DACA, immigration reform whatever

hayden_horn

"Well, now see here libruls, those private prisons, oops, detention centers are not going to pay for themselves and how will GEO Group and CoreCivic add to the $4.1 billion dollars they made last year (of which around 1/4 was detention center revenue)? Why, you can employ the brown people, oops, detainees for a $1 a day at the facility in Conroe and they cook and clean the place. Obama didn't do that now, did he, libruls? No, he phased out those private prisons, oops, detention centers  because they aren't safe and are no cheaper. $32 million dollars a year to house 1000 prisoners, oops, detainees in Conroe. There's money to be made but you have to free up those tax dollars you might use to help victims of hurricanes or floods. You know, people who won't appreciate or understand the profits to be made here like a Republican would. Oh, and if you go on big water, better take your life vest because the Coast Guard is drydocked for the duration."

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

"Well, now see here libruls, those private prisons, oops, detention centers are not going to pay for themselves and how will GEO Group and CoreCivic add to the $4.1 billion dollars they made last year (of which around 1/4 was detention center revenue)? Why, you can employ the brown people, oops, detainees for a $1 a day at the facility in Conroe and they cook and clean the place. Obama didn't do that now, did he, libruls? No, he phased out those private prisons, oops, detention centers  because they aren't safe and are no cheaper. $32 million dollars a year to house 1000 prisoners, oops, detainees in Conroe. There's money to be made but you have to free up those tax dollars you might use to help victims of hurricanes or floods. You know, people who won't appreciate or understand the profits to be made here like a Republican would. Oh, and if you go on big water, better take your life vest because the Coast Guard is drydocked for the duration."

I love this post. Preach! Now, don't forget about the nice lil NGO and all teh funds being pushed into this same industry via HHS. 

On 8/22/2019 at 11:36 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I feel you. My wife is Mexican, and my girl and boy coming in a few weeks will be in the same situation as you. It sucks, and I can't really comprehend how we've regressed to were we are.

It's always been there. Atwater knew this. Strom Thurmond knew this. Trump is giving full vent to years of animosity and rage. All the dog whistles of busing, food stamps, Section 8, and anything else that might be for poors, was put out as 'cost savings'. It still is. 

Lou Reed said it best.

Give me your hungry, your tired your poor I'll piss on 'em
that's what the Statue of Bigotry says
Your poor huddled masses, let's club 'em to death
and get it over with and just dump 'em on the boulevard

11 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh, also, we're sending people back to what even the judges hearing their cases acknowledge is certain death.

Remember when we were younger, and we read about the plight of the St. Louis, carrying 937 Jewish refugees in 1939, fleeing Hitler's murderous regime -- turned away from western ports, including Cuba, the US, and Canada, they went back to Europe.  Where 254 died in the Holocaust?   And we thought to ourselves "how awful!"  I would suspect most of us thought that was a pretty bad chapter in our history, and we'd never want to repeat it.

And here we are.  Happily sending people back to their death.  Because they're brown (jewish, brown -- what's the difference?  The point is, they ain't "us").  We're even using the same bullshit rhetoric western authorities used in 1939 - "we can't possibly take in all the people fleeing the regime."  It was bullshit then.  It's bullshit now.  We were accessories to murder of 254 of the passengers on the St. Louis.  We're accessories to murder now.

If someone banged on your door, screaming that they were being chased by a killer, please let them in to get them away from the killer, would you let them in?  As a nation, we've given our answer -- No.  Get 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Slap a couple of heads on those spikes !!!!

Heads of lettuce.

It would perhaps remind folks that 45,000 farm laborers cross into Yuma everyday to pick lettuce in the winter. While some laborers are guest workers, without the labor of hardworking immigrants that work in the heat, the cold, the dirt, the pesticides, we would have little green.

More from the cruelty is the point party.  

https://abc7.com/health/teen-battles-cancer-alone-as-mom-stuck-in-mexico-denied-us-access/5495744/?fbclid=IwAR349kh_YMSaSktiBivHCqrVjtPA5E_w95VIKWscgv_04wNlTkM177mrNhY

Teenager battles leukemia alone at Duke University Hospital because border agents will not allow mother in Mexico to visit

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Support the troops and their families!

So, yeah.  My dad volunteered to be stationed overseas for two years to support his country.  I was born during that time period.  Under Trump's Administration his son would not have been born an American citizen.  I thought Republicans loved our country and supported our troops.  Just another shovel full to add to the huge pile of bullshit that's the Republican party's so called patriotism.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

The cowards don't want to risk another John McCain.

Not true.

They can be US citizenships, but they have to pay and go through the naturalization process that is currently taking upwards of 2 years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Not true.

They can be US citizenships, but they have to pay and go through the naturalization process that is currently taking upwards of 2 years. 

yep, exactly. And it also costs the servicemen/women a lot to get that paper work done. This is BS. The type of shit that causes coups. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

Oh...you think there will be consequences. How adorable. It will cost him zero support.

Funny how this was the issue which set off quite a few US Army vets with kids born overseas. These are people who served throughout all the previous presidents, recognizing their oath was to a country and a constitution and not a person. My Father and MIL were not fan of Obamas, but never bashed him. She is on a rampage over this. 

I was born overseas while my father was deployed. I have gone through a bunch of BS proving my citizenship. Few can read my original birth certificate, but every DMV wants to see it.  

The State of Virginia kept a Hispanic man in solitary confinement for almost 13 years.  His’ inability to communicate in English meant that he had no meaningful access to VDOC’s Step-Down Program that VDOC claims gives people a pathway out of solitary confinement. The complaint alleges Mr. Reyes decompensated mentally and physically as a result of his forced isolated confinement. 

https://acluva.org/en/press-releases/judge-refuses-dismiss-case-challenging-virginias-use-solitary-confinement

https://time.com/5664469/expedited-removal/

The Trump Administration's New Expedited Removal Rule Is Expected To Start Sunday, Court Records Show

Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) will soon begin processing some undocumented immigrants under new expedited removal rules that greatly expand who can be deported without a hearing before an immigration judge, according to a memo released to agency staff.

In late July, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) published a new rule in the Federal Register that expands the designation of expedited removal. Under that rule, immigrants in the country unlawfully for fewer than 2 years and who are living anywhere in the country’s interior can be fast-tracked through deportation proceedings, even if that means there’s not enough time to make their case before an immigration judge. Previous to the July 23 change, only undocumented immigrants who were caught 100 miles from the border and within two weeks of arriving qualified for expedited removal.

The new designation also places the burden of proof on immigrants, according to the ICE memo, which was disclosed in court records on Wednesday and is part of the public record. Immigrants facing expedited removal can provide bankbooks, leases, deeds, licenses, bills, receipts, letters, birth records, church records, school records, employment records, tax payments or evidence of prior law enforcement encounters to prove that they’ve resided in the U.S. for at least two years, according to the memo. It also states that if a person can’t provide evidence at the time of an encounter with ICE, they “shall be permitted a brief but reasonable opportunity to obtain it or communicate with a third party to obtain such evidence.”

The memo also states the new removal designation will likely be used by ICE officials during worksite raids and working within the Criminal Alien Program, which partners with local, state and federal law enforcement agencies to detain undocumented immigrants.

“Expedited removal is already a very truncated, streamlined process where very important decisions are made by Border Patrol agents with little training in the law and they are very overworked,” she tells TIME. “Mistakes are made … I’m very concerned that some of the errors, some of the things that happen as a result of the nature of expedited removal, are just going to be multiplied thousands of times across the country and lead to a lot of wrongful removals.”

There is more at the link, but I quoted some of the highlights. The woman they quoted (Kara Hetzler, a federal defender) in the last paragraph when she states, "Mistakes are made..." I know she was talking about Border Agents removing immigrants, but all I could think about was Governor Abbot's "Mistakes were made...."

On 8/28/2019 at 3:24 PM, Longhornfan1024 said:

So, yeah.  My dad volunteered to be stationed overseas for two years to support his country.  I was born during that time period.  Under Trump's Administration his son would not have been born an American citizen.  I thought Republicans loved our country and supported our troops.  Just another shovel full to add to the huge pile of bullshit that's the Republican party's so called patriotism.  

I'd like to point out that Zork negged this post.  He clearly doesn't support our troops or think that their children should be American citizens.  

• Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

I'd like to point out that Zork negged this post.  He clearly doesn't support our troops or think that their children should be American citizens.  

yeah, not if one of their parents wuz IMMINGRANTS! Duh, can't dilute his pure aryan christian nation

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Wonder what is in the fine print. When a GOPer says bipartisan, it means there is fine print in there somewhere.

Last time there was an actual bipartisan deal in Congress (DACA in exchange for wall money), president advisors Laura Ingraham and Rush Limbaugh torpedoed it. 

• Like 1

Her passport application was rejected in 1995....

Yes. She apparently failed to send a certified copy with her application and then didn’t follow up when notified she needed to.

In 2018 she did submit a certified copy.

The 1995 denial is irrelevant.

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

Yes. She apparently failed to send a certified copy with her application and then didn’t follow up when notified she needed to.

In 2018 she did submit a certified copy.

The 1995 denial is irrelevant.

I haven't read anywhere that the certified copy vs copy of certified was a problem, just "insufficient documentation" (her name is incorrect on her birth certificate which would be another red flag).

The 1995 denial is the reason her application requires additional documentation.  She is supposed to provide family, education, employment, and residence histories.  She provided only an education history where she only attended school in Mexico.

5 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I haven't read anywhere that the certified copy vs copy of certified was a problem, just "insufficient documentation" (her name is incorrect on her birth certificate which would be another red flag).

The 1995 denial is the reason her application requires additional documentation.  She is supposed to provide family, education, employment, and residence histories.  She provided only an education history where she only attended school in Mexico.

It’s in the complaint in the post. There is no dispute that she is a natural born citizen.

She was previously established citizenship to government’s satisfaction when she sponsored her husband’s green card as well as other family members. 

Where're you getting that it’s acceptable to require more than is otherwise required for every other citizen for her to get her passport simply because she abandoned a prior attempt?

Edited by DDD Dad

1 minute ago, DDD Dad said:

It’s in the complaint in the post. There is no dispute that she is a natural born citizen  

She was previously established citizenship to government’s satisfaction when she sponsored her husband’s green card as well as other family members. 

Irrelevant.  The reason she has been rejected twice now is because she doesn't submit the correct documentation requested.  It has nothing to do with Trump.

10 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

If so why is a lawsuit necessary?

Good to know you already have all the answers.

Don't know.  I'm guessing she has no close citizen relatives, hasnt been living in the US for very long, and is unemployed or working for a cash business - so lacks the stricter documentation required for someone who has already been denied.

The answers are in the ACLU article links.  Click on the twitterer, then click through to the filing and other linked articles.

Edited by JBJ

Another demoralizing read of the last few pages. 

If Americans don't care about (or actively support) condemnation of reporters and congresspersons as enemies of the state and treasonous, not many of us are going to give an ear or lift a finger to help these people. 

Leave the Bahamians to starve or die of post disaster diseases.

Leave the separated children alone in concentration camps to have their psychological wounds become deeper and irreversible.

Shrug off death sentences for deportees here for vital medical care.

They're all crooks and murderers and rapers, anyway. We don't want them polluting or degrading the purity of our board rooms and trailer parks. We don't need them to work the farms because the president is destroying the farm sector...which they loves him for it.

Idiot World evolves into Cruel Idiot World. 

USA! USA! USA!

The chant makes me want to vomit. Arrogant, ignorant pricks.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Somehow, I sense Sauron Stephen Miller or Cuccinelli  had a word with the ferry authorities.

“I don’t want to allow people that weren’t supposed to be [in the Bahamas],” he said, adding that among the refugees could be “very bad people and some very bad gang members and some very very bad drug dealers.”

The level of incompetence mixed with the racism is staggering. 

CBP hasn't even figured out what lie they are instructed to use yet.