Ken Burns Documentary: Hemingway

DonkeyCigars

Debuts tonight, looks to be awesome. Papa Hemingway vs. The facade of Masculinity. Lots of mythology to unpack in one of the greatest writers of modernity.

Ken Burns’ latest is a three-part documentary series on Ernest Hemingway, one of America’s greatest and most influential writers. The six-hour series, from Burns and Lynn Novick, examines the visionary work and the turbulent life of Hemingway, interweaving his eventful biography with carefully selected excerpts from his iconic short stories, novels, and non-fiction, to reveal the brilliant, ambitious, charismatic, and complicated man behind the myth, and the art he created. Tonight’s first part covers Hemingway as he volunteers for the Red Cross during World War I, and his life after moving to Paris, as he finds success with his second novel, “A Farewell to Arms.” The next two parts air Tuesday and Wednesday at 8 p.m.

• Hook 'Em 6

PBS?

I had no idea, I don't think, that this was in the works.

I very much enjoy Hemingway, especially his short stories.  As a callow youth, I was dismayed and disheartened by his struggles and ultimately self-imposed demise.  Having since endured similar struggles with an as-yet different outcome, I am far less dismayed.

I rather enjoyed the Hemingway & Gellhorn thing on HBO.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I had no idea, I don't think, that this was in the works.

I remember hearing about it when his Country Music series came out (which was being made while he was working on Vietnam), that it was his next one, and had already started production

He's got a lot in the works -  American Revolution seems to be his next "BIG" documentary.

• Ali (2021, with Sarah Burns and David McMahon)
  • The Holocaust & the United States (working title) (2023, with Lynn Novick and Sarah Botstein)
  • Benjamin Franklin (2022)
  • The American Buffalo (2024)
  • Leonardo da Vinci (2025)
  • The American Revolution (2025)
  • LBJ & the Great Society (2027, with Lynn Novick)
  • The History of Reconstruction (TBA)
  • Winston Churchill (TBA)

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I remember hearing about it when his Country Music series came out (which was being made while he was working on Vietnam), that it was his next one, and had already started production

He's got a lot in the works -  American Revolution seems to be his next "BIG" documentary.

• The Holocaust & the United States (working title) (2023, with Lynn Novick and Sarah Botstein)

Fucking incredible.  My late grandmother had the good fortune to be in his Dust Bowl doc, so my mom and her sister got to work with Ken Burns and Dayton Duncan quite a bit and they are apparently the nicest people ever.  He and his team are truly a national treasure.

58 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The American Revolution will be interesting. No historic photos are available of course. I imagine it'll feature many historic paintings, battle reenactments, and battlefield landscape shots, but it'll interesting to see how Burns puts it all together.  

I'm sure I said it in another thread, but The West is my favorite Ken Burns documentary.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The American Revolution will be interesting. No historic photos are available of course. I imagine it'll feature many historic paintings, battle reenactments, and battlefield landscape shots, but it'll interesting to see how Burns puts it all together.  

I'm sure I said it in another thread, but The West is my favorite Ken Burns documentary.  

The dustbowl series or the national park series ?

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Not a big Hemingway his life was an adventure, and I'll be watching.   It's Ken Burns, always worth the watch.

My guilty pleasure. I know many historians don't rate him very highly, but I'll also stand up for him as a filmmaker doing his best.

9 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

My guilty pleasure. I know many historians don't rate him very highly, but I'll also stand up for him as a filmmaker doing his best.

He makes history very accessible as a good story that doesn't stray from the basic facts most of the time.

My bucket list is to stay in all the lodges. I think they're among some of our most interesting, and beautifully designed pieces of national architecture.

It's hard to beat baseball, which is currently running on PBS every Thursday night. They're up to episode 4 this week I think.

I still think the civil war is his best, or at least most powerful, from episode to episode, but having just finished Jazz, I'd put that up there among his best work.  Jazz is a uniquely American musical vibe that has shaped our musical, and pop (for better and worse) culture since its inception, and I found myself loving it more than I thought I would cause I just don't know jazz history that well beyond the really big folks.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

The Country Music one is one of his best.  Can't recommend it enough

I really wish my grandma had lived for another year or so - she would have been able to watch the Country Music one, because she would have loved the coverage they gave of the 20s-40s - she listened to all of that music.

44 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This one. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_West_(miniseries)

Burns was the executive producer. Directed by Stephen Ives, so not technically a Ken Burns film. 

Yeah The West is great. 

I do put The National Parks as the best overall. Kinda my wheelhouse and has made an eternal mark on me. 

Should be required viewing for all citizens. Shit, all non-citizens too. Just people in general. It’s a 12 hour love letter to the best of what humanity can be. 

"Okay, I get it, get to the fucking life story".  [Said by both my wife and I at the same time, right before they started up into "Hemingway was born on_______"].

Ken falls in love with some of the opinions of his commentators.  In Baseball, it ruined it, because some of those commentators were just fans and didn't add much. 

I don't mind telling us, and then showing us, but tell us one, maybe two times.

So yeah, six hours isn't enough, but will withhold judgment until I see the whole thing to decide whether it is too much. 

That being said, I hope they go back to the short stories again and again, because they were great on a couple of them and there are a whole lot more.

50 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

"Okay, I get it, get to the fucking life story".  [Said by both my wife and I at the same time, right before they started up into "Hemingway was born on_______"].

Ken falls in love with some of the opinions of his commentators.  In Baseball, it ruined it, because some of those commentators were just fans and didn't add much. 

So yeah, six hours isn't enough, but will withhold judgment until I see the whole thing to decide whether it is too much. 

That being said, I hope they go back to the short stories again and again, because they were great on a couple of them and there are a whole lot more.

well you're pretty dumb

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tantric superman said:

Please don't "Pan's Labyrinth" my Hemingway thread with your unique brand of bad taste. This is Hemingway + Ken Burns here. Either shut your mouth and get onboard for the ride or get out of here!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, tantric superman said:

The actual quote: "The moon did cast, and shine its pearly, and other worldly light upon the barren landscape"....  

Your preferred version " Hey look the moon is fucking bright".

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The actual quote: "The moon did cast, and shine its pearly, and other worldly light upon the barren landscape"....  

Your preferred version " Hey look the moon is fucking bright".

Hemingway would have hated that intro.  Although he would have liked the Tobias Wolff bits - I think he had a bit before the truth started.

45 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Oh no, you don't deserve any "mys" with Hemingway, or del Toro, for that matter.

As usual, nobody understands what you are saying and your opinions on Arts & Entertainment betray you as someone who was raised without an ability to consume or appreciate literature and film.

Your attempts to acquire as much culture in your adulthood wears cheap and thin, lacking depth in your hurry to gather it.

Really, it’s your parents fault. Do better with your kids; start with Hemingway, end with a proper appraisal of del Tonto...er Toro.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

1 hour ago, DonkeyCigars said:

As usual, nobody understands what you are saying and your opinions on Arts & Entertainment betray you as someone who was raised without an ability to consume or appreciate literature and film.

Your attempts to acquire as much culture in your adulthood wears cheap and thin, lacking depth in your hurry to gather it.

Really, it’s your parents fault. Do better with your kids; start with Hemingway, end with a proper appraisal of del Tonto...er Toro.

The hell with it, thought TS.  The utter complete hell with it.  So this is what it's going to be like.  Well, this is what it's going to be like then. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Damn I had no idea he had a bunch of shit out there. Only seen Vietnam and Country Music ones (I think). Got a lot to catch up on. 

Go watch his Civil War series.  

And then try and get this song out of your head 

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So-so on Ernie, but The Old Man and the Sea is to me his best by far... and man it's a briliant write (boring?  Goes nowhere?  Doesn't do anything?  He sluffed it out knowing he was about to can it all?).  If that's the take, you don't understand it, or him (I said, snobbishly).

Anyway, Ernie's like many well-known's... brilliant but fucked up personally.  Makes for a good doc, though.  Plus, I like skiing in Idaho, don't see what he thought was so bad about it.

Edited by phdhorn