The Masters 2021

2 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I played a round with Zalatoris about 2 years ago. Randomly got grouped with him in a fivesome. He was TCA golf team buddies with a couple of sons of members at my club. The sons were hackers like me and my buddy. We all shot like a 90. Will said he’d left Wake early to turn pro. I cannot remember if he said he’d graduated or not. I’ve never seen a better ball striker for that size of guy in my life. I would pipe a drive 280 down the middle from the blue tees. He was playing from the tips and would bomb it way the fuck past mine the few times I did that. And his iron play was impeccable.  On the green in two every time. One weakness in his game I noted (for a would-be pro) was that he didn’t putt well. 

Humble brag?

8 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I played a round with Zalatoris about 2 years ago. Randomly got grouped with him in a fivesome. He was TCA golf team buddies with a couple of sons of members at my club. The sons were hackers like me and my buddy. We all shot like a 90. Will said he’d left Wake early to turn pro. I cannot remember if he said he’d graduated or not. I’ve never seen a better ball striker for that size of guy in my life. I would pipe a drive 280 down the middle from the blue tees. He was playing from the tips and would bomb it way the fuck past mine the few times I did that. And his iron play was impeccable.  On the green in two every time. One weakness in his game I noted (for a would-be pro) was that he didn’t putt well. 

you pipe a few drives 280 and shoot 90?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

unpopular opinion, im pulling for matsuyama or zalatoris. cinderella story 

if this was the PGA, i'd 120% be pulling for Spieth. that's the tournament that cements his legacy with the all time greats, not another masters 

Any major cements legacy, but the career grand slam would be nice.

12 minutes ago, Hate said:

Any major cements legacy, but the career grand slam would be nice.

Career slam is extremely rare. Only 5 guys have the modern iteration of Masters, US, British and PGA. It hasn't been completed in 20 years and it was 34 years between Jack and Tiger. Spieth could win 3 more Masters and it would probably be less of an accomplishment than completing the slam. It's a big fucking deal.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Career slam is extremely rare. Only 5 guys have the modern iteration of Masters, US, British and PGA. It hasn't been completed in 20 years and it was 34 years between Jack and Tiger. Spieth could win 3 more Masters and it would probably be less of an accomplishment than completing the slam. It's a big fucking deal.

i think he pulls it off. like his us open, the pga needs to be at the right course that matches up to this game 

Edited by tx 3 putt

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

i think he pulls it off. like his us open, it just needs to be at the right course that matches up to this game 

I agree - I think PGA is the easiest to chase but it is technically the hardest field. Although guys have come up short with the PGA before. Tom Watson for one, I believe never got a PGA to complete his career slam.

Edited by ztejas

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I agree - I think PGA is the easiest to chase but it is technically the hardest field. Although guys have come up short with the PGA before. Tom Watson for one, I beleive never got a PGA to complete his career slam.

watson / palmer / spieth - need / needed the PGA to complete the grand slam 

3 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

watson / palmer / spieth - need / needed the PGA to complete the grand slam 

Yep. And those 2 are arguably the greatest modern guys to not have the career slam. Which is another reason why it's a massive accomplishment (because guys like that came up short).

You could have 4 career wins - one at each major - and never play another round and probably baseline you'd be one of the 30 greatest ever. 

Edited by ztejas

Yeah it's cool and all, but would you rather have one of each or 9 total majors like Gary Player?  It's like hitting for the cycle.  It's cool and fairly rare, but a game with a HR, triple, and two doubles is actually better.  Do you think less of Tom Watson because he never won a PGA (he has 8 majors)? What about Lee Trevino because he never won the Masters (he has 6 total...two of each of the others).  I'm not saying it isn't a big deal and something I would love to see him accomplish, but I would rather rack up a good number of majors even if I don't get one of each.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

unpopular opinion, im pulling for matsuyama or zalatoris. cinderella story 

if this was the PGA, i'd 120% be pulling for Spieth. that's the tournament that cements his legacy with the all time greats, not another masters 

100% pulling for Rose.  I know a good guy who's uber friends with him.  He can't talk highly enough about him.  I really think he's going to pull it out.

16 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yeah it's cool and all, but would you rather have one of each or 9 total majors like Gary Player?  It's like hitting for the cycle.  It's cool and fairly rare, but a game with a HR, triple, and two doubles is actually better.  Do you think less of Tom Watson because he never won a PGA (he has 8 majors)? What about Lee Trevino because he never won the Masters (he has 6 total...two of each of the others).  I'm not saying it isn't a big deal and something I would love to see him accomplish, but I would rather rack up a good number of majors even if I don't get one of each.

One clarification. Trevino and Clifford Robert’s hated each other. He gets a pass on the Masters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

41 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yeah it's cool and all, but would you rather have one of each or 9 total majors like Gary Player? 

Well... Gary Player has a career slam. And I don't think 9 vs. 4 is a very compelling argument. My example was 3 of one plus 2 others vs. one of each.

41 minutes ago, Hate said:

Do you think less of Tom Watson because he never won a PGA (he has 8 majors)? What about Lee Trevino because he never won the Masters (he has 6 total...two of each of the others).

Kind of - yeah. They are both all-time golfers but they would be higher up on the list with a career slam. 

Another way of framing it: of every golfer who won their first major after 1962 - Tiger Woods is the only one to complete the career grand slam. 

Edited by ztejas

44 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The Masters, British Open, and US Open are actually different tests, and if you can pass them all it proves you are a complete golfer.  The PGA is just a random collection of golf courses.

Except the PGA has the deepest field. And it is the championship event of the world's premeir golf tour. It is its own test just like the rest - although the 4th most prestigious by most accounts. 

A lot of this goes both ways, too. You can say: "Palmer and Watson are two of the greatest ever and they never won the PGA". You can also say: "Just look at how great Palmer and Watson were and they never won the PGA"

Edited by ztejas

8 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

How does the pga have a deeper field than the us open or the masters?

Because it objectively does. I'm not going to list all of the qualifiers but you can look it up. The Players actually has the most competitive field every year I believe of any of them. 

Now - you can of course argue about how much guys prepare or how seriously they take it but that's kind of messy and that plays more into how prestigiously they are viewed. I was only making the point that - sure - you can demean the PGA compared to the other 3 - but it does have the best collection of talent competing for it every year. (It's one of the reasons why it tends to produce the most random champions)

(I'd also never not rank the PGA 4th)

Edited by ztejas

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Well... Gary Player has a career slam. And I don't think 9 vs. 4 is a very compelling argument. My example was 3 of one plus 2 others vs. one of each.

Kind of - yeah. They are both all-time golfers but they would be higher up on the list with a career slam. 

Another way of framing it: of every golfer who won their first major after 1962 - Tiger Woods is the only one to complete the career grand slam. 

Yeah, I missed on Player. For some reason I thought he had missed the PGA. At any rate, I would rather have Tom Watson's 8 Major wins than one each of the four. 

21 minutes ago, Hate said:

Yeah, I missed on Player. For some reason I thought he had missed the PGA. At any rate, I would rather have Tom Watson's 8 Major wins than one each of the four. 

Agreed. I think 7 of any probably trumps one of each, too. As does Trevino's triple double (which is about as rare as the career slam itself - iirc). 

The original argument was that Spieth winning the PGA would be a much bigger deal than him winning another Masters. He's already a no brainer HoFer. Career slam is something more special.

*Just checked - only 6 guys have 2 wins of 3 majors. Trevino and the top 5 all-time major wins leaders. He also led the tour in scoring average 5 times - which only 3 guys have done. 

Edited by ztejas

I have no idea what to expect from Jordan going forward.  I think Tiger kind of skewed expectations for everyone after his first 10-12 years in tour.  Rory being stuck on 4 is head scratching.  The last 3 years of Jordan's career have been WTF??  It wouldn't surprise me to see Jordan end up with 7 majors, but it also wouldn't surprise me to see him end up with 3.   I think he will end up with 2 or 3 Masters and at least one more Open (British).  I don't know if he'll ever win another US Open with his driving issues and who knows about the PGA. 

Oh, and I know he isn't well liked, but I think Faldo's 3 each of the Open and Masters is pretty cool. 

3 hours ago, Hate said:

I have no idea what to expect from Jordan going forward.  I think Tiger kind of skewed expectations for everyone after his first 10-12 years in tour.  Rory being stuck on 4 is head scratching.  The last 3 years of Jordan's career have been WTF??  It wouldn't surprise me to see Jordan end up with 7 majors, but it also wouldn't surprise me to see him end up with 3.   I think he will end up with 2 or 3 Masters and at least one more Open (British).  I don't know if he'll ever win another US Open with his driving issues and who knows about the PGA. 

Oh, and I know he isn't well liked, but I think Faldo's 3 each of the Open and Masters is pretty cool. 

This week thru 3 rounds at The Masters, driving has not been the problem for Spieth.  His irons have not been sharp enough, and Spieth has not made enough putts.

But his game is improving...

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

This week thru 3 rounds at The Masters, driving has not been the problem for Spieth.  His irons have not been sharp enough, and Spieth has not made enough putts.

But his game is improving...

Up until the weather change, I think Spieth really had a shot at this. He needs to shift into go mode today and refocus. Putting defensively was the correct strategy before the rain, not anymore.

I think the shortage of fans absolutely helps the guys that have never won a major, anytime a golfer has made a big run at Augusta all the other golfers talk about how they could hear it happening and then were checking the leader board even if they aren't leader board watchers.

• Like 1