detroit airport to compete in the NCAA tournament known as March Madness. The only Allegiant Air flight to the airport on Wednesday was a charter flight that carried the team from Gonzaga University, which plays Purdue University on Friday.

• Haha 2