Loki on Disney+

mdmost

• mdmost changed the title to Loki on Disney+
3 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Looks better than Falcon and Winter Soldier, but then again, anything would probably be better.

Yep, looks way better than the 3 amigos.

But that trailer is giving me Umbrella Academy vibes. Not a bad thing.

6 minutes ago, ajax said:

But that trailer is giving me Umbrella Academy vibes. Not a bad thing.

So WandaVision kicked off Phase 4 of the MCU on TV, while the upcoming Black Widow movie kicks off Phase 4 in the movies.  F/WS is filling in backstory and/or setting up F/WS for future Avenger stuff. Everything is messed up though, because Black Widow was supposed to come out last year.  Then again, some of the MCU TV shows were supposed to as well.

Loki is odd to me though.  It looks like Black Widow is in it at one point, which is possible since this is jumping around in Marvel timelines. Feels like it could setup the Secret Wars

Loki feels like it's going to be fun as hell to watch, and it also feels like a great vehicle to retcon and/or fix a whole shitload of MCU plot points. At one point in that trailer, they  show a diagram MCU timelines.

Still want to know why Black Widow, which is set after Civil War, is what is kicking off Phase 4 in the movies. Feels like Loki could tie in somehow.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I’m ready for next Wodan’s day.

don’t know if this is spoilery or not

Spoiler

Also not sure if it is accurate, but google listed Hemsworth, RDJ, Elba and Evans as cast members. I mean, considering the time this is jumping around in, it would be hard to not have some shots of their characters (old footage), if not full on cameos.  We see Loki call for Thor right as he seems to get grabbed by the bifrost.  Seems reasonable  

Highly entertained. Didn’t expect that there was only one timeline/universe. 

Also the during the pre-trial explaining: A nexus event (Wanda) if left unchecked can lead to madness in the multiverse 

Edited by UT_OB1

Question: for those who've already watched Ep 1:

Spoiler

One thing I don't understand is how Loki didn't have his powers in the TVA bureaucratic labyrinthine waiting line but then suddenly gained them back to jump all over the place when Owen wasn't in the room. I mean, they made a show of him "on the stand" not being able to do anything but embarrass himself. How did he get them back again? He still had his collar on when they came back in. What am I missing?

That question aside, the first episode was a lot of fun.

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

Question: for those who've already watched Ep 1:

Hide contents

One thing I don't understand is how Loki didn't have his powers in the TVA bureaucratic labyrinthine waiting line but then suddenly gained them back to jump all over the place when Owen wasn't in the room. I mean, they made a show of him "on the stand" not being able to do anything but embarrass himself. How did he get them back again? He still had his collar on when they came back in. What am I missing?

That question aside, the first episode was a lot of fun.

I don’t think it’s a spoiler to say he was using the time collar on himself. He had the control for it that he pick pocketed. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I don’t think it’s a spoiler to say he was using the time collar on himself. He had the control for it that he pick pocketed. 

I'm going to have to watch it again to see how/when he got that remote, because I totally missed it. My recollection is that he didn't get it until after he did the disappear/reappear thing when Owen Wilson came back into the room. Prior to that, he couldn't do shit (I think).

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, bolverk said:

I'm going to have to watch it again to see how/when he got that remote, because I totally missed it. My recollection is that he didn't get it until after he did the disappear/reappear thing when Owen Wilson came back into the room. Prior to that, he couldn't do shit (I think).

Owen offered him a hand up off the ground. You see them sort of brush up 

edit - I wonder if he’s going to stop being Owen at any point during the show. I thought he did a good job not being Owen. I might actually call him Mobius at some point this season. 

Edited by UT_OB1

I really dug the retro late 60s/70s vibe of the TVA.  Very cool and very well done.  

9 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Really great start.   And holy shit the editing is great - did not realize over 40 minutes had passed by so quickly.  

This. My dog needed to go outside, so I paused it.  Those 35 minutes seemed like 10 or 15.  Is it Wednesday yet?  Very strong episode.

edit - I wonder if he’s going to stop being Owen at any point during the show. I thought he did a good job not being Owen. I might actually call him Mobius at some point this season. 

I thought he was perfect. Can’t imagine anyone else in the role now, even after only one episode.

Owen offered him a hand up off the ground. You see them sort of brush up 

Owen even commented on it when he realized he had been pick-pocketed.

Spoiler

We know that an upcoming movie is called Dr. Strange and the Multiverse Madness.   As described in Ep1, the whole point of the TVA is to keep things on a single timeline. The MCU always has unexpected twists and turns, but it seems like they are setting up for Loki to upend that Status Quo and let the multi-verses run free.

Good start to the show.

53 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

So Wanda in Wandavision cried.  Bucky in Falcon/Winter Soldier cried.  Loki cried.

Really going all in on the pain stuff.

And this was amusing

The Multiverse of Sadness. 

• Like 1

Outstanding first ep. My thoughts. This show is going to get pretty deep.

Spoiler

1. Freedom of choice.

Old Loki at Germany and the beginning of the show wanted to be a God who limited freedom of choices. Choice leads to bad things. He wanted to subvert his minions to give them no choices.

Going through the timeline, he realizes that his life is pre-ordained. This timeline/universe is already set. He is going to kill his mom, become good and die at the hands of Thanos. He now realizes that he has no choice. He is a subject of what he wanted to do everyone in Midgard in Germany. That's a cruel irony to find out.

2. Loki is the devil Variant.

His goal is to rule Midgard. Then Mobius says why not rule space. I think that's what Variant Loki wants to do. Rule space which is time. Also in doing so, he's fighting for people to have freedom of choice, the exact opposite of what he tried to do in Germany.

This sets up this next MCU phase to be pretty damn deep. Is Loki a villain or a savior? Both. He wants to be the villain ruler saving everyone the freedom of choice.