Loki on Disney+

mdmost

1 hour ago, NOMAAA said:

safe to say kang is in the eternals too?

I doubt it. Maybe in some form but not with Jonathan Majors playing him. More likely you'll see him pop up in Dr. Strange 2. Definitely in Ant Man 3 as he was already announced as the villain. 

Lol Damn y’all some of love some time travel stuff.  Not a big fan of it. Show was good but less than Wanda Vision and Winter Soldier. It got somewhere finally but could have been 8 episodes.  Ready for Thor Love and War. F Loki (Great actor though)

Winter Soldier was too formulaic. Easily the weakest of the three Disney+ shows so far. It seemed like it should have been a movie, not a show. 

In my opinion, Wanda/Loki were better because of their uniqueness and trying something new, at least as it relates to superhero movies or tv shows to date. And I don’t think either of them could have been movies, there was too much story and they needed the extended exposition to tell them properly. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

WandaVision and Loki also had better villains, even if neither was really about having a villain. The Flag Smasher were poorly done which I know was partially due to the pandemic but both they and the Power Broker were terrible compared to Agatha and the TVA. Zemo made the show a lot better. 

I think Hawkeye will also be a let down. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

FATWS needed to be longer, maybe 12 eps, and include the virus plot (or another subplot). It needed to be slower and to give the plot time to marinate. It ended up being formulaic and almost checkbox-driven. Not just show us once to establish the plot element, e.g. not being able to trade on his name with the bank, but actually make us feel something. WV and Loki had no problems in that regard.

2 hours ago, hornian said:

Winter Soldier was too formulaic. Easily the weakest of the three Disney+ shows so far. It seemed like it should have been a movie, not a show. 

The MCU shows on Disney+ all have a purpose - world building for the larger MCU and/or setting up future MCU movies.

Wanda and Loki both setup definite MCU movies (mostly Doctor Strange and Ant-Man/Wasp and Guardians) with major implications for those movies, and we didn't know where Wanda and Loki would start and end in terms of the impact they would have.

F/WS was doing some world-building, and was taking us from Point A to Point B with a few stops in between.  

The problem is we already knew that Point A was Sam as Falcon and Point B was Sam as Captain America. Everything else was some villain and organization world building stuff that probably won't pay off until deep in Phase 4 or in early Phase 5, BUT it may not even pay off in the movies. It may stay confined to Disney+ TV shows (Hawkeye, Secret Invasion, Armor Wars, etc.).

Marvel and Disney, and the MCU actors are very comfortable moving back and forth between TV shows now - Disney is willing to put the money in to make its shows operate  at the same level as its films, and the actors are getting paid the same (or actually more in some cases from what's been hinted at).

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Apep said:

FATWS needed to be longer, maybe 12 eps, and include the virus plot (or another subplot).

It definitely needed that virus plot, and would be cool if they'd add that in somehow in the future (maybe a special edition where they throw some storyboards up with the actors doing some dialogue over it).  But I get the whole sensitivity about the pandemic - the virus plot may have been taken from the comics, but your typical MCU viewer would not be aware of that.

Needed a lot more Madripoor, a lot more Zemo, and a lot more Sharon Carter and her organization.  If it had more room to breathe, none of us would be going "OMG they have two episodes left, how are they going to introduce this person or wrap this plot up?"

I thought John Walker was awesome, and I look forward to whatever role he plays (I'm leaning towards Secret Wars/Invasion/Armor Wars).

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/14/2021 at 10:31 PM, atomheartbevo said:

E6UFl4UXoAE2JbF?format=jpg&name=900x900

Also ,this is the exact vibe I had during this episode, and not in a good way.  My biggest beef with the Avengers stuff was the time travel thing.  Now apparently we get time travel, multiverses and more  Didn't realize Marvel had this much jibber jabber in it.  Makes everything very less compelling, imo, even for fun popcorn stuff. 

WandaVision is such a clear favorite for me.  I'll go with Loki as second b/c of Hiddelston's acting chops, but that's about it.  Cap/Winter soldier was outright shitty tv.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Also ,this is the exact vibe I had during this episode, and not in a good way.  My biggest beef with the Avengers stuff was the time travel thing.  Now apparently we get time travel, multiverses and more  Didn't realize Marvel had this much jibber jabber in it.  Makes everything very less compelling, imo, even for fun popcorn stuff. 

WandaVision is such a clear favorite for me.  I'll go with Loki as second b/c of Hiddelston's acting chops, but that's about it.  Cap/Winter soldier was outright shitty tv.

Agree, they blew it on the final episode of Loki.  And I love the series, but they mostly ignored the personal stakes they setup for Loki and Sylvie and we got 30 minutes of He Who Remains talking at us to give us exposition to setup Phase 4.

Also agree w/ the confusing terminology re: multiverse and timeline.  Does each universe have its own timeline?  Or are the branches on the off the old sacred timeline now the different 'verses?

4 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I wouldn't overthink it too much.  The Multiverse stuff is a huge part of Marvel comics, and this could be simply how they get the X-Men into things.

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

I wouldn't overthink it too much.  The Multiverse stuff is a huge part of Marvel comics, and this could be simply how they get the X-Men into things.

Exactly this. It's like science in Star Wars. Don't overthink it. It has its own rules and who gives a shit if it makes sense. We'll get kickass shit like a new, finally decent Fantastic Four movie and more X-Men. Plus What If? is entirely based on the Multiverse. Don't overthink it. Just enjoy it. Hell, they might make Galactus a giant version of Kang that combines his abilities with Alioth to start devouring worlds. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 4

24 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

image.gif.e3afa1e0ada9f37bd673e495db2a142d.gif

In unrelated news, I've said since the 80s, that the ags are the Ferengi of college football.  Never dangerous on their own, but always capable of messing it up for the actual good, strong forces of the galaxy.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I  may watch it for Tom, When he became Loki in the Movie,  I didn't know that was him.....

Great actor.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1399664/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_12

The Night Manager was a great series showing off his acting.  I may have to rewatch. Him and Hugh Laurie were great.

Edited by William Wallace
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Am I the only one that doesn’t want the X-Men to join the Marvel Universe? I like superheroes being few and far between. Not everyone and their mother having powers.

Not like Wolverine was an Avenger at one point or anything 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Am I the only one that doesn’t want the X-Men to join the Marvel Universe? I like superheroes being few and far between. Not everyone and their mother having powers.

They’re going to run the Marvel franchise into the ground by going full comic-book on the multiverse. That’s not a criticism, just the best path forward. Otherwise you end up with the historical hodgepodge of separate universes, frequent reboots, and failure to extract every last dime from fans. 

2 hours ago, ernest_t_bass said:

It is SO much better than 95% of what is on TV.

Stop saying this. No it's not. There are awesome shows everywhere. You can throw a rock on Netflix, HBO, Apple, Hulu, etc. and find a show much better than Falcon/Winter Soldier.

...unless you mean "TV" in the traditional sense: ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Apep said:

They’re going to run the Marvel franchise into the ground by going full comic-book on the multiverse. That’s not a criticism, just the best path forward. Otherwise you end up with the historical hodgepodge of separate universes, frequent reboots, and failure to extract every last dime from fans. 

I think this is the goal. Comics are like complicated, and not so complicated, soap operas but with pictures and pretend violence. Characters have been dying and reincarnated so many fucking times. With the MCU Multiverse, you can reincarnate characters with new, younger actors and keep going for perpetuity. MCU Iron Man may get reincarnated in the not so distant future played by a new younger actor.

I'm geek about about the MCU because I read a ton of comics as a kid. It's amazing having my childhood heroes move from 2D to 3D. But like with why I stopped reading comics, the novelty wore off and stories got stale, confusing, and boring. At some point, the MCU will wear off.

The good news is there is a new generation of kids like I was decades ago who will continue to watch these movies for another 2-3 decades.

On 7/20/2021 at 1:26 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Fair enough.  I really enjoyed the episode prior to this one, so I probably shouldn't hammer (heh) too much.

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

So…it’s Wednesday…no new Loki ep to watch tonight…. What If starts, when?

Grab HBOMax, watch Chernobyl, Westworld, Rome, From the Earth to the Moon, Band of Brothers, etc.

Westworld is scratching my Loki itch, but I've only seen bits and pieces and random episodes, so watching it from the beginning has been a treat.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Apep said:

Nope.  You're thinking small potatoes man.  The universe is a biiig place.  Set up an Annihilation to Realm of Kings arc, and you've got plenty to go on for years.ojil6I1.thumb.jpg.22be3b7209ccd188535c16c8f81a186d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

31 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Grab HBOMax, watch Chernobyl, Westworld, Rome, From the Earth to the Moon, Band of Brothers, etc.

Westworld is scratching my Loki itch, but I've only seen bits and pieces and random episodes, so watching it from the beginning has been a treat.

Rome… LOVED that series. Wish they had stretched it out to four seasons. I’m known to throw out a Pullo, Vorenus, and Antony quote from time to time. Respect to those who catch them 

Edited by Dutch

On 7/15/2021 at 3:55 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Username checks out like crazy.

Well now that you mention it, I'm not sure I understand how Captain America was able to make it back at the end of Endgame. Wouldn't he have created a branch timeline?

3 hours ago, Bookman said:

Well now that you mention it, I'm not sure I understand how Captain America was able to make it back at the end of Endgame. Wouldn't he have created a branch timeline?

They said in the show, maybe the first episode that all the time travel shenanigans if Endgame were deemed to be the "correct" timeline by the time keepers.

58 minutes ago, Hawndoh said:

They said in the show, maybe the first episode that all the time travel shenanigans if Endgame were deemed to be the "correct" timeline by the time keepers.

Which only explains why that timeline wasn't pruned, right?

If he goes back, returns the stones, then decides to live a life with Peggy Carter, why wouldn't that be a nexus event that creates a branch universe? And if that happened, how did he travel from that branch to his original timeline?

13 hours ago, freyguy said:

Nope.  You're thinking small potatoes man.  The universe is a biiig place.  Set up an Annihilation to Realm of Kings arc, and you've got plenty to go on for years.ojil6I1.thumb.jpg.22be3b7209ccd188535c16c8f81a186d.jpg

That’s pretty much what I said, though I knew that a comic fan would be along to criticize my use of the word “multiverse” because I’m too lazy to look up the overarching term for the entirety  of everything.

• 1 month later...

Just binged this on a couple of long flights and in some hotel downtime this week-- was really good and from reading this entire 7 page thread, I get the feeling that binging it versus watching it and waiting for the next ep week over week was way better and made the story make more sense.

Also, it made the finale way better, compared to a lot of the initial reviews and comments and all the dialogue was not a let down or disappointment, but was actually just as compelling and interesting than a bunch of fighting and action. Lastly the actor who played Kang was amazing and stole the show and I thought was awesome. Surprised to hear folks didn't like him.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Lastly the actor who played Kang was amazing and stole the show and I thought was awesome. Surprised to hear folks didn't like him.

They better get to like him, since he's one of the main baddies in the next phase.

I think the problem is that he was introduced in the last episode, and a lot of people don't like when you have this big buildup, and  then the main bad guy only shows up in the last episode.

• 1 year later...