The Masters 2021

2 hours ago, alincoln said:

Zombie Deadspin (and Rob Parker specifically) produces some of the worst content on the internet.  Deadspin was garbage before the staff quit en masse following the bankruptcy sale, but the new product is much worse.  

Completely.  Waste of webspace.

1 hour ago, Revolution512 said:

No, he’s an idiot. Standing there seeing how hard he can swing serves zero purpose and will injure him sooner than later.

This.  I know the dude works out hard and stays in great shape but with the way he winds up and goes after it, I don't see how he doesn't injure himself. 

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Gary Player's son was hawking golf balls during the Ceremonial Tee Shots.  Also, Gary was the only one not clapping for Lee Elder.  Just leaned on his driver.  All class.

huh?  Player was clapping along with Nicklaus

On 4/5/2021 at 9:10 AM, 4th&Five said:

Daughter has a bball tournament this weekend. Not optimal...

Finally got the schedule and she plays at 4 and 6 on Saturday and 4 on Sunday. Wife has a flight Sunday afternoon so there’s no getting out of it. FML. 

3 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

No, he’s an idiot. Standing there seeing how hard he can swing serves zero purpose and will injure him sooner than later.

BCD is not an idiot, at least in the classic sense of the world. Everything I have read over the years about his approach to the game indicates that he won't simply do what everyone else is doing "just because". the skill level on tour is so uniformly high, that the smallest advantages can be invaluable. So if BCD is taking a different approach than everyone else on tour, he knows that can pay off greatly. He takes risks others wont take, because in his mind the payoff is worth it. 

A good example is his decision to use irons that are all the same length. I'm too much of a hack to know if that is a good idea or not, but the idea seems to make sense. The decision to rethink everything bout the game I respect, and shows some intellectual curiosity that I doubt you will find with DJ, for example. 

But smart people can also make poor decisions and fail accordingly. The business world is full of really great ideas from really smart people that failed. BCD probably is way overconfident in his body's ability to hold up.

Also he's a gigantic douche. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Gary Player's son was hawking golf balls during the Ceremonial Tee Shots.  Also, Gary was the only one not clapping for Lee Elder.  Just leaned on his driver.  All class.

nevermind, saw you addreesed.

Edited by babysdaddy
no judgement

1 hour ago, Jive Turkey said:

those greens look burned out.  i just don't remember seeing them looking so brown.

i heard Ryan Palmer on the Ticket yesterday.  he said the greens were already on the edge.  they must be counting on some rain at some point.

Perhaps a reaction to the low scores in the fall version of the Masters

24 minutes ago, Blotto said:

BCD is not an idiot, at least in the classic sense of the world. Everything I have read over the years about his approach to the game indicates that he won't simply do what everyone else is doing "just because". the skill level on tour is so uniformly high, that the smallest advantages can be invaluable. So if BCD is taking a different approach than everyone else on tour, he knows that can pay off greatly. He takes risks others wont take, because in his mind the payoff is worth it. 

A good example is his decision to use irons that are all the same length. I'm too much of a hack to know if that is a good idea or not, but the idea seems to make sense. The decision to rethink everything bout the game I respect, and shows some intellectual curiosity that I doubt you will find with DJ, for example. 

But smart people can also make poor decisions and fail accordingly. The business world is full of really great ideas from really smart people that failed. BCD probably is way overconfident in his body's ability to hold up.

Also he's a gigantic douche. 

Yes, all of this is correct and well stated.  

I have to agree with everyone else that he's crazy if he thinks his body will be able to withstand that torque over the course of his career.  All that said- maybe he's just figuring make hay while the sun shines while I can still do it- get as much as I can now, figure out an old man swing after I have an injury and come back.  

I wouldn't play it that way but I could see how someone else might.  I once saw a survey of college golfers say that the majority would trade 30 IQ points for 30 yards off the tee. If that's the case you could see someone saying- will worry about injury later if (when) it happens. 

10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Perhaps a reaction to the low scores in the fall version of the Masters

Absolutely no doubt about it.  Augusta isn't super grouchy about protecting par, as they want excitement and drama and don't care if that happens at 5 under or 15 under- but I also don't think they want to see it turned into a pitch and putt either.  They want it to play fast and hard for sure and re-establish what a normal masters looks like- not hte shooting gallery that last years was.  

8 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yes, all of this is correct and well stated.  

I have to agree with everyone else that he's crazy if he thinks his body will be able to withstand that torque over the course of his career.  All that said- maybe he's just figuring make hay while the sun shines while I can still do it- get as much as I can now, figure out an old man swing after I have an injury and come back.  

I wouldn't play it that way but I could see how someone else might.  I once saw a survey of college golfers say that the majority would trade 30 IQ points for 30 yards off the tee. If that's the case you could see someone saying- will worry about injury later if (when) it happens. 

Was listening to Brandel Chamblee on with the Musers yesterday or the day before they were discussing the video. I can't remember specifics but he said Bryson's swing, while violent-looking and forceful, didn't have as much of the usual "twisting" and "contorting" as a typical swing. I don't think it was described just this way but it was something like this and he said because of this, he didn't think Bryson was going to be at any further risk of injury than anybody else. (Chamblee can say some dumb shit from time to time.)

6 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Absolutely no doubt about it.  Augusta isn't super grouchy about protecting par, as they want excitement and drama and don't care if that happens at 5 under or 15 under- but I also don't think they want to see it turned into a pitch and putt either.  They want it to play fast and hard for sure and re-establish what a normal masters looks like- not hte shooting gallery that last years was.  

I'm glad a player of DJ's caliber won last fall's event because I think it wasn't a true Masters championship. It would've been disappointing to see somebody have that be maybe the only major victory of their career and be forever welcome at Augusta.

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Was listening to Brandel Chamblee on with the Musers yesterday or the day before they were discussing the video. I can't remember specifics but he said Bryson's swing, while violent-looking and forceful, didn't have as much of the usual "twisting" and "contorting" as a typical swing. I don't think it was described just this way but it was something like this and he said because of this, he didn't think Bryson was going to be at any further risk of injury than anybody else. (Chamblee can say some dumb shit from time to time.)

I'm glad a player of DJ's caliber won last fall's event because I think it wasn't a true Masters championship. It would've been disappointing to see somebody have that be maybe the only major victory of their career and be forever welcome at Augusta.

Agreed completely. If it was a JAG that won it everyone would totally discount it as not a real masters.  Because it was DJ people will say- hey- best in the world won under some strange situations- it wasn't a normal tournament but the declared a worthy champ. 

15 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Rory ain't ever winning here.

You think? He blew a 4-shot, 54-hole lead in 2011. He's a hot mess right now but has Top 10's (three Top 5's) at Augusta in five of the last seven years.

Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 1.42.04 PM.png