The Masters 2021

I was really enjoying the Featured Group being just Casey and Horschel. It was a nice pace for them to hold the shot for a long time to really let you experience the course. Pretty much saw their entire walk to the green on #2

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Agreed. I think 7 of any probably trumps one of each, too. As does Trevino's triple double (which is about as rare as the career slam itself - iirc). 

The original argument was that Spieth winning the PGA would be a much bigger deal than him winning another Masters. He's already a no brainer HoFer. Career slam is something more special.

*Just checked - only 6 guys have 2 wins of 3 majors. Trevino and the top 5 all-time major wins leaders. He also led the tour in scoring average 5 times - which only 3 guys have done. 

IMO, the PGA has random players win more not so much for the field but for the fact that it is pretty randomized what course you play where as the other 3 have a somewhat stable rotation or none at all and they are pretty specifically set up or have a particular dynamic.

the Open - some guys just know how to play links golf, US Open - set up with tight fairways, long rough, slick greens, Masters - same course(you either know how to play it or you don't).  Trevino never finished higher than 10th in Masters, which is crazy, but the course just didn't fit his game.

horses for courses and all that.  The PGA seems to be set up like a bit harder but normal tour stop IMO(except they do lengthen the rough).

It is amazing how Woods and Nicklaus dominated.  they both have a Career "Triple" Slam.

22 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

His main problem was that the course didn’t suit his game. A low fade isn’t conducive to good results at Augusta National.

this.  sure he may not have liked Roberts but he still came to play. if he let it affect his game thats kinda on him.  it was his game and that particular course that was the issue. 

And I love Lee Trevino, played Tenison Park many a time growing up.

27 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

His main problem was that the course didn’t suit his game. A low fade isn’t conducive to good results at Augusta National.

No, that is the cover story. No media would dare cross Clifford Robert’s. As they knew he was Bobby’s hand picked mouth piece. As such Robert’s was an admitted racist. And enforced the segregation policies stringently. Including his infamous quote about s whites playing and blacks carrying the clubs.

Lee took exception and challenged Robert’s..,.directly. The result of that was Lee choosing not to compete...in his prime.

Last thing. Why did anyone ever listen to the fade as his reason to not play? If you had seen him play the course you would know Trevino could hit a fucking draw if he had to. It was simply his preferred ball flight was left to right. 

• Like 1

No, that is the cover story. No media would dare cross Clifford Robert’s. As they knew he was Bobby’s hand picked mouth piece. As such Robert’s was an admitted racist. And enforced the segregation policies stringently. Including his infamous quote about s whites playing and blacks carrying the clubs.
Lee took exception and challenged Robert’s..,.directly. The result of that was Lee choosing not to compete...in his prime.
Last thing. Why did anyone ever listen to the fade as his reason to not play? If you had seen him play the course you would know Trevino could hit a fucking draw if he had to. It was simply his preferred ball flight was left to right. 

Lee is such a good guy and so self-deprecating. First met him on an Indian Guides camp out (our sons were same age but in different “tribes”). Then saw him again right recently at Maridoe GC. We were both in the parking lot looking over the construction site for their clubhouse renovation. There was a big foundation pit that gotten flooded by recent rains (and had remained so for several weeks). After we’d exchanged hellos he pointed to the pit and said to me and my friend, “that’s what we call a Mexican swimming pool!”

F Clifford Roberts and the racism that event clinged to for so long.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Looks like you’re correct

My problem wasn't with Augusta," Trevino said. "My problem wasn't with the golf course. I made it that simply because I didn't want to tell the truth. My problem was I couldn't get along with Cliff Roberts.

"Cliff Roberts and I locked horns the first time I was there. I took a disliking to the man and he took a disliking to me. I stayed away from there because I didn't want to have anything to do with him."

Eventually, Jack Nicklaus, who Trevino beat more than any of Nicklaus' supposed rivals in majors, convinced the Merry Mex to come back.

"I never told Jack about it," Trevino added. "I went back and I didn't say anything. It wasn't Augusta at all. I loved Augusta."

The response back then to Trevino's decision to avoid Augusta was that he must have known his low fade wouldn't work at Augusta National. Trevino's response, then and now, is rooted in history.

He said, "Jimmy Demaret won it three times with a fade."
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

watson / palmer / spieth - need / needed the PGA to complete the grand slam 

This week while talking about Rory and his failures at Augusta in his pursuit of the career grand slam, the golf channel was showing clips of the PGA at Pecan Valley, specifically Arnold missing the 8 footer on 18 to tie.

It was gut wrenching to watch.

Chamblee was on The Ticket this week and said the preferred ball flight for a right-handed player is predominantly left to right except on a few holes (10 and 13 for sure). I feel like you’ve got to get the ball way up in the air on approach shots so it can better hold the greens.

3 minutes ago, Esque said:

I'm enjoying the Bryson melt down at this point.  My money is long gone on that bet, so might as well enjoy the show.

Is it a meltdown when he hasn't been in contention all week? I guess he looked like he had something going after Friday's round.

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Is it a meltdown when he hasn't been in contention all week? I guess he looked like he had something going after Friday's round.

Bryson seems to be in perpetual meltdown, even when he's winning. 

We are who we are, but with a different attitude and persona he could be the most loved player on tour. But I suppose who he is has made him as good as he is as well. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, pops said:

Bryson seems to be in perpetual meltdown, even when he's winning. 

Hahaha. I was going to make this point, too. It's amazing he's even won on tour with how he looks during every tournament. Like he could shit out a diamond. 

I feel like Phil has a little bit of that.

And on your second point - it's like whenever people say: "Well if Tiger didn't have that huge cheating scandal and substance issues he could have won 20 majors!". Yeah, except that's who Tiger is and why he won the first 14. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Tiger won 14 majors because of affairs and drug abuse is certainly a Masters level shit post.

Oh for fuck's sake. The point is that you can't separate the man on the course from the man off of it. Or the results from the display. But I know this is Surly and I have to spell everything out for people. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I want to root for Justin Rose but a small ridiculous thing makes it hard. That's that damn Mastercard logo on the collar of his shirt. Just awful. Sorta like Bryson and his dumb hat. Just a dumb thing that makes me incapable of rooting for them.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, immamac said:

Yeah that's it for spieth, I guess I'm rooting for zalatoris today. 

Me and this guy are rooting for Matsuyama:

mqdefault.jpg

Srsly tho, the guy has been close in a number of majors, about time he got hisself one.

Of course I just jinxed him, and he will now fail miserably.

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I want to root for Justin Rose but a small ridiculous thing makes it hard. That's that damn Mastercard logo on the collar of his shirt. Just awful. Sorta like Bryson and his dumb hat. Just a dumb thing that makes me incapable of rooting for them.

The King of the Mountain polka dots are worse than the MasterCollar.