Easter thread (for those who are interested)

Armybrat

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

You would be wrong on all counts. Still waiting for you to make your point

His point is that you should doubt and unbelieve as he does.  He has never gotten over the hurt of believing as a young man and then feeling like a fool when he grew to learn to read points of view that differ from how he was raised.  So having not learned his lesson the first time he now believes something new and feels the need to evangelize, to the uttermost parts of the internet, his new gospel, unbelief.  Some day, probably sooner rather than later, he will learn that what he has learned, unbelief, has little merit yet again and choose to believe in the pron fairy and then try and tell us, yet again, that if we only read more we too could be enlightened, as he is, to the true god Rony Jeremy.    

Edited by RollLeft

The thread crapping by the usual subjects is nothing new and quite frankly, it is all intellectually lazy and antagonistic for the sake of argument in itself and proves nothing and changes no one's belief.
As I said in the semi-annual thread by whoever that claimed we were all better off without churchy stuff, there is nothing new under the sun here.  The high school level debate stingers ("challenges") are easily searchable on Google and have academics who can coherently answer your controversies without needing to rehash them here because you decide to internet throwdown on Sunday afternoon.
Is there any particular reason you cannot let a thread about what some find to be hopeful stand within itself?  

Oh for Christ’s sake.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

I take the Torah literally insofar as it was an oral tradition, and absolute fidelity is the goal of oral tradition. The most conservative of Jews view the rest of the OT differently from books 1-4.

Expecting eyewitness accounts to be infallible, or completely in sync, goes against human nature. I don’t remember the NT claiming infallibility, or to be the Word of God, and would appreciate learning if it does. 

Religion need not be literal to be true.

Happy Easter!

Edited by Willfully Horn
Greetings!
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

The thread crapping by the usual subjects is nothing new and quite frankly, it is all intellectually lazy and antagonistic for the sake of argument in itself and proves nothing and changes no one's belief.

As I said in the semi-annual thread by whoever that claimed we were all better off without churchy stuff, there is nothing new under the sun here.  The high school level debate stingers ("challenges") are easily searchable on Google and have academics who can coherently answer your controversies without needing to rehash them here because you decide to internet throwdown on Sunday afternoon.

Is there any particular reason you cannot let a thread about what some find to be hopeful stand within itself?  

"but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles," - I Cor 1:23

39 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

I take the Torah literally insofar as it was an oral tradition, and absolute fidelity is the goal of oral tradition. The most conservative of Jews view the rest of the OT differently from books 1-4.

Expecting eyewitness accounts to be infallible, or completely in sync, goes against human nature. I don’t remember the NT claiming infallibility, or to be the Word of God, and would appreciate learning if it does. 

Religion need not be literal to be true.

Happy Easter!

Sola scriptura atheism is my favorite atheism.

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

Well, I will tell you this.

If at the last judgment Christ asks you why you abandoned Christianity or believing in Him, and you say, "Oh, I was a believer until I read a couple of posts from Surly and they persuaded me," you pretty much deserve to go to hell.

Happy Easter, everyone!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, RollLeft said:

His point is that you should doubt and unbelieve as he does.  He has never gotten over the hurt of believing as a young man and then feeling like a fool when he grew to learn to read points of view that differ from how he was raised.  So having not learned his lesson the first time he now believes something new and feels the need to evangelize, to the uttermost parts of the internet, his new gospel, unbelief.  Some day, probably sooner rather than later, he will learn that what he has learned, unbelief, has little merit yet again and choose to believe in the pron fairy and then try and tell us, yet again, that if we only read more we too could be enlightened, as he is, to the true god Rony Jeremy.    

‘He’s trying to make us read our bibles! He’s trying to turn us into unbelievers! Don’t listen to him!’

Ignoring the sophomoric gotchas of people who refuse to google and wouldn't believe anyway, my parents came to visit for the first time in over a year. The kids loved seeing their grandparents. We did virtual church and they played outside while I made a boot jack. Then we had ribeyes. Not looking forward to work tomorrow.

• Hook 'Em 5

No church.

Had a discussion about Wesleyan pragmatic Christianity and the preeminence of the social gospel in Methodism over Easter lunch.  Oldest son brought up the factional nature of Christianity and had a brief discussion of the Protestant and English Reformations and the question of who is correct and who is not. Ended the conversation with the conclusion that no one is right and that the teachings of Christ are calls to action regarding social justice.

There was also a discussion on the ethics of Satanism (Levayan) and Ayn Rand's Objectivism and how Donald Trump is a perfect manifestation of Satanic principles.

• Hook 'Em 6

10 minutes ago, F250 said:

No church.

Had a discussion about Wesleyan pragmatic Christianity and the preeminence of the social gospel in Methodism over Easter lunch.  Oldest son brought up the factional nature of Christianity and had a brief discussion of the Protestant and English Reformations and the question of who is correct and who is not. Ended the conversation with the conclusion that no one is right and that the teachings of Christ are calls to action regarding social justice.

There was also a discussion on the ethics of Satanism (Levayan) and Ayn Rand's Objectivism and how Donald Trump is a perfect manifestation of Satanic principles.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, F250 said:

No church.

Heretic!!!!

I went to church on Easter Sunday with my wife, youngest child, her husband, and two grandkids.  First time back in church since February 2020.  Our pastor gave an inspiring 11 minute sermon and the music and fellowship made for a true spiritual connection.  My other kids and grandkids joined us in the early afternoon and we chowed down on grilled salmon and shrimp, deviled eggs, twice baked potatoes, asparagus, homemade yeast rolls, and homemade carrot cake in the shape of an Easter bunny.  Played with the grandkids for hours and slept like a dead man last night.  It was a big league day.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, Harrison Stafford said:

My other kids and grandkids joined us in the early afternoon and we chowed down on grilled salmon and shrimp, deviled eggs, twice baked potatoes, asparagus, homemade yeast rolls, and homemade carrot cake in the shape of an Easter bunny.

Salmon and shrimp for Easter?  Our Lord Jesus Christ did not die on the cross, descend into Hades, and unshackle the human nature from sin just so we could celebrate with some fucking shrimp. For the love of God, where's the leg of lamb?

J/K that sounds like an awesome day.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Salmon and shrimp for Easter?  Our Lord Jesus Christ did not die on the cross, descend into Hades, and unshackle the human nature from sin just so we could celebrate with some fucking shrimp. For the love of God, where's the leg of lamb?

J/K that sounds like an awesome day.  

This is the 7th consecutive year I’ve grilled salmon and shrimp for Easter. It started because I love salmon and am so-so on ham.  Now, it’s become a tradition and my wife wants it to continue. So, it shall continue.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, F250 said:

No church.

Sounds like an amazing fucking party...!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, F250 said:

Had a discussion about Wesleyan pragmatic Christianity and the preeminence of the social gospel in Methodism over Easter lunch.  Oldest son brought up the factional nature of Christianity

I imagine it was a pretty smooth segue between Methodism and and the factional nature of Christianity. 

You reminded me of this quote from Wesley: "The gospel of Christ knows of no religion, but social; no holiness but social holiness. Faith working by love, is the length and breadth and depth and height of Christian perfection." 

Living into the social nature of the gospel has not been an easy thing in a socially-distant world.

• Like 2

The Spirit has been speaking to me through this song this weekend (you know how a song impacts you in a way you've never experienced even though you've heard it thousands of times). It's a beautiful love song and I can't wait for the day I get to live it.

9 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Don't understand why easter ham is a thing either.

Practical, in season.  Ham is ready to eat in the spring after curing all winter. You can feed a lot of people. And in the U.S., lamb as a meat got more expensive and harder to find after wool stopped being an everyday fabric.