Old photos from WWII

Photos my late grandfather gave me allegedly liberated from a Nazi camera as the Allies closed in on Berlin.  I find them fascinating, but do not know the buildings or cities in them.  Any help identifying them would be appreciated.

Nazi-Building-II.jpg

Nazi-Building.jpg

Nazi-group-photo.jpg

Nazi-stadium.jpg

Something about the last photo.  Seems like a line outside a house I saw in South Austin once.  And then the backdrop looks like this gal I knew...lived down that way.

(jokes aside, the first three photos look like Swabian country, maybe Austria)

• 2 weeks later...

I like what some have done with old photos like these using Google Street View showing what the site looks like today vs when the photos were taken.   The photos like these involving war images are extra cool, especially if the structures are still standing.    If you could only find a street name, but I do see a building name above an address number.   Try Googling that and see what results you get.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I like what some have done with old photos like these using Google Street View showing what the site looks like today vs when the photos were taken.   The photos like these involving war images are extra cool, especially if the structures are still standing.    If you could only find a street name, but I do see a building name above an address number.   Try Googling that and see what results you get.

Then Normandy pics are uber cool when you can stand there, and see where soldiers were standing in '44.

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Then Normandy pics are uber cool when you can stand there, and see where soldiers were standing in '44.

Yes those are pretty cool and chilling at the same time knowing  in 1944 thousands of young men for which some barley  reached their 18th birthday, died on that very shoreline on some 75 years ago.   One could go back further and do the same with battle sites around the world from different wars where the original landscape and some structures still stand to this day.  Or even wars since WWII like Vietnam where wreckage from the US Military arsenals can still be found and sometimes untouched 50 or so years later.   I find it  remarkable oil still leaks from the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor and they say it could leak for generations. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 11:12 AM, slorch said:

Photos my late grandfather gave me allegedly liberated from a Nazi camera as the Allies closed in on Berlin.  I find them fascinating, but do not know the buildings or cities in them.  Any help identifying them would be appreciated.

Nazi-group-photo.jpg

I think this one will be the easiest to identify. Is that street name on the building (white sign behind their shoulders on the right) legible in your picture? I'm getting nothing on my Sebul-Baus searches or is it Sebuf-ßaus on the top of the building? I feel like this is a job for @Ghost of LL or @Brisketexan's kid.

Edited by SimonBolivar

9 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I think this one will be the easiest to identify. Is that street name on the building (white sign behind their shoulders on the right) legible in your picture? I'm getting nothing on my Sebul-Baus searches or is it Sebuf-ßaus on the top of the building? I feel like this is a job for @Ghost of LL or @Brisketexan's kid.

I tried to enhance it a bit and it looks like it's a bit easier to read the white sign, but I can't quite see it.

Nazi-group-photo.jpg

Edited by SimonBolivar

22 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I tried to enhance it a bit and it looks like it's a bit easier to read the white sign, but I can't quite see it.

Nazi-group-photo.jpg

Again I'm far from an expert on Nazi fashion, but this appears early to me. The lack of rank on the uniform for the older guys on the right have me wondering exactly what they are (SA?)? Also the guy in the Italian looking uniform on the left is interesting.

11 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Again I'm far from an expert on Nazi fashion, but this appears early to me. The lack of rank on the uniform for the older guys on the right have me wondering exactly what they are (SA?)? Also the guy in the Italian looking uniform on the left is interesting.

Those Nazi mailmen were not to be fucked with....

• Haha 1

On 4/4/2021 at 11:12 AM, slorch said:

Nazi-Building-II.jpg

Nazi-Building.jpg

Nazi-group-photo.jpg

Nazi-stadium.jpg

These are almost certainly of some Nazi's visit to Nuremberg for the Nuremberg Rallies, which took place annually from 1933 to 1938.  

The first photo is of Nuremberg Castle.  To see what it looks like today, just put your streetview at 20 Bergstrasse in Nuremberg.

The second photo is of the Nuremberg Rathaus (city hall).  Put your streetview at 2 Theresienstrasse to see it today.

I can't exactly tell where the last photo is taken.  It could be a restaurant near St. Sebald's Church (i.e., "Sebaldhaus"), but I can't exactly tell.  It does not look familiar.

The last photo is of the Nuremberg Rally.  Those took place outside town at the Zeppelinfeld.  There are plenty of good photos of that today on Google Maps.

• Hook 'Em 3